• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now the Marlins are back on top for CJ. Good god. That would make things so much better.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad they're being smart about this. Losing back to back WS makes it tempting to go out and overpay guys you don't need. Luckily, cooler heads prevail. Sometimes less is more. Addition by subtraction, I say.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just sucks. This on top of the Mavs losing their f*****g minds is just crap. Man the Cowboys need to win this weekend.

Calm down. There's plenty of time to make something happen and improve the team.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know. Just a gut punch. If CJ goes to Miami or Anaheim goes to 6 years then I'm fine with it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw some coverage on yu Darvish on MLB network. His mechanics are great. Go get him Nolan.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad they're being smart about this. Losing back to back WS makes it tempting to go out and overpay guys you don't need. Luckily, cooler heads prevail. Sometimes less is more. Addition by subtraction, I say.

and that's what kept us out of the playoffs for years settling for something less. you seem to be convinced that not doing anything is better than doing something. you have to continually work and tweak your team to be competitive or accept the fact that while you sit back and do nothing your opponents (LAA, New York, Boston, etc) are not content and are working on improving.

are you satisfied with having making it to the WS twice in a row and then taking a couple of giant steps backwards? I AM NOT

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that's what kept us out of the playoffs for years settling for something less. you seem to be convinced that not doing anything is better than doing something. you have to continually work and tweak your team to be competitive or accept the fact that while you sit back and do nothing your opponents (LAA, New York, Boston, etc) are not content and are working on improving.

are you satisfied with having making it to the WS twice in a row and then taking a couple of giant steps backwards? I AM NOT

That's true if there is something out there that improves the team that is worth the money. There is no way CJ is worth what he is asking to the rangers. I don't think they're settling for less when there's something drastically better, because I don't believe there is something drastically better out there. There's no shields, halladay, lee's, or kershaws out there this time. Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. Darvish is still going to be posted and the rangers are expected to be heavy players in that. They may also make a Napoli like trade when it's all said and done.

Signing Nathan as closer and moving Feliz to the rotation counts as a tweak don't you think? That won't be the last move they make.

dmc0015

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'm with you. They'll do something, but CJ to Anaheim would be a killer.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. They'll do something, but CJ to Anaheim would be a killer.

it would be a killer. LAA automatically becomes the odds on favorite to win the AL West next season. to me, it is a 10-15 game swing in the standings the Angels looking at 92-95 wins and the Rangers looking at 82-85 wins and probably out of the playoffs.

it looks like this in the AL(if CJ goes to LA):

AL East - Yankees
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Angels
AL WC#1 - Boston
AL WC#2 - Tampa

Texas on the outside looking up

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be a killer. LAA automatically becomes the odds on favorite to win the AL West next season. to me, it is a 10-15 game swing in the standings the Angels looking at 92-95 wins and the Rangers looking at 82-85 wins and probably out of the playoffs.

it looks like this in the AL(if CJ goes to LA):

AL East - Yankees
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Angels
AL WC#1 - Boston
AL WC#2 - Tampa

Texas on the outside looking up

Jesus scots, when did you turn into jaar? :L

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true if there is something out there that improves the team that is worth the money. There is no way CJ is worth what he is asking to the rangers. I don't think they're settling for less when there's something drastically better, because I don't believe there is something drastically better out there. There's no shields, halladay, lee's, or kershaws out there this time. Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. Darvish is still going to be posted and the rangers are expected to be heavy players in that. They may also make a Napoli like trade when it's all said and done.

Signing Nathan as closer and moving Feliz to the rotation counts as a tweak don't you think? That won't be the last move they make.

i'm not sure what the move of Feliz to the rotation is. until he PROVES that he can make the move he is a major question mark and constitutes a hole in the rotation. personally i hope he goes out there and dominates but i'm not convince he will.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No kidding scotsman. Is the sky falling as well? Do you really believe the rangers fall to sub 90 team by not signing CJ? Damn chill son.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure what the move of Feliz to the rotation is. until he PROVES that he can make the move he is a major question mark and constitutes a hole in the rotation. personally i hope he goes out there and dominates but i'm not convince he will.

No, but it does show they are looking to "tweak" the team as you say. The winter meetings are not the only place to make something happen.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not sure about that at all. Could be that next season any one of the other 6 rotation candidates outperform CJ. Every single one of them are quite capable including Feldman.

