• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kyler Murray to Arizona "A Done Deal"

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about timing and going all in now only to fail sets the team back 3 years minimum. You do need to pull the trigger at some point but is it the right time? IMO the better move is a reasonable 3 year deal with a veteran not happy with their current team and save the draft picks for support roles in the trenches like offensive line.

If you're the coach you want to tread above water and keep your job until you can find your guy. If you go all in on a bad QB field you're probably going to be looking for a new job by the end of the year.
No coach on a bad team is secure enough in his job to be mediocre to bad for years. Either way, that coach is fired. Might as well be fired after taking a risk.

Plus, if you bring in a decent veteran QB, you'll be picking in the 10-20 range. If there are good QBs in later drafts, you'll have to either trade up to get them, or hope there are a least 3 or 4 really good ones, so you can hopefully pick one up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Murray doesn't pan out (and he is far from a sure thing), the Cards wasted their 1st round pick in consecutive years on a QB. That is like the Browns bad. Lots of risk. I would understand if this was like Luck at #1, but Murray is risky.

I think any QB 1st overall is risky...Mayfield was risky as hell to me, but he looks the part now.

The key here is getting a good return on Rosen....the bad, he's like a new car, you're probably going to lose the most value on the return the 1st yr.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 1st thought for the Giants would be to trade #37 for Rosen...the caveat was, unless they were in love with Haskins.

If AZ is going to give up on Rosen after one season...37 might being attractive.
That's not a bad option.

I doubt most of the teams in the top ten are looking at getting a new QB too. The Niners, Jets, Raiders, Jaguars, and Lions are pretty much set. The only two I could see making a play for moving up would be the Buccaneers and Bills. IMO that makes it a seller's market.

There is some value in giving up their first for something more in the future if they aren't willing to go all in on this draft.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No coach on a bad team is secure enough in his job to be mediocre to bad for years. Either way, that coach is fired. Might as well be fired after taking a risk.

Plus, if you bring in a decent veteran QB, you'll be picking in the 10-20 range. If there are good QBs in later drafts, you'll have to either trade up to get them, or hope there are a least 3 or 4 really good ones, so you can hopefully pick one up.
That's why, in my opinion, you would want a mediocre veteran quarterback who might get you to 7 or 8 wins in the short term instead of a guy who will probably give you another top draft spot and fired. You don't want to over-invest into a draft with too much hype behind the wrong talent.

Last edited:

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why, in my opinion, you would want a mediocre veteran quarterback who might get you to 7 or 8 wins in the short term instead of a guy who will probably give you another top draft spot and fired. You don't want to over-invest into a draft with too much hype behind the wrong talent.
That's the problem, though.

Getting 7-8 wins is the worst spot to be in.

You don't make the postseason, and you're drafting outside the top 10. It's NFL purgatory.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Alabama game. Which was the absolute worse defense Alabama has had in probably 10 years, yet he was not able to take advantage of it despite playing in what was statistically the best offense in recent history, which he also inherited as they did the same under Mayfield.

The boy had everything he needed to succeed, and he couldn't/didn't.

I'm sure someone will come along and quote his stats in the game, but they didn't even score a TD until it was 28-0. 1st drive of the game, Oklahoma goes 3 and out as he takes 2 sacks. Next drive they manage 5 plays before having to punt on a couple of runs. 2 incomplete passes. Next drive, basically the same other than a single 21 yard pass on 1st down. They finally score on the next drive with some quick passes of 39 and 32 yards.

And it was basically a good bit like that the entire game. He made some plays, but I wasn't really all that impressed. Quite surprised with all the hype around him, I figure some of which must be because of Baker Mayfield and his success his rookie year(doesn't impress me if I'm being honest), as that is the most common argument I hear in favor of him.

I expect the NFL defenses to be better/faster and those smaller things that make him better in college won't be there anymore. He's athletic and has a good arm, and others have succeeded, but the odds are low. The NFL pandering to QB's will certainly work to his favor, BUT they aren't as nice when it comes to running QBs. Tom Brady gets that "Tom Brady" treatment because he sits in the pocket.

Then again, I'm not impressed with Baker Mayfield either really. Feel like it's more about omg the Browns won some games than it is anything. Am I supposed to believe teams are preparing for him the same way they do Brady and others? It's impossible that they are not only because they wouldn't take the browns as serious, but also a lack of film/tendencies and such. If he can still be doing that in his 3rd year, then I will be impressed. But the sophomore slump stuff happens because people learn and adjust, it remains to be seen if he is someone who can adjust themselves and move past it and keep up physically. I mean hell, Rex Grossman took the Bears to the superbowl one year, but I'm not sure he even played another full season his entire career - and not because of injury. Not that he was all that great to start with, but it just got worse. It was like his one and only season as a starter.

We'll see. Depending on where Murray goes he could have success, but wake me up if he's still starting somewhere in 3 years is all I'm saying.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad option.

I doubt most of the teams in the top ten are looking at getting a new QB too. The Niners, Jets, Raiders, Jaguars, and Lions are pretty much set. The only two I could see making a play for moving up would be the Buccaneers and Bills. IMO that makes it a seller's market.

There is some value in giving up their first for something more in the future if they aren't willing to go all in on this draft.

AZ...yep...aside from NYG...I don't see anyone else in the top 10 really looking for QB that early. Maybe Washington would give up 15, but I could see NE trading #32 for Rosen.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad option.

I can't see the Bills giving up on there 1st rounder last year for Arizonas first rounder last year. They took Allen instead of Rosen less than a year ago.

Reactions: gob

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could make sense as they are in need of a QB of the future. Would they trade the 15th pick for him even up? My guess is that they would want a 4th or 5th rounder from Arizona as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not a bad option.

AZ...yep...aside from NYG...I don't see anyone else in the top 10 really looking for QB that early. Maybe Washington would give up 15, but I could see NE trading #32 for Rosen.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Ari trading Rosen is bullshit.
Just dont see it happening (or did they get rid of their GM from last year?)

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see the Bills giving up on there 1st rounder last year for Arizonas first rounder last year. They took Allen instead of Rosen less than a year ago.
Allen is terrible and as long as he sucks the Bills are at least thinking about it.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they even get a second rounder for Rosen, much less a top 15 selection.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this happens I think the Pats need to offer up one of their many third round picks for the guy

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem, though.

Getting 7-8 wins is the worst spot to be in.

You don't make the postseason, and you're drafting outside the top 10. It's NFL purgatory.
It's either that or a very high probability of getting fired at the end of the year. IMO, if you fail you want to do it on your terms not just put it in fate's hands with a team someone else essentially built and drafted players you wouldn't normally invest highly in.