• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe Texas looked at Erlin and thought he would have issues at the BPiA.

Now a member of the San Diego Padres organization, Robbie Erlin takes his 123/12 strikeout-to-walk ratio and heads west to potentially the most pitcher friendly park in the big leagues. Erlin's only weakness, a propensity for fly balls, would have been a difficult fit in Texas. Now, Erlin will spend half his starts attacking opposing hitters without fear of the long ball a 40% ground ball rate would normally cause.

and maybe they thought the same about Wieland:

A 6-3, 175 pound 21-year-old right-hander, Wieland works comfortably at 89-92 MPH and has been clocked as high as 94 MPH this year. He already has a very good, plus curveball, and his changeup has above-average moments. His command and control are exceptional, and his statistical performance this year is outstanding: a combined 1.80 ERA with a 132/15 K/BB in 130 innings, with 113 hits allowed. He tends to be a fly ball type, but would fit well in the San Diego environment.

Fergie Jenkins had a HR problem the year he won 25 games which says it's hard to score when runners aren't on base and judging by the ERA's there weren't many of those with either of these guys. Scary to think what kind of problems they see for a guy like Perez who has had trouble throwing strikes and winning games for the last two years.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Perez might not jump the rails like Kasey Kiker did ... but you worry when guys get promoted ... have problems that talking heads and bloggers choose to ignore ... and still choose to pencil them into next year's rotation.

I am liking more Ramirez's advancement potential before Perez at this point. Let's see how they do in comparison in ST. Neither will make the big roster ... but Perez needs to find his command.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For some reason....this made me chuckle....

So based on that logic...was trading Smoak, Beavan & others for Cliff Lee & Lowe a loss? Eventhough it allowed the Rangers to advance to the World Series for the first time in franchise history?

Only way Lee + Lowe + $ to TEX for Smoak + Bevans+ Lueke + Lawson comes out in SEA favor is if Bevan takes the CY 3 years in a row winning the penant clincher over TEX each year.

Moving Smoak for something of value was the second biggest highlight of 2010 for me.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perez might not jump the rails like Kasey Kiker did ... but you worry when guys get promoted ... have problems that talking heads and bloggers choose to ignore ... and still choose to pencil them into next year's rotation.

I am liking more Ramirez's advancement potential before Perez at this point. Let's see how they do in comparison in ST. Neither will make the big roster ... but Perez needs to find his command.

Hard to say about Perez since he's so young. I think it's a mistake to buy into the hype sometimes. Davis and Smoak come to mind. On the other hand, Rameriz's jump from A to AAA last year was pretty dang impressive.
It will be fun to follow him this year. Hope he can follow up.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Perez adjusted to AA just fine after a half season of struggles the year before, hardly jumping off the rails, considering he was one of the youngest players in AA much less AAA at his promotion

I predict a rebound season at AAA, with a couple spot, and rough, starts at the ML level in September

Rotation candidate for 2013

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Ryan Braun beats the system on a technicality? It's not that he wasn't doing PED's or that there was an error in the testing, it's just that the sample was mailed in on the wrong day. Score one for the lawyers.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Ryan Braun beats the system on a technicality? It's not that he wasn't doing PED's or that there was an error in the testing, it's just that the sample was mailed in on the wrong day. Score one for the lawyers.

How do we know that the guy that had the sample at his house didn't mess with them over the weekend? How do we know they didn't become tainted in his house over the weekend?

The rules are there for a reason. If they are ignored, then the whole thing falls apart. How is it that someone doesn't know when FedEx closes, can't pick up a phone or visit their website?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just heard Josh said he doesn't feel he owes the Rangers anything and won't be giving them a hometown discount.

Sounds like deadline trade material to me!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't care about hometown discounts, just a way for the Rangers to hold him accountable for his ability to stay on the field in the form of playing time incentives

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just heard Josh said he doesn't feel he owes the Rangers anything and won't be giving them a hometown discount.

Sounds like deadline trade material to me!

Josh Hamilton talks contract, recovery

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton said on Friday that he isn't worried about his contract situation, but also said that he doesn't owe the Rangers any sort of discount based on the support they have given him throughout his daily battle with addictions to drugs and alcohol.

"The Rangers have done a lot for me, but I've got a question for ya'll: Have I done a lot for the Rangers?" Hamilton said. "I think I've given them everything I've had, and I don't think anybody can say I haven't. When it comes down to it, what people don't understand, is this is a business.

"I love Texas, I love my fans, I love the fans of the Rangers, I love the organization, I love my teammates, I love everything about it. But I'm not going to sit here and say I owe the Rangers, because I don't feel like I owe the Rangers."

Hamilton can be a free agent after this season. He said that he doubts that an extension will be discussed during the season, but he also conceded that he is letting agent Mike Moye handle all discussions.

The Rangers and Moye tabled talks after Hamilton suffered a relapse with alcohol Jan. 30. It was his second public relapse.

Hamilton spoke to the media for more than 30 minutes Friday morning, quoting five Bible verses to help convey what he's going through in his recovery. He said his faith is as strong as it has ever been after learning in counseling that he needs to be more open with his wife and family. He made similar comments last week during an appearance on Glenn Beck's webcast GBTV.

