• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LaCanfora: Trestman's job security tenuous; lack of leadership

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hub was on the Score this afternoon and pretty much said that LaCanfora is pulling this story out of his ass.

LaCanfora was on with baldy and haugh, sounded like pure speculation, but the conversation moved to blame emery for chosing Trestman over Arians.

Just a conversation starter, twits on twitter needing to get their tweet out before everyone and a writer taking alot of journalistic leeway making people realize like we started to that maybe Trestman is under experienced for an nfl gig.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wil give you that he did enough to win in his lone game last year and it is a team thing. There is certainly more blame to go around then just Cutler. That said, QB is the most important position on the field. The position gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly. The problem I have is Cutler's body of work against the Packers. If you cannot win your division, you're going to have a hard time making the Playoffs. If you can't make the Playoffs then you can't win Super Bowls, which is the organization's stated goal.

Being a New Englander and watching Brady single-handed, at times, win big games with far less talent than Culter currently has provides first hand proof of what an impact a QB has on a game. That's largely a result of leadership, sheer will and heart. We have yet to see this from Cutler. When our management considers him "elite" - which I clearly do not - then we need big performances from the person and the position, not kickers, linebackers or offensive linemen.

Cutler's body of work against the Packers is bad, no question. But I think people would be looking at him a little differently had he made the playoffs last season like he should have. I think even the biggest Cutler critic has to admit that he had freakishly bad luck to not win that last game vs Green Bay last season. Remember that Rodgers' own fumble got picked up by a teammate and taken for a TD. Talk about a crazy, lucky play for the Packers. There was also the Jeffery fumble that was huge. But despite those 2 huge breaks for the Packers, Cutler STILL had the Bears in great position to win the game. Then the defense blew it by allowing a 48 yard TD pass on 4th and 8 with only 38 seconds left. Cutler finally came up big against the Packers, but terrible luck kept him out of the playoffs.

Then there was the year that he finished 10-6, but just missed the playoffs due to a tiebreaker. Another year he was cruising towards the playoffs at 7-3, but then broke his thumb on a freak play where he was making a tackle after an INT. An INT that wasn't even his fault because it bounced right off his own receiver's hands. Is there a harder luck player in the NFL that Cutler? With just a tiny bit of luck, he could have been in the playoffs 3 more times in Chicago. I don't know why he has such incredibly bad luck when it comes to just barely missing the playoffs year after year. The whole perception of him would be so different right now.

This is why I think the Bears need to stick with Cutler. The stats say he's a good QB, and simple bad luck has kept him out of the playoffs a few times. Things are bound to turn around. Bad luck doesn't last forever. Probably not this season unless they upset the Packers next week, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the playoffs in the next couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like nothing more that to have seen Cutty come out this year and kill it...shut everyone up, and just knock it out of the park. I feel bad for the kid actually and don't think he's near as douchey as he is portrayed.

With that said, that unluckiness that you mentioned is true, but it is now a pattern, not happenstance.

I'm afraid to say that this is Cutler...
giphy.gif

Kid must not be living right or something?:noidea:

C

cubzzzfanincali

Cutler's rating right now is 95.8 which is excellent. A 95.8 rating usually gets a QB somewhere between 5 and 10 in the passer rating standings at the end of the season. It's interesting that Cutler is taking so much criticism when he's having by far his best season statistically. He's playing very well overall, but unfortunately a couple bad decisions were very costly. Really just 2 bad throws. The 2nd INT in the Buffalo game, and the 2nd INT in the Carolina game. If he doesn't make those 2 throws, the Bears are 5-3 instead of 3-5 and everyone would be talking about Cutler having a great season. But obviously wins and losses mean the most to most people, so people are saying Cutler regressed despite his excellent statistics.

I think it's a shame the the team is so delicate that a couple bad INTs can bring down a season. If the team was good, the way Cutler is playing would be fine. A few bad INTs would not be so costly. With a 95.8 passer rating, Cutler clearly is doing much more good than bad. But since the team is so mediocre, the QB has to be almost perfect. I give Trestman a lot of the blame. With all the talent on offense, they should be scoring a lot more than they have. When you have a back like Forte, you should have a balanced offense. Not throwing constantly. A criticism of Trestman for a long time is that he's too pass happy, and we've certainly seen that.

The season is on the line in Green Bay. We have to hope the team is motivated to play a great game after being embarrassed in New England. Sometimes embarrassment one week can lead to a team playing its best game the next week. The Bears MUST win this game. We can stick a fork in them if they don't.

