• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lawrence Jackson

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet! I like when the novellas start getting busted out to prove points which are not related to the original topic. This is when it gets good.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is so bad about that statement? detroit has question marks all over the place and at key positions. i didn't say detroit was going to be terrible at these positions, but that they had question marks going into the season.

OL -- we have no clue what we will get out of them. the majority of the line will be starting for the first time for the Lions next year. we don't even know who the starters will be or what positions they are going to play yet. that is a pretty big question mark.

DE -- we have willie young and jason jones as the starters right now. neither has been a starter in the NFL or shown they can match the production of the two guys that left. could they? absolutely. do i think it is going to be less productive than in year's past? yes. could i be wrong? yes. that is a pretty important position for the wide 9 and there are alot of questions on how the position will perform.

LB -- we have two positions filled. one with Tulloch in the middle. levy as one of the outside LBs. The linebackers are one of the main keys to the wide 9, as they have a ton of responsibility filling gaps and stopping the run. Is Levy going to progress into a solid LB on the outside and who is going to step into the other OLB spot? Ashlee Palmer? Alot of question marks with that position.

WR -- We have the best player in the game in Calvin Johnson. After that -- what do we have? Can Burleson come back from his broken leg and be productive? Can Broyles come back from major knee surgery on both knees and be productive? Can Mike Thomas catch a ball thrown his way? With all the picks we've spent on this position -- It should be a position of extreme strength, but instead it is filled with question marks after Megatron.

As I see it right now -- Detroit is set at QB with Stafford, RB with Bush, Leshoure and Bell, Safety with Quin and Delmas and DT with Fairley and Suh. The rest of positions have some sort of question marks coming into the season, IMO.

Dude, the problem is not that you are saying we have question marks. We do. We all know that. The problem is you are saying that this team has more question marks than any other Lions team in the team's history. That is just insane. Seriously man, think about that before you respond. You are saying that this years Lions team has more question marks than any other lions team ever. Ever.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is you are saying that this team has more question marks than any other Lions team in the team's history.

It cracks me up how literal everyone takes comments on this site. I didn't make the statement to say the 2013 team has more question marks than any team in the history of the Detroit Lions franchise. I couldn't even comment on the history of the Lions franchise as I wasn't even alive for half their teams. I made the statement regarding the team since Mayhew took over, I apologize if I didn't specifically type that out. That is what we have been discussing in these threads for the last couple years. I didn't realize I had to state that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest holes, in order right now, imo-

O-line: We're looking at new starters for sure at LT, RT and RG and possibly at center. We have two starting candidates to step up in Reiff and Fox, but we need to add a starting tackle or guard in this draft.

DE- Jason Jones will fill the LDE spot, but who will man the right? LoJack would be a wise signing to give us some insurance, but the #36 pick may offer us a great option at the position.

WR- We need a starter opposite of Megatron, preferable someone with some speed and size to challenge the defense deep. Broyles and Burleson should both be ready to go by week one, although Broyles probably won't be 100% till midseason. Mike Thomas is also another good option in the slot who I expect to see utilized more often this year- he's one of the fastest guys on the field whenever he's out there.

If Justin Hunter is there in the 3rd that would be a match made in heaven, imo.

OLB: We have internal options in Ashlee Palmer, Tahir Whitehead and Travis Lewis. Still, adding a Arthur Brown or a Khaseem Greene would be a solid move this weekend.

CB: A shut-down CB is still a priority, but we do have the CBs to roll with this year if we don't add anyone. The 3 rookies from last year will be that much farther along this year, and Ron Bartell is another guy who many are overlooking right now. He's got the size we want and he's been a pretty effective starter in the right defense.

That being said, this is a good looking draft for mid-round CBs. We'd be wise to add some talent to the mix somewhere in the first 3 or 4 rounds...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It cracks me up how literal everyone takes comments on this site. I didn't make the statement to say the 2013 team has more question marks than any team in the history of the Detroit Lions franchise. I couldn't even comment on the history of the Lions franchise as I wasn't even alive for half their teams. I made the statement regarding the team since Mayhew took over, I apologize if I didn't specifically type that out. That is what we have been discussing in these threads for the last couple years. I didn't realize I had to state that.

That's because we cant see inflection in typed words. We can only read what you type. You can not assume anyone will remember posts from a month ago either.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait wait wait. So when you say exactly that, you don't mean it? You literally said that, then when I take it at what you said, you are saying it cracks you up? Does that basically mean you are admittedly full of shit?

They have more question marks than ever though.

