• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers to hire a doormat as head coach.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't wrong. Best thing to happen to Walton (who's not by any means a perfect coach) was getting fired by the Lakers.

Best thing to happen to Walton was being hired by the Warriors, then having his reputation inflated by baby-sitting Kerr's team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers being cheap on a coach is something new. They should've anted up more per year to make up for the shorter contract if Lue is indeed their guy. Maybe that still happens (it's not like Lue has other offers at this point). The other options being reported aren't exactly enticing. If Lue sticks to his demand for 5 years, that could be a deal breaker.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) You should want to see the Lakers become the Cavs #2 considering they made 3 or 4 finals with Lue as coach.

2) They gave Walton a 5 year deal. A coach with zero experience. Lue is a coach who won a title which must count for something but you want to give him a 3 yr deal and choose his staff?

tenor.gif

he had LeClown on his roster in a weak eastern conference...

PROVE to me he can coach...

and no, "getting in LeClown's face isn't proof...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he had LeClown on his roster in a weak eastern conference...

PROVE to me he can coach...

and no, "getting in LeClown's face isn't proof...

I get that but if you give an unproven coach a 5 year deal, you can't give a guy who won a title a 5 year deal?

You don't have to like Lue but you have to at least see why he would want a 5 year deal

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but if you give an unproven coach a 5 year deal, you can't give a guy who won a title a 5 year deal?

You don't have to get Lue but you have to at least see why he would want a 5 year deal

Different circumstances. Walton was given that deal to bring the kids along, before Lebron was a possibility. Lue is now in demand to work with Lebron, who's contract is up in 3 years (could retire, extend, leave....who knows). The window is much different.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different circumstances. Walton was given that deal to bring the kids along, before Lebron was a possibility. Lue is now in demand to work with Lebron, who's contract is up in 3 years (could retire, extend, leave....who knows). The window is much different.

I get that but from Lue perspective, I totally get why he wanted a 5 year deal.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A coach walking away from a lebron lead team ...has to be another first.

Lebrons ego is going to need a team of therapists to get through this.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers being cheap on a coach is something new. They should've anted up more per year to make up for the shorter contract if Lue is indeed their guy. Maybe that still happens (it's not like Lue has other offers at this point). The other options being reported aren't exactly enticing. If Lue sticks to his demand for 5 years, that could be a deal breaker.
Yeah well in a few years when Lue is the coach version of Latrell Sprewell and people are saying "how the hell did this idiot pass up $18 million over three years?!"...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Lue recognizes he has value as a token head coach. The Lakers aren’t exactly giving off the appearance of a well run organization at the moment.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I have been paying attention. I wish the Lakers no ill will but have enjoyed the gong show this year. I have enjoyed seeing LJ not get everything going his way for the first time in his life. I don't even dislike him, he just reminds me of Tom Brady as a guy who just get's way too much in life. It's nice to see guys like him struggle for a bit. Even out if you know what I mean. Of course I realize that he has and will always have way more than any of us will ever have but it's nice to see a little karma bounce every once in a while.

Ujiri has fixed a very very broken Toronto team. It isn't perfect and it's probably not going to bring in a banner but at least he's made them super competitive, they have a chance this year. Toronto isn't LA, it's arguably the third or fourth largest market in the NBA and probably the biggest if you consider the whole country is the 'market'.

I'm sure both Kawhi and Ujiri are very comfortable in Toronto. It's a good organization that is now competent and treats them very well. Toronto is not however a 'Holy Grail' franchise. I could see both of them wanting to accomplish that. Bring a Championship to a Holy Grail franchise. If Ujiri meets with LA, he will be the MAN in the room, none of those clowns are going to intimidate him and if they try he will say fuck you and stay in Toronto. If Ujiri goes to LA it will be on his terms.

Ujiri can fix broken.

Getting Ujiri would be huge. But I'm starting to doubt that the Lakers have sense enough to hire him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a big fan on hiring Tyrone Lue to be honest. I hate to see the Lakers become Cleveland Cavaliers #2. I know Magic Johnson has left the building, but this rebuild for the Lakers needs to be different and have it's own unique brand.

One thing, I think 18 million/3 years is enough - Tyrone Lue was a good coach for LeBron, but he wasn't the second coming of Jesus either and once LeBron is gone - he needs to be gone with LeBron and that's why the Lakers didn't hire him. I would prefer a more experienced and mature coach that LeBron can look up to and treat with respect. All of the younger coaches needs to go a different direction.
Can't disagree, really, but if they like him enough to offer 3 years might as well split the difference and make it 4.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerr makes $6M. Sure, there are some that make more (Doc and Pop at $10M make some sense, Brooks/Carlisle/Casey at $7M do not). You honestly think Lue deserves more than Kerr? He has 2.5 years experience carrying Lebron's golf clubs.
Only time they played with comparable talent Lue beat Kerr, so maybe.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,921.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're a fucking dumpster fire.

Jerry is rolling around in his grave trying to get out.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing to happen to Walton was being hired by the Warriors, then having his reputation inflated by baby-sitting Kerr's team.
Or maybe anyone can win with that team? wasn't Mike Brown also 12-0?