It is MUCH more than two bad throws. He has made dozens of bad choices on where to pass, sometimes even when he gets completions. Statistics are never going to really capture that. His audibling has also been pretty bad by almost everyone's account, and there's no statistic for that either. How do you measure the effect of losing yards gained in key downs which should have been probably successful rushes? Statistics do not outweigh what the eye can see. This is clearly not Cutler's best season, I'd argue it is his worst as a Bear, and in a year in which he has everything else surrounding him tailored to what he supposedly needs. Simply unacceptable.

But you are right about one thing. This is now must win territory. Season isn't quite done yet, but now there is no margin for error left.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is MUCH more than two bad throws. He has made dozens of bad choices on where to pass, sometimes even when he gets completions. Statistics are never going to really capture that. His audibling has also been pretty bad by almost everyone's account, and there's no statistic for that either. How do you measure the effect of losing yards gained in key downs which should have been probably successful rushes? Statistics do not outweigh what the eye can see. This is clearly not Cutler's best season, I'd argue it is his worst as a Bear, and in a year in which he has everything else surrounding him tailored to what he supposedly needs. Simply unacceptable.

But you are right about one thing. This is now must win territory. Season isn't quite done yet, but now there is no margin for error left.

I agree, there have been many many spectacular catches this season, but the biggest deal now is Marshall is tired of going up between three defenders and fighting for every catch. They put the surrounding pieces around him, but fighting for passes should be expected for tough first downs or fades to the end zone corner, not ever single attempt that the gunslinger is attempting to throw thru three defenders.

Best statistical season with the worst record in his career, its pretty easy to see that stats mean nothing when they dont turn into wins.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, there have been many many spectacular catches this season, but the biggest deal now is Marshall is tired of going up between three defenders and fighting for every catch. They put the surrounding pieces around him, but fighting for passes should be expected for tough first downs or fades to the end zone corner, not ever single attempt that the gunslinger is attempting to throw thru three defenders.

Best statistical season with the worst record in his career, its pretty easy to see that stats mean nothing when they dont turn into wins.

Where are these "many many spectacular" catches? I can only think of ONE Marshall catch in the endzone- (49ers I think)... other then that- where is Jeffery's crazy catches we saw last year? The 3rd down catches are not there. The big plays are not there.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Stats don't mean anything if they don't tell what I believe" - Bears fan

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like nothing more that to have seen Cutty come out this year and kill it...shut everyone up, and just knock it out of the park. I feel bad for the kid actually and don't think he's near as douchey as he is portrayed.

Totally agree. As a matter of fact, I'll go as far to say that I personally don't give a crap whether Cutty is a Dbag or not, I just want him to play well.

With that said, that unluckiness that you mentioned is true, but it is now a pattern, not happenstance.
[/quote]

+1, brougham. Once or twice is unlucky, all the time is not.

I'm afraid to say that this is Cutler...
giphy.gif

Kid must not be living right or something?:noidea:

The contract he received after his play last season, I was under the impression he was living right. As a matter of fact, I think that stuff raining down on him must be money.

To be honest, I blame Phil Emery first and foremost in regards to our tough position with Cutler.

Last edited by a moderator:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bears were in a tough spot, with nothing readily available or better to replace him....and considering the Bears' QB history, one can somewhat understand the predicament.

Cutler has to man up tho. I dunno what it is...go to church, study eastern philosophy...something, but find yournself young man!!

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cutler contract has been second guessed to death... It WAS/IS the market for QB's. Simple as that.

The Bears believed/wanted to have Jay and Trestman on the same time frame. It's half a season into a 3 year deal. Nothing more... Jay has put up the best half season numbers of his career... Has not been injured. (imagine if that happened!!) People want to talk record... That's a good point- but you also have to include (just like against GB last year) that in two of the loses ON JAY'S record- the defense only FORCED ONE FREAKIN PUNT!! ONE!!! in two games!

I'm over it...I'm so sick of people leaving the defense alone. The defense is awful.

In 4 losses the defense forced ONE turnover... ONE. In the first week against a QB who has already been benched. ugh.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I told everyone that Jay Cutler would average 30 TD's and 15 Picks... each year for then next three years of his contract- I'm betting all the money from my shitty teacher paycheck that you all would take that in a heart beat.

That's what Trestman has done...so far. I feel like they can do that or better. The sad part...is even with that, it looks like that will just keep them at 7-9, 8-8, 9-7... for the next 3 years.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is putrid Joey.

