• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see if that gets it. I expect Darvish to balk at anything until the deadline.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see if that gets it. I expect Darvish to balk at anything until the deadline.

A lot of baseball people think that Fielder is waiting to see what Darvish gets and I'm sure some Rangers players and agents are waiting also. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out when and if he signs.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of baseball people think that Fielder is waiting to see what Darvish gets and I'm sure some Rangers players and agents are waiting also. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out when and if he signs.

I'm a conservative spender and a believer in home grown talent, but maybe Texas will have our own LAA "splash" day. They announced Pujols and CJ in the same day. Maybe Texas announces Yu, Fielder, extensions for Josh/Ian/Nap, and a trade of Moreland somewhere.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a conservative spender and a believer in home grown talent, but maybe Texas will have our own LAA "splash" day. They announced Pujols and CJ in the same day. Maybe Texas announces Yu, Fielder, extensions for Josh/Ian/Nap, and a trade of Moreland somewhere.

Darvish is this years lee, and fielder is this years Beltre. They won't sign both.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers and left-handed starter Derek Holland have stopped discussing a possible contract extension for the time being, Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports. The Rangers and Holland’s representatives at Martini Sports Management started discussing a long-term deal in December, but aren’t likely to resume negotiations this offseason.

Holland, who missed this year's super two cutoff and is not yet arbitration eligible, will remain under team control through 2015. A five-year deal would buy out one pre-arbitration season, his three years of arbitration eligibility and his first season of free agency.

The 25-year-old posted a 3.95 ERA with 7.4 K/9, 3.0 BB/9 and a 46.4% ground ball rate in 198 innings this past season. He set career highs in everything from ERA to innings to strikeouts (162) to wins above replacement (3.6).

Yovani Gallardo, Ricky Romero, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz and Trevor Cahill are unavoidable points of reference for the Rangers and Holland’s representatives. All five starters signed five-year deals in the $30MM range at similar stages in their respective careers. Holland has more career innings than any of those pitchers did at the time of their extensions, but none of them had a career ERA above 3.94 at the time of their deals, while Holland has a career mark of 4.73. Options are often a point of contention in extension talks, so it's worth noting that the deals for Cahill and Buchholz include two club options, while the other deals include just one.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish is this years lee, and fielder is this years Beltre. They won't sign both.

Never say never.

And should probably get its own post, but if we are still looking for a good utility IF, Omar Viazquel is sitting out there waiting on a contract offer or he will retire. Offense is lacking in a 44 year old, but he played all 4 IF positions for CHW last year and put up great defensive numbers when called upon.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a conservative spender, too. That's why what I'm reading about the Darvish signing concerns me. Two things in the Newberg Report..the report that Darvish is seeking 20 million a year for 5 or 6 years and contract talks with Derek Holland have been put on hold.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a conservative spender, too. That's why what I'm reading about the Darvish signing concerns me. Two things in the Newberg Report..the report that Darvish is seeking 20 million a year for 5 or 6 years and contract talks with Derek Holland have been put on hold.

i would be shocked if darvish got 20 mil from the rangers,if thats the case he will go back to japan and we will turn around and sign fielder.while also locking up some of our guys and probably kuroda if still available

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would be shocked if darvish got 20 mil from the rangers,if thats the case he will go back to japan and we will turn around and sign fielder.while also locking up some of our guys and probably kuroda if still available

I expected him to ask for that at first, but if he wants to sign it will have to more reasonable than that. I bet he gets more reasonable as the 18th nears.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have Fielder in ther first place. Not a fan of the Japanese bid system.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expected him to ask for that at first, but if he wants to sign it will have to more reasonable than that. I bet he gets more reasonable as the 18th nears.

You know the guy is ready to pitch in the Majors, and I don't think he would have made that trip here if he was just putting on a show. He'll get good money, but I would be shocked if he gets $20 mil per.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the guy is ready to pitch in the Majors, and I don't think he would have made that trip here if he was just putting on a show. He'll get good money, but I would be shocked if he gets $20 mil per.

I think the guy is ready, but don't know it. The system is enough different to screw with a guys head. Different ball size, throwing every 5 days instead of 7, and other stuff can mess with you when location is the name of the game. Any slight change could be a problem. I think he will be good to go, but I wouldn't go as far as to say this will be a seamless transition.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have Fielder in ther first place. Not a fan of the Japanese bid system.

I've thought the same thing unless of course Darvish turns out to really be a #1 then I would rather have the pitching. However, no one knows and that is why hindsight is always 20/20.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note, I believe I would have liked to have had Oliver back, but at 4.5 million? In my opinion Toronto overpaid for him. Hope they enjoy seeing their 4.5 million dollar investment let inherited runners score.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've thought the same thing unless of course Darvish turns out to really be a #1 then I would rather have the pitching. However, no one knows and that is why hindsight is always 20/20.

If they sign him and he wins a Cy Young award then I'm his :first: fan. :yo:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the guy is ready, but don't know it. The system is enough different to screw with a guys head. Different ball size, throwing every 5 days instead of 7, and other stuff can mess with you when location is the name of the game. Any slight change could be a problem. I think he will be good to go, but I wouldn't go as far as to say this will be a seamless transition.

Let's break this down a little ...

Q: Who will be really happy if Darvish signs with TEX? A: Ham Fighters

Q: Who else can Darvish sign with for 2012 (his 26yo season)? A: Nobody

Q: If he doesn't sign and HF reposts him for 2013 who has a higher budget in 2013 and a higher need than they did in 2012 to match the bid the HF got from TEX? A: Nobody ... well hardly anybody. And he will be 27yo.

Q: Who really wants Darvish to sign with TEX more than anyone? A: Ham Fighters (know that's basically the same question twice but HF do not want to lose $51.7mil)

So I think TEX has the leverage on Darvish and will sign him to a program that includes some nice bundled performance incentives. HF will help him pack.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Q: If he doesn't sign and HF reposts him for 2013 who has a higher budget in 2013 and a higher need than they did in 2012 to match the bid the HF got from TEX? A: Nobody ... well hardly anybody. And he will be 27yo.

Q: Who really wants Darvish to sign with TEX more than anyone? A: Ham Fighters (know that's basically the same question twice but HF do not want to lose $51.7mil)

So I think TEX has the leverage on Darvish and will sign him to a program that includes some nice bundled performance incentives. HF will help him pack.

You pretty much put my exact thoughts in words. He'll balk until the deadline to get as much money as possible. They know he'll probably command more than dice-k money, but it's a good starting point. As the deadline gets close he'll change his tune. My guess is he signs a 5yr contract with a base salary of approximately 55-60 million with a potential 15 million or so in performance incentives.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you sure about #3? I thought if he doesn't sign with us, then next year he is a FA and able to sign with anyone without a posting fee?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pretty much put my exact thoughts in words. He'll balk until the deadline to get as much money as possible. They know he'll probably command more than dice-k money, but it's a good starting point. As the deadline gets close he'll change his tune. My guess is he signs a 5yr contract with a base salary of approximately 55-60 million with a potential 15 million or so in performance incentives.

I'm thinking something like 5/$70 with at least one club option year and maybe a buyout after 3.