• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers would like to lock Mike Napoli, Josh Hamilton, Mike Adams and Colby Lewis to extensions if possible, according to Heyman. Ian Kinsler and Derek Holland are among the Rangers’ other extension candidates.

Is there a logical order to signing these guys. Who, if anyone, has priority?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is looking into Ryan Madson as they are still looking to fortify their bullpen. I was thinking Texas might be in the weeds for Madson.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't mind making a move for someone like Jorge Soler. Stash him in the minors for a couple years and let Cruz walk in FA, probably will command a contract similar to Martin's and has a diffefrent skill set

No interest in Cespedes though, guys already 26 and wants really big money

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was where I read it (forget where it was)

Its an issue of preparing him to play 1B for us down the line b/c he is blocked by Beltre for the time being and therefore is a preemptive measure to create a position for him in the event he's ready for the big show at some point

BUT trade wise it makes sense to keep him playing 3B as his offensive skill set combined with his defensive skill set is much more attractive at 3B than at 1B

A highly skilled defensive 3B with a hole in his swing is much more valuable, trade wise, than an average defensive 1B (even above average) with a hole in his swing

From the Newberg Report. A quote from Evan Grant:

Grant reported this week that Olt is expected to get an invite to big league camp, where he’ll in fact split time between the infield corners

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Newberg Report. A quote from Evan Grant:

Grant reported this week that Olt is expected to get an invite to big league camp, where he’ll in fact split time between the infield corners

I bet Olt is being primed to step in at first if and when they ever decide to move Moreland, either to the OF or in a trade.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Hicks? And I'm not sure that what your saying about Ryan and Daniels is accurate since we've already seen the Napoli talks go from multi year to one year discussions. Negotiations are a two sided affair and Ryan and Daniels aren't going to hand out blank checks.

didn't say they would hand out blank checks. i said that the Darvish deal isn't going to stop Texas from working on extensions on their core players. and as far as Napoli goes it makes sense to go another year before giving him a multi-year deal, even he and his agent see that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a logical order to signing these guys. Who, if anyone, has priority?

don't know of any order. i assume that Napoli is probably number 1 because of his projected arbitration hit of 8.2M and them wanting a slightly lower number.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didn't say they would hand out blank checks. i said that the Darvish deal isn't going to stop Texas from working on extensions on their core players. and as far as Napoli goes it makes sense to go another year before giving him a multi-year deal, even he and his agent see that.

You're missing the point. Of course the Darvish deal won't stop them from seeking extensions, but we were talking about whether or not it would make those discussions more difficult.
The Napoli discussions started out as the Rangers seeking a multi year extension and wound up as a one year deal because of his agents asking price, not because his agent thought it made more sense.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point. Of course the Darvish deal won't stop them from seeking extensions, but we were talking about whether or not it would make those discussions more difficult.
The Napoli discussions started out as the Rangers seeking a multi year extension and wound up as a one year deal because of his agents asking price, not because his agent thought it made more sense.

from Jamey: Texas and Mike Napoli have reportedly moved off of talks on a long-term deal (the 30-year-old reportedly sought four years) and are now focused on a one-year contract to avoid the catcher’s final year of arbitration, before he too can become a free agent next winter. That doesn’t prevent the two sides from getting a one-year agreement done and then talking right away about replacing it with a multi-year commitment.

i understand what you're saying but like Jamey i think it has more to do with avoiding arbitration than size of the contract demands.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from Jamey: Texas and Mike Napoli have reportedly moved off of talks on a long-term deal (the 30-year-old reportedly sought four years) and are now focused on a one-year contract to avoid the catcher’s final year of arbitration, before he too can become a free agent next winter. That doesn’t prevent the two sides from getting a one-year agreement done and then talking right away about replacing it with a multi-year commitment.

i understand what you're saying but like Jamey i think it has more to do with avoiding arbitration than size of the contract demands.

Agreed. Both sides may recognize that a multi year deal discussion may take some time and are simply prioritizing.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Both sides may recognize that a multi year deal discussion may take some time and are simply prioritizing.

That's it exactly. Get a contract for this year and then you can take time to work on a long term deal

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Sponichi, via the invaluable Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker, the Rangers are expressing free-agent interest in Hiroki Kuroda.

