• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LeBron FA saga is old to say the least; He need to man up...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that may be true, but again, different situations.

Kobe was not letting the Lakers lose 60 games and the Lakers were not controlled by the NBA

But the point is, that the trade wasn't nearly as bad as folks try to make it out to be. It says something that the NBA said "basketball reasons" yet they never gave any actual basketball reasons and neither has anyone on here who has defended the veto.

Trying to artificially inflate the value of the team does not constitute "basketball reasons." Basketball reasons would be if the trade made it overly difficult for NO to compete and that wasn't the case.

Even the case you made in saying that they would be looking at 40-45 win season is not a basketball reason because 40-45 wins is not only competitive, it's good for about a #6-#10 seed... aka playoff contention. From there, they could use the assets they got to make moves for other players and/or picks. It's pretty much what the Lakers had to do to get back into championship contention after the Shaq trade.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the point is, that the trade wasn't nearly as bad as folks try to make it out to be. It says something that the NBA said "basketball reasons" yet they never gave any actual basketball reasons and neither has anyone on here who has defended the veto.

Trying to artificially inflate the value of the team does not constitute "basketball reasons." Basketball reasons would be if the trade made it overly difficult for NO to compete and that wasn't the case.

Even the case you made in saying that they would be looking at 40-45 win season is not a basketball reason because 40-45 wins is not only competitive, it's good for about a #6-#10 seed... aka playoff contention. From there, they could use the assets they got to make moves for other players and/or picks. It's pretty much what the Lakers had to do to get back into championship contention after the Shaq trade.

I really don't get this argument. See post #206. Wiggy thinks the league would have lost tens of millions of dollars, maybe even $100mil if the Lakers trade had happened. That's ludicrous.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't get this argument. See post #206. Wiggy thinks the league would have lost tens of millions of dollars, maybe even $100mil if the Lakers trade had happened. That's ludicrous.

Because a franchise with Anthony Davis is worth a lot more than a 40 win team with a stable of vets.

Also, I am not entirely convinced that the lottery that year was legit. The NBA had a lot to gain by having the Pelicans win it.

I said this on my first post, and I will say it again. The problem was not the trade as much as the it was the fact that the league controlled the team. That is an enormous conflict of interest and should have never been allowed to happen.

I still think the trade was bad for NO, but then again I also think the 6ers are smart for how they are rebuilding. I know some only respect franchises who try to eke out every win they can each season, but that approach inevitably leads to mediocrity for all but the elite franchises.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I agree But I heard an interview with Stern where he said that the league was trying to sell the team for as much as possible and that losing CP3 would have devalued the franchise too much.

What he, and apparently Wiggy, fail to remember, is that CP3 had already made it very clear that he was leaving. It's why he was being traded in the first place. I seriously doubt CP3 gets shopped if there was any chance that he'd be back.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a franchise with Anthony Davis is worth a lot more than a 40 win team with a stable of vets.

Also, I am not entirely convinced that the lottery that year was legit. The NBA had a lot to gain by having the Pelicans win it.

I said this on my first post, and I will say it again. The problem was not the trade as much as the it was the fact that the league controlled the team. That is an enormous conflict of interest and should have never been allowed to happen.

I still think the trade was bad for NO, but then again I also think the 6ers are smart for how they are rebuilding. I know some only respect franchises who try to eke out every win they can each season, but that approach inevitably leads to mediocrity for all but the elite franchises.

I disagree. I don't even think Davis was drafted yet nor had the lottery happened that season, prior to the sell. A franchises value is significantly tied in to its location, much more so than roster construction.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance I could be wrong, but reading our posts and exchanges, I think we actually agree more than we disagree. I think the only real disagreement is you think Stern had to veto the trade because of the conflict of interest with the league owning the team. While I think that the conflict of interest is, in large measure, why he had no business vetoing the trade.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance I could be wrong, but reading our posts and exchanges, I think we actually agree more than we disagree. I think the only real disagreement is you think Stern had to veto the trade because of the conflict of interest with the league owning the team. While I think that the conflict of interest is, in large measure, why he had no business vetoing the trade.

