• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they would've won that game wash had already been outclassed by la Russa in previous games.

Funny, but I seem to remember MLB channel spending a full day raking LaRussa's butt over the coals concerning his bullpen moves.
Also, it's been 3 months and Feliz is just now finding an interpretor to give us the low down on his feelings AFTER Hamilton hits the HR? Sounds like Feliz is trying to cover his ass.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, but I seem to remember MLB channel spending a full day raking LaRussa's butt over the coals concerning his bullpen moves.
Also, it's been 3 months and Feliz is just now finding an interpretor to give us the low down on his feelings AFTER Hamilton hits the HR? Sounds like Feliz is trying to cover his ass.

Point taken. Time to move on I suppose.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this s what a Nationals reporter said about Texas & Fielder:

National writer: If Rangers sign Prince Fielder, he'd be best hitter in baseball 'by a mile'

USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale joined KESN-FM's Galloway & Co. last week to discuss the Rangers' meeting with Prince Fielder. Here are some highlights:

On if the Rangers met with Fielder simply to gain leverage in their negotiations with Yu Darvish:

I don’t think it hurts. I think Darvish is in a tough spot, just like when Boras represented Matsuzaka, Boras thought he was going to get over $100 million for Matsuzaka, but the Red Sox said, “Hey, we’re counting the $50 million we just paid the Japanese team, so tough break.” That’s the way the Japanese system works. I think the Rangers are going to say the same thing. “Hey, we know you want to come over here, but we just paid $52 million to your Japanese club, so we’re not going to spend a ton.” It’s a tough break for Darvish, but that’s the way it is.

On who will sign Prince Fielder:

I think Texas. Texas has never gone away from this thing. I think they want to put a stranglehold on the division and what the Angels just did with C.J. Wilson and Pujols, they answer back with this and once again they’re the favorites and could be the favorites for a long time. And I think if you sign Prince Fielder, you’re guaranteed to get three million fans, as well.

On how good Fielder could be with the Rangers:

The sky’s the limit. I think a minimum of 50 or 60 home runs. Not just in that ballpark, but with the protection in that lineup, surrounded by everybody. And you’ve got money coming off the books too, so it’s really going to help the Rangers when you’ve got Young coming off the books and those types of guys. But I think by pure numbers, he’d be the number one hitter in all of baseball by a mile. I think he would be Juan Gonzalez all over again.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers and Indians are looking at free agent outfielder Ryan Spilborghs, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The 32-year-old outfielder was non-tendered by the Rockies about a month ago.

Spilborghs scuffled to a .210/.283/.305 line in 2011. Prior to that, his career line was a healthy .281/.354/.440. A right-handed hitter, Spilborghs has faced lefties in 40% of his career plate appearances and has done well against them. He's capable of playing all three outfield positions.

With the Rangers, Spilborghs would make a good platoon partner for David Murphy in left field, if the Rangers are to use Josh Hamilton in center.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers will not be giving significant CF time to Hamilton, not til the playoffs anyway, its not a realistic option, I don't know why people keep saying it

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Feliz now says he was ready to go and no one asked him to pitch. Wash says the man was so distraught that no one could even speak to him. Someone is hedging here. I will always be astonished that after Josh's HR Feliz didn't immediately ask for the ball to go out and close it out the right way this time. Redemption. But now he says he was ready to roll and Wash didn't even look his way. Maybe a bit of over-managing by Wash and fuzzy memory by Feliz. Who knows? But he should have gone back out there. I do know that.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a pitcher wants the ball...he'll ask for it. IMO.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So Feliz now says he was ready to go and no one asked him to pitch. Wash says the man was so distraught that no one could even speak to him. Someone is hedging here. I will always be astonished that after Josh's HR Feliz didn't immediately ask for the ball to go out and close it out the right way this time. Redemption. But now he says he was ready to roll and Wash didn't even look his way. Maybe a bit of over-managing by Wash and fuzzy memory by Feliz. Who knows? But he should have gone back out there. I do know that.

