• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LaCanfora: Trestman's job security tenuous; lack of leadership

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, Cutler usually plays better in the 1st year of an offense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good, Cutler usually plays better in the 1st year of an offense.

1st year of Turner, his worst year as a Bear.

1st year of Martz, no. He was better in 2011, before the injury. Probably the end of 2010 and 2011 was the best he ever looked.

1st year of Tice, his second worst year.

1st year of Trestman, still unknown if he'll be better this year. But numbers-wise, he's certainly on pace for a better year. He's on pack to throw 34 TD's 16 INT's 4,000 plus yards and a QB rating around 90. We'll see how the second half goes. Obviously, if he finished 7-9 or worse. People will say he regressed.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st year of Turner, his worst year as a Bear.

1st year of Martz, no. He was better in 2011, before the injury. Probably the end of 2010 and 2011 was the best he ever looked.

1st year of Tice, his second worst year.

1st year of Trestman, still unknown if he'll be better this year. But numbers-wise, he's certainly on pace for a better year. He's on pack to throw 34 TD's 16 INT's 4,000 plus yards and a QB rating around 90. We'll see how the second half goes. Obviously, if he finished 7-9 or worse. People will say he regressed.

Cutler's rating right now is 95.8 which is excellent. A 95.8 rating usually gets a QB somewhere between 5 and 10 in the passer rating standings at the end of the season. It's interesting that Cutler is taking so much criticism when he's having by far his best season statistically. He's playing very well overall, but unfortunately a couple bad decisions were very costly. Really just 2 bad throws. The 2nd INT in the Buffalo game, and the 2nd INT in the Carolina game. If he doesn't make those 2 throws, the Bears are 5-3 instead of 3-5 and everyone would be talking about Cutler having a great season. But obviously wins and losses mean the most to most people, so people are saying Cutler regressed despite his excellent statistics.

I think it's a shame the the team is so delicate that a couple bad INTs can bring down a season. If the team was good, the way Cutler is playing would be fine. A few bad INTs would not be so costly. With a 95.8 passer rating, Cutler clearly is doing much more good than bad. But since the team is so mediocre, the QB has to be almost perfect. I give Trestman a lot of the blame. With all the talent on offense, they should be scoring a lot more than they have. When you have a back like Forte, you should have a balanced offense. Not throwing constantly. A criticism of Trestman for a long time is that he's too pass happy, and we've certainly seen that.

The season is on the line in Green Bay. We have to hope the team is motivated to play a great game after being embarrassed in New England. Sometimes embarrassment one week can lead to a team playing its best game the next week. The Bears MUST win this game. We can stick a fork in them if they don't.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And getting rid of Cutler isn't the answer unless you can get an elite QB. Cutler isn't elite, but he's a good QB. Sure we'd love to have an elite QB, but there are a lot of teams that have bad or average QBs that would love to have a good QB like Cutler. You can win a super bowl with a good QB. The Ravens did it with Joe Flacco. The answer is to improve the Bears team enough that they can win with a good QB like Cutler.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that win with good quarterbacks have stellar defenses. When the team was constantly in the playoff mix it was with a strong defense.

I really feel that Emery and trestman have Tucker in place as the scapegoat that everyone expects gone at the end of the season. Its good that there is talk that the head chopping should not stop there.

Elite QB, no thanks. elite head coach that will have the stones to keep trestman as the offensive coordinator I will buy into.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler's rating right now is 95.8 which is excellent. A 95.8 rating usually gets a QB somewhere between 5 and 10 in the passer rating standings at the end of the season.

He's also 3-5 this year and hasn't won a game at Soldier Field since last October. On top of it all, he's something like 1-10 against Green Bay, who we must go through to make the Playoffs. IMO those are damning statistics that far outweigh Cutler's QBR.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also 3-5 this year and hasn't won a game at Soldier Field since last October. On top of it all, he's something like 1-10 against Green Bay, who we must go through to make the Playoffs. IMO those are damning statistics that far outweigh Cutler's QBR.

So is Briggs, Gould, Slauson, Garza... Anyone who's been here for a few years. That's a team thing... He did enough to win last year- Was winning and D gave it up- So you can't just put the Packers record on Jay. Hell the "beloved" Uralcher was a part of some of those 10 losses too. Nobody blames him?

ATebowfan- It sucks that Jay's having this career year in the same year that Joe Flacco- throws 5 TD's in a half- and Ben Roethlisburger goes 12 in two games... Just kinda over shadows it.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Briggs, Gould, Slauson, Garza... Anyone who's been here for a few years. That's a team thing... He did enough to win last year- Was winning and D gave it up- So you can't just put the Packers record on Jay. Hell the "beloved" Uralcher was a part of some of those 10 losses too. Nobody blames him?

ATebowfan- It sucks that Jay's having this career year in the same year that Joe Flacco- throws 5 TD's in a half- and Ben Roethlisburger goes 12 in two games... Just kinda over shadows it.

In addition to this idiocy, my head to head opponent, who picked up Flacco off waiver wires in my FFL, starts him against me the day he tosses 5 td's, which beats me, then promptly drops him after that game.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My reaction. It is a locker room who understands they have the talent to win, but don't understand why they're not winning. So, much like this forum, they're making their own personal arguments as to why. AND, because leadership of the team hasn't (which I bet they have but we aren't hearing about it, other than BM's outburst in the Locker Room) singled a group out.