Hamilton says that he has built a strong relationship with Shayne Kelley, his new accountability partner, and also hopes that his teammates can help him stay accountable. Hamilton expects to speak with his teammates at some point this spring about his latest relapse and where he is in his recovery, but doesn't feel like he has to regain their trust.

-- Jeff Wilson

Read more here: Foul Territory: Josh Hamilton talks contract, recovery

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we know that the guy that had the sample at his house didn't mess with them over the weekend? How do we know they didn't become tainted in his house over the weekend?

The rules are there for a reason. If they are ignored, then the whole thing falls apart. How is it that someone doesn't know when FedEx closes, can't pick up a phone or visit their website?

Hadn't thought about all of that. I didn't consider a monkey flying out of his butt either, but hey, I guess it's possible.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Hamilton talks contract, recovery

Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton said on Friday that he isn't worried about his contract situation, but also said that he doesn't owe the Rangers any sort of discount based on the support they have given him throughout his daily battle with addictions to drugs and alcohol.

"The Rangers have done a lot for me, but I've got a question for ya'll: Have I done a lot for the Rangers?" Hamilton said. "I think I've given them everything I've had, and I don't think anybody can say I haven't. When it comes down to it, what people don't understand, is this is a business.

"I love Texas, I love my fans, I love the fans of the Rangers, I love the organization, I love my teammates, I love everything about it. But I'm not going to sit here and say I owe the Rangers, because I don't feel like I owe the Rangers."

Hamilton can be a free agent after this season. He said that he doubts that an extension will be discussed during the season, but he also conceded that he is letting agent Mike Moye handle all discussions.

The Rangers and Moye tabled talks after Hamilton suffered a relapse with alcohol Jan. 30. It was his second public relapse.

Hamilton spoke to the media for more than 30 minutes Friday morning, quoting five Bible verses to help convey what he's going through in his recovery. He said his faith is as strong as it has ever been after learning in counseling that he needs to be more open with his wife and family. He made similar comments last week during an appearance on Glenn Beck's webcast GBTV.

Hamilton says that he has built a strong relationship with Shayne Kelley, his new accountability partner, and also hopes that his teammates can help him stay accountable. Hamilton expects to speak with his teammates at some point this spring about his latest relapse and where he is in his recovery, but doesn't feel like he has to regain their trust.

-- Jeff Wilson

Read more here: Foul Territory: Josh Hamilton talks contract, recovery

Say what? He hopes his teammates can help him stay accountable?? Do they owe you something? This is just a truck load of BS from a guy who is down to his last strike with this organization. He also knows it's time to move on to where the money is and a fresh new three new strikes. Nothing personal, but don't let that door knob hit you....

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long Josh. You ungrateful little shit.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For a second ... let's pretend Hamilton is just a random above replacement value guy coming into his FA year.

Team decision to offer random guy a new deal would be based solely on his potential for future continued performance above replacement value.

Would it make sense for random guy to tell the media before his FA season that he "owes something" to his employer in advance of contract negotions?

I don't think so. This is business ... whether you are Josh Hamilton or were Frank Catalanotto ... you don't open your mouth and tell the media ... "Oh yea I owe my employer and am going to give him a deal".

If you are paid for your performance ... and if during your tenure on the roster the team has gone to the WS twice ... and one year I was the AL MVP ... I'm thinking that whatever TEX was paying Hamilton was covered by his contributions. So ... he doesn't owe TEX anything ... in the contractual perspective.

Not sure what we expect of him otherwise in advance of contract discussions.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a second ... let's pretend Hamilton is just a random above replacement value guy coming into his FA year.

Team decision to offer random guy a new deal would be based solely on his potential for future continued performance above replacement value.

Would it make sense for random guy to tell the media before his FA season that he "owes something" to his employer in advance of contract negotions?

I don't think so. This is business ... whether you are Josh Hamilton or were Frank Catalanotto ... you don't open your mouth and tell the media ... "Oh yea I owe my employer and am going to give him a deal".

If you are paid for your performance ... and if during your tenure on the roster the team has gone to the WS twice ... and one year I was the AL MVP ... I'm thinking that whatever TEX was paying Hamilton was covered by his contributions. So ... he doesn't owe TEX anything ... in the contractual perspective.

Not sure what we expect of him otherwise in advance of contract discussions.

"He said that he doubts that an extension will be discussed during the season, but he also conceded that he is letting agent Mike Moye handle all discussions".
Maybe he should have left it at that.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"He said that he doubts that an extension will be discussed during the season, but he also conceded that he is letting agent Mike Moye handle all discussions".
Maybe he should have left it at that.

Am sure you are right ... but the press has always gotten Hamilton to open up.

Their job is to sell newpapers and page views ...

"He said that he doubts that an extension will be discussed during the season, but he also conceded that he is letting agent Mike Moye handle all discussions."

... does not sell many of either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Josh. He doesn't owe the FO anything. This whole notion that he should play for cheap just because is ridiculous.