• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Trading For Roy Hibbert

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The move isn't bad, but it's also not a great move. Hibbert is not going to get you any more than 7-8 rebounds a game while blocking about 2 shots a game & changing many other shots. Offensively, he is not effective as a go-to scoring option. He barely averages 10-11 points a game while shooting a dreadful % for a big man.

And when he plays against running teams, he will be run off the court & become a non-factor.

As a single year stop gap, this is an okay trade. But my question is: How is adding Hibbert any different than the addition of Boozler & Lin? They were all on 1 year deals.

Honestly, it's more like Lin than Boozer. Boozer was basically a veteran roster filler who could hopefully be a bit of a mentor for Randle. Unfortunately, Randle suffered a career ending injury so that didn't happen.

Lin was brought in with the hope that he could be consistently solid. The Lakers weren't looking for him to be "Linsanity" again. He was only 26 and on an expiring contract, so it was up to him to earn another one. The idea was that he would backup and learn from Nash and possibly be re-signed for less money going forward. Nash got hurt again and Lin never developed any consistency.

Hibbert is a 2 time all-star, is also 26 and on an expiring contract. Same deal, if all he needed was a location change and he plays well, it's win for the Lakers and he can be re-signed. If he doesn't respond, he's gone after the season and the Lakers lose nothing. Meanwhile, they are developing their young core to hopefully attract some FA's in the future.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I saw this. Lakers better not be giving up a lot. Roy is garbage. Lakers are taking on all 15.5 mill.

It's either a future 2nd round pick or some past second round pick that they have stashed in Europe. It's an expiring contract, so it's up to him to play well enough to earn another contract.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I was under the assumption that the Lakers wanted to make one last playoff run with Kobe. Its weird to think that the Lakers are developing talent but they have no less than 3 interesting top-end young players. You figure on average you'll get a star, a starter and a bust out of that but you actually have to play the games to see how the team will evolve moving forward.

Hibbert is a good piece just not against every team.

The Lakers made it pretty clear when the Dwight/Nash thing blew up, that they were no longer going to be trying to get Kobe one more ring. Once Dwight left, it was about developing young guys for the future of the franchise.

Basically, the attitude became, "we're building for the "post-Kobe Lakers" and if we're able to get a difference maker or 2 and Kobe gets one last playoff run out of it, great. If not, that's okay as long we keep building for the future."

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like to me there is a lot of criticism from the Lakers enemies - I'm wondering if that is pure hatred that the Lakers may have got better or wishful thinking

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers made it pretty clear when the Dwight/Nash thing blew up, that they were no longer going to be trying to get Kobe one more ring. Once Dwight left, it was about developing young guys for the future of the franchise.

Basically, the attitude became, "we're building for the "post-Kobe Lakers" and if we're able to get a difference maker or 2 and Kobe gets one last playoff run out of it, great. If not, that's okay as long we keep building for the future."
If the Lakers had got Aldridge and Jordan - that might have been possible with a healthy Kobe, so they did make an effort

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers had got Aldridge and Jordan - that might have been possible with a healthy Kobe, so they did make an effort

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The Dwight/Nash trade was all about a last title run or 2 for Kobe. If it wasn't all they had to was wait a year, looked to Dwight in FA and not even worried about getting Nash.

When that blew up, it became about building for the future. The elite FA's they went after were about replacing Kobe, not getting him one last playoff run. If they had been able to pull off getting DJ and LA and it got Kobe another playoff run, great for Kobe. But the point of going after them was about moving past the Kobe era not adding to it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently LA isn't the preferred destination for elite players anymore.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's like you just try to find already discussed crap and repeat it.

Here's the Readers Digest version:

The reason the Lakers aren't a preferred destination is the current roster. No one knows if the youngsters we have are any good.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not right now it isn't but it wasn't and that was my argument with the other Lakers fans early in the season. My argument is that the genius and success of Dr Jerry Buss would not transfer to the children. Every one knows that children are often different and less then their parents. In short they will have to build the team from the ground up and prove that they can repeat the success of their father who was the greatest owner in sports history. Dr Jerry Buss is the one that started cheerleaders on the court, he introduced the marketing signs on the floor, and he introduced show time which put the NBA on the world map.

That being said, however I believe the Lakers will be successful again. My argument is that it was not going to happen this year and would take a few more years. It takes time to rebuild a team, but I will bet any man in here that the Lakers will be back long before the Phoenix Suns or the Clippers win a championship each:pound:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was waiting for it. I knew it was coming. :rolleyes:

Hibbert will look amazing in the colors of royalty. :clap:
I really do share your optimism. I think he will be much better than that moron Lin and I don't see how he could be nearly as bad as some of the others like Luke Walton, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Carlos Boozer, Matt Barnes and....

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impossible for Hibbert to become the man with a healthy Kobe. If the rookies suddenly caught fire and the Lakers made a miracle trade - anything could happen:hope:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not right now it isn't but it wasn't and that was my argument with the other Lakers fans early in the season. My argument is that the genius and success of Dr Jerry Buss would not transfer to the children. Every one knows that children are often different and less then their parents.
I guess the apples fell far from the tree in this instance.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the apples fell far from the tree in this instance.

Jim Buss fell of the tree, rolled down the hill and got smashed by a freight train when he landed on some railroad tracks, but Jeannie Buss is hot.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Buss fell of the tree, rolled down the hill and got smashed by a freight train when he landed on some railroad tracks, but Jeannie Buss is hot.
Jeannie Buss is hot but is she any better on personnel decisions than her brother?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have confidence in Jeannie - as long as she is in charge over Jim - she will see to it that the Lakers get turned around, but I am against Jim resigning in two years if he's not successful. Most of the time, the best success stores comes after the worst failures. Jim still has to learn his lessons by trial and error. It's not the same as running when papa Buss was alive to tell him things

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impossible for Hibbert to become the man with a healthy Kobe. If the rookies suddenly caught fire and the Lakers made a miracle trade - anything could happen:hope:

Let's not get carried away.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeannie Buss is hot but is she any better on personnel decisions than her brother?
Yes she is, but it still takes time for a new front office and ownership in place to rebuild a team that was decimated like the Lakers was.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes she is, but it still takes time for a new front office and ownership in place to rebuild a team that was decimated like the Lakers was.
Aside from being hot looking what has she done that is any better than what her brother has accomplished.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from being hot looking what has she done that is any better than what her brother has accomplished.
I just told you - that it takes time. She has empowered Jim to run his plan and if he fails, then she has promised to remove him and put some one else in charge. The Lakers have done a good job thanks to Jeannie and Jim in getting some top draft picks. It's now just a matter of time