• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Trading For Roy Hibbert

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers do not "tend to run more" at all. They are an inside-out team and have been since they had that team with a healthy Paul George that challenged the Heat's big 3 in the Eastern Conference Finals.

I expect the Lakers to run more with Clarkson and Russell in the fold now. Plus Randle runs the floor well for a 4 too, so only Kobe and Hibbert will be playing the half-court game really. That being said, I do think it's a good move with little risk involved so nice pick up.
That's not what they said yesterday - they said that they were going to go smaller and run more like the Warriors do and that Hibbert no longer fits into their game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibberts only 'plus' skill is his ability to protect the rim. It makes the Lakers better but it doesnt make the Lakers a playoff team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers need a rim protector - nothing more really. Hibbert fits in nicely.

Both Clarkson and Kobe know how to score. Russell has proven it too.

Their main weakness last year was defence. There were multiple games last year where they would score over 110 points and STILL lose the game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Hibbert.

He is far more valuable than knee-jerk Laker haters want you to believe.

This is a low risk / high reward deal.

Good defender who can chip in some points here and there.

Yeah, I'm starting to warmup to the idea a little. Posted this on the FA thread:

I read an article this morning that has me feeling a little, but not much, better about getting Hibbert. I like that he will almost immediately be a better rim protector than we've had since Bynum first got hurt, that alone is a positive.

He was also an all-star twice and he was a big reason that the Pacers nearly knocked off the Heat in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago. The article mentioned that the whole team seemed to be negatively effected by that (they basically had put all of their hopes and dreams on that series). Then, when the Heat basically wrecked them the next season (it was 4-2, but the series was never in doubt), it seemed to take all of the wind out of the Pacers sails and Hibbert took most of the criticism.

With the Lakers, he gets an opportunity to get a fresh start in a new place without a lot of expectations. If it really is a case of a guy needing a fresh start, great for him and the Lakers. If it turns out that he's just done, then the Lakers let him walk after the season.

Hopefully the young guys show they can play and that will make the team more attractive. They would actually be able to go in to meetings talking about how good the kids are rather than how good they hope they'll be.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 ' 2"center averaging 10 to 12 point and 7 rebounds a game. 28 years old and will 29 in December, so he is young enough that the Lakers could offer him a two year contract next year and keep him until they have developed their new rookie enough to attract elite veterans. This is actually the type of players I anticipated the Lakers bringing in and very similar to the days of Mihm, Kwame Brown that were used to bring the title running Pau Gasol and etc. No one goes up the stairs 5 steps at a time. This is a nice baby step
Hibbert is a fainting goat.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pacers do not "tend to run more" at all. They are an inside-out team and have been since they had that team with a healthy Paul George that challenged the Heat's big 3 in the Eastern Conference Finals.

I expect the Lakers to run more with Clarkson and Russell in the fold now. Plus Randle runs the floor well for a 4 too, so only Kobe and Hibbert will be playing the half-court game really. That being said, I do think it's a good move with little risk involved so nice pick up.

That's not what Larry Bird said. He said the Pacers want to move to more of an uptempo game and that is why they were willing to part with Hibbert. He's just not in their plans.

Hopefully, the Lakers will have Kareem work some with Hibbert. He can learn a lot from him about rebounding position, low post moves, etc.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibbert made some positive offensive moves over his career, but for some reason it seemed like they stopped running plays for him when Paul George took over. So if the Lakers are going with 5 good players that all get a chance to shoot, then he will be a real good player, if Kobe looks for his shot, then a shot he can manufacture, then a shot he might be able to manufacture, hibbert will be a low double double guy.

I just question another center going on his final year that will probably walk away again.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,968.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibberts only 'plus' skill is his ability to protect the rim. It makes the Lakers better but it doesnt make the Lakers a playoff team.
Captain Obvious.

When were the playoffs mentioned?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At this point, it's less about making the playoffs than about developing the young guys and hoping a project like Upshaw or a possible reclamation like Hibbert can be a contributor to future playoff teams.

Even if the Lakers had landed Aldridge, they were probably looking at a 6 seed at best in the playoffs, which is largely why he turned them down.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was waiting for it. I knew it was coming. :rolleyes:

Hibbert will look amazing in the colors of royalty. :clap:

While I don't quite share quite that level of optimism on Hibbert, I don't hate the trade as much as when I first heard about it. I really hope I'm wrong. A couple of years ago, he looked to be the next up and coming big, but has faded badly since. Maybe some time working with Kareem will help him? Dwight didn't think Kareem had anything to offer. Hopefully Hibbert will see that a little differently.

No real surprise that GnG was the one who posted what you were waiting for though. :heh:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't quite share quite that level of optimism on Hibbert, I don't hate the trade as much as when I first heard about it. I really hope I'm wrong. A couple of years ago, he looked to be the next up and coming big, but has faded badly since. Maybe some time working with Kareem will help him? Dwight didn't think Kareem had anything to offer. Hopefully Hibbert will see that a little differently.

No real surprise that GnG was the one who posted what you were waiting for though. :heh:
:martini:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dwight's arrogance achieved climax when he rebuffed Kareem. It's going to be very interesting to see what Hibbert does in the purple n gold.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The move isn't bad, but it's also not a great move. Hibbert is not going to get you any more than 7-8 rebounds a game while blocking about 2 shots a game & changing many other shots. Offensively, he is not effective as a go-to scoring option. He barely averages 10-11 points a game while shooting a dreadful % for a big man.

And when he plays against running teams, he will be run off the court & become a non-factor.

As a single year stop gap, this is an okay trade. But my question is: How is adding Hibbert any different than the addition of Boozler & Lin? They were all on 1 year deals.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what Larry Bird said. He said the Pacers want to move to more of an uptempo game and that is why they were willing to part with Hibbert. He's just not in their plans.

Hopefully, the Lakers will have Kareem work some with Hibbert. He can learn a lot from him about rebounding position, low post moves, etc.
This is exactly the same thing I said except for the part with hoping Kareem will work with Hibbert and I was thinking that exact thought so here is the thing - you are thinking exactly like me now:pound:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, it's less about making the playoffs than about developing the young guys and hoping a project like Upshaw or a possible reclamation like Hibbert can be a contributor to future playoff teams.

Even if the Lakers had landed Aldridge, they were probably looking at a 6 seed at best in the playoffs, which is largely why he turned them down.

The Lakers aren't ready for players like Aldridge yet, they have to rebuild the roster with some role players first that will make the team attractive. It takes time. I think in two years the Lakers will be relevant enough for Short Buss to say his three year plan worked and keep his job. Then the Lakers can look and find some legitimate title contending players.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I saw this. Lakers better not be giving up a lot. Roy is garbage. Lakers are taking on all 15.5 mill.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of talk about this upshaw kid. I'd be shocked if he made team to be honest. All eyes will be on Russell and randle. I thought Gerald green should have made the team several years ago from his play in summer league. He ended up in Phoenix and has been a solid player IMO.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I saw this. Lakers better not be giving up a lot. Roy is garbage. Lakers are taking on all 15.5 mill.
He couldn't be any worse then Jeremy Lin or Carlos Boozer - I mean - really

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok. I was under the assumption that the Lakers wanted to make one last playoff run with Kobe. Its weird to think that the Lakers are developing talent but they have no less than 3 interesting top-end young players. You figure on average you'll get a star, a starter and a bust out of that but you actually have to play the games to see how the team will evolve moving forward.

Hibbert is a good piece just not against every team.