• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when the bullpen struggled the team dipped in the standings. It wasn't until they got the bullpen right that they got back on track. How many times do you have to watch this team bash the ball but not be able to hold a lead before you get it that pitching is what matters. For all the talk about the Angels horrible offense they were in the race until the final week of the season. Why was that? Might have something to do with Weaver, Harren and Santana.

And with a career year by weaver, a near career year from Haren, and Santana doing his own thing (no hitter anyone) they still couldn't overtake the Rangers even with our BP problems. BP is a strength now, the offense is still just as strong, and we will have to face CJ what, 4-5 times maybe next year?

Just not seeing how that is a big deal. They added Pujols, great. Texas was never going to get him so there is NOTHING we can do about that now. We will just walk him every time next year, they have no one that can protect him in that lineup. Hope he is ready to set the single season IBB record.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt matter what they do since the Angels signed Pujols and Wilson. Those signings just mad them the best team in baseball

And PHilly and Boston were the best teams last offseason. Where did it get them? Team game, buddy. and I'll still put Texas' lineup up against ANYONES.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
marlins offered 275 mil.....guess pujols really wanted that no trade clause

He just knew that he would be traded within 3 years if he signed with MIA.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw what walking Pujols did to the Rangers last year.... :Cry:

:yield:

He won't be surrounded by berkman, Holliday, or Craig. Seriously, those lineups aren't even close.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And PHilly and Boston were the best teams last offseason. Where did it get them? Team game, buddy. and I'll still put Texas' lineup up against ANYONES.

batting wise i fully agree but pitching wins games and at this very minute, the Rangers have sunk below the best 6 teams in the AL: Angels, Tigers, Yankees, TB, Oakland & even Boston per most experts

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And with a career year by weaver, a near career year from Haren, and Santana doing his own thing (no hitter anyone) they still couldn't overtake the Rangers even with our BP problems. BP is a strength now, the offense is still just as strong, and we will have to face CJ what, 4-5 times maybe next year?

Just not seeing how that is a big deal. They added Pujols, great. Texas was never going to get him so there is NOTHING we can do about that now. We will just walk him every time next year, they have no one that can protect him in that lineup. Hope he is ready to set the single season IBB record.

I don't give a flip about Pujols. He makes the offense better for Anaheim, but the rotation for the Angels will eat Texas alive in head-to-head and over 162 as things stand unless many things go the Rangers way. This division was a hell of a lot closer than the 10 game difference at the end of the season.

You want to talk about career years, how about Ogando, Harrison and Holland all taking steps forward while CJ improved on a stellar 2010. Colby actually took a step back, but not a big one. So now Ogando needs to develop his secondary pitches in the spring, Harrison needs to continue his growth along with Holland, Colby needs to survive another year (I think which is the most likely) and Feliz needs to make the same leap that CJ made two years ago (never mind that CJ was 28-9 and had 5 season in the majors under his belt when he made the leap compared to 3 for Nefti and making the leap at age 23). Oh, and they all need to stay healthy. Of course Feldman could fill in nicely if one of those 5 falter, but that rotation still isn't nearly as accomplished as Anaheim's.

Again, that's if things stand as they are, but the Rangers FO doesn't look to make many moves. You guys keep saying they are planning something, but what really leads you to believe that?

They typically do what they say. They said they were going to go after Lee heavily, and they did. They signed Beltre as a backup plan, but they never said they were only going after Lee. They traded to support the bullpen as they promised last year. They also said they wouldn't give Lee 6 years guaranteed, and they didn't. They said they wouldn't be willing to go as high for CJ, and they didn't. They said that they weren't planning on going after Fielder or Pujols, and they haven't. Now they say they aren't going to go after Darvish (and I don't really blame them for not wanting to spend $50+ million just to negotiate), and aren't planning a counterblow to the Angels moves. They keep their word. So why would you think they are going to make some big splash to save the day?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
batting wise i fully agree but pitching wins games and at this very minute, the Rangers have sunk below the best 6 teams in the AL: Angels, Tigers, Yankees, TB, Oakland & even Boston per most experts

And those same experts were saying BOS was the AL team to beat. Experts know hardly any more than we do, and they say things that sell papers/clicks/subscriptions.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? After Sabathia the Yankees have no one. Oakland's staff is no better after Gonzalez, and Boston completely fell apart last year. And the angels currently have no bullpen.

You and dmc's new names are jaar1 and jaar2.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And lets quit underselling Wilson will we.

