• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron FA saga is old to say the least; He need to man up...

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see what happens with Lebron. Got to think if the Cavs don't win the title he's going to be exploring all his options.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...i mean you have to be joking now

at one point Shaq was gone- and Kobe was almost a Chicago Bull--- if not for Pau Gasol falling into your lap 5 years later- it would have been an unmitigated disaster- a HUGE embarrassment.

Maybe you think running one hall of famer out of town- and getting to the point where the other hall of famer is demanding a trade was good business.....lol

Here's where everything falls apart for you. The Lakers didn't trade Kobe, they did make a trade for Pau Gasol and they returned to the finals 3 more times and won 2 more titles.

So yes, running one hall of famer out of town and having another demand a trade has worked out just fine for the Lakers.

It seems math isn't your strong suit either. Shaq left after the 2003-04 season and Pau arrived in the 2007-08 season, so it was a little over 3 years, not 5.

Also, the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol, that hardly constitutes "falling into their lap."

How many championships has running the organization so poorly that a hall of famer dumped your franchise on national tv, left to win 2 championships with another team and then return to your team resulted in?

Additionally, Kobe made his trade demand in the 2007-08 off-season. Then, when the season started, he saw how much Bynum had improved and there was no more trade talk even before they made the Gasol trade.

Last edited:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron just said he would take a pay cut to play one or two season with Melo, CP3 and Wade. I can't wait until this happens to see what kind of clusterfuck that ends up to be.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron just said he would take a pay cut to play one or two season with Melo, CP3 and Wade. I can't wait until this happens to see what kind of clusterfuck that ends up to be.

That clusterfuck could start forming in Los Angeles this summer if they wanted to.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That clusterfuck could start forming in Los Angeles this summer if they wanted to.

I would be soooooo happy if this happens in LA. So happy.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have one of the biggest iso players in the world in Melo. You have two guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective (CP3 and Lebron) and Wade is a terrible outside shooter. How in the world would those guys mesh?

1) You would have to get Lebron and Wade to take significant pay cuts.
2) You would have to assume Wade would want to leave the Heat, which he has never given an indication he would.
3) You would have to trade for Melo, who's on a huge contract. In order to get him you'd have to give up one of Russell or Randle.
4) CP3 isn't going anywhere unless he's a free agent, which he's not till 2018. The Clips won't trade him.

There's just no plausible way this happens, even if you wanted it to.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have one of the biggest iso players in the world in Melo. You have two guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective (CP3 and Lebron) and Wade is a terrible outside shooter. How in the world would those guys mesh?

2) You would have to assume Wade would want to leave the Heat, which he has never given an indication he would.
3) You would have to trade for Melo, who's on a huge contract. In order to get him you'd have to give up one of Russell or Randle.
4) CP3 isn't going anywhere unless he's a free agent, which he's not till 2018. The Clips won't trade him.

Yeah, I don't see the 'Melo, CP3, Lebron, D-Wade thing happening anywhere. I also agree that it likely wouldn't work. Too many alpha's.

3 of the 4 need the ball in their hands a lot to be effective and as you say, D-Wade isn't much of an outside shooter. Neither is Lebron, for that matter. About the only way it could work, would be if all 4 agreed that CP3 is running the show and is the one to decide who gets the ball when.

And that's not even getting into your points about who a team would have to give up, when CP3 and 'Melo would be available, etc.

Besides, the Lakers tried a 4 hall of famer lineup once before, didn't exactly go as planned.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAD

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't, not to say that it couldn't work out though. Certainly these guys would have to alter their games somewhat, but if they were serious about winning titles, they likely would.

1) They wouldn't have to take significant pay cuts. The Lakers have a ton of cap space this summer. I certainly wouldn't want to max Wade out though.
2) True. These guys have "colluded" before and formed a super team though. This suggests that it could be done again.
3) I could see the front office trading one those for Carmelo if the end game is forming this foursome. Phil would certainly pull the trigger to add some talented youth around Kristaps.
4) CP3 has a player option for the 17-18 season. He could be a free agent next summer.

So, theoretically, the Lakers could start the 18-19 season off with this clusterfuck.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where everything falls apart for you. The Lakers didn't trade Kobe, they did make a trade for Pau Gasol and they returned to the finals 3 more times and won 2 more titles.

So yes, running one hall of famer out of town and having another demand a trade has worked out just fine for the Lakers.

It seems math isn't your strong suit either. Shaq left after the 2003-04 season and Pau arrived in the 2007-08 season, so it was a little over 3 years, not 5.

Also, the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol, that hardly constitutes "falling into their lap."

How many championships has running the organization so poorly that a hall of famer dumped your franchise on national tv, left to win 2 championships with another team and then return to your team resulted in?

Additionally, Kobe made his trade demand in the 2007-08 off-season. Then, when the season started, he saw how much Bynum had improved and there was no more trade talk even before they made the Gasol trade.
so your gonna mock the Cavs for getting lucky in the lotto----- after the Lakers trade Shaq- make kobe angry enough to demand a trade- and then have Pau fall in their lap 4 YEARS after getting rid of Shaq....and in between waste MANY of Kobe's best years...great plan.

riiiiiiiiiiight..hypocrite much?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers trade Shaq after '03-'04 season
'04/05 Lakers miss the playoffs
'05/'06 Lakers get the 7 seed
'06/'07 Lakers get the 7 seed

Kobe starts freaking because the Lakers have done NOTHING and acquired NO ONE since the trading of Shaq- is almost traded to the Bulls- except Kobe doesnt want Deng going to LA in the deal because it means the team will be stripping itself clean and he will have no one to play with- so the deal is not done.