Kuroda has drawn attention from several teams this offseason, including the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Rockies, but he’s not budging from an asking price that is thought to be in the range of $12-$13 million annually. The Rangers might not have that kind of room in their budget, and they already have six viable starters on their 40-man roster in Derek Holland, Colby Lewis, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison, Alexi Ogando, and Yu Darvish — who is expected to sign a contract before the January 18 deadline. So it’s hard to see where Kuroda might fit.

But, hey, crazier things have happened. And the 36-year-old right-hander isn’t just some slouch.

Kuroda registered a 3.07 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 32 starts last year for the Dodgers, striking out 161 batters and issuing only 49 walks in 202 innings. He has a 3.45 career ERA in four major league seasons.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the one year contract. Avoiding abitratiuon has always been the goal, but that was going to get done with a one year or a multi year contract. However, my original point that you commented on was that the amount of the Darvish deal was going to negatively influence these other contract talks and right out of the gate comes Napoli's agent asking for a butt load of money. On top of that Evan Grant reports that the Rangers "have gotten nowhere" in contract talks with Josh Hamilton.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Sponichi, via the invaluable Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker, the Rangers are expressing free-agent interest in Hiroki Kuroda.

Kuroda has drawn attention from several teams this offseason, including the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Rockies, but he’s not budging from an asking price that is thought to be in the range of $12-$13 million annually. The Rangers might not have that kind of room in their budget, and they already have six viable starters on their 40-man roster in Derek Holland, Colby Lewis, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison, Alexi Ogando, and Yu Darvish — who is expected to sign a contract before the January 18 deadline. So it’s hard to see where Kuroda might fit.

But, hey, crazier things have happened. And the 36-year-old right-hander isn’t just some slouch.

Kuroda registered a 3.07 ERA and 1.21 WHIP in 32 starts last year for the Dodgers, striking out 161 batters and issuing only 49 walks in 202 innings. He has a 3.45 career ERA in four major league seasons.

Makes no sense at all, people stirring the pot just to stir the pot

Maybe I should be a journalist so I can just make stuff up and get paid for it

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the one year contract. Avoiding abitratiuon has always been the goal, but that was going to get done with a one year or a multi year contract. However, my original point that you commented on was that the amount of the Darvish deal was going to negatively influence these other contract talks and right out of the gate comes Napoli's agent asking for a butt load of money. On top of that Evan Grant reports that the Rangers "have gotten nowhere" in contract talks with Josh Hamilton.

how is the Darvish deal going to negatively influence them?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

do we know how much they ask for? all i can find is that they originally requested 4 years but as far as i can find there was no monetary value mentioned.

and again, both Ryan and Daniels have stated that the Darvish deal will have no affect on their contract dealings with the Rangers core players. why are you so convinced that it will?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
do we know how much they ask for? all i can find is that they originally requested 4 years but as far as i can find there was no monetary value mentioned.

and again, both Ryan and Daniels have stated that the Darvish deal will have no affect on their contract dealings with the Rangers core players. why are you so convinced that it will?

He's basically saying they'll want more money.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A) If 4 years is not more money than what the Rangers were thinking then it stands to reason that they would still be negotiating a multi year deal.

B) What is being said publicly by Ryan and Daniels is standard PR lip service. What else are they supposed to say?

C) It's human nature to want as much or more than the other guy. Especially, if you've actually been a part of the monumental success the last two years. You think an MVP type player and his agent are going to let a 100 million+ deal to a 25 year old kid who has never thrown a MLB pitch trump their demands?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's basically saying they'll want more money.

Yes, thanks. That's what I meant and should have said instead of the Darvish deal would negatively effect other contract negotiations.

rosslive99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rangers' first offer to Darvish around $52M?

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Rangers have offered Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish a deal similar to what Daisuke Matsuzaka got from the Red Sox.
Dice-K signed a six-year, $52 million contract with Boston in December of 2006. Early reports had Darvish seeking a five-year deal in the range of $75 million, so the two sides are likely a ways apart. They have until January 18 to come to some sort of compromise. Darvish, 25, posted a 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio across 232 innings last year in Nippon Professional Baseball. He was in Texas last week for a couple of days to visit the Dallas area and to meet with Rangers execs.
Source: CBS Sports
Jan 9 - 11:29 AM