Quit underselling Wilson? What, at all, has he done in the post season? While his regular season numbers are "good", at best, his postseason performance has be HORRID. Not worth the headache or heartache. Have fun in California and enjoy facing MY, Kinsler, Beltre, Hamilton, Cruz, and NAPOLI umpteen times a year.

so, it's regular season performance that gets you to the post-season and we just lost a 200+ inning, 16-game winner and that has to hurt your post-season ambitions. if your plan B is to replace that with a guy who has a dynamite FB (although it doesn't have a lot of movement on it) and a so-so Changeup/slider and has never thrown more than 70 innings in his total career or with a guy who has only thrown 170 innings in the last 2 years. if that is all you plan on doing then you can expect to have a lot of difficulty even making the playoffs.

i pray that JD & Nolan have a better Plan B than that

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a flip about Pujols. He makes the offense better for Anaheim, but the rotation for the Angels will eat Texas alive in head-to-head and over 162 as things stand unless many things go the Rangers way. This division was a hell of a lot closer than the 10 game difference at the end of the season.

You want to talk about career years, how about Ogando, Harrison and Holland all taking steps forward while CJ improved on a stellar 2010. Colby actually took a step back, but not a big one. So now Ogando needs to develop his secondary pitches in the spring, Harrison needs to continue his growth along with Holland, Colby needs to survive another year (I think which is the most likely) and Feliz needs to make the same leap that CJ made two years ago (never mind that CJ was 28-9 and had 5 season in the majors under his belt when he made the leap compared to 3 for Nefti and making the leap at age 23). Oh, and they all need to stay healthy. Of course Feldman could fill in nicely if one of those 5 falter, but that rotation still isn't nearly as accomplished as Anaheim's.

Again, that's if things stand as they are, but the Rangers FO doesn't look to make many moves. You guys keep saying they are planning something, but what really leads you to believe that?

They typically do what they say. They said they were going to go after Lee heavily, and they did. They signed Beltre as a backup plan, but they never said they were only going after Lee. They traded to support the bullpen as they promised last year. They also said they wouldn't give Lee 6 years guaranteed, and they didn't. They said they wouldn't be willing to go as high for CJ, and they didn't. They said that they weren't planning on going after Fielder or Pujols, and they haven't. Now they say they aren't going to go after Darvish (and I don't really blame them for not wanting to spend $50+ million just to negotiate), and aren't planning a counterblow to the Angels moves. They keep their word. So why would you think they are going to make some big splash to save the day?

I didn't say they would make a big splash. I said I trust they know what they are doing. So far they have done exactly as they say...and it has lead to back to back AL pennants. I THINK they have earned the right to not have a bunch of keyboard jockeys like us second guessing them. We can all say we do or don't like the moves and state why, but to be calling out the FO or claiming that the lack of moves has given away the West is asinine.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? After Sabathia the Yankees have no one. Oakland's staff is no better after Gonzalez, and Boston completely fell apart last year. And the angels currently have no bullpen.

You and dmc's new names are jaar1 and jaar2.

Oakland has a great staff. After Gio they still have Cahill, Anderson, and Braden. They can't hit a lick though.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland has a great staff. After Gio they still have Cahill, Anderson, and Braden. They can't hit a lick though.

Texas lit every one of those guys up last year. Again. No better than Texas staff 1-5.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, it's regular season performance that gets you to the post-season and we just lost a 200+ inning, 16-game winner and that has to hurt your post-season ambitions. if your plan B is to replace that with a guy who has a dynamite FB (although it doesn't have a lot of movement on it) and a so-so Changeup/slider and has never thrown more than 70 innings in his total career or with a guy who has only thrown 170 innings in the last 2 years. if that is all you plan on doing then you can expect to have a lot of difficulty even making the playoffs.

What you say about Ogando we said THE EXACT SAME THING about CJ two years ago. Innings pitched, pitch selection, etc. Except CJ sucked in the BP. He was a walk machine, couldn't control the FB, couldn't handle being the closer, and didn't have good secondary stuff.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus. How many times do you wanna have the same conversation. I've already responded to this jaar1.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers won't be bidding on Darvish, tweets Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times, but A's assistant GM David Forst wouldn't rule it out in talking to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News hears the Rangers aren't willing to gamble $100MM on Darvish. The Red Sox will discuss Darvish but feel pretty good about the front end of their rotation already, GM Ben Cherington told reporters.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3