• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lawrence Jackson

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi, I'm Muzz thought we met.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've "met" on here, but not in person, which many of us have. I think that's why it seems like some of us always take each-other's side on stuff on here, because were friend's outside of the board.

That's what I was getting at anyhow, that we don't know you in real life, so the dry personality is harder to pick up on than it otherwise would be.

Zwic is a great example for this one- he posts like a total dickwad, but he's also a total dickwad in person. He's rarely serious, and just likes to stir the pot. If I didn't actually know him in person, I probably would despise him online...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've "met" on here, but not in person, which many of us have. I think that's why it seems like some of us always take each-other's side on stuff on here, because were friend's outside of the board.

That's what I was getting at anyhow, that we don't know you in real life, so the dry personality is harder to pick up on than it otherwise would be.

Zwic is a great example for this one- he posts like a total dickwad, but he's also a total dickwad in person. He's rarely serious, and just likes to stir the pot. If I didn't actually know him in person, I probably would despise him online...

Then just treat me like zwic.....I seem to get along with him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but to be fair, you are negative on virtually everyone. of course you feel as if they regressed.

kreton -- what would you like me to say? the team went 4-12. Outside of a few players, the vast majority WERE terrible last year. would you rather i just post about stafford and calvin johnson all day or talk about the problems that need to be fixed? everyone already knows Detroit is set at QB and their #1 WR position.

in your opinion, do you believe willie young and lawrence jackson were better players last year than in the past few years? Young finished the year with 0 sacks, Jackson had a career low in tackles and only 2.5 sacks, the fewest since his rookie year.

i apologize if I look at the DE position as a weakness on the Lions right now, but that is how I feel.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(sorry for using you as an example, MikeD... hope that's cool?)

i don't mind. i try to use the IMO or I think, etc. when I post, but in actuality, the overwhelming majority of the posts on these boards regarding the Lions are opinions.

i realize now, after you said as much, that you were taking some of my statements as fact, but they are nothing more than my opinion, so if i forget to put it in a post -- it wasn't intentional.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went 4-12, but that's not all on the players.

We run a defective defensive scheme to start with. It's so easy to gash up the middle and also to beat with dump off passes via play action that we'll have to score 35 points a game to win as long as the wide 9 is in place.

Also, per the points differential, we were right near the middle of the pack. We still wouldn't have been a playoff squad last year, but statistically we should have been much closer to 7-9. Still not good, but much better than finishing 4-12.

Then there's our idiot coach- he's not helping matters. Schwartz is way too head strong to be a good head coach- try and tell me Peterman was better last year than Reiff would have been. Schwartz also literally gave the Thanksgiving game away with his temper-tantrum last year.

So yes, we were 4-12 and that sucks. But we also have way, way more talent than the other teams drafting in the top 5 (with the exception of KC, they're in the same boat we are). There's plenty to be pissed about, but also plenty to like. You'v gotten way more relaxed since we did so well in free agency started (maybe that helped ease the sting f last season some), but some guys just wanna harp on the negatives and ignore the positives.

The way I look at it is this, and it serves me very well: I have zero power to change anything I don't like about the Lions. No matter how much I complain, I simply don't have the means to make anything happen. So I chose not to focus on that stuff. I'd rather focus on the positive aspects of the team and talk about how they can make us better.

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A signing of LoJack frees up the draft in that it takes the pressure off of taking a DE in the one of the first 3 rounds, where other needs like CB,OT,OLB can be addressed IMO.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We went 4-12, but that's not all on the players.

We run a defective defensive scheme to start with. It's so easy to gash up the middle and also to beat with dump off passes via play action that we'll have to score 35 points a game to win as long as the wide 9 is in place.

I can't get on board with this thinking. The scheme always comes secondary to the talent of the players. If you have talent, you can play any scheme well. Detroit's problem is -- the don't have the LBs to play the Wide 9. I know people have talked about Levy being a solid pick, but he is a below average LB who misses WAY too many tackles. It isn't going to get any better with Ashlee Palmer looking to be the other OLB starting for the Lions now. You have to have solid LBs who fill gaps and don't miss tackles for the Wide 9 to be successful. Other than Tulloch -- Detroit doesn't have that, IMO.

Last year -- running backs averaged 3.0 YPC before contact. That is a crazy stat. Running the same defense in 2010 though, Detroit only gave up 2.1 YPC before contact, which only 4 or 5 teams had better numbers. So the defense can be successful, you just have to have the talent to execute. That is one of the main reasons you always hear me saying (and I know it gets repetitive) that the Lions need to draft Defense, Defense, Defense. When you are trying to fill critical roles on defense with mid to late round picks, you are going to get mid to late round talent. That isn't going to get it done, unless you find a stud who slipped thru the cracks, like a Richard Sherman.