Everyone knows that.

DaSuperfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense is putrid Joey.

Everyone knows that.

The problem with this team is that it's designed for the offense to win the games and right now they're not carrying their own weight. It doesn't give the defense a pass, but this Bears team is constructed to win with their offense. However, the offense has been turning the ball over and not scoring enough points - therefore the record is what it is....terrible.

I'm not saying it's okay for the defense to be as bad as it's been, but the Bears offense, with all their talent have failed miserably. If there is any sign of hope for the 2nd half of the season, the offense must reach their full potential. Sadly - I just don't see that happening.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I told everyone that Jay Cutler would average 30 TD's and 15 Picks... each year for then next three years of his contract- I'm betting all the money from my shitty teacher paycheck that you all would take that in a heart beat.

That's what Trestman has done...so far. I feel like they can do that or better. The sad part...is even with that, it looks like that will just keep them at 7-9, 8-8, 9-7... for the next 3 years.

It's so easy to be negative when you're down, and also so easy to think you'll never come down from a high when you're riding a wave in the NFL.

But the reality of the situation always is, that there's only 16 games in a season. So, a few bad breaks can wreck you. While on the same token, a few good breaks can make you a contender.

Look at how close the team was last year with the losses to WSH, DET at home, and at MIN. Literally just an inch here or there, and they could easily win all three.

On the same token, look at this team in 2010. That was by no means a great team, but they were good enough and things fell their way. They faced an insane amount of backup and third string QB's. Won games where other teams shot themselves in the foot (The GB Monday night game at Soldier Field), and then wound up playing the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks at home in their first playoff game. Basically handed a free pass to the NFCCG. Sure, they had impressive showings like the win vs Philly and putting up 38 on the Jets at home. But I think you get my point.

The absurd truth of this league, is that a 6-10 team and a 10-6 team are often EXTREMELY close to one another. This season, the Carolina and Buffalo games could have… and probably SHOULD have fallen our way. At least ONE of them. Then, you know what? We're sitting here at 4-4 or 5-3, and telling ourselves that everything could still end up okay with a tweak and an adjustment here or there.

So, being certain of what's coming one or two years down the road is kind of silly. It's just a crap shoot.

C

cubzzzfanincali

You need to lay off the crack. There's no way on Earth that the highest paid QB in the league should only be producing 30 TDs for 15 INTs a year. And a 2:1 TD/INT ratio is fucking terrible. Have you paid any attention to the TD/INT ratios of the top QBs?

C

cubzzzfanincali

"Stats don't mean anything if they don't tell what I believe" - Bears fan

Stats mean some things, but not everything. I don't think it is an either/or sort of thing. I love stats, and they are useful for understanding some things in an objective way, but you are a fool if you don't understand the limits of statistics. Like almost everything else on Earth, tools should be used judiciously. And using statistics to "prove" Cutler is having his best season yet is, I would say, egregious abuse of the tool.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats mean some things, but not everything. I don't think it is an either/or sort of thing. I love stats, and they are useful for understanding some things in an objective way, but you are a fool if you don't understand the limits of statistics. Like almost everything else on Earth, tools should be used judiciously. And using statistics to "prove" Cutler is having his best season yet is, I would say, egregious abuse of the tool.

"let's see how many times I can call Joey T. a fool, idiot, stupid...or some form of." ~cubzzzfanincali

I agree with your point, I don't agree with your need to speak down. And that's the FREAKIN point I was making with that Quote. Duh.

C

cubzzzfanincali

"let's see how many times I can call Joey T. a fool, idiot, stupid...or some form of." ~cubzzzfanincali

I agree with your point, I don't agree with your need to speak down. And that's the FREAKIN point I was making with that Quote. Duh.

I don't see what your issue with speaking down is. Your Quote itself was itself speaking down. It's fine, speak down if you want, but don't try to have it both ways and act like you aren't doing exactly what you are criticizing.

There now you can add one more to the running tally.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what your issue with speaking down is. Your Quote itself was itself speaking down. It's fine, speak down if you want, but don't try to have it both ways and act like you aren't doing exactly what you are criticizing.

There now you can add one more to the running tally.

I think you have some very good insight and seem to know the game fairly well... sometimes. And sometimes you're batshit crazy.

What I don't understand is the need to (I'm a assuming you're a grown man) add the crap. What does that do for you?
Why do message boards need to turn into this bullshit pissing contest?