• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let the fun begin, CA Gov signs college athlete likeness pay bill

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m a fan of one of the select few schools with the deep pockets who could buy recruits.
I think it is ridiculous though. It is going to turn college athletics into an auction for recruits. Parents will be walking into recruiting visits with their hands out asking how much can you offer.
It happens now, but making it legal, would be asinine.
I hope schools put into the scholarships, the player cannot use his or her standing as a university athlete for financial gain. Make them choose if they want the scholarship or do they want to foot their own bill.

I enjoy watching the college game because it isn’t a bunch of pampered millionaires whining. It is kids going thru the college experience as I did.

If they open it up like they are talking — they may as well remove all rules in recruiting, as the top schools will just buy their recruits each year. No reason to waste 10-20 million remodeling a locker room — They can buy a couple recruiting classes with that money.

It's not the schools paying the players. So stop with the they should pay their own scholarship. lol. Are you going to read what the laws say or just make up shit. It allows the player to hire and agent and if he can find him a commercial or what ever he can get paid. So who has the players right now who are the most marketable? Clemson with Sunshine (hair commercial) and Tua and Oklahoma wit hurts. Its still the big teams . Alabama and Texas and LSU and Ohio State and Michigan and USC would still get the same amount of good players as they did before ( except USC doesn't know what to do with them). But if your long snapper who wouldnt get some national commercial wants to put on a camp with the kickers for high school players who want to get a scholarship kicking and charge and make some extra money they could do it. Right now the NCAA would say no. Parents pay good money to get their kids some good coaching and many college players would be naturals to teach high school players for cash.They wont be making a lot but some extra.
They are still kids like you said. But like you they should be allowed to work and make money just like you were allowed to do.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the confused one. It's not a moot point. It means the NCAA and schools are bringing in billions from the popularity of the sport and there's no reason the actual players shouldn't be allowed to make some.

I’m not confused about anything. An I’m not against them making something. I’m against this uncapped facade that their “likeness” would bring them.

But AGAIN, it’s not the people making billions that would pay them.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the schools paying the players. So stop with the they should pay their own scholarship. lol. Are you going to read what the laws say or just make up shit. It allows the player to hire and agent and if he can find him a commercial or what ever he can get paid. So who has the players right now who are the most marketable? Clemson with Sunshine (hair commercial) and Tua and Oklahoma wit hurts. Its still the big teams . Alabama and Texas and LSU and Ohio State and Michigan and USC would still get the same amount of good players as they did before ( except USC doesn't know what to do with them). But if your long snapper who wouldnt get some national commercial wants to put on a camp with the kickers for high school players who want to get a scholarship kicking and charge and make some extra money they could do it. Right now the NCAA would say no. Parents pay good money to get their kids some good coaching and many college players would be naturals to teach high school players for cash.They wont be making a lot but some extra.
They are still kids like you said. But like you they should be allowed to work and make money just like you were allowed to do.

It will be the school’s alumni/boosters paying for recruits.
The reason why they don’t let the athletes get jobs — because boosters would just pay the kids to come to the school and recruiting will turn into auctions of who will pay the most.
They can give them jobs they don’t have to show up for or in the case you used, pay for a camp they don’t go to.

And those kids are under contract with the school they sign for. They already help with camps put on by the school. You think a school is going to sign off on a kid holding his own camp using their brand?!? No chance.

If a kid can’t get by with just a 6 figure scholarship that will set them up for life. Don’t play a sport. Then you can go sign as many endorsement deals and do as many camps as you’d like.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not confused about anything. An I’m not against them making something. I’m against this uncapped facade that their “likeness” would bring them.

But AGAIN, it’s not the people making billions that would pay them.
Like the old system works so great . The same four or five teams have had the top recruiting classes the past ten years.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be the school’s alumni/boosters paying for recruits.
The reason why they don’t let the athletes get jobs — because boosters would just pay the kids to come to the school and recruiting will turn into auctions of who will pay the most.
They can give them jobs they don’t have to show up for or in the case you used, pay for a camp they don’t go to.

And those kids are under contract with the school they sign for. They already help with camps put on by the school. You think a school is going to sign off on a kid holding his own camp using their brand?!? No chance.

If a kid can’t get by with just a 6 figure scholarship that will set them up for life. Don’t play a sport. Then you can go sign as many endorsement deals and do as many camps as you’d like.