February of '08 the Lakers are gifted Pau from the Grizz- Kobe stops freaking out because the Lakers have actually made a good move after wasting 3 years of his prime with Smush Parker.

tell me which part is wrong?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so your gonna mock the Cavs for getting lucky in the lotto----- after the Lakers trade Shaq- make kobe angry enough to demand a trade- and then have Pau fall in their lap 4 YEARS after getting rid of Shaq....and in between waste MANY of Kobe's best years...great plan.

No, I'm mocking you for thinking the Cavs have ever done anything in their history for to you criticize anything about the Lakers.

As I said, Kobe didn't get traded, Pau was traded for, Bynum improved remarkably and the Lakers got 2 more championships while the Cavs got NBA welfare money.

By the way, How many championships has all of that lotto luck the Cavs have had resulted in?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kobe starts freaking because the Lakers have done NOTHING and acquired NO ONE since the trading of Shaq- is almost traded to the Bulls- except Kobe doesnt want Deng going to LA in the deal because it means the team will be stripping itself clean and he will have no one to play with- so the deal is not done.

February of '08 the Lakers are gifted Pau from the Grizz- Kobe stops freaking out because the Lakers have actually made a good move after wasting 3 years of his prime with Smush Parker.

And yet, despite all of that, the Lakers managed to win 2 more titles. Remind us again how many the Cavs have.

Additionally, the Lakers weren't "gifted" anything. Memphis got the rights to Marc Gasol. Pretty sure they're happy with how things turned out.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, despite all of that, the Lakers managed to win 2 more titles. Remind us again how many the Cavs have.

Additionally, the Lakers weren't "gifted" anything. Memphis got the rights to Marc Gasol. Pretty sure they're happy with how things turned out.
i just think its funny that you try and discredit gilberts rebuilding when he gets high picks in the lotto- which was always what they were trying to do- when your team traded Shaq with no plan to replace him and wasted 3 years of Kobe's prime until you finally made a decent move- a move that was widely panned as cheap and less than fair by many- including Popovich.

and you wonder why Cuban and Gilbert and the rest made sure CP stayed out of Purple and Gold and sent the Lakers into the death spiral they are still occupy to this day.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty sure that 5 titles hardly says Kobe's "prime" was wasted. Now, if he had ZERO titles then your claim might make more sense.

Also, by comparison I hardly think being a Cavs fan you can talk about any other team wasting a player's prime years. LBJ's time was definitely wasted those first SEVEN years he played in Cleveland and now that he's back you can count another TWO years wasted. Another season of this-which is highly likely since GS & SA are showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon-and it will be at least a DECADE wasted.

Yea, math isn't your strong suit at all. :happyshake:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tell me how this was bad for business? Been waiting on your answer. 2 more chips. A shit ton of profits. A huge TV deal. One of the highest valued sports franchises in the world. Wow, what a horrible business decision. You would have traded Kobe? One of them had to go.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just think its funny that you try and discredit gilberts rebuilding when he gets high picks in the lotto- which was always what they were trying to do- when your team traded Shaq with no plan to replace him and wasted 3 years of Kobe's prime until you finally made a decent move- a move that was widely panned as cheap and less than fair by many- including Popovich.

and you wonder why Cuban and Gilbert and the rest made sure CP stayed out of Purple and Gold and sent the Lakers into the death spiral they are still occupy to this day.

We know why Gilbert did it. He didn't want to see those welfare checks worth less than before.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me how this was bad for business? Been waiting on your answer. 2 more chips. A shit ton of profits. A huge TV deal. One of the highest valued sports franchises in the world. Wow, what a horrible business decision. You would have traded Kobe? One of them had to go.
i didnt say it was bad for business--- i said it was RIDICULOUS and stupid to try and discredit Gilbert for "getting lucky" in the lotto- when their whole strategy was to acquire as many picks as possible (often times by renting out their cap room)- to rebuild the team quickly------ when the Lakers dealt Shaq with no viable alternative- and wasted 3 of Kobe's best years- until they made a trade that Popovich himself and many others- thought was a travesty where Jerry West just hooked up the Lakers--- to me that sounds like out and out- they crapped all over themselves but got bailed out in the end by a former laker.

If Jerry West is not working for Memphis- does Kobe keep up his trade demands? probably.

you took down a dynsty with Shaq and Kobe- to be out of the playoffs, the 7th seed, and the 7th seed- and had a future hall of famer demand a trade and almost get dealt until you got - in Pops words- gifted an all star in Gasol

did it work out? yah- but not becasue of any plan.

not my words- Pops words-- but you guys are smarter than Pop.....ESPECIALLY Turnup- WAY SMARTER than these guys that work in the industry.

“What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension,” said Popovich. “There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committee that oversees NBA trades. I’d like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade.”

my point is- you were a trade away- a trade that the greatest current coach and one of the best in NBA history said was "beyond comprehension" from running 2 hall of famers out of town and destroying your team.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Maybe you think running one hall of famer out of town- and getting to the point where the other hall of famer is demanding a trade was good business.....lol"

I must have misinterpreted this quote. I thought you were saying that trading Shaq was ultimately bad for business.

Pop bitched because he knew the Lakers would be contenders again thus posing a problem for his team. The trade was perfectly fair under the rules. Memphis clearly was forward thinking. The trade worked out for both; one immediately and one a little ways down the road.

And let's get the record straight. Jerry West was no longer employed by Memphis and had nothing to do with the trade.

Another thing, the dynasty had to be destroyed. It was either Shaq or Kobe heading out the door. The Lakers clearly made the proper decision to keep the young stud over the aging one. You would have done different?

Whatever point you are trying to make doesn't change the facts.