• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2014 Off-Season Thread

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea especially losing Meeks and Farmar and probably Gasol. Oh well. They picked their strategy and they are going to have to live with or we will indeed be giving our number one to Phoenix next year.

I was racking my brain, but what other strategy could they go with? The NBA vetoing the Chris Paul deal was a major undoing for this team. Suddenly the Clippers are worth two billion and competitive while the Lakers are about to enter that very same malaise post Magic retiring in the early 90's. Is Sedale Threatt still around?

TheSnowdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was racking my brain, but what other strategy could they go with? The NBA vetoing the Chris Paul deal was a major undoing for this team. Suddenly the Clippers are worth two billion and competitive while the Lakers are about to enter that very same malaise post Magic retiring in the early 90's. Is Sedale Threatt still around?

I get that Stern vetoing the Paul deal was a setback and maybe tarnished the Lakers name a bit but that was a couple of years ago

Time to move on from that. Blaming that veto on the Lakers woes now is like Obama continuing to blame Bush even now.

There have been other significant moves since then that have put the Lakers in this situation

The Nash trade in my opinion was just a flat out horrible trade. Even if Nash didn't get injured I would still say it is a horrible trade. Nash is done. He was done 2 years ago. The Lakers would have been better to not make that trade and get by with the Steve Blakes or Farmars or whatever lower tier PG that is out there. Heck Kobe would have been able to take up the slack

and that brings me to Kobe - not the Lakers fault - just one of those things but Kobe's injury certainly set the Lakers back. I guess it depends on how you look at it though since with a healthy Kobe the Lakers probably were a playoff team but not a championship team so they would not have had the #7 pick this year. They would have had one of those twiner picks that might have or not panned out

D'Antoni - hiring this guy was a mistake from the get go. Forget Phil Jackson for a moment. Even if Jackson was not available there had to be other coaching candidates out there that would have fit with the Lakers more so than D'Antoni

Dwight Howard - I don't think this was a mistake by the Lakers FO actually. I think this was a good deal by them. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the Lakers would have been saddled with an injury riddled Bynum. All I heard from the Laker fans were how great Howard would be with the Lakers and the Kupchak needs to get it done. I think fans were spoiled a bit by the Gasol trade and what he brought to the Lakers. Unfortunately for the Lakers Howard didn't pan out but I don't think you can put all of that blame on the FO. Howard just wasn't meant for the pressure cooker of the LA scene it looks like.

I'm sure others on here have brought up the above points at one time or another. Yes the Paul no deal sucked but the Lakers situation now goes beyond that Paul deal.

just my :2cents:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that Stern vetoing the Paul deal was a setback and maybe tarnished the Lakers name a bit but that was a couple of years ago

Time to move on from that. Blaming that veto on the Lakers woes now is like Obama continuing to blame Bush even now.

There have been other significant moves since then that have put the Lakers in this situation

The Nash trade in my opinion was just a flat out horrible trade. Even if Nash didn't get injured I would still say it is a horrible trade. Nash is done. He was done 2 years ago. The Lakers would have been better to not make that trade and get by with the Steve Blakes or Farmars or whatever lower tier PG that is out there. Heck Kobe would have been able to take up the slack

and that brings me to Kobe - not the Lakers fault - just one of those things but Kobe's injury certainly set the Lakers back. I guess it depends on how you look at it though since with a healthy Kobe the Lakers probably were a playoff team but not a championship team so they would not have had the #7 pick this year. They would have had one of those twiner picks that might have or not panned out

D'Antoni - hiring this guy was a mistake from the get go. Forget Phil Jackson for a moment. Even if Jackson was not available there had to be other coaching candidates out there that would have fit with the Lakers more so than D'Antoni

Dwight Howard - I don't think this was a mistake by the Lakers FO actually. I think this was a good deal by them. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the Lakers would have been saddled with an injury riddled Bynum. All I heard from the Laker fans were how great Howard would be with the Lakers and the Kupchak needs to get it done. I think fans were spoiled a bit by the Gasol trade and what he brought to the Lakers. Unfortunately for the Lakers Howard didn't pan out but I don't think you can put all of that blame on the FO. Howard just wasn't meant for the pressure cooker of the LA scene it looks like.

I'm sure others on here have brought up the above points at one time or another. Yes the Paul no deal sucked but the Lakers situation now goes beyond that Paul deal.

just my :2cents:

I disagree with the Nash trade. At the time, it looked good. He was coming off of a very good season, just the season before. There was no way for the Lakers to know he was going to have his body completely fall apart on him.

Agree about Kobe. Just like with Nash, no way to predict that.

On D'Antoni. Where the Lakers screwed up was not so much the fact that they hired him, but the when and how they hired him. They fired Mike Brown 5 games into the season, then they led Lakers fans on in believing they were hiring Phil. Then they hired D'Antoni because they decided that they wanted Showtime back. Whether people like D'Antoni or not, the fact is, his offense works. Don't believe that? Re-watch the 2014 NBA finals, because that was pretty much D'Antoni's offense that the Spurs were running. He may not have been the right choice, but he was also set up to fail from day 1.

I agree about Dwight. People can say what they want, but there isn't a single GM in the league that wouldn't have done that deal if given the chance.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna throw this scenario out there...it would be way more likely if Houston matches Parsons offer and I think the Lakers are gonna try to do it. IF Lebron goes to Cleveland....should we then go after Bosh to see if that entices Melo to sign with us? I think we should at the LEAST see if Melo is interested in that

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LEBRON GOING BACK HOME

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well with LeBron going home, does this mean Bosh goes to Houston, Anthony goes to New York, and Gasol goes to San Antonio or parts unknown? We shall see in the next week.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that it means Melo to LA.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna throw this scenario out there...it would be way more likely if Houston matches Parsons offer and I think the Lakers are gonna try to do it. IF Lebron goes to Cleveland....should we then go after Bosh to see if that entices Melo to sign with us? I think we should at the LEAST see if Melo is interested in that

Worth a shot but unlikely. The main reason Melo is interested is because we can give him the max. Dropping the price to fit in Bosh might not work.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the lakers going to do? Plan for 2015 seems to be the best way now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a bad idea. For all we know, this might be a Lakers contingency plan. Heck, they probably have a contingency plans to back up their contingency plans. At least out until the 4 top FA's are signed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Lin might be coming to the Lakers real soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeremy Lin may be going to the Lakers...I don't quite know what to say yet

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Lin coming to the Lakers is Imminent.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Kobe's turnover ratio coupled with Lin's, this could be great for the blooper reels!

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lin is on a contract year.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Embarrassing. :L

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what gonna happen guys...they're giving up on 2014 and trying to make a big splash in 2015 free agency

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully they pull in ariza or deng