I think it speaks volumes that they have decided to move Feliz out of the bullpen. There were plenty of questions about his mentality before that dreadful outing, so I tend to side with management's decision. Remember, this isn't Wash against the world with this decision. It's Wash, JD, Nolan and the other coaches.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a feeling we are about to have a big week and the last laugh of the offseason for the Rangers. I expect Darvish to sign in the next 24 hours, as it doesn't sound like the two sides are far off. Maybe it goes down to the final hour if the Rangers think they can squeeze that sixth year out of the deal.

Once that is done I also expect an announcement by the weekend that they have come to terms on Fielder, or at the very least that they are in heavy negotiations with him and a deal is imminent. This move makes too much sense, and now that it looks like he isn't getting 8-10 years, the Rangers probably figure they can make this work.

I also think that Oswalt will be signed in the next two weeks and you will hear talks of the team shopping Harrison around for prospects or a CF.

Just in time for the ramp up to spring training!

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im thinking we get prince,darvish and trade moreland/cruz??(plus others) for a arm.....hamels/cain would be the top of the wish list

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
im thinking we get prince,darvish and trade moreland/cruz??(plus others) for a arm.....hamels/cain would be the top of the wish list

I can't see them parting with Nellie. If they were to deal anyone like that it would be Hambone, although I think you are going to see him sign a discount deal to stay. It might mean that Young is out once his deal is done though. I'm just not sure if he would take a low enough salary to finish here.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think mike would stay and if we sign fielder we have to trade or move moreland to OF....if we keep him then imo cruz can be traded,but i would be fine with trading mitch as my 1st choice

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling we are about to have a big week and the last laugh of the offseason for the Rangers. I expect Darvish to sign in the next 24 hours, as it doesn't sound like the two sides are far off. Maybe it goes down to the final hour if the Rangers think they can squeeze that sixth year out of the deal.

Once that is done I also expect an announcement by the weekend that they have come to terms on Fielder, or at the very least that they are in heavy negotiations with him and a deal is imminent. This move makes too much sense, and now that it looks like he isn't getting 8-10 years, the Rangers probably figure they can make this work.

I also think that Oswalt will be signed in the next two weeks and you will hear talks of the team shopping Harrison around for prospects or a CF.

If you swap out Harrison for Oswalt you undo alot of the good you did by getting Darvish and Fielder, colossal mistake in the long run

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would rather keep Harrison than sign Oswalt and trade Harrison. If Texas signs Darvish (I have no doubt they will) and then sign fielder and perhaps shop Moreland for one more bullpen arm, and sign Gonzalez that's plenty of offseason moves for me. A Darvish/Fielder signing alone should put Texas at the top of the power rankings.

Also, I love Nelly, but I'm not opposed to shopping him and letting Murphy and Moreland cover right field. Moreland is an adequate RF with a strong arm. Nelly is a decent rf, but no gold glover and he might be more injury prone than josh.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the man in CF can hit his weight and cover a lot of ground on defense, I'm ok with that, Gentry can do that, plus Gentry is a beast on the bases

He needs to work on his bunting just a bit and he could be a serviceable player

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see them parting with Nellie. If they were to deal anyone like that it would be Hambone, although I think you are going to see him sign a discount deal to stay. It might mean that Young is out once his deal is done though. I'm just not sure if he would take a low enough salary to finish here.

I think young is done once his contract is up. People forget his 80 million dollar deal is coming off the books soon and at his age if he wants to stay with Texas he'll have to be the dh/utility player at a much lower salary than he gets now. Something like 3yrs at 13 m. Otherwise, let him go knowing Cruz or Hamilton will eventually not be able to play the OF full time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the man in CF can hit his weight and cover a lot of ground on defense, I'm ok with that, Gentry can do that, plus Gentry is a beast on the bases

He needs to work on his bunting just a bit and he could be a serviceable player

Could not agree more. I see no reason to rush out and make a deal for a cf. gentry can handle the position until Martin is ready to platoon with him.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Craig Gentry. He showed some good promise last year with the bat, has great speed, and I hear is a great clubhouse guy. Rangers should include him in future plans.

And Young is still a great hitter. His DH future looks pretty good, but not likely in Texas. Unless he agrees to retire a Ranger and take a big big salary cut when his deal runs out, he will play elsewhere beyond 2013.