• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

latest offseason news

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did not see that

understandable. The Arb system is confusing as hell. I have to cheat and use Cots contracts to tell if a guy has arb years left.

So McCutcheon will go up, but only if he plays well. Cheap, young, talented, and under team control for a while. He would be perfect to play here for a year or year and a half, get his numbers up in a hitters park, and then trade him off when martin comes up.

The price to get him would have to be palatable though. Koji is gone, we know that. I get the feeling the FO has soured on Harrison for some reason, and Borbon is a young replacement body that I don't think has a future here. All three of those for McCutcheon would be ok by me, because we will recover our costs when we re-trade him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
understandable. The Arb system is confusing as hell. I have to cheat and use Cots contracts to tell if a guy has arb years left.

So McCutcheon will go up, but only if he plays well. Cheap, young, talented, and under team control for a while. He would be perfect to play here for a year or year and a half, get his numbers up in a hitters park, and then trade him off when martin comes up.

The price to get him would have to be palatable though. Koji is gone, we know that. I get the feeling the FO has soured on Harrison for some reason, and Borbon is a young replacement body that I don't think has a future here. All three of those for McCutcheon would be ok by me, because we will recover our costs when we re-trade him.

wonder why they soured on Matt? both Koji and Borbon are expendable now so trading them makes sense

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wonder why they soured on Matt? both Koji and Borbon are expendable now so trading them makes sense

They may not have, just the feeling I get and have heard others say the same. They are trying to find someone to move him to the pen, badly. Why else would they be looking at Oswalt? Matt is the one that would get moved back to the pen. There have been a couple of other comments that I can't think of right now that have led me to this way of thinking.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the Lone Star Ball & the Ben & Skin show:

Daniels said on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM's "The Ben and Skin Show" on Friday that the club has "more than a set rotation," but that in the past the team has liked to take chances on players coming off injury or ones that could provide good value. He noted that those signings don't always work out, mentioning Brandon Webb, who received $3 million in guaranteed money in 2011 and never did pitch for the Rangers.

"But when you look at Roy and his track record with some guys in the organization having played with and for them in Houston, it's intriguing," Daniels said. "It doesn’t fit perfectly for us and you can look at each one in the rotation and you can go through each one and why they deserve and should be and we want them to be in the rotation."

Daniels said you can't predict when injuries might occur, as evidenced by Tommy Hunter's groin injury prior to the end of spring training in 2011. That forced Alexi Ogando into the rotation.

"If that were to happen, you’d love to have extra depth," Daniels said. "The flip side we’ve got to consider is what if that doesn’t happen? How does it all fit together? We've spent a lot of time and resources developing this younger group where they are ready to maybe take that next step and do we owe it to them? Those are things we’re walking through right now."

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may not have, just the feeling I get and have heard others say the same. They are trying to find someone to move him to the pen, badly. Why else would they be looking at Oswalt? Matt is the one that would get moved back to the pen. There have been a couple of other comments that I can't think of right now that have led me to this way of thinking.

the one thing i've noticed thru the off-season is the lack of Matt being mentioned like the others. we've heard a lot of talk about Colby (already named opening day starter), Derek, Yu, Feliz, even Ogando but Matt seems the odd man out

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, depth is nice but we already have depth, Oswalt is overkill at this point

As far as McCutcheon goes, I like him but I feel you might as well make Martin part of the deal too b/c McCutcheon is going to be blocking Martin for the next few years here, might as well make him part of the package

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, depth is nice but we already have depth, Oswalt is overkill at this point

As far as McCutcheon goes, I like him but I feel you might as well make Martin part of the deal too b/c McCutcheon is going to be blocking Martin for the next few years here, might as well make him part of the package

i agree with you on Oswalt even with what Jon said. but if the Rangers have soured on Cruz because of his injury history could they have thoughts of letting him walk making room for both Martin and someone like McCutcheon?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with you on Oswalt even with what Jon said. but if the Rangers have soured on Cruz because of his injury history could they have thoughts of letting him walk making room for both Martin and someone like McCutcheon?

Sign Jorge Soler as Cruz's replacement in 2 years

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:eyebrows:

Sure, they throw in Hanrahan and we will add Martin! ha

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to all this mcCutchen talk texas will have to offer a lot-----he is the number 2 player under 25 only behind justin upton----last year when he was "struggling" he hit 23 hr's avg fell to .260 and finished with a 5.5 war (8th best in the NL for position players)

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to all this mcCutchen talk texas will have to offer a lot-----he is the number 2 player under 25 only behind justin upton----last year when he was "struggling" he hit 23 hr's avg fell to .260 and finished with a 5.5 war (8th best in the NL for position players)

Perhaps, but to most teams a 15 win/ 26 year old starter, a 2.25ERA "bad" year reliever, and another mid-20's replacement CF/4OF is a quite a lot. Considering also that we can give all three of those people for <$4M total next year, and then Harrison has 3 years of team control and Borbon 4 years...that is a pretty big offer.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah it is a nice offer but im thinking the pirates will need more....probably some prospects and maybe like jt said martin instead of borbon(i dont see him having much value right now)

i would love to have mcCutchen he is going to be a STUD. i dont think we/pirates will work out a deal and the pirates might just pay him???

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCutcheon would be nice to have in the leadoff spot, as his LineDrive% is good at 20%, his FlyBall% is decent 41.7%, and he walks at a good rate 13.1%, but he strikes out too much as well 18.6%

Compared to Kinsler last year at: 17.6%, 47.1%, 12.3% and 9.8% (only number Kinsler had the advantage on

So if McCutcheon can get the the Ks down and the average up (still higher than kinsler's), he would certainly worth a Martin/Harrison package, but I certainly wouldn't go much higher than that

So basically you're trading Harrison for your CFer going forward AND a potential replacement for the Pirates

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think they're as concerned with getting a cf as we are.

+1

TEX has a stack of potential CF options for this year and next. Beyond Hamilton there is Gentry, Borbon, Martin, and Beltre. Where TEX needs some backup is at COF where the best options to backup Hamilton and Cruz is only Murphy or one of the CFers.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

TEX has a stack of potential CF options for this year and next. Beyond Hamilton there is Gentry, Borbon, Martin, and Beltre. Where TEX needs some backup is at COF where the best options to backup Hamilton and Cruz is only Murphy or one of the CFers.

This is a statement I agree with

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

Moreland is a decent option for a corner OF backup. Good arm too. Definitely enough to make runners think twice.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for giving Gentry a shot to be the mostly regular CFer while Martin earns his stripes in AAA

Gentry steals bases at a ridiculous clip, gets good jumps and plays smart

His average across his minor league career has been pretty solid and started to show in decent time last year

He's not completely "popless," I've seen him give several balls a good ride but no luck yet at the ML level, and he hit HRs in the minors (high of 8 in AA), he's no Hamilton but he's no Otis Nixon either

And the best thing of all, he plays a killer CF, highest UZR/150 for any CFer with at least 100 innings played, and has a strong arm to boot

106 GP, .253 BA, .334 OBP, .367 SLG, 2 HRs, 34 SBs next year