• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another team eliminated from the Fielder chase?:

Signing Fielder is "just not going to happen" for the Cubs, manager Dale Svuem told reporters, including Chris De Luca and Godron Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times (Twitter link).

I doubt the cubs will really be players. Theo is looking to get young. Zambrano is already gone (good trade for the cubs to unload that psycho and his awful contract) and I guarantee Garza can still be had for the right price. Doesn't sound like a team looking to sign an elite FA.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I'm not totally convinced that signing fielder and josh are mutually exclusive. Young's big contract is coming off the books after 2013, and at his age Texas may choose to re-sign him, but at a certainly lower salary than he gets now. Feldman comes off the books after this year as well. There's a substantial increase in funds from the last 2 WS and a monster tv contract, and josh says he just wants something fair.

The question is, what does he consider fair? His injury history makes me hesitant to give him 100m at 5yrs guaranteed. But something like a 4yr deal with 70m guaranteed plus another 10m in incentives. I honestly see Cruz and Andrus being the ones we let walk. Moreland is a capable rf with a strong arm and Profar will be ready to step in for Elvis.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another team eliminated from the Fielder chase?:

Signing Fielder is "just not going to happen" for the Cubs, manager Dale Svuem told reporters, including Chris De Luca and Godron Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times (Twitter link).

Can't eliminate anybody right now, especially if the years they are seeking have gone from 10 to 5 or 6. Heard on MLB yesterday that Baltimore may be in the hunt.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't eliminate anybody right now, especially if the years they are seeking have gone from 10 to 5 or 6. Heard on MLB yesterday that Baltimore may be in the hunt.

Right. Because that is where an elite 1b wants to go. The bottom rung of the al east.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. Because that is where an elite 1b wants to go. The bottom rung of the al east.

which also makes you ask why an elite 1B would want to go to Washington (not going to challenge Philadelphia, Atlanta or Miami for at least 2 or 3 years), Seattle (years away from challenging Texas or LAA) or Chicago (which could be 4 or 5 years from challenging anyone in the Central)?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which also makes you ask why an elite 1B would want to go to Washington (not going to challenge Philadelphia, Atlanta or Miami for at least 2 or 3 years), Seattle (years away from challenging Texas or LAA) or Chicago (which could be 4 or 5 years from challenging anyone in the Central)?

Fielder is the kind of player that could put them over the top and challenge for the NL East this year, good starting pitching solid bullpen, and talent at just about every position, and thats before Bryce Harper shows up

With Fielder the only position that would be seen as a serious weakness is CF

Its amazing people assume that Washington has no talent, its just young talent

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder is the kind of player that could put them over the top and challenge for the NL East this year, good starting pitching solid bullpen, and talent at just about every position, and thats before Bryce Harper shows up

Very true. There is no doubt that they have the pitching needed, and Fielder could make them very competitive, and remember the phillies are not untouchable. They didn't even make it out of the NLDS. Fielder has to decide if he wants to be THE man on a competitive team, or does he want to be key on a team built for long-term success?

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn the yanks just trade for pineda from seattle.....dang m's just letting a 22 year old pitcher go????....for jesus montero

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn the yanks just trade for pineda from seattle.....dang m's just letting a 22 year old pitcher go????....for jesus montero

Jack z is an idiot.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton says he is still open to an extension up until spring training, and said he would welcome fielder to the lineup. He also states he is not concerned that the club signing Fielder might cause problems with his own contract talks. He definitely wants to remain in Texas.

I get the feeling he is more concerned about years and stability than getting 22-24m a year. Obviously he'll expect a raise, but that doesn't mean pujols money.

Don't read too much into extension talks being put on hold right now. JD has something cooking to go along with Darvish and they're focused in that right now. There's still time to make plenty happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and yet with all their talent they finished 21.5 games behind Philly and 13 games behind Atlanta. is Fielder going to improve them by those WAR numbers?

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet with all their talent they finished 21.5 games behind Philly and 13 games behind Atlanta. is Fielder going to improve them by those WAR numbers?

Strasburg was out for most of the season............

An addition of Strasburg, Fielder and Harper (in a year or 2)... could very easily put the Nationals in the hunt. Easily.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So the word is that the sticking point on the Rangers negotiations with Darvish is the years. Here's the tricky thing though. The Rangers want a 6 year deal while Darvish wants 5. So what does that tell us?

1: Darvish is going to sign. The Rangers will at the very least get him for 5 years.

2: The Fielder talks are not a fallback option. The Rangers know that they are going to sign Darvish, and they know for how much and very close to how long.

Man this is awesome stuff!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A full year of Strasburg and Zimmerman, the addition of Gio Gonzalez, growth by young players, a bounceback year by Werth, along with Fielder, sure

Plus Phlly is an old team that is going to be without Howard for about half the year

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz said that after he watched Josh Hamilton hit the two-run homer in the top of the tenth, he was ready to pitch.

"I was upset," Feliz said through a translator before signing autographs at Rangers FanFest on Sunday at the Arlington Convention Center. "But after we hit the home run, I thought I was ready, but no one told me to pitch. When we got the lead back, I thought I was going to be able to come back because I was more calm and relaxed after that."

Wash is an idiot. We all know what a great team/clubhouse manager he is, but he was thoroughly outclassed by la Russa. People were on feliz's ass for not being ready to come back in because Wash talked about how distraught he was. I thought that sounded embellished. Instead we got an aging soft tossing lefty who left a crap pile for Feldman.

Sorry if this re-opens the wound, but I found this very interesting.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz said that after he watched Josh Hamilton hit the two-run homer in the top of the tenth, he was ready to pitch.

"I was upset," Feliz said through a translator before signing autographs at Rangers FanFest on Sunday at the Arlington Convention Center. "But after we hit the home run, I thought I was ready, but no one told me to pitch. When we got the lead back, I thought I was going to be able to come back because I was more calm and relaxed after that."

Wash is an idiot. We all know what a great team/clubhouse manager he is, but he was thoroughly outclassed by la Russa. People were on feliz's ass for not being ready to come back in because Wash talked about how distraught he was. I thought that sounded embellished. Instead we got an aging soft tossing lefty who left a crap pile for Feldman.

If Feliz had been ready the first go round then this discussion wouldn't be necessary

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Feliz had been ready the first go round then this discussion wouldn't be necessary

There's a difference between not being ready and failing to execute. Point is Feliz and Wash are saying two very different things about that situation where we needed our closer with a depleted bullpen and he supposedly "was too distraught". I thought bs from the beginning.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

What do you expect him to say? "Yeah. I was broken. no way I could have done it." This is the guy who said he didn't want to be a starter, then said he liked being a starter, and then said he didn't like being a starter. Manager's are paid to make decisions for these guys sometime. You don't think that Wash talked to Maddux and his staff and they made a group decision on it?

Wash was one strike away from outclassing LaRussa. Twice. Funny how things make such a 180 so quickly.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you expect him to say? "Yeah. I was broken. no way I could have done it." This is the guy who said he didn't want to be a starter, then said he liked being a starter, and then said he didn't like being a starter. Manager's are paid to make decisions for these guys sometime. You don't think that Wash talked to Maddux and his staff and they made a group decision on it?

Wash was one strike away from outclassing LaRussa. Twice. Funny how things make such a 180 so quickly.

Even if they would've won that game wash had already been outclassed by la Russa in previous games.