• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is strange. We get both Lin and a first round pick which the latter is very good for us next year but what did we give up? Is this just a one-sided deal? The word trade means we give up something and I cannot find anyone who is reporting what that Lakers gave up???!! Bizarre.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what gonna happen guys...they're giving up on 2014 and trying to make a big splash in 2015 free agency

:agree: I figured this to be the case if they didn't get Melo or Lebron. 2014 will be all about saving cap flexibility for 2015. An expiring contract, a first round pick, and other draft considerations. Not so bad and in line with Plan B.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expiring trade exception I think and or Nash

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is strange. We get both Lin and a first round pick which the latter is very good for us next year but what did we give up? Is this just a one-sided deal? The word trade means we give up something and I cannot find anyone who is reporting what that Lakers gave up???!! Bizarre.

Cash and rights to an overseas player. Not sure who that is. With the Lakers under the cap, they don't need to give salary back to Houston which is why they did this with the Lakers.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually didn't give up anything...maybe cash considerations, but that's about it

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this deal. We get our first rounder back we gave to Phoenix for Nash, we get a pretty decent guard who if he doesn't work-out is gone in a year, and now all the guys that have been waiting like Swaggy, Xavier, Jordon Hill, and Ryan Kelly can sign their one-year deals again. With Hill, I think they will sign him to a 3-4 year deal. I think they are trying to dump Nash's contract so I look for that to be the next move.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this deal. We get our first rounder back we gave to Phoenix for Nash, we get a pretty decent guard who if he doesn't work-out is gone in a year, and now all the guys that have been waiting like Swaggy, Xavier, Jordon Hill, and Ryan Kelly can sign their one-year deals again. With Hill, I think they will sign him to a 3-4 year deal. I think they are trying to dump Nash's contract so I look for that to be the next move.

It's Houston's pick not the one they traded to Phoenix. That one is top 5 protected. I don't think the Lakers will be that bad, but they could have two first rounders next summer!

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: I figured this to be the case if they didn't get Melo or Lebron. 2014 will be all about saving cap flexibility for 2015. An expiring contract, a first round pick, and other draft considerations. Not so bad and in line with Plan B.
There's still a lot of decent guys out there, but yeah, I don't see us contending this year....but I will say this. If its all about getting assets, then they BETTER go all out with it this year. I'd like to see them try to sign and trade Pau.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I get that its Houston's pick Lakersrule. Thanks. That would be cool to get two numbers for next year. I think they are still trying to move Nash's contract and then they'll re-sign guys like Swaggy, Hill, Kelly, and Xavier to mutiple year deals for some and one-year deals for others. I don't see Gasol returning but a sign and trade would be a good way to secure assets. Since they lost out on the big two, we all agreed that Plan B was in effect.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's still a lot of decent guys out there, but yeah, I don't see us contending this year....but I will say this. If its all about getting assets, then they BETTER go all out with it this year. I'd like to see them try to sign and trade Pau.

I think that will happen especially if he wants to go to NY. Shumpert perhaps.

Any contending team is not going to the have the cap space for what Pau thinks he's worth. S&Ts will be what it takes. I felt this would still be a viable option after not trading him during the season.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, glad you guys chimed in. Sorry to be such a gloomy Gus, my first thought was a bit of shock, thought Lin was an expiring, wasn't positive.

I think now would be a good time to solidify a coach and move forward.

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a good deal for the Lakers

Lin will be on last year of contract so there is not a big investment there on the Lakers part. But the important thing is that Lakers will get a first rounder next year (unless Kupchak trades that pick to Miami for Oden or trades for some other old fart :becky:)

The 76ers were rumored to be a trade partner with Houston for Lin and even though I was ambivalent about the Sixers acquiring Lin I was intrigued by the Sixers getting another first rounder next year

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a good deal for the Lakers

Lin will be on last year of contract so there is not a big investment there on the Lakers part. But the important thing is that Lakers will get a first rounder next year (unless Kupchak trades that pick to Miami for Oden or trades for some other old fart :becky:)

The 76ers were rumored to be a trade partner with Houston for Lin and even though I was ambivalent about the Sixers acquiring Lin I was intrigued by the Sixers getting another first rounder next year

Good post! As I stated in another post, I initially thought Lin had 1 yr remaining. A buddy thought 2. I guess I've calmed a bit. :yahoo:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sold on 2015 being some star studded free agent class. from what I see you have ..rondo, marc gasol, lamarcus Aldridge, an aging tony parker, goran dragic, deandre Jordan, al Jefferson. have to consider half of these players will agree with their current teams before season ends. with kobe on his way out im not sure who sees the lakers as better options... of all those only one I can possibly see moving is marc gasol or Jefferson. maybe make a play on Durant.

overall my point is don't do this mark Cuban special of all 1 year deals and end up empty handed

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sold on 2015 being some star studded free agent class. from what I see you have ..rondo, marc gasol, lamarcus Aldridge, an aging tony parker, goran dragic, deandre Jordan, al Jefferson. have to consider half of these players will agree with their current teams before season ends. with kobe on his way out im not sure who sees the lakers as better options... of all those only one I can possibly see moving is marc gasol or Jefferson. maybe make a play on Durant.

overall my point is don't do this mark Cuban special of all 1 year deals and end up empty handed
They're gonna try whatever for 2015...but logically, the 2016 route is the way to go(and it may end up as something they'll have to accept). KD and possibly Anthony Davis will be on the board

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, no way the Keep Nash, when we have Marshal, Clarkson & now Lin at the PG spot. See ya Nash. :wave:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Swaggy P is coming back on a 4 yr deal

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing to not like about this trade, imo. Lin is young and has shown he can play in the NBA. If he can be coached into being more consistent and cut his turnover's, it can end up being a good deal for the Lakers to re-sign him for less after the season. If he doesn't improve, then let him walk and they still have the 1st round pick. Very good deal considering what the Lakers gave up to get him.