• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i trust the FO too but right now, this moment, i'm concerned because our #1 rival just got a lot better, you can deny that if you want, and the FO seems to not be reacting at all and now Evan Grant is reporting that the Rangers probably won't bid on Darvish because it's too much money

Darvish is too much money. We would have to pay 2/3 the entirety of what CJ got upfront just to sit at the table with him.

One of our rivals just got better, but by doing so only moved closer to Texas. That is going to happen, that is what sport is all about...getting better. There are still 3 months for things to happen before ST reporting.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I bet we bid on Darvish. Probably won't be the $40m it takes to get him, but they will bid. I bet it will be something like $25-$30m, because you never know who all will be scared by the starting tag and you might just get lucky.

nexmex505

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What you say about Ogando we said THE EXACT SAME THING about CJ two years ago. Innings pitched, pitch selection, etc. Except CJ sucked in the BP. He was a walk machine, couldn't control the FB, couldn't handle being the closer, and didn't have good secondary stuff.

EXACTLY! The same questions and concerns were raised with Wilson. My argument is that Wilson's 16 games in the regular season are not enough to merit what he is asking. If you're going to fork out that kind of cash, give a little (or a lot) more and get someone who is truly an ace.

shtexas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
and i trust the FO too but right now, this moment, i'm concerned because our #1 rival just got a lot better, you can deny that if you want, and the FO seems to not be reacting at all and now Evan Grant is reporting that the Rangers probably won't bid on Darvish because it's too much money

I think everyone realizes the Angels just got a lot better. But, we've been the overpay route before. I like our way of the past several years - the combination of players coming up through our system, trading for more minor leaguers, and a few choice signings and trades. I trust this more moderate approach because it created the best Rangers team we've seen. Shelling out the kind of money the Angels and Marlins are this week means mortgaging your future. How are they going to keep their own players when free agency nears?

I probably would jump up and down should the Rangers really make a sudden splash with Prince Fielder, but he's going to be scary expensive and what does that mean for Josh, Ian, and others in the near future.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're acting like a scared child. It's one thing to show concern. It's another to run around declaring LA the al west winners and Texas falling back into baseball obscurity before one pitch is even thrown. Let alone before st is here and all big FA's are signed.

again screw you. i'm not acting like a scared child. i'm acting like a concerned fan who has seen our #1 rival pick up the #1 rated position player & the #1 starting pitcher in this free agent period while all my team has done is lose their #1 pitcher. our situation right now does present a very good preview of the oncoming season and if you can't see that then you're blind.

personally my faith in JD and Nolan has taken a minor hit but i believe that they have something up their sleeves and are getting ready to make a blockbuster move within the next few days or weeks. but until they do, i will continue to be CONCERNED.

nexmex505

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Darvish (even Garza) would either be an improvement or a wash with Wilson. Listen, I was a CJ advocate for quite some time. And he did some good stuff. But, he's proven that he is not quite the stud that he thinks that he is. His ego has outgrown his abilities.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone realizes the Angels just got a lot better. But, we've been the overpay route before. I like our way of the past several years - the combination of players coming up through our system, trading for more minor leaguers, and a few choice signings and trades. I trust this more moderate approach because it created the best Rangers team we've seen. Shelling out the kind of money the Angels and Marlins are this week means mortgaging your future. How are they going to keep their own players when free agency nears?

I probably would jump up and down should the Rangers really make a sudden splash with Prince Fielder, but he's going to be scary expensive and what does that mean for Josh, Ian, and others in the near future.

i was looking at the Angels roster and they are going to be dumping a bunch of salary of the next year or 2 including Abreu, Wells and others

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, just checked the Disney board. Looks like the kiddos are out in force on the minor league board.

Of course I was only able to check the board after 2 minutes of this:

youtubepatients.gif

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was looking at the Angels roster and they are going to be dumping a bunch of salary of the next year or 2 including Abreu, Wells and others

Wells in 2 years? Check again. They have his $24M through the 2014 season

Edit: $21M after subsidies

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXACTLY! The same questions and concerns were raised with Wilson. My argument is that Wilson's 16 games in the regular season are not enough to merit what he is asking. If you're going to fork out that kind of cash, give a little (or a lot) more and get someone who is truly an ace.