It is great to see the Lions draft their shiny new toys for the offense, year in and year out, but they need to continue to build on their defense or they are going to continue to play shootouts every week.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yes, we were 4-12 and that sucks. But we also have way, way more talent than the other teams drafting in the top 5 (with the exception of KC, they're in the same boat we are). There's plenty to be pissed about, but also plenty to like. You'v gotten way more relaxed since we did so well in free agency started (maybe that helped ease the sting f last season some), but some guys just wanna harp on the negatives and ignore the positives.

I agree -- the Lions are way too talented to be a 4-12 team. They have alot of key pieces in place and have 2 or 3 franchise type players. The problem is the talent around them.

I know alot of die hards would rather talk about the positives -- but the positives have nothing to do with the team taking a huge step backwards last year. Yes, Fairley and Suh are one of the top DT pairings in the league. Yes, Stafford is a great young QB. Yes, Calvin Johnson is the best player in the NFL right now. Yes, the signing of Quin and Bush filled two huges holes on the team.

Detroit's biggest problems going into this year though is -- They don't have anyone to play opposite Megatron on the outside. They lack an impact starter at the OLB position. They lack a talented DE and as it stands right now, we are going to be starting career backups at both DE positions. No one knows what our OL is going to look like and we won't know until after the draft and we have no idea how they will play in this upcoming year, as the majority of the line will be new starters.

So while Detroit has alot to look forward to with the upcoming season. They have more question marks than ever though. It could be a good thing for the Lions to start new. We won't know until we see the players on the field.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, our DE's suck less with Avril gone to The Emerald City and KVB out to pasture. Replacing them would be nice,(also very practical) but them being gone is already a step in the right direction. Also, IMO, LoJack has been the best all around end on the roster for two seasons. A chance to make it three is something I support.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO this thread is stupid. But I would be very happy to resign LoJack.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ronnell Lewis-Willie Young-Jason Jones-Ziggy Ansuh

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems most people are in agreement that the Lions have more talent than their performances would seem to indicate. Why, then, does Schwartz still have a job? Is it because of the extension? Seems like the team is just throwing away good money after bad.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually he makes rediculous statements backed up by misguided logic. There is no possible way to explain that statement.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems most people are in agreement that the Lions have more talent than their performances would seem to indicate. Why, then, does Schwartz still have a job? Is it because of the extension? Seems like the team is just throwing away good money after bad.

Schwartz has a job because the Lions made the playoffs the year before. I dont like the man, but that is why he is still here.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is probably the worst statement you have EVER made.

what is so bad about that statement? detroit has question marks all over the place and at key positions. i didn't say detroit was going to be terrible at these positions, but that they had question marks going into the season.

OL -- we have no clue what we will get out of them. the majority of the line will be starting for the first time for the Lions next year. we don't even know who the starters will be or what positions they are going to play yet. that is a pretty big question mark.

DE -- we have willie young and jason jones as the starters right now. neither has been a starter in the NFL or shown they can match the production of the two guys that left. could they? absolutely. do i think it is going to be less productive than in year's past? yes. could i be wrong? yes. that is a pretty important position for the wide 9 and there are alot of questions on how the position will perform.

LB -- we have two positions filled. one with Tulloch in the middle. levy as one of the outside LBs. The linebackers are one of the main keys to the wide 9, as they have a ton of responsibility filling gaps and stopping the run. Is Levy going to progress into a solid LB on the outside and who is going to step into the other OLB spot? Ashlee Palmer? Alot of question marks with that position.

WR -- We have the best player in the game in Calvin Johnson. After that -- what do we have? Can Burleson come back from his broken leg and be productive? Can Broyles come back from major knee surgery on both knees and be productive? Can Mike Thomas catch a ball thrown his way? With all the picks we've spent on this position -- It should be a position of extreme strength, but instead it is filled with question marks after Megatron.

As I see it right now -- Detroit is set at QB with Stafford, RB with Bush, Leshoure and Bell, Safety with Quin and Delmas and DT with Fairley and Suh. The rest of positions have some sort of question marks coming into the season, IMO.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually he makes rediculous statements backed up by misguided logic. There is no possible way to explain that statement.

I hear ya Kreton, but to put that one statement above all the others is tough. Or rather, BOLD. Back when the Lions were month and a half into losing every Sunday (plus a Thursday) there were a couple doozies!