• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we give California back to Mexico?

New York, South Carolina and Florida are already getting ready for their versions of this law. Floridas would start next season.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you seriously think you're going to compete with the likes of Oregon if this shit becomes the norm? It's like some of you have about zero clue how the real world works.

1. Nike
1. Nike
World's leading athletic apparel maker has increased its revenue to $24 billion

Boeing , Starbucks, Microsoft , Amazon

All a stones throw from UW. I think you'll be fine.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Industry agents making and spending millions:
Coaches, ADs, Nike, Adidas, Coca Cola, Pepsi, McDonalds, ABC, nbc, Fox, espn, every national advertiser, construction companies, athletic wear suppliers, insurance companies, etc etc etc

Those are people outside the athletic departments. Should they not make money on the Olympics,
Industry agents making and spending millions:
Coaches, ADs, Nike, Adidas, Coca Cola, Pepsi, McDonalds, ABC, nbc, Fox, espn, every national advertiser, construction companies, athletic wear suppliers, insurance companies, etc etc etc

You're stretching. You think whoever/whatever provides the entertainment should be compensated. But let's go with what you're saying. How about when the weather is the big news and everyone is "making millions/billions" on it? Who do we pay then? God doesn't need the money. Also, I didn't get my slice of the pie when I was shown on TV several times during my time in the service. You think I should be paid for that since someone made millions/billions while watching the news?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your disputing it won’t be pay to play all the while boosters will be paying athletes (football and basketball) to have autograph sessions and fake jobs. Many of which will be promises to recruits to get them to play at a certain school.

In other words, YOU are pretending to be stupid.

So in other words, now this practice of boosters paying players will be on the up and up.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you seriously think you're going to compete with the likes of Oregon if this shit becomes the norm? It's like some of you have about zero clue how the real world works.

1. Nike
1. Nike
World's leading athletic apparel maker has increased its revenue to $24 billion

I would argue against this, as much as I’d like it to be true.

Any Nike school will benefit.

Nike is an international brand. They would be foolish to zero in on the founders alma mater. IF athletic apparel businesses are allowed to endorse collegiate athletes, it will expand to all teams that are, for instances “a Nike school”

The biggest contracts from Nike would’ve been Zion last year and Tua this year. Those two guys are superstars who would bring in millions to the BUSINESS that is Nike.

Outside of Oregon, nobody is lining up for Justin Herbert t shirts.... Tua however....

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is why you won’t find Nike synonymously associated with Oregon on the campus. It isn’t Nike Stadium. It’s Autzen Stadium.

Nike is just as much Alabama or Duke as it is Oregon.

The founder is an Oregon Duck. The company that is Nike is far from exclusive to the Oregon Ducks.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nike isn’t going to smear their brand by giving Oregon an edge over dozens of other “Nike schools”

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really find it hard at this point to see what the problem is if Tua is sitting next to Saban in this commercial. And as a Ducks fan I’m hoping the follow up with A future Ducks superstar QB, the Duck mascot and Cristobol would be next.

Would it be so terrible if Tua is in this ad making the money that his likeness is worth?

I’m torn. Love Tebow and his passion, but this is where we are.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Lawrence in a Body Armor sports drink ad, don’t see a problem honestly.

Jalen Hurts eating some McDonalds.

:noidea:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Lawrence in a Body Armor sports drink ad, don’t see a problem honestly.

Jalen Hurts eating some McDonalds.

:noidea:

Trevor Lawrence doing a Head and Shoulders commercial

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Southern teams and it’s fans, tOSU and it’s fans, Oky and it’s fans are the most passionate about CFB.

So are their boosters. So they are getting the best players.

Those great players, on their way to the NFL are highly marketable.

Those teams are examples of the cream of the crop of cfb.

So what changes? They are already getting the best players. Are we afraid Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Oky and tOSU are going to be good at college football because they are about to be getting great football players? Gasp!!! North Carolina and Duke are going to get McDonalds all Americans? Oh no!!

Ultimately I think this won’t change the landscape like many of the chicken littles are fearing.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@AlaskaGuy I feel that if UW got a Mariota, Tua, Baker type player. Nike is going to want to lock him up for when he turns pro as a highly marketable player.

I don’t think the overall landscape of recruiting changes. The cfb recruiting rankings will largely remain the same.

Teams like Boise aren’t going to get lesser talent. They will continue winning with the players they get.

That’s how I see it playing out.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're ignoring the fact that billions are now made off these athletes and the same deal they had since before the leather helmet days doesn't fly anymore. Just like the days companies had interns work a bunch of hours a week for nothing with the but they are learning the business excuse has gone out the window. Now they laws have changed where the intern has to be getting more from the deal than the company.
Yes there are going to be unintended consequences and people who try to skirt the system but you can't keep the same antiquated system going.
It's funny how the horror to some is that some players might get extra money. To me the horror is colleges and the NCAA ignoring that some players are/were getting sham educations for the sake of fielding a good team.
No one, or at least only a few, are against the players making more money. That's a red herring in this discussion.

It's about what it will do to the sport we love. It has warts already. This basically legalizes the bagman. You think that is a good idea?