Perhaps you dont understand what the phrase EVER means?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think penciling in Jason Jones as the starter at LDE is a bit premature. He could very well win the position, and could perform beyond anything he has done to date, but I would be disappointed if he were the best option the Lions had going into the season.

On the other hand, if there is enough talent elsewhere on the team, the Lions can win with subpar DEs. I'm not one of those who believe the Lions are doomed if they don't do what I think should be done.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. You seemed to think they are doomed no matter what they do.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did you get that, Kreton?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think penciling in Jason Jones as the starter at LDE is a bit premature. He could very well win the position, and could perform beyond anything he has done to date, but I would be disappointed if he were the best option the Lions had going into the season.

On the other hand, if there is enough talent elsewhere on the team, the Lions can win with subpar DEs. I'm not one of those who believe the Lions are doomed if they don't do what I think should be done.
It sounds like Schwartz has plans for him to take over for Avril though. If we can upgrade the position- all the better. But Schwartzy has said that he likes Jones' power and ability to collapse the pocket from the end position better than Avril's outside speed rush.

His words were something to the extent of "we're going a different direction at DE with Jason" and I got the impression that he like's Jones' long arms and ability to flush the QB up into the pocket, right into Fairley and Suh, rather than pushing the QB out and letting him run.

I agree that Jones' stats aren't there for the pass-rusher that we're looking for, but it sounds like they have a very particular plan in place for him. We'll see how all that shakes out through training camp.

I'd be just fine with re-signing LoJack to be one starter with Jones on the other end. If we could then add a good DE prospect like Carradine, Werner, Moore or Hunt in the 2nd round we'd have a good rotation going, especially with Willie Young and Ronnell Lewis in the mix.

Lewis is a guy who I think will surprise this year. He's got the build and speed/athleticism to be a good situational pass rusher for us. Perhaps it'll be something of Jones on running downs and Lewis in the passing situations.

I'd also like to see the occasional 3 man front this year with Lewis and Young manning the OLB spots, just to throw a 3-4 look at the opposing offense a few times a game. Lewis is the real wildcard for us... he's got skills, but is a tweener as far as his position goes...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thruthefog, how long would you say you've been a Lions fan? Do you like AC/DC? What are your thoughts on BBQ?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may have the wrong guy here, Kreton.

If Thruthefog is who I think he is, then he's anything but a negative type...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the additional info on Jones. I had missed that. And I agree that just because someone didn't start, doesn't mean they can't play. This might be lost on you since you're not a baseball fan, but Lou Gerhig didn't play until Wally Pipp got hurt. Which is one of the knocks on Ansah, that he didn't start until someone else got hurt. I don't know who that someone else is, but I don't think he's being considered in the top ten of the draft.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because we cant see inflection in typed words. We can only read what you type. You can not assume anyone will remember posts from a month ago either.

I think logically speaking, you wouldn't have to explain a post like that. What happened pre-Mayhew has nothing to do with the team he has put together. I guess from this point on -- I will make sure to be more clear on my posts, as I can see, things are very easily taken out of context on here.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tpaul, I've been a Lions fan since, oh, about 1968.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait wait wait. So when you say exactly that, you don't mean it? You literally said that, then when I take it at what you said, you are saying it cracks you up? Does that basically mean you are admittedly full of shit?

They have more question marks than ever though.

Perhaps you dont understand what the phrase EVER means?

Kreton,

you can try to be a smartass, i'm fine with that. i just explained, it wasn't meant literally (as in the history of the team). i'm sure there will be other phrases used in these threads, please do not take them literally either. Phrases like:

Detroit will have to break the bank to sign "player X"
This DOES NOT mean, Detroit is literally going to have to break open a bank to sign a player.

Detroit will have to back up the Brinks Truck to sign "player X"
This DOES NOT mean, Detroit is going to literally have to request an armored Brinks Truck to bring money to a certain player.

"Player X" is built like a shit brickhouse or a tank
This DOES NOT mean, "Player X" is literally built like brick outhouse or a military tank.

"Player X" has a cannon for an arm
This DOES NOT mean, "Player X" literally has a cannon attached to his body

Calvin Johnson's nickname is Megatron
This DOES NOT mean he is a Transformer or the leader of the Decepticon.

"Player X" can flat out fly
This DOES NOT mean the player can literally fly thru the air like Superman.

I can give you a more in depth list later, if you'd like.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kreton may not want a more in depth list, but I'd like one.

I like to have all the rules spelled out. Don't like having to interpret anything.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you may have the wrong guy here, Kreton.

If Thruthefog is who I think he is, then he's anything but a negative type...

Do I? I am pretty sure he is MikeD