• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe ranked 93rd best player this year.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, would have liked for him to be able to go out on top or at least close to it. The Dwight/Nash thing was kind of a last ditch effort to make that happen. Unfortunately, it didn't work and thus, we never got the Kobe/Lebron finals everyone wanted to see.

Who knows? If he doesn't blow out his Achilles and have the other injuries, maybe the Lakers are able to attract some better FA's and he would have gotten to go out on top or close to it (at least one final playoff appearance).

On the other hand, maybe it's fitting that he's going out on a team that is in transition and trying to rebuild? He's been a Laker for more than half his life. So, sort of closing the door on 1 era and opening a new door to whatever is next.

As for his all time rank. I think he's probably top 10. But lower part of the top 10. Like 8-10 range, imo.
Im not sure what Dirk and Duncan are currently making. I know its substantially less than their fair market value. Each took less in their later years to try and give the team flexibility.

I have no clue how much of a difference it would have made- but if Kobe was on the books for 12M instead of 24M - the Lakers would have had a much better chance at helping Kobe go out on a high note. Both having the excess cap room- and not devoting such a large percentage of your cap to one player would have been a significant change.

As you said- the Lakers whole plan for Kobe's twilight years failed with Dwight's immaturity, and Nash's injuries. Just as in Philly after they traded for Bynum- the combination of both giving up ample assets and then not having the guys brought in