Well I'd like you to go to work and we will have a bunch of people tell your employer how much to pay you. See how you like it. LOL

This statement shows you have no clue what is being proposed. "You think a school is going to sign off on a kid holding his own camp using their brand?!? No chance."
The whole point is allowing the player to monetize his popularity , his likeness.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like the old system works so great . The same four or five teams have had the top recruiting classes the past ten years.

Are you under some illusion that this rule will not help the same four or five teams get those same classes?

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'd like you to go to work and we will have a bunch of people tell your employer how much to pay you. See how you like it. LOL

This statement shows you have no clue what is being proposed. "You think a school is going to sign off on a kid holding his own camp using their brand?!? No chance."
The whole point is allowing the player to monetize his popularity , his likeness.
It is SCHOOL not work. The only thing this does for california is gets them excluded from participating in NCAA sports and not that they had a chance but no longer eligible to get into the CFP therefore they are now even more irrelevant than they were before....

Nobody is going to watch a sport where there is legal uncapped pay by boosters etc for players who then dont play to get to the next level as hard as tehy can cuz they are already being paid, they turn into the same pussys that run rampant through the NFL bunch of pansy ass bitches.

I for one will not watch college sports if they allow that shit

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is SCHOOL not work. The only thing this does for california is gets them excluded from participating in NCAA sports and not that they had a chance but no longer eligible to get into the CFP therefore they are now even more irrelevant than they were before....

Nobody is going to watch a sport where there is legal uncapped pay by boosters etc for players who then dont play to get to the next level as hard as tehy can cuz they are already being paid, they turn into the same pussys that run rampant through the NFL bunch of pansy ass bitches.

I for one will not watch college sports if they allow that shit

LOL. yeah we all go to the stadiums to see them do homework.LOL. Saban gets 10 mil a year because it's about school. That's fucking hilarious. You believe in the Easter bunny don't you. LOL

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you under some illusion that this rule will not help the same four or five teams get those same classes?

If it's exactly the same power teams getting the exact number of high end players except some players on every team in college football who don't come from a privileged background and can make a little something holding a camp or doing a commercial with friends on the team then I'd be happy for them. I don't get the hate for people actually making a little money for themselves especially when you're enjoying the fruits of their labor.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, I'll play along. Give me a list of the people at Texas who are making millions off the athletes. I'll even start the list for you.

1. Athletic Director
2. Coaches
Maybe others:
Poor kids... :rolleyes2:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's exactly the same power teams getting the exact number of high end players except some players on every team in college football who don't come from a privileged background and can make a little something holding a camp or doing a commercial with friends on the team then I'd be happy for them. I don't get the hate for people actually making a little money for themselves especially when you're enjoying the fruits of their labor.
You keep talking out of your asshole. Find a subject where you are a little bit knowledgeable.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no hate. An most people (me certainly) are for these kids making a little something to do an instructional camp. But stop ignoring what this will certainly become with boosters buying who they want and then it being all legal because of “likeness.” It’ll because a legal sleazy business. Stop ignoring that.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no hate. An most people (me certainly) are for these kids making a little something to do an instructional camp. But stop ignoring what this will certainly become with boosters buying who they want and then it being all legal because of “likeness.” It’ll because a legal sleazy business. Stop ignoring that.

Are you under the illusion boosters haven't been paying players since like forever? LOL. But that didn't ruin it? But this will. Yeah, ok.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep talking out of your asshole. Find a subject where you are a little bit knowledgeable.

Yeah , says the guy who thinks I'm crying about this happening. LOL . Hilarious.
Half the people replying think these laws require the schools to pay the players. lol

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you under the illusion boosters haven't been paying players since like forever? LOL. But that didn't ruin it? But this will. Yeah, ok.

It’s still illegal regardless if it happens or not. This certainly isn’t going to slow it, it’s only going to get worse. Quit ignoring that because it pays those poor, debt free college kids.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s still illegal regardless if it happens or not. This certainly isn’t going to slow it, it’s only going to get worse. Quit ignoring that because it pays those poor, debt free college kids.

No. what it will do is let some players make side money legally . The horror.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. what it will do is let some players make side money legally . The horror.

Why not give ALL a capped stipend?

Instead of having LESS than half making money. Do you not care about the players?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how is he going to sell himself for this camp to get people interested? By saying ‘fill in the University here’ Kicker/Quarterback/RB or whatever is holding a camp for local kids.
Because no one would care one bit about a high school kid, but when you add in he plays or played for a major college — then it has some clout.

No school is going to sign off on an athlete using the school’s brand while they are under scholarship.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It also allows boosters to pay athletes for autographs or for playing catch.