Agree. Holland equalled the same # of wins as CJ ... and Ogando with the fewest wins of the five ... logged only three fewer. So it's not like CJ is a Denny McClain or even a Justin Verlander. CJ has had two good season as an SP after a number of so so years as a setup or on again/off again closer.

Holland for sure ... and Harrison and even Ogando have potential ceilings that equal or surpass CJ ... oh and Feldman won 17 games in 2009 ... so he's already surpassed CJ on a team without the offensive or defensive talents of the past two seasons.

So ... CJ would be a good return ... but its not like its the end of the world if he doesn't.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

so i don't see everything thru rose-colored glasses so i get insulted. you are totally convinced that everything is going to be okay and hope that we don't do anything while i'm not. Feliz, as a starter, is a MAJOR QUESTION MARK, and i've seen nothing that proves any different view. i hope and pray that he comes in and pulls an Ogando but i refuse to look at it with blind faith like you. the fact is that we're letting a 16-game winner walk and replacing him with someone who has never started a ML game has to be looked at with concern not "oh well, less is better"

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is we have 4 guys in the rotation that are younger than CJ that are already close to being as good as him with more upside. I think Holland already surpassed him in the 2nd half last year and in the playoffs. Harrison had a year almost identical to CJ's in 2010. Ogando made the AS team, and we have a ROTY in Feliz who was a top 5 prospect and has ace potential. Colby is Colby. If he's your #5, you're doing pretty good. Re-signing CJ not only takes a spot away from one of these guys and eventually one of the prospects, but it takes away money that could be used to re-sign the guys that got us to the WS in the first place. Our starting 5 won 73 games this year. Our new starting 5 has to average 14 wins each to hit that mark. I'm pretty damn confident that not only can they match that, they can exceed it. On an unrelated note, CJ is just a highly unlikable douche anyway and I doubt he's going to be very good 4 years from now.

As far as Fielder, I don't think we really need him at all. We already have a top 5 offense in the bigs. Also I think Moreland at the very least develops into a .280 25 80 kind of guy. I think the only real need we have is an every day CF'er and I think that's why we go after Cespedes. If we go into next season with the only moves being signing Cespedes, Nathan, acquiring another bullpen arm and moving Feliz, I think it's a pretty solid offseason.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so i don't see everything thru rose-colored glasses so i get insulted. you are totally convinced that everything is going to be okay and hope that we don't do anything while i'm not. Feliz, as a starter, is a MAJOR QUESTION MARK, and i've seen nothing that proves any different view. i hope and pray that he comes in and pulls an Ogando but i refuse to look at it with blind faith like you. the fact is that we're letting a 16-game winner walk and replacing him with someone who has never started a ML game has to be looked at with concern not "oh well, less is better"

Dude seriously? No one including guitarmy said they hope Texas doesnt do anything. And they have a 17 win pitcher waiting to make the rotation and an opportunity to bid on Darvish. Dear lord son take a chill pill.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding scotsman. Is the sky falling as well? Do you really believe the rangers fall to sub 90 team by not signing CJ? Damn chill son.

yes i do. we lose a 16-game winner and replace him with a pitcher who has never started a ML game. if we assume that the other 4 pitchers equal or slightly surpass their 2011 wins we are looking at 57-60 wins that leaves the 5th starter & relievers needing to win 30-33 games just to get to 90 wins

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes i do. we lose a 16-game winner and replace him with a pitcher who has never started a ML game. if we assume that the other 4 pitchers equal or slightly surpass their 2011 wins we are looking at 57-60 wins that leaves the 5th starter & relievers needing to win 30-33 games just to get to 90 wins

See my above post. And why do you keep ignoring 17 game winner Scott Feldman? It's no guarantee but it's a pretty good place to start. I see them falling no lower than 90 wins.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude seriously? No one including guitarmy said they hope Texas doesnt do anything. And they have a 17 win pitcher waiting to make the rotation and an opportunity to bid on Darvish. Dear lord son take a chill pill.

okay so i'm concerned. i've been with this team since their 1st game after moving from Washington and have endured all the misery and now we finally have a competitive team that's been to the WS twice in a row and i want it to continue. so shoot me for voicing my concerns.