• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's Talk NFL Rookie of the Year

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How has Wentz played better...Dak averages more yards per game, has a higher QB Rating, more yards per attempt, high completion percentage, same touchdown/interception ratio, has more rushing yards and touchdowns rushing, better team record, just set the record for most pass attempts before a player's first career interception. I'm just not seeing a single area where you can say Wentz has been better.

Wentz has been better. Dallas has a waaay better OLine, better RB and better receivers. You have to analyze the types of throws they are making. Dak first 5 weeks he was dinking and dunking on simple throws and doing it perfectly. Wentz has made throws with much much more difficulty. I just read something ranking the passes so far this year and Wentz was rated #1 while Dak was at 15. Ask any GM who'd they rather have. The reason everyone is talking about bringing Romo back is because he makes plays down field while Dak hasn't (had two nice ones vs GB though).

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak has been more impressive than Wentz in my opinion.

That's just ridiculous. The difficulty of throws isn't even comparable. Wentz won rookie of the month. Dak has been flawless running the system but they are playing completely different. One has a superstar RB with a dominating oLine.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this doesn't get spun into me ripping Dak cause he's been fabulous. He's poised, he is mistake free for the most part, he is a leader and looks like the perfect fit for this offense. His number are going to get steadily better then Wentz with the absence of Lane Johnson. Wentz got sacked 3 times in the first quarter.

Wentz ' knock I'd he looks for the home run play too much and has struggled with that the last two weeks. But you just have to look at the types of plays they are converting. The types of throws Wentz is delivering are much MUCH higher on the difficulty level then what Dak has been asked to do. Wentz is threading the needle on deep passes with a shake OLINE and awful receivers. He has had four 40+ yard bombs dropped this year. The Eagles have a ton of holes but they need to find him a go to WR desperately.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz has been better. Dallas has a waaay better OLine, better RB and better receivers. You have to analyze the types of throws they are making. Dak first 5 weeks he was dinking and dunking on simple throws and doing it perfectly. Wentz has made throws with much much more difficulty. I just read something ranking the passes so far this year and Wentz was rated #1 while Dak was at 15. Ask any GM who'd they rather have. The reason everyone is talking about bringing Romo back is because he makes plays down field while Dak hasn't (had two nice ones vs GB though).
Is that why Dak had a higher pass yards per attempt than Wentz the first 5 games?

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also saying Beasley Williams and Brice Butler is that much better than Mathews Beckham and Huff is quite a stretch. They are even at best.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that why Dak had a higher pass yards per attempt than Wentz the first 5 games?

Yeah, a dump off pass to Beasley with supreme blocking turns into a 55 yard play. The types of throws they are completing aren't even comparable.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also saying Beasley Williams and Brice Butler is that much better than Mathews Beckham and Huff is quite a stretch. They are even at best.

You are right on that cause Dez isn't playing. Again, Zeek is the rookie of the year so far. But if you're just being objective Wentz is completing All Pro types of throws that Dak hasnt... and it really isn't even close. Wentz is running for his life and threading the needle throwing across his body while Dak sits behind and iron wall all is doing a tremendous job of picking teams apart targeting the open receiver. You have every right to be sky high on Dak... but they are playing a completely different type of game.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a dump off pass to Beasley with supreme blocking turns into a 55 yard play. The types of throws they are completing aren't even comparable.
Quarterback Air Yards: 2016 NFL Season

Air yards is defined as the total distance that a football is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. Air yards is calculated by taking total passing yards and subtracting Yards After the Catch (YAC).

upload_2016-10-18_13-27-53.png
upload_2016-10-18_13-28-11.png
upload_2016-10-18_13-28-28.png

Might want to check your facts there

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterback Air Yards: 2016 NFL Season

Air yards is defined as the total distance that a football is thrown beyond the line of scrimmage to the point of reception. Air yards is calculated by taking total passing yards and subtracting Yards After the Catch (YAC).

View attachment 149878
View attachment 149879
View attachment 149880

Might want to check your facts there

So what about the four dropped bombs. I read before last week Dak had completed one pass of over 20 yards thrown. You are just being closed minded or not watching both QBS if you think the types of throws they are making are similar.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what about the four dropped bombs. I read before last week Dak had completed one pass of over 20 yards thrown. You are just being closed minded or not watching both QBS if you think the types of throws they are making are similar.
And how many bombs have wr's dropped for Dak I can count at least 3-4 off the top of my head. The stats speak for themselves.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest the difference between Dak and Carson is perception. It depends on who you are talking to. Both of them have put up really good numbers for rookies. They protect the ball and are doing good things when asked to throw. The stats are very close and you could argue that overall Dak has performed better and I was just looking at numbers I would have to agree. I have watched most of the games for both of them and overall I believe Carson Wentz is the better QB. One of the thngs that stand out to me are the stats vs the blitz. This is one area where it is not even close. Carson Wentz is not only way ahead between the two he is one of the best in the NFL vs. the blitz. Dak does struggle vs. the blitz.

What about team situations? It could be easily argued that Dak has a better situation than Carson does. The Cowboys have one of the best lines in the NFL and are featuring the NFL's best rushing attack. When you can run the ball effectively that opens up the passing game. Play action is a potent play. Teams don't get to just pin their ears rush only the QB ignoring the run. The Cowboys are a run first team. Having Zeke makes his job that much easier. However....having Zeke does not mean the he does not have to execute. Dak still has to make the throws. Follow the progressions and hit the open receivers. His protection is better so he has a little more time but he is still executing very well.

Then there are the receivers. Dak does not have Dez and the Eagles don't have a receiver remotely close to Dez on the roster. However Dak is performing without a good receiving core. He is simply getting job done.

