• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many of these people with deep pockets are going to risk their own money on an unproven HS athlete, more so than they already are? Are they going to reach deeper in the pocketbooks?

And as far as a business goes. Are you going to place your product or business’s image on a highly touted yet unproven HS aged kid coming into college?

If I’m a high end business owner, I’m waiting for a highly marketable player to market.

If I’m a local sandwich or burger shop owner and fan of the team that resides in my college town, I’m bringing in the offensive line for a local tv commercial. That seems to make sense and I don’t see any harm in this.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would come back to this question. What is different between what you’ve laid out here, versus what is already established?

Duke already can’t compete in football recruiting vs FSU.

I honestly don’t think we will see a shift in recruits when this comes into law.

Bama, UGA, LSU, FSU, Clemson, Oky, tOSU are already getting the best football players.

It’s no longer players making money off the image and likeness. It’s paying players because they go to a school you want to be successful.

I don’t think the recruiting will be that affected, if anything it may help the teams that aren’t at the top because being a star instead of a backup might pay better.

I just don’t think it makes sense to pay athletes above and beyond what they’re already getting just because they play a sport.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ncaa has made college sports the only place where you can't profit from your talent or popularity and some people think thats great because they aren't the ones putting in the work.
No one thinks that's great. Red herring. And, they do profit ... they get considerable benefits from the schools in the form of scholarships, room and board, books, medical, etc. Don't tell me that's insignificant ... I am in year 2 of a 6 year period where I will be paying $500,000 for my sons' college education. It's significant and meaningful.

You post as if the NCAA is a bunch of meanies who want to screw the kids. The rules are there because when there weren't rules the system was abused. They are doing their best to keep some level of balance. That can't be ignored.
A baby in a Dove commercial gets money put away till they are 18 but a 20 year old man can't do a Pepsi commercial just because the ncaa wants total control of who makes money and how from that 20 year olds talent.
Per my point above, they don't do it out of animus for the players. In fact, almost all of the billion the NCAA makes goes to - wait for it - the student athletes. Where Does the Money Go?. And the parents of a baby in a Dove commercial would love to get 4 years of free college education, I can assure you of that.
It's just nuts that some here whine that "it won't be the same".
Why do you find it odd that those of us who are huge college fans would not want our game ruined? Take one of the things that means most to you in your life (nor family, work, but a hobby) ... do you want that ruined? I would assume not. So, why does it bother you that it bothers us?
Yes it might change some things but not as much as you guys think.
You say that as if you have a crystal ball. You have no idea if that is true or not. And, while I am not sure either, I can come up with dozens of scenarios that will play out that will drive huge change. Respond to some of the issues raised instead of calling us whiners. That would be a good start.
If instead of a bag man there's an adidas commercial whats so wrong about that?
The bag man is illegal, so that limits what happens. Take away the illegality and it will be a wild wild west of money. I paint two scenarios above ... counter those. They are both game changers, and I thought of those in 5 minutes. Wait until the real money gets involved.
Who were bag men paying? The top guys. Who would be the ones benefiting the most? The top guys. yeah the punter might make a little bit now but why is that so wrong? Go look at the football facilities at Alabama , Notre Dame, Ohio State. Then go look at UC San Diego, Tulane and tell me it's even now?
Several times in my post I mentioned that there is an obvious imbalance. Hell, I am arguing against my best interests ... UGA fans will certainly be amongst those who will come up with all sorts of money to lavish on the players. So, yeah, noting there is an imbalance already isn't an argument against creating a system where the imbalance will be unchecked.

As indicated here, on Twitter, and everyone else, this is a captivating subject. I wish people could discuss it with facts, and respectful opinions instead of attributing ill motives to people making the arguments. I really couldn't care less if we could come up with a fair, equitable way to compensate players that doesn't disrupt what I believe to be the best sport there is. What's wrong with wanting that.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how many of these people with deep pockets are going to risk their own money on an unproven HS athlete, more so than they already are? Are they going to reach deeper in the pocketbooks?