Pro sports maintain some semblance of balance with drafts, restricting free agency, etc. That minimizes the effect of outside money opportunities (although LA, NY and other big markets show that it matters). College doesn't have that ... the recruiting process will be badly affected by this. Keep in mind I am arguing against my own best interests in the short term ... my school will be fine as we will be paying the kids big bucks. But, the sport will change, the kids will change, and I don't think it will for the good in the long run. Think Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers v. Royals. That's what it is going to do.

And, yes, I already know that there is imbalance. This will make it worse.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one, or at least only a few, are against the players making more money. That's a red herring in this discussion.

It's about what it will do to the sport we love. It has warts already. This basically legalizes the bagman. You think that is a good idea?

Pro sports maintain some semblance of balance with drafts, restricting free agency, etc. That minimizes the effect of outside money opportunities (although LA, NY and other big markets show that it matters). College doesn't have that ... the recruiting process will be badly affected by this. Keep in mind I am arguing against my own best interests in the short term ... my school will be fine as we will be paying the kids big bucks. But, the sport will change, the kids will change, and I don't think it will for the good in the long run. Think Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers v. Royals. That's what it is going to do.

And, yes, I already know that there is imbalance. This will make it worse.

The ncaa has made college sports the only place where you can't profit from your talent or popularity and some people think thats great because they aren't the ones putting in the work. A baby in a Dove commercial gets money put away till they are 18 but a 20 year old man can't do a Pepsi commercial just because the ncaa wants total control of who makes money and how from that 20 year olds talent. It's just nuts that some here whine that "it won't be the same". Yes it might change some things but not as much as you guys think. If instead of a bag man there's an addidas commercial whats so wrong about that? Who were bag men paying? The top guys. Who would be the ones benefiting the most? The top guys. yeah the punter might make a little bit now but why is that so wrong? Go look at the football facilities at Alabama , Notre Dame, Ohio State. Then go look at UC San Diego, Tulane and tell me it's even now?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really find it hard at this point to see what the problem is if Tua is sitting next to Saban in this commercial. And as a Ducks fan I’m hoping the follow up with A future Ducks superstar QB, the Duck mascot and Cristobol would be next.

Would it be so terrible if Tua is in this ad making the money that his likeness is worth?

I’m torn. Love Tebow and his passion, but this is where we are.

Allstate doesn’t need Tua in that commercial. Tua wouldn’t help them sell insurance. It would just be a payday. Nick Saban is much more recognizable.

I think Zion could’ve had a ton of endorsements. But, what happens if Player X has an endorsement with Adidas but goes to a Nike school? Can he still wear adidas? Is he forced to wear nike? Not allowed to negotiate with Nike competitors? Or are schools no longer allowed to negotiate deals?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ncaa has made college sports the only place where you can't profit from your talent or popularity and some people think thats great because they aren't the ones putting in the work. A baby in a Dove commercial gets money put away till they are 18 but a 20 year old man can't do a Pepsi commercial just because the ncaa wants total control of who makes money and how from that 20 year olds talent. It's just nuts that some here whine that "it won't be the same". Yes it might change some things but not as much as you guys think. If instead of a bag man there's an addidas commercial whats so wrong about that? Who were bag men paying? The top guys. Who would be the ones benefiting the most? The top guys. yeah the punter might make a little bit now but why is that so wrong? Go look at the football facilities at Alabama , Notre Dame, Ohio State. Then go look at UC San Diego, Tulane and tell me it's even now?

The issue isn’t commercials, a lot of athletes aren’t marketable, especially in college.

The issue becomes if you go to school at Florida State you can sign autographs for $400,000 and teach a booster how to shoot a kick a field goal for $200,000. If you go to Duke nobody will pay you to sign autographs unless you switch sports. So, how does Duke compete with Florida State?

The top guys will get money from endorsements, but the schools that have boosters with the deepest pockets will win the bidding wars and high schoolers are free agents

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allstate doesn’t need Tua in that commercial. Tua wouldn’t help them sell insurance. It would just be a payday. Nick Saban is much more recognizable.

I think Zion could’ve had a ton of endorsements. But, what happens if Player X has an endorsement with Adidas but goes to a Nike school? Can he still wear adidas? Is he forced to wear nike? Not allowed to negotiate with Nike competitors? Or are schools no longer allowed to negotiate deals?
That’s a great question up for discussion. I was thinking about this yesterday after they brought up the same scenario on the Dan Patrick show.

There are lots of scenarios that need to be considered.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue isn’t commercials, a lot of athletes aren’t marketable, especially in college.

The issue becomes if you go to school at Florida State you can sign autographs for $400,000 and teach a booster how to shoot a kick a field goal for $200,000. If you go to Duke nobody will pay you to sign autographs unless you switch sports. So, how does Duke compete with Florida State?

The top guys will get money from endorsements, but the schools that have boosters with the deepest pockets will win the bidding wars and high schoolers are free agents

I would come back to this question. What is different between what you’ve laid out here, versus what is already established?

Duke already can’t compete in football recruiting vs FSU.

I honestly don’t think we will see a shift in recruits when this comes into law.

Bama, UGA, LSU, FSU, Clemson, Oky, tOSU are already getting the best football players.