What about dropped passes? The Eagles have 8 dropped passes according to several sites. These very same sites list the Cowboys as having only 2 drops. I believe that is only through last week and does not include the most recent games.

Then there are the opponents. The Eagles have actually faced teams with worse defenses than the Cowboys. The common opponents so far this year are the Bears and the Redskins. Dak did really good against the Bears completing almost 80% of his passes and 1 TD pass. He did not have any TD's in that game. Carson Wentz did pretty good against the Bears the he only had 190 yards and 1 TD pass but IIRC correctly that game had a couple sure TD drops. Against the Skins Dak did well there also but no TD passes in that game but his stats were pretty good. Carson Wentz only completed 50% of his passes and no TD passes. You have to take into account he was under pressure all game because the offensive line was just brutal. I would not say he played bad in that game. That is why you have to look at everything.

I guess the decision maker for me on who is better is based on the what each QB has around them. From what I have seen Carson seems to be better in the pocket and grasps more of the game and reading defenses which is why he is so much better than the blitz. I think that Carson would be putting up MVP type number if he was on the Cowboys and I don't think Dak would do as well if he was on the Eagles but that is just me. That point could be argued to death without any way to prove any theory.

With all of that said while I think Carson is the better QB right now I will concede that based on the numbers Dak is having the better season so far.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems kind of funny reading through some of your posts about how objective people can see that Wentz is better. Well I am not a fan of either team and I think Dak has been incredible. That doesn't mean Wentz hasn't been great too just think right now Dak has done just as much for his team as Wentz.

Now I will give you that he has a better RB and OL but not like Philly has been terrible in those areas. I mean they have a top-10 rushing game just like that of Philly. Until this last game I thought Wentz had gotten great protection in the pocket just like Dak. As for WR's you have to remember Dak has been without his #1 WR most of the year so not sure you can say he has better WR's at this time.

And the reason they are talking about Romo coming back in is because he is being paid a butt load of money. Hard to see that much money just sit on the bench collecting pay checks. Heck Wentz wasn't even going to start the season until they Eagles traded Bradford. Money talks in this league. Just part of the equation.

And as for Dak going deep I have seen him plenty throw deep. I have also seen his WR's drop a ton of his deep balls that should have been easy catches.

One thing you are also not including in this argument is the ability to run. Right now Dak has 3 rushing touchdowns on the season to 0 for Wentz. We are not just looking at these guys as passers in this argument but the overall package they bring to the team.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have 2 dropped passes this year but they've dropped 3 or 4 bombs like the Eagles. People just make crap up. Dak doesn't throw deep passes like Wentz
Like I said in the first 5 weeks Dak completed 1 pass that traveled over 20 yards while Wentz was throwing gorgeous bombs.
The don't ask or need Dak to throw deep balls but it's night and day between what is being asked of these two. One is a game manager and one is "Put the entire te on your back and win" type.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys have 2 dropped passes this year but they've dropped 3 or 4 bombs like the Eagles. People just make crap up. Dak doesn't throw deep passes like Wentz
Like I said in the first 5 weeks Dak completed 1 pass that traveled over 20 yards while Wentz was throwing gorgeous bombs.
The don't ask or need Dak to throw deep balls but it's night and day between what is being asked of these two. One is a game manager and one is "Put the entire te on your back and win" type.

So the fact that the Eagles are a top-10 rushing team means nothing when it comes to the pressure being put on the shoulders of the QB. Or how about having a top-3 defense helping keep the score down making it much easier to win games. Or how about they attempt pretty close to the same number of passes but in those passes Dak has been the more efficient one. If we want to switch over the ESPN QB Rating stat Carson Wentz is 25th where Dak is 2nd.

Also just so you know efficient doesn't mean just game manager. Brady rarely throws deep but hey he is considered a top-3 QB in the NFL. Manning fell into that same category. It means that Dak has been smart with the football but at the same time has been very good at his team driving down and actually scoring touchdowns.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you haven't been watching or reading the papers. Ain't no one thinking Dak is out playing Wentz. You can throw all these skewed stats you want but they are being asked to do two completely different things. The level of difficulty on the throws aren't even comparable. The Eagles have the 3rd best D in the NFL? Hillarious.

I don't want to sound like I'm down on Dak cause he's been great but they are doing 2 completely different things. Ones a game manager, ones a superstar.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder why Dak didn't win rookie of the month or NFL player of rhe week like Wentz. People just can't be real.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude you haven't been watching or reading the papers. Ain't no one thinking Dak is out playing Wentz. You can throw all these skewed stats you want but they are being asked to do two completely different things. The level of difficulty on the throws aren't even comparable. The Eagles have the 3rd best D in the NFL? Hillarious.

I don't want to sound like I'm down on Dak cause he's been great but they are doing 2 completely different things. Ones a game manager, ones a superstar.

Oh I read plenty and not everybody is agreeing with you here. I could easily find 10 articles in less than 10 minutes that say Dak has been the better QB.

And yes the Eagles defense is ranked 3rd in both yards and points per game allowed. So yes I would say they are a top-3 defense in the NFL right now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder why Dak didn't win rookie of the month or NFL player of rhe week like Wentz. People just can't be real.

Or some fans can't get past their own homerism. We all have our biased opinions. We like to think we are objective but that is rarely the case.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me one article saying Dak is out playing Wentz and I'll call you king forever. The Eagles D got gas he'd back to back weeks and gave up 250 yards rushing to the Skins who have no run game but Eagles are top 3. Stupid.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you forgot the Eagles had a bye . Thats why the overall numbers are low.