And as far as a business goes. Are you going to place your product or business’s image on a highly touted yet unproven HS aged kid coming into college?

If I’m a high end business owner, I’m waiting for a highly marketable player to market.

If I’m a local sandwich or burger shop owner and fan of the team that resides in my college town, I’m bringing in the offensive line for a local tv commercial. That seems to make sense and I don’t see any harm in this.
Who said it has to be a business? It just says they can sell their likeness. To anyone. To any group of anyones. I will repost two scenarios I posted above:

Two examples:

So, 1000 of us that are on a UGa sports board all donate $100 and create an annual $100,000 marketing budget. We will create an LLC. We will then tell Kirby that UGa Badass Sports Board LLC is ready and prepared to provide $10,000 payments to 10 student athletes for (1) signing 1000 jerseys we will provide, and then dropping by a bar of our choice after each game for a half hour to sign autographs and take pictures. Now, think that through with people who have real money, or teams with huge fanbases.

Or, T. Boone Pickens' estate could say, ole T. Boone loved him some OSU - he gave them over a half billion in his lifetime, $165 million to athletics alone. Now, with this new law (assuming OK comes along for the ride) we can put 100 Million into an endowment for marketing OSU athletes. At 5% per year, that give's "T. Boone OSU Football is the Best LLC" 5 million to divide how they want among the 85 scholarship football players. $60,00 for each player, without touching the principal which will continue to to grow. Remember, he already gave $500 million, what's another $100 million? Or, maybe we give $250,000 to the four best players, $100,000 to the next 20, and the the final 51 get $40,000 each. That should put together a hell of a team. Oh, yeah, all they have to do is a few parties each year, sign some jerseys.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s no longer players making money off the image and likeness. It’s paying players because they go to a school you want to be successful.

I don’t think the recruiting will be that affected, if anything it may help the teams that aren’t at the top because being a star instead of a backup might pay better.

I just don’t think it makes sense to pay athletes above and beyond what they’re already getting just because they play a sport.
So now these exact practices no longer need to be hidden.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said it has to be a business? It just says they can sell their likeness. To anyone. To any group of anyones. I will repost two scenarios I posted above:

Two examples:

So, 1000 of us that are on a UGa sports board all donate $100 and create an annual $100,000 marketing budget. We will create an LLC. We will then tell Kirby that UGa Badass Sports Board LLC is ready and prepared to provide $10,000 payments to 10 student athletes for (1) signing 1000 jerseys we will provide, and then dropping by a bar of our choice after each game for a half hour to sign autographs and take pictures. Now, think that through with people who have real money, or teams with huge fanbases.

Or, T. Boone Pickens' estate could say, ole T. Boone loved him some OSU - he gave them over a half billion in his lifetime, $165 million to athletics alone. Now, with this new law (assuming OK comes along for the ride) we can put 100 Million into an endowment for marketing OSU athletes. At 5% per year, that give's "T. Boone OSU Football is the Best LLC" 5 million to divide how they want among the 85 scholarship football players. $60,00 for each player, without touching the principal which will continue to to grow. Remember, he already gave $500 million, what's another $100 million? Or, maybe we give $250,000 to the four best players, $100,000 to the next 20, and the the final 51 get $40,000 each. That should put together a hell of a team. Oh, yeah, all they have to do is a few parties each year, sign some jerseys.

All of these could be problematic, sure. But that is a lot of what if this team does this and that team maybe does this.

It seems like these same topics you brought up will be on the table for discussion when this becomes a unified movement. I don’t know laws like you do, and I only have an elementary understanding of how it all will play out.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bidding wars that are being talked about will have a big time impact on the Jalen Hurts type of player, the transfer portal guys.

Or maybe an established proven great player like D’Eriq King ends up being a highest bidder situation.

I just don’t see Oklahoma State or any other mega booster throwing millions at HS kids who have potential to be great players. As if they are battling Bama, LSU, aTm, UGA, tOSU and Clemson to have the most elite recruiting classes every season.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of these could be problematic, sure. But that is a lot of what if this team does this and that team maybe does this.