Okay that works. who is out there to spend the money on? this free agent class had CJ as #1, Buehrle was #2 and Oswalt is #3. according to this board none is worth the money so what's Plan B?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wells in 2 years? Check again. They have his $24M through the 2014 season

Edit: $21M after subsidies

okay my bad, but MLB had a list of contracts coming off the board for the Angels and with their young talent they'll be around more than 2 or 3 years like some seem to believe

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay that works. who is out there to spend the money on? this free agent class had CJ as #1, Buehrle was #2 and Oswalt is #3. according to this board none is worth the money so what's Plan B?

Feliz, Feldman, Perez, Oswalt, Darvish, any number of trades...

nexmex505

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Feliz, Feldman, Perez, Oswalt, Darvish, any number of trades...

I would be down with running Feldman at his current contract over Wilson at his new one. Feliz as well. I don't know about Perez, but Oswalt and Davish may be worth the risk.

Bottom line, we did Wilson. Seemed pretty in the regular season. Showed himself to be a dog in the postseason. Twice! Not an ace.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I bet we bid on Darvish. Probably won't be the $40m it takes to get him, but they will bid. I bet it will be something like $25-$30m, because you never know who all will be scared by the starting tag and you might just get lucky.

maybe they will, maybe they won't. it seems that most teams are backing off Darvish because of the 100M price tag and the opening bidding is expected to be 40-50M range. Evan Grant reports that the Rangers are not expected to participate

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay my bad, but MLB had a list of contracts coming off the board for the Angels and with their young talent they'll be around more than 2 or 3 years like some seem to believe

Yeah, they drop a lot but will have to fill it with someone. They have some good young talent, but that is going to cost money as well. Both Texas and LAA are going to have to spend money. I just chose not to get worked up over what will amount to a 42 year old 1B who is already declining at the plate...granted still better than almost every hitter out there...but declining at 32, who will be making $25M and have no trade protection for a decade.

Texas has the better lineup and a decent rotation. Are there teams with better rotations? Sure. Where there teams with better rotations last year? Sure. We did ok last year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe they will, maybe they won't. it seems that most teams are backing off Darvish because of the 100M price tag and the opening bidding is expected to be 40-50M range. Evan Grant reports that the Rangers are not expected to participate

I put this right up with the NFL supplemental draft. At least put something out there, you might get lucky.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again screw you. i'm not acting like a scared child. i'm acting like a concerned fan who has seen our #1 rival pick up the #1 rated position player & the #1 starting pitcher in this free agent period while all my team has done is lose their #1 pitcher. our situation right now does present a very good preview of the oncoming season and if you can't see that then you're blind.

personally my faith in JD and Nolan has taken a minor hit but i believe that they have something up their sleeves and are getting ready to make a blockbuster move within the next few days or weeks. but until they do, i will continue to be CONCERNED.

Again. You still sound like a 10 year old girl.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's being said is that it's December and nobody ever won a pennant in the middle of December. I beg to differ about the FO. They are reacting. They chose not to over pay for a pitcher who was supposed to be fronting the rotation last year, but instead cratered when it mattered most. Come on, Wilson failed in every big stage game he pitched in last year and when he was called in from the BP in the 7th game of the WS he flippin hits a batter. He didn't earn it here and he won't earn it there. And neither will the guy who signed for 250 million. We've seen that act before from a better ballplayer.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're not being a realist. You're being a pessimist. You act like they aren't doing anything, but you don't have a damn clue. This same shit was going on with lee last year and BAM... They get Napoli and Beltre. They always play things close to the vest and no one ever knows what they're doing. Just let em work. They've done a great job so far.

You only see it as pessimism because you don't like the message. This team is not better than the Angels as currently put together.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only see it as pessimism because you don't like the message. This team is not better than the Angels as currently put together.

If you say so. I disagree.