• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to pour a little more gasoline on the fire but what do you guys expect to happen to Hamilton once his playing days are over? He isn't going to be performing at an all-star or MVP level forever and like every ballplayer that has come before him the team he works for will support him every step of the way until he no longer is useful. Personally, I think he just might end up like Ken Caminiti if he isn't careful. As stated previously, this dude needs to learn moderation and quickly or else he is going to wind up dead.

Agree. No doubt his family is far more concerned for his long term well being and cares not a lick about the views of the TEX fan base. Unfortunately, a Ken Caminiti future is not much of a stretch for what Hamilton faces.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at the numbers, Michael Kirkman is pretty lights out vs LHBs, but terrible vs RHBs, might be worth a look, push come to shove as a LOOGY

No doubt Kirkman will be in the mix for the spot TEX will look at 4-6 guys to fill the two LH RP spots ... one other of whom may turn out to be RHP Uehara.

The fact that TEX has not signed Mike Gonzales tells me that TEX is not convinced that he's healthy enough and able enough to handle RH hitters to take over the DO role.

Solution may not come until the end of camp via trade.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Kirkman will be in the mix for the spot TEX will look at 4-6 guys to fill the two LH RP spots ... one other of whom may turn out to be RHP Uehara.

The fact that TEX has not signed Mike Gonzales tells me that TEX is not convinced that he's healthy enough and able enough to handle RH hitters to take over the DO role.

Solution may not come until the end of camp via trade.

Some people believe Koji ran out of gas last year. My theory is that the transition from low expectation pitching in Baltimore to higher expectation play off baseball in Texas may have been a shock to him and a bit more than he was ready to deal with.
If Texas can't get what they want for him then maybe they should keep him and give him the opportunity to start the season on the ground floor. Let him ease into the season.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people believe Koji ran out of gas last year. My theory is that the transition from low expectation pitching in Baltimore to higher expectation play off baseball in Texas may have been a shock to him and a bit more than he was ready to deal with.
If Texas can't get what they want for him then maybe they should keep him and give him the opportunity to start the season on the ground floor. Let him ease into the season.

I just have a feeling Baltimore knew what they were doing when the put the performance incentive in his contract that vested for this year.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a feeling Baltimore knew what they were doing when the put the performance incentive in his contract that vested for this year.

I didn't know about that. You're probably right. I was looking at his stats and this guy was rock solid in Baltimore. I think he had a couple of 65+ inning seasons and was at 45 innings or so when he was traded. Then almost from the get go with the Rangers he was in hot water.
I think giving him veto power on trades chaps me more than the incentive clauses.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know about that. You're probably right. I was looking at his stats and this guy was rock solid in Baltimore. I think he had a couple of 65+ inning seasons and was at 45 innings or so when he was traded. Then almost from the get go with the Rangers he was in hot water.
I think giving him veto power on trades chaps me more than the incentive clauses.

It could have been a combination of fatigue, and just not adjusting to the trade well. None of us really have any idea how tough that is on someone, and especially for someone like Koji who is suddenly even further outside his comfort zone than normal. I just don't see him duplicating that miserable showing once he comes in from day one.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could have been a combination of fatigue, and just not adjusting to the trade well. None of us really have any idea how tough that is on someone, and especially for someone like Koji who is suddenly even further outside his comfort zone than normal. I just don't see him duplicating that miserable showing once he comes in from day one.

i think you may have hit the right answer with what you said.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again that was part of his contract signed with Baltimore. we have no choice in the matter

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe so. However, a 35 year old with an 87 mph is sort of an iffy proposition. Time will tell.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. However, a 35 year old with an 87 mph is sort of an iffy proposition. Time will tell.

maybe so but he only gave up 38 hits in 65 innings while striking out 85 last year. granted 13 of those hits were in the 18 innings he pitched for the Rangers but if they hold on to him i think we can get the kind of numbers from him that Baltimore got in their 45 innings because with Ogando, Adams & Nathan covering the 8th & 9th he shouldn't see more than 55 innings next season

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
maybe so but he only gave up 38 hits in 65 innings while striking out 85 last year. granted 13 of those hits were in the 18 innings he pitched for the Rangers but if they hold on to him i think we can get the kind of numbers from him that Baltimore got in their 45 innings because with Ogando, Adams & Nathan covering the 8th & 9th he shouldn't see more than 55 innings next season

Scotty... agree w/you 100%. He was deep in his third season @ BAL ... emotionally invested in the only U.S. team he knew ... digging hard to get vested for 2012 when POOF! his whole world changed. Overnight he was no longer having to carry the whole load ... and was now relegated to a lessor role ... and that has to change your confidence in yourself.

I think you are right ... in a party with Ogando, Adams, and Nathan ... Koji is going to be the surgeon. Will be fun to watch. Went back and looked this one up ... 15 Aug @LAA ... entered with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th and pitched 1.2 shutout/no hit innings ... 14 strikes in 17 pitches. Struck out Callaspo to end the 7th ... stuck out Hunter for the 2nd out in the 8th ... and got Vernon Wells to pop up to Mitch Moreland for the third out. Went crazy in the dugout after both innings ... he was stoked.

Yea ... will be fun to watch. He is an emotional guy and will be 37 a week after the season starts. This is the season he has played all his life to be a key part of. You think he'd rather it be in OAK? ... or TEX?

Heck! I'd do it for TEX for no money if I were him! This is what it is all about.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers, Elvis Andrus Agree To Extension

The Rangers and shortstop Elvis Andrus have agreed to a three-year extension, Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports report on Twitter. The deal is expected to be worth $14-15MM and won't include any options. The Boras Corporation represents Andrus, who was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason and had a hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Andrus had filed for $3.6MM in arbitration, while the Rangers had countered with a $2.65MM submission, as MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker shows. The 23-year-old Venezuela native is under team control through 2014, so the deal buys out all of his arbitration seasons and no free agent years.

Andrus owns a .271/.340/.343 line with 102 stolen bases (135 attempts) as a Major Leaguer. He has appeared in at least 145 regular games in each of the past three seasons and contributed in the postseason in 2010 and 2011. Andrus is an above-average defender at short, according to UZR.

I think that's a pretty fair offer/contract....

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers, Elvis Andrus Agree To Extension

The Rangers and shortstop Elvis Andrus have agreed to a three-year extension, Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports report on Twitter. The deal is expected to be worth $14-15MM and won't include any options. The Boras Corporation represents Andrus, who was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason and had a hearing scheduled for Thursday.

Andrus had filed for $3.6MM in arbitration, while the Rangers had countered with a $2.65MM submission, as MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker shows. The 23-year-old Venezuela native is under team control through 2014, so the deal buys out all of his arbitration seasons and no free agent years.

Andrus owns a .271/.340/.343 line with 102 stolen bases (135 attempts) as a Major Leaguer. He has appeared in at least 145 regular games in each of the past three seasons and contributed in the postseason in 2010 and 2011. Andrus is an above-average defender at short, according to UZR.

I think that's a pretty fair offer/contract....

Outstanding. Profar is at least three years away and this takes care of one piece of the puzzle until Profar is ready to come up. Then we can tell Boras to take a hike if he's his usual asshole self when Andrus hits FA. I would like to see a Napoli and Kinsler extension if at all possible before ST as well. Throw Holland into that mix too.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From a previous post. For the reading impaired.