It seems like these same topics you brought up will be on the table for discussion when this becomes a unified movement. I don’t know laws like you do, and I only have an elementary understanding of how it all will play out.
Welcome back, brother. I left for about 3 years ago, and came back recently. Not posting much, just here and there about things I care about. Hope you are well!

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back, brother. I left for about 3 years ago, and came back recently. Not posting much, just here and there about things I care about. Hope you are well!
Thank you, nice to you’re well. It sound a like we were gone about the same time. I’m new, couldn’t be better. Life has been great.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are people outside the athletic departments. Should they not make money on the Olympics,

You're stretching. You think whoever/whatever provides the entertainment should be compensated. But let's go with what you're saying. How about when the weather is the big news and everyone is "making millions/billions" on it? Who do we pay then? God doesn't need the money. Also, I didn't get my slice of the pie when I was shown on TV several times during my time in the service. You think I should be paid for that since someone made millions/billions while watching the news?
Olympians can make money. So thanks for buttressing MY argument.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Olympians get recruited to be Olympians? I mean it's not like they can play the US off against Canada or Russia and then go participate for the one that gives you the most money. College football players will be able to do that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be able to do it without fear of violations I’m sure Uncle Phil will be paying a hell of a lot more money to Oregon recruits rather than donations to the school.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're just pontificating; I didn't even mention the Olympics. I gave two different examples of when the "product" or "participants" aren't getting compensated at all.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other cases to consider

Jeremy Bloom
Donald De La Haye

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue isn’t commercials, a lot of athletes aren’t marketable, especially in college.

The issue becomes if you go to school at Florida State you can sign autographs for $400,000 and teach a booster how to shoot a kick a field goal for $200,000. If you go to Duke nobody will pay you to sign autographs unless you switch sports. So, how does Duke compete with Florida State?

The top guys will get money from endorsements, but the schools that have boosters with the deepest pockets will win the bidding wars and high schoolers are free agents[/QUOTE]

Just like it already is

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just pontificating; I didn't even mention the Olympics. I gave two different examples of when the "product" or "participants" aren't getting compensated at all.
You didn’t mention the Olympics?!?!

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're ignoring the fact that billions are now made off these athletes and the same deal they had since before the leather helmet days doesn't fly anymore. Just like the days companies had interns work a bunch of hours a week for nothing with the but they are learning the business excuse has gone out the window. Now they laws have changed where the intern has to be getting more from the deal than the company.
Yes there are going to be unintended consequences and people who try to skirt the system but you can't keep the same antiquated system going.
It's funny how the horror to some is that some players might get extra money. To me the horror is colleges and the NCAA ignoring that some players are/were getting sham educations for the sake of fielding a good team.

You’re ignoring the fact that these kids get their education, room and board and meals payed for. Plus all the clothes they want.

Your intern analogy would work if collegiate athletics was a profession. It isn’t. The same rules don’t apply for different things.

Listen I’m all for players being able to be paid to coach summer camps or even get a stipend. But I believe there needs to be a cap.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, now this practice of boosters paying players will be on the up and up.

Exactly, it’ll be a free for all and the wild Wild West. Man them SMU boosters were craving for this 30 years ago

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the bidding wars that are being talked about will have a big time impact on the Jalen Hurts type of player, the transfer portal guys.

Or maybe an established proven great player like D’Eriq King ends up being a highest bidder situation.

I just don’t see Oklahoma State or any other mega booster throwing millions at HS kids who have potential to be great players. As if they are battling Bama, LSU, aTm, UGA, tOSU and Clemson to have the most elite recruiting classes every season.

But with the transfer portal and paying players doesn’t it just lead to a lot more transfers because these guys can be successful and transfer to a school that needs a qb and pays more.

Like what’s stopping D’Erick King or Khalil Tate from transferring after their first good season to a team that has boosters that can pay more money for autographs?