• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers are trolling the rehabilitation market, looking for bargain players recovering from surgery.

Dan Horwits, who represents outfielder-first baseman Brad Hawpe, said the Rangers are among three clubs that his client is considering. Hawpe had "Tommy John" tendon-transplant surgery on the left elbow in August and likely will be limited in spring training.

Hawpe, 32, is coming off the worst season of his career. He hit .231 with four homers and 19 RBIs and a .645 OPS in 216 at-bats with San Diego last season.

Hawpe, of Saginaw Boswell High School, was an All-Star with Colorado in 2009. He was in the Rockies system when Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and assistant general manager Thad Levine were in the Colorado front office. The Rangers view Hawpe as a bench player.

Daniels said the club has "been in touch" with the representatives for free-agent right-handed reliever Joel Zumaya , who has not pitched in a game since June 28, 2010, because of a fractured right elbow. Rangers scout Mike Anderson attended Zumaya's workout in December, where his fastball was clocked at a consistent 95 mph.

Zumaya, 27, had 210 strikeouts in 2092/3 innings in 171 appearances with Detroit. San Diego and the Los Angeles Angels are also interested in Zumaya.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Talk of the Rangers now talking to Oswalt's agent. Darvish and Oswalt???? Yes please!!!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No interest in Oswalt whatsoever, Darvish or no Darvish, his back seems primed to implode at any moment, last year was just the beginning of the end

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk of the Rangers now talking to Oswalt's agent. Darvish and Oswalt???? Yes please!!!

I'd pass. No need for Oswalt, even if we don't get Yu. I'd save the money on Roy for Josh and Nap, and the roster spot he would take up for keeping Harrison or some other starter on the team.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a story by Richard Durrett where josh talks about just how serious his injury in the post season was. I'm in awe that he was even able to play.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers president Nolan Ryan told reporters that he expects the club to sign Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish by the 3pm Wednesday deadline, writes Jeff Wilson of the Star-Telegram. Ryan also believes that the negotiations will go down to the wire.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pass. No need for Oswalt, even if we don't get Yu. I'd save the money on Roy for Josh and Nap, and the roster spot he would take up for keeping Harrison or some other starter on the team.

If you just really want a pitcher on a one year deal I would rather have kuroda.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As negotiations with Yu Darvish appear to be going well, the Rangers continue to make inquiries on veteran right-hander Roy Oswalt, a major league official told Gerry Fraley of The Dallas Morning News. Bob Garber, who represents Oswalt, declined to comment.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Rangers did sing Oswalt and Darvish, it would mean that the Rangers have seven starting pitchers on the major league roster, not including Scott Feldman. They would have Oswalt, Darvish, Neftali Feliz, Alexi Ogando, Derek Holland, Matt Harrison and Colby Lewis to compete for five slots in the rotation. There has been some buzz about the Rangers using a six-man rotation in 2011 in order to limit innings for some of their young pitchers as well as Darvish who will making the transition to the big leagues, but that does not appear to be anything the Rangers are interested in.

If the Rangers are serious about landing Oswalt and Darvish, there is much more to this story and the Rangers will be active on the trade front as well. Not only do the Rangers have those starters, but they have Feldman slated for the bullpen and Martin Perez waiting in Round Rock. Without Darvish and Oswalt, they should have sufficient starters for the season, even if injuries play a factor. The Rangers' rotation was extremely healthy in 2011 and they cannot expect to repeat that run of good luck in 2012. However, if they add two more starters, that would be considered an abundance.

Signing Oswalt could give Jon Daniels more options than he currently has in a weakening free agent market. The Rangers are still in need of outfield depth as well as a left-handed reliever and moving one of their starters could help fill some of those holes.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a story by Richard Durrett where josh talks about just how serious his injury in the post season was. I'm in awe that he was even able to play.

His season began and ended with injuries. This is what makes a long term deal with Hamilton a serious crap shoot

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His season began and ended with injuries. This is what makes a long term deal with Hamilton a serious crap shoot

not disagreeing with your assessment, but isn't any deal, short or long-term, with any player really a crap-shoot?

and getting an average of 24.5+ Hr's, 94+ RBI's a season makes it worth it

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not opposed to giving josh a good contract, but it doesn't need to be a 5 yr deal with 100m guaranteed. A 5yr deal is fine, but it needs to include performance incentives for things like games played and plate appearances and buy out options.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not opposed to giving josh a good contract, but it doesn't need to be a 5 yr deal with 100m guaranteed. A 5yr deal is fine, but it needs to include performance incentives for things like games played and plate appearances and buy out options.

exactly

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Norm on the ticket he said his "source" says that Yu Darvish is a done deal and he now just needs to sign the bottom line. Said he thinks the Ranges will unveil Yu at the winter caravan. We will see I guess.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Norm on the ticket he said his "source" says that Yu Darvish is a done deal and he now just needs to sign the bottom line. Said he thinks the Ranges will unveil Yu at the winter caravan. We will see I guess.

that would be a great opener for the Winter Carnival along with a couple of extensions for our core players

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was just announced:

It's a distant memory now. Michael Young was nearly a Colorado Rockie after a well publicized spat with the Texas Rangers front office after Young felt like he was being pushed out of the lineup after yet another position change in recent years, going from second base to shortstop to third base and this past year to a primarily DH role. And despite his disdain with the organization when the season began, Young was immediately the Rangers best player from the get-go in 2011. He posted career-best numbers, hitting .338 with 106 RBIs while hitting in the cleanup spot for much of the season despite his lack of home runs. For his performance, he was named Thursday as the organization's Player of the Year, marking the fifth time in his long career that he's earned the award, matching former Ranger great Juan Gonzalez for the franchise record.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be awesome. Seems like there's a lot hinging on getting him signed, and getting it done would make me breathe easier, but also makes me wonder what they have planned next. I don't think they're done.

If this basically a done deal I wonder if Darvish got reasonable, or if Nolan and company bellied up to the table. I hope they didn't give him something like 80m.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be awesome. Seems like there's a lot hinging on getting him signed, and getting it done would make me breathe easier, but also makes me wonder what they have planned next. I don't think they're done.

If this basically a done deal I wonder if Darvish got reasonable, or if Nolan and company bellied up to the table. I hope they didn't give him something like 80m.

i definitely don't think they're done. they're involved in too many rumors including some involving Prince and Oswalt