Interesting. Was a jumbled mess to be sure.

You are right hat Davis was not on the team yet, but can we be absolutely sure the lottery was not fixed? There could have been promises made prior to the sale.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Was a jumbled mess to be sure.

You are right hat Davis was not on the team yet, but can we be absolutely sure the lottery was not fixed? There could have been promises made prior to the sale.

Who knows on the lottery? There have been claims that the lottery is fixed for about as long as there has been a lottery. It's part of why I think they need to get rid of the lottery and go back to reverse order with the worst team getting the first pick.

Much better to have people complaining that teams are tanking than have people complaining that teams are tanking AND the lottery is fixed, imo.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is an all-time great and basketball won't be the same when he is gone. Appreciate his greatness while he is still playing. When he is gone, 80% of the trolls will not follow the NBA anymore. I am a big LeBron fan because i value what he does on the court, not some of the issues off of it. Which are extremely minor and irrelevant anyways. I always say guys that don't go to college lose a big maturity gap without having a college coach to guide them not only on basketball, but on maturity. Kobe, Dwight, KG, LeBron, they were all pretty immature in their 20's. Nonetheless, besides two playoff series (against the Celtics and Mavs), he has been phenomenal and the best player in the NBA the last decade. I watch a lot more basketball because of him, and I am sure even though a lot of you wouldn't admit it, you do too.

All heil the KING!

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than likely you have. I never specifically said you did though.

Can you clarify the washed up comment?

2010/2011 Stats
Scola: 18.3 PPG, 8.2 RPG
Odom: 14.4 PPG, 8.7 RPG, reigning Sixth Man of the Year
Martin: 23.5 PPG

The trade also netted New Orleans Goran Dragic and a 2012 1st rounder. The Clippers deal was marginally better at the time and only really proved better when they ended up with the #1 overall pick. New Orleans has been tearing the league up since. Wait, they haven't?

This is what I remember thinking of the nixed trade five years ago (Forgive me if my memory is a little foggy because unlike you I have long since moved on):

At first when the trade was reported, I was relieved that we didn't have to hear Chris Paul trade saga for the entire year. Then later that night when it was nixed and got further info on the contract details, I was also happy it didn't happen.

Odom as we all know was destroyed by the Kardashians and was never the same after he left the comfort zone of his Laker teammates.

Martin has proven he could be a good sixth man on a contender, and I knew OKC wouldn't lose too much when they acquired him in a package for James Harden. But, history shows that he can't be your team's leading scorer, which he would have been in New Orleans.

As a Pacers fan, Scola was here for a couple years. Good role player - Nothing more, nothing less. Really struggled against the athleticism of the Miami Heat, though.

I admit I forgot Dragic was involved in the deal, though he was an unproven backup at the time that hadn't had his breakout season yet. Would have been a role of the dice, but not sure he would have been worth absorbing all those other contracts.

The deal the Hornets actually made allowed them to rebuild without absorbing any questionable contracts. They got Eric Gordon, an expring contract in Chris Kaman, Al Farouq-Aminu (who has been a good player even though the ultimately didn't re-sign him), and a future first rounder who they used on Austin Rivers and eventually flipped for Quincy Pondexter, who has been a quality player for them when healthy.

All in all - It's time to move on and there's a good reason that trade didn't happen. There's no guarantee that CP3 and Dwight Howard would have meshed under a lame-duck coach like Mike Brown anyway.

The entire sports world does not revolve around who loves and hates the Los Angeles Lakers. They are one team.

Get over it.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. The whole thing was handled terribly. Still, Stern had a huge conflict of interest. That Laker deal would have crushed the Pelicans' team value. Stern literally could not afford to let that happen.

^THIS