• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron is a fraud

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it does and from a business perspective it's a smart move. However, it's also a smart move from a "power" perspective.

Lebron was running things in Cleveland the first time around, but wasn't able to win any titles. Then he went to Miami where he learned how to win titles from one of the best in the business. A guy who has won titles as a player, coach and GM. The problem in Miami was that Riley and Arison were never going to give him the "keys to the kingdom". So, he returns to Cleveland where Gilbert is all too happy to cede control of the franchise. Or do you think it's mere coincidence that the Cavs are busily putting together the same type of roster that he had in Miami?

No one is questioning Lebron's right to go where he wants. The problem, just as when he left Cleveland, is with the way he does it.

Also, didn't Lebron say "no more long term contracts"? That indicates that he's going to use these shorter deals like a sword of Damocles to hang over Gilberts (or any other future owners) heads to make sure that he gets what he wants.

At least when he left the Heat he didn't have a Decision Part II. And I have no idea f LeBron has said "no more long term contacts". The only thing I'm sure of about him is not once during his 11 year has he been the highest paid player on his own team.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right but still he should've kept that to himself because he comes off as a front runner who will leave if he isn't winning every year. It makes it seem like 2 titles in 4 years with 4 finals appearances still isn't good enough to keep him in one place

This is the thing that I don't quite get about Lebron. I mean, what's the point of saying that? Was it a dig at the Heat's front office? His teammates? Was he firing a shot across Dan Gilbert's bow just to make sure Gilbert gives him everything he wants?

As a Lakers fan, I've seen Kobe say his fair share of stupid shit. But most of it can be traced back to him being hyper competitive and being frustrated about what's happening with the team. Hard to fathom a reason for Lebron to leave Miami and then say "Oh, by the way, if we had won last year, I'd still be in Miami".

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this thread was gonna be about his new hairline.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very douche thing to say.

But, the Cavs are gonna be a problem for the rest of the NbA for many years to come.

That seemingly meaningless trade they just made means they can trade for another Allstar/high salary player without the other team having to take a single dollar back.

Lebron has already proven that having 3 Allstars is not an easy enough road to a Championship for him.

So, expect the Cavs to stack the deck even higher next Summer.

The interesting thing about the Cavaliers-Celtics trade is that it positions Cleveland to do the exact same thing next summer, since after this season Haywood’s deal is non-guaranteed at $10,522,500 and Bogans’ deal is non-guaranteed at $5,513,435. That means that Hopson (and several other small pieces) allowed the Cavaliers to acquire over $16 million in attractive non-guaranteed deals for next summer. By stockpiling these non-guaranteed deals, Cleveland could trade for a star-level player and the team parting ways with the star wouldn’t have to take back a single dollar. Throw in some draft picks and maybe a young asset, and suddenly Cleveland has a very interesting package to offer as they try to further improve their star-studded core of LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least when he left the Heat he didn't have a Decision Part II. And I have no idea f LeBron has said "no more long term contacts". The only thing I'm sure of about him is not once during his 11 year has he been the highest paid player on his own team.

I agree, no Decision Part II. Yet, he somehow manages to come off just about as bad as he did with The Decision.

I also understand that he has never been the highest paid player on his team and I have no issue with him getting his money. He's the best player in the league and instantly turns any team he joins into at least a 2nd round playoff team and turns many into instant contenders. He deserves to be paid like it.

This isn't about him never being the highest paid player on his team though. It was already known that if he stayed in Miami, he was going to be the highest paid player on his team. Heck, D-Wade and Bosh opted out with the intent of taking less so that Lebron could get a max deal and the Heat could still sign some better FA's. This is about the amount of power he can exercise within the organization.

This article says a lot about Lebron and future long term deals.

NBA: LeBron James' mission to maximize earnings - ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The interesting thing about the Cavaliers-Celtics trade is that it positions Cleveland to do the exact same thing next summer, since after this season Haywood’s deal is non-guaranteed at $10,522,500 and Bogans’ deal is non-guaranteed at $5,513,435. That means that Hopson (and several other small pieces) allowed the Cavaliers to acquire over $16 million in attractive non-guaranteed deals for next summer. By stockpiling these non-guaranteed deals, Cleveland could trade for a star-level player and the team parting ways with the star wouldn’t have to take back a single dollar. Throw in some draft picks and maybe a young asset, and suddenly Cleveland has a very interesting package to offer as they try to further improve their star-studded core of LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.

Yup, that seems to be the ultimate reason for this trade. $16mil in non-guaranteed contracts for next season is a nice trade asset to have. Lebron trying to making things as easy as possible for himself.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it does and from a business perspective it's a smart move. However, it's also a smart move from a "power" perspective.

Yup, just another move that gives him more power within the organization. The front office is forced to do whatever Lebron wants or risks losing him, again.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron was running things in Cleveland the first time around, but wasn't able to win any titles. Then he went to Miami where he learned how to win titles from one of the best in the business. A guy who has won titles as a player, coach and GM. The problem in Miami was that Riley and Arison were never going to give him the "keys to the kingdom". So, he returns to Cleveland where Gilbert is all too happy to cede control of the franchise. Or do you think it's mere coincidence that the Cavs are busily putting together the same type of roster that he had in Miami?

No one is questioning Lebron's right to go where he wants. The problem, just as when he left Cleveland, is with the way he does it.

