• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron couldn't handle Pippen, much less Jordan.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pippen was an amazing defender, but highlights prove nothing. You can make virtually anybody look good in highlights. If you packaged a montage of Lebron's defensive highlights, it would look pretty similar.

I don't think that LeBron is a better defensive player than Pippen, but your highlight reel proves little. There is a reason that coaches ask for full-game films, not highlights, when scouting players. Allen Iverson looked like a great defender on highlights reels.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting Pippen in the same sentence with Lebron is pure nonsense.
Just to clear it up, who is is in your opinion is better defensively? Pippen or LeBron?

In LeBron's defense the rules are different now. If he was allowed to hand check like Pip was then I think he would be a great on ball defender.
You can certainly speculate on this for sure but it is pure speculation on your part for sure. Everyone wants to see a superior athlete in their time and for most is it LeBron in their minds. I've seen both play in my time, and for me it's an easy decision, hands down Pippen was a far superior defensive player, hand check or no hand check. Look at the film Junkie put out there, it should tell you a story or two about the player. I didn't see too many hand checks outside of the way he played Magic in the Finals.

Had the Lakers been able to put guards on the court in that series that weren't injured who knows if Scottie even employees the hand check in that Finals. Kudos to Phil for understanding the dynamics in that series.

Players in the 80's were much less athletic than today and only a handful of teams emphisized defense. It was more about outscoring your opponent than it was to shut them down.

When you have Bobby Jones and Dennis Johnson making 1st team all defense back then..... should be an instant tell.

James has faced tougher defense's in this era (around the league) than he would have back then. He would have done just fine in those era's
Maybe in the regular season but the post season brought the cream of the crop, very similar to what we are seeing now. I think it's actually the other way around, if James would have played back then he might be better suited for playing better defender in the post season. When faced with stellar team defense the Heat struggle. I think this says a lot about the HC over in Miami. With all the talent this guy has in Miami he should really coast to a Championship. If Pops had that team, they certainly would have 3 Rings by now instead of one big Asterisk!

Lebron makes first team all defense with .09 blocks and 1.7 steals...

Here's 2 consecutive years for MJ 1.5 blocks, 2.9 steals...1.6blocks, 3.2 steals...

Pippen 2.9 steals, and 1.1 blocks, 2.6 steals ppg, and 1.2 blocks...

See the huge difference. Pippen and Mj actually played great defense and had stats to back it up. Lebron is on the all defense team purely because of his high profile name, and marketing behind Espn/nike...

:agree:

Sman, don't let facts or stats get introduced involving an argument involving love for another!

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe in the regular season but the post season brought the cream of the crop, very similar to what we are seeing now. I think it's actually the other way around, if James would have played back then he might be better suited for playing better defender in the post season. When faced with stellar team defense the Heat struggle. I think this says a lot about the HC over in Miami. With all the talent this guy has in Miami he should really coast to a Championship. If Pops had that team, they certainly would have 3 Rings by now instead of one big Asterisk!

Here's the "cream of the crop defenses" back in the postseason of 1987 leading up to the Finals for the Lakers.

1st round Denver 37-45 (5 game series) Defensive rating 110.2ppg 15th in the league (out of 23 teams)
2nd round Golden St. 42-40 Defensive rating 111.2ppg 21st in the league
3rd round Seattle 39-43 Defensive rating 110.3ppg 16th in the league.

Who would have thought a Finals team could struggle against "stellar defense"

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are all very good comparisons and my memory is obviously not A+ material when it comes to every game layed back in the day, especially when you are talking about 6 championships! LOL

But I have watched bball for a long time (Bird and Magic days) and from what I have seen I just don't think the league is as strong as it was back in the 80's or 90's.

I think the current NBA is full of athletes, but lacks alot of great players. I think there are some great scorers in the NBA today, but all-around greatness is lacking. And I think back in the 80's 90's, there were more dominant, great players. I wonder what Tim Duncan would say to this... He's played in both Era's.

MJ and Pippen were just nasty on D and executed very well on offense. Maybe they lost a game here and there, but the 1995-1996 team started 41-3! 37-0 at home then ended the year at 39-2! Won 44 in a row (7 from the previous season)!

That's dominance. :gaah:

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can certainly speculate on this for sure but it is pure speculation on your part for sure. Everyone wants to see a superior athlete in their time and for most is it LeBron in their minds. I've seen both play in my time, and for me it's an easy decision, hands down Pippen was a far superior defensive player, hand check or no hand check. Look at the film Junkie put out there, it should tell you a story or two about the player. I didn't see too many hand checks outside of the way he played Magic in the Finals.

Had the Lakers been able to put guards on the court in that series that weren't injured who knows if Scottie even employees the hand check in that Finals. Kudos to Phil for understanding the dynamics in that series.

I agree its speculation and dont think I'm saying Lebron is defensively on Pippens level but I would bet money that Lebron studied Pippens defensive tape. He plays the same position D minus the hand checking while not be as good at it as Pip was. I cant think of a better defensive player than Pip. The only one in my mind that was on his level was Gary Payton.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the "cream of the crop defenses" back in the postseason of 1987 leading up to the Finals for the Lakers.

1st round Denver 37-45 (5 game series) Defensive rating 110.2ppg 15th in the league (out of 23 teams)
2nd round Golden St. 42-40 Defensive rating 111.2ppg 21st in the league
3rd round Seattle 39-43 Defensive rating 110.3ppg 16th in the league.

Who would have thought a Finals team could struggle against "stellar defense"

The Lakers were 7th in DRtg. I've always said their defense was underated. Many only remember that killer fast break.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome back D Wade. Another chicago kid. Heat bounced back and played hard. Why not play hard 24/7 is my question?

And I would love to watch a finals game that's not a blowout. Am I being too picky?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 6 tonight. Do or die for the Heat. It's big boy time

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Lebron chokes late in game 6, only to be bailed out by Ray Allen.

Now that boy got game. Clutch. Lebron? Not so much. And not even in the same class or sentence as MJ or Pippen!