• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to hire a doormat as head coach.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus Todd Haley is an asshole- as we saw last year.
No doubt...but, really, you can have the old structure we had (and KC had) if the guys making the important decisions know what they are doing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd have to be the ultimate homer to think that Kurt and Linda Rambis aren't pulling the strings right now.

Jeanie's not going to establish herself as the top dog because that's not her nature. Also, she really has no knowledge of how to run the Lakers, or really any NBA franchise for that matter. If she did, she wouldn't be hiring friends into critical positions of the franchise.
She fired her brother didn't she? Not to mention she fired Mitch Kupchak, she hasn't brought back her lover boy Phil Jackson, so yes I do think the Rambis couple are making decisions. As of right now I haven't heard any legitimate reasons/evidence to suggest why that is a bad thing. So far hiring Magic Johnson from the beginning was a disaster, so I hope some one is finally stepping in with something better. I would telling a lie if I said I am expecting that to happen now, but I am hoping

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt...but, really, you can have the old structure we had (and KC had) if the guys making the important decisions know what they are doing.
i dont agree. I dont like having the coach and the general manager answering to the owner. I think there has to be some kind of hierarchy. I dont think its good when you can have the coach going behind the general manager's back directly to the owner. And on top of that- DePodesta also had his own little fiefdom. There were 3 major guys, all reporting to the owner.

I think you have a coach, and the coach, unless its like Bill Belicheck, answers to the President/GM, which is what Dorsey is. You have player personnel guys like Highsmith and Wolf that are reporting to Dorsey. DePodesta reporting to Dorsey, Kitchens reporting to Dorsey- and then Dorsey reports to the owner.

Its streamlined and everyone has to get on the same page. its a much better setup then basically letting everyone go to the owner when they have an issue--- thats a recipe for disaster.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She fired her brother didn't she? Not to mention she fired Mitch Kupchak, she hasn't brought back her lover boy Phil Jackson, so yes I do think the Rambis couple are making decisions. As of right now I haven't heard any legitimate reasons/evidence to suggest why that is a bad thing. So far hiring Magic Johnson from the beginning was a disaster, so I hope some one is finally stepping in with something better. I would telling a lie if I said I am expecting that to happen now, but I am hoping
Magic simply does not have the work ethic or brains for the job. These GM jobs are for guys that are really really smart that work long long hours

not that Magic isnst smart---- but Magic isnt sitting there studying the cap and analystics etc....

its one of the very weak parts about the Lakers- they still think they can just rely on the Laker name- their analystics department etc. is very weak.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont agree. I dont like having the coach and the general manager answering to the owner. I think there has to be some kind of hierarchy. I dont think its good when you can have the coach going behind the general manager's back directly to the owner. And on top of that- DePodesta also had his own little fiefdom. There were 3 major guys, all reporting to the owner.

I think you have a coach, and the coach, unless its like Bill Belicheck, answers to the President/GM, which is what Dorsey is. You have player personnel guys like Highsmith and Wolf that are reporting to Dorsey. DePodesta reporting to Dorsey, Kitchens reporting to Dorsey- and then Dorsey reports to the owner.

Its streamlined and everyone has to get on the same page. its a much better setup then basically letting everyone go to the owner when they have an issue--- thats a recipe for disaster.
You get this structure worked in KC, right? Well, at least they picked good players and won. In situations where you have good people as coach and GM you might need them both to report to the owner as one might not come if he has to report to the other. Ideally, I agree, the structure you describe is best.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic simply does not have the work ethic or brains for the job. These GM jobs are for guys that are really really smart that work long long hours

not that Magic isnst smart---- but Magic isnt sitting there studying the cap and analystics etc....

its one of the very weak parts about the Lakers- they still think they can just rely on the Laker name- their analystics department etc. is very weak.

Excellent point. Magic probably thought it was him and the Laker name that lured Lebron when in reality he just wanted to live in LA. They probably bought into their own brilliance in getting Lebron on board.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Jeanie will get it straight and truthfully - I think it's possible that she didn't expect him to be there a long time and knew he would quit abruptly. They know each other pretty well and you tend to know a person's limits. Signing LeBron in the long run was a mistake though. We are now two years away from the time when both Mozgov and Deng's contracts would have been gone completely and we would still have Randle and Russell. The pieces by now would be developing enough to become a playoff team and we would have a ton of salary to go after a combination of Leonard, George and Davis. Now we are limiting more then a third of our salary to one aging player. The fact that LeBron was injured and missed something like 23 games tells me that father time is undefeated, but hey I am 60 and I still think I can go 70 feet up into trees and trim them if my damned friends would let me:lol:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phil Jackson retired from coaching, he's not going to coach again. As an executive, he was beyond a disaster in New York. In terms of firing her brother, he was just as bad as she is and public opinion of him was at an all-time low. Mitch Kupchak was actually a quality GM, firing him was understandable, but she hasn't put anyone in place of him that's been better.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson retired from coaching, he's not going to coach again. As an executive, he was beyond a disaster in New York. In terms of firing her brother, he was just as bad as she is and public opinion of him was at an all-time low. Mitch Kupchak was actually a quality GM, firing him was understandable, but she hasn't put anyone in place of him that's been better.
I was more worried about him coming back as an advisor - I don't know much about Rambis' skills as a general manager or as a vice-pres of operations or Linda's for that matter, but I do think it's presumptuous to assume they are no good about it. For the time being I am putting the blame on Magic. As bad as everyone thought Jim Buss was, and as horrible as his signings of Mozgov and Deng were, he built some good pieces in the Lottery. I agree that Jeanie needed to move him out, but I do think that the Lakers moved to quickly in dumping Russell and Randle.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more worried about him coming back as an advisor - I don't know much about Rambis' skills as a general manager or as a vice-pres of operations or Linda's for that matter, but I do think it's presumptuous to assume they are no good about it. For the time being I am putting the blame on Magic. As bad as everyone thought Jim Buss was, and as horrible as his signings of Mozgov and Deng were, he built some good pieces in the Lottery. I agree that Jeanie needed to move him out, but I do think that the Lakers moved to quickly in dumping Russell and Randle.

Just look at your head coaching search so far and look at the disaster that has become.

What resume has Rambis built as an exec to have this blind faith in him, along with his wife/

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at your head coaching search so far and look at the disaster that has become.

What resume has Rambis built as an exec to have this blind faith in him, along with his wife/
There is no rush on the head coaching job - The draft pick is a no brainer that any one could do. I agree that the most they should have given Tyrone Lue was 3 years. A little surprising that he didn't take considering he has only coached a few years with the best player in the NBA. He has not shown that he knows how to win in adversity, so I don't consider that to be a disaster yet. I am thinking that they need a more mature and experienced coach that will be able to command the respect from LeBron.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cracks me up when they talk about Ty Lue being a championship coach. That dude didn't coach that team, Lebron James did.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cracks me up when they talk about Ty Lue being a championship coach. That dude didn't coach that team, Lebron James did.
That's the reason the Lakers didn't want to give Lue more than three years. They knew he can't coach and would only be there for the duration of LeBron. If LeBron stays or Lue proves he is more than a LeBron tit sucker, then he will earn another contractor

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....

I don't understand why they never even tried to contact West.

Bad blood that we don't know about?

At this point, do they hire a Newcomer like Billups or throw a brinks truck at a guy like Masai in Toronto?

Linda Rambis isn't the answer

The speculation is because Jeanie is still holding a grudge for how West basically walked out over differences with Phil Jackson years ago. So out of her loyalty to Phil, she doesn't want Jerry back in a decision making role.

So basically, some dumbass bullshit.