Also, didn't Lebron say "no more long term contracts"? That indicates that he's going to use these shorter deals like a sword of Damocles to hang over Gilberts (or any other future owners) heads to make sure that he gets what he wants.
Can you elaborate?

What specific thing(s) did LeBron want in Miami but was denied by Riley and Arison which made him decide not to return?

Using shorter contracts is the smart way to go.

If it was still available to do so in the NBA, would it be smarter copy Magic and sign a 25yr deal? Or be like MJ and sign an 8yr deal..... only to watch lesser players make more cash as time went on?

Obviously not.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right but still he should've kept that to himself because he comes off as a front runner who will leave if he isn't winning every year. It makes it seem like 2 titles in 4 years with 4 finals appearances still isn't good enough to keep him in one place

Age and also the fact in Cleveland he had all the power in the world had a lot to do with it. Also picking up Bogans they could get $16 mil next year possibly, which they could even improve their roster even more.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, that seems to be the ultimate reason for this trade. $16mil in non-guaranteed contracts for next season is a nice trade asset to have. Lebron trying to making things as easy as possible for himself.

:agree:

And with his 2yr deal, he has the Cavs living on their knees.

Part of it is because he will get more once the new TV deal is negotiated, the other part is a power play.

He has proven that he will bounce, even when in a winning situation if things don't go his way.

Cavs fans don't see this as a problem because, so far, all these moves have been for the betterment of the team.

But, what happens when he wants a guy, gets him, and it doesn't workout?

Remember when Howard wanted the Magic to trade for Arenas?

Destroyed the team and Howard cried until he was traded.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

And with his 2yr deal, he has the Cavs living on their knees.

He has proven that he will bounce, even when in a winning situation if things don't go his way.

Cavs fans don't see this as a problem because, so far, all these moves have been for the betterment of the team.

But, what happens when he wants a guy, gets him, and it doesn't workout?

Remember when Howard wanted the Magic to trade for Arenas?

Destroyed the team and Howard cried until he was traded.

MECCA!!! Long time no see!

:mo:

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you elaborate?

What specific thing(s) did LeBron want in Miami but was denied by Riley and Arison which made him decide not to return?

If it was still available to do so in the NBA, would it be smarter copy Magic and sign a 25yr deal? Or be like MJ and sign an 8yr deal..... only to watch lesser players make more cash as time went on?

Obviously not.

I think one of the things was the Heat refused to go deep into the luxury tax to improve the roster.

This article was pre-I'm coming home....

LeBron James reportedly doesn’t want to take a salary cut in order to save Heat owner Micky Arison money. That’s apparently not a new concern.

It’s been festering.

The Heat paid the luxury tax the previous two years, and they’ll pay it again this season. But in the last year, they’ve really dialed back their spending.

They amnestied Mike Miller.
Instead of using a draft pick to upgrade their roster, they used it as a sweetener to unload Joel Anthony’s contract.
They didn’t use the mid-level exception, their primary tool for adding another rotation-caliber player.
Miami has allowed its roster to stagnate and age, creating a lack of depth really showed in the Finals.

If the Heat had spent more to build a deeper team, maybe they’d be NBA champions – and not waiting on a mum LeBron.

Report: LeBron James, annoyed with Micky Arison, not ready to commit to Heat | ProBasketballTalk

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't bail for another team, though. Just sayin'

Hey, I'm glad that Bledsoe rumor didn't come to fruition.

You know I love me some Eric.

But, I want Zach to get some meaningful playing time this year.

Shabazz barely got a chance as a rookie.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you elaborate?

Obviously not.

Not going to back a dig up all of the articles, besides I'm sure Heat fans can much more quickly provide that info. Off the top of my head though, I remember there being issues with where his family and friends sat during games, a couple of issues with players signed/not signed and him not having the same influence in Miami that he had in Cleveland.

I also agreed that using short term contracts is a smart move. However, that doesn't mean that he won't use them as a power play to force Dan Gilbert or any other owner in the future to give him whatever he wants. It's a particularly smart move right now, because the cap is expected to increase in 2 years. However, why have the 1 year opt out unless it's to increase his power in the organization with the threat of leaving? With that 1 year opt out, he doesn't even have to threaten to leave, the threat is implied via the opt out.

As for Magic/MJ long term deals. I suppose it depends on the players motivation. I remember when Magic signed that deal. He was already making far more outside of basketball than he was ever going to get playing basketball, so it was about him essentially committing to the Lakers for life and allowing them the money to continue to put a championship caliber roster around him.

In todays market, I don't know what he would have done. What he did would seem to indicate that he'd sign with the Lakers for as long term as possible at an amount that he was comfortable with and that still allowed flexibility for the Lakers to add players. It's a very different league now than it was then, so end of the day, who really knows?

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does 2 years from now have to do with having an opt o after year 1? The 2 yr deal is fine but the opt out after year 1 makes no sense to me.

Because it gave him leverage in forcing Cleveland to pursue other players, such as Love. If they don't get him what he wants, he could go anywhere he wanted next year.... and broker the same situation he did in going to Miami.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howdy, Handsome!!!

I miss you.

You have no words for me now that basketball is done :Cry:

I have words... I just never see you! Just a few more weeks and we can see the NEW... UP AND COMING.... TIMBERPUPPIES!!!

(until they all bolt in free agency again...)