Honestly, it is probably because every group is to blame. I don't believe there is a single area (with the possible exception of RB) that hasn't blown it big time. O line, to much pressure on Jay, can't run block, D line bad to start the season, got better on the inside once Ratliff got back, but sucks rushing off the edge. Safeties are better when Conte his healthy, which is rarely. LB's are a revolving door of injuries and lack of experience. Wr can't seem to get separation, this was very apparent in the Carolina gam ( I was there) and New England game. Jay's 2 bad int's, though in the Carolina game you could point to either Jay's INT or Forte's awful fumble as being game deciders. CB's are now nicked up, would have loved to have played this season out with our first game starters, but at least, when healthy there is a bright spot. TE's underutilized. Don't get me started on the special teams play. Jay's having a great statistical year but has still made some critical errors in judgment.

Which points to management. Trestman has to get the attitude and start calling guys on the floor, but where are our veterans. This team, thanks to Angelo is devoid of home grown veteran players. I bet it is hard to yell at rookies and second year guys.

brh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And getting rid of Cutler isn't the answer unless you can get an elite QB. Cutler isn't elite, but he's a good QB. Sure we'd love to have an elite QB, but there are a lot of teams that have bad or average QBs that would love to have a good QB like Cutler. You can win a super bowl with a good QB. The Ravens did it with Joe Flacco. The answer is to improve the Bears team enough that they can win with a good QB like Cutler.

Good post. I think we all agree that Cutler isn't perfect. He clearly has some unfortunate flaws. But even with those flaws, he's still probably a top 15 QB in the league. You don't just throw that away unless you have a clear upgrade in hand. Even with flaws like his, a QB as good as Cutler is extremely hard to find.

It would be great to have a clearly elite QB, but they are so rare that if you refuse to be satisfied until you have one, then you're likely going to be a perpetually bad team. If you can find a decent option like Cutler, your best bet is too just accept his flaws for what they are and try to build a team around him that can work with those flaws.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else hear them ripping on Trestman this morning on XM radio?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jason McKie was on the radio saturday morning, he brought up an article where he said Emery defended the cutler signing by saying that if you have a player with a winning record over his career, he is elite. McKies cohost went to records and said Sanches must be elite since he is 33-28 and also has two AFC championship games to his credit. Tim Tebow also has a winning record and a playoff win.

I think this goes much farther up than trestman. Emery deserves some of this heat. He was a strength coach and a scout before working in the kc front office. Somehow this turned into a walk on water guy.

McKie said his Houston signing was probably good, since Houston graded out at the top of the heap of defensive ends last season, but Allen is over the hill and a terrible signing. Now we get to watch Emery move money from Cutler, Jennings, Allen. Gould and Slausens contract to make room to be able to afford to get more free agents after this season, which stacks the dead money past the point of Peppers. those new contracts will probably also be written with the money moving ability.

In a way its the blind leading the blind.

This team is now last in the division, noplace to go but up. We will need to see what kind of a leader trestman turns into to save his job.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be interesting if the Bears GM would pull a Cubs GM and fire Trestman and hire someone like Harbaugh if he leaves the 49r's.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is Briggs, Gould, Slauson, Garza... Anyone who's been here for a few years. That's a team thing... He did enough to win last year.

I wil give you that he did enough to win in his lone game last year and it is a team thing. There is certainly more blame to go around then just Cutler. That said, QB is the most important position on the field. The position gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly. The problem I have is Cutler's body of work against the Packers. If you cannot win your division, you're going to have a hard time making the Playoffs. If you can't make the Playoffs then you can't win Super Bowls, which is the organization's stated goal.

Being a New Englander and watching Brady single-handed, at times, win big games with far less talent than Culter currently has provides first hand proof of what an impact a QB has on a game. That's largely a result of leadership, sheer will and heart. We have yet to see this from Cutler. When our management considers him "elite" - which I clearly do not - then we need big performances from the person and the position, not kickers, linebackers or offensive linemen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hub was on the Score this afternoon and pretty much said that LaCanfora is pulling this story out of his ass.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wil give you that he did enough to win in his lone game last year and it is a team thing. There is certainly more blame to go around then just Cutler. That said, QB is the most important position on the field. The position gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly. The problem I have is Cutler's body of work against the Packers. If you cannot win your division, you're going to have a hard time making the Playoffs. If you can't make the Playoffs then you can't win Super Bowls, which is the organization's stated goal.

Being a New Englander and watching Brady single-handed, at times, win big games with far less talent than Culter currently has provides first hand proof of what an impact a QB has on a game. That's largely a result of leadership, sheer will and heart. We have yet to see this from Cutler. When our management considers him "elite" - which I clearly do not - then we need big performances from the person and the position, not kickers, linebackers or offensive linemen.

Agreed... We don't see Jay pointing and yelling- and jumping up and down on the sidelines talking with Olineman... But not many people are Tom Brady or Peyton Manning...Not giving Jay a pass, Tom and Peyton are on the Mt. Rushmore of NFL QB's all time. Wish we did see that "Jump on my back, I'll lead you" type of player. He's just not that guy.
It'll be interesting to see what this team does the rest of the way- I do remember quite a few season with Lovie were they finished with 3 or 4 wins to get to 9-7 and then say- Well we finished well. We did some good things. And he was given another chance to pick a new Coordinator. And Another shot.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still very much undecided, but I'm wondering aloud at this point whether Trestman, like Wade Phillips and Gary Kubiak elsewhere, has placed too much faith in his players to be grown men and act as such.

Hub was on the Score this afternoon and pretty much said that LaCanfora is pulling this story out of his ass.
Hmm, that's an interesting development. Arkush has no love lost for the current Bears ownership, but does have some pretty good sources. Thanks for that tidbit.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all of this said, I'm still happy we have moved on from Lovie and Co.

To be honest, I don't think he would have done any better with the talent we have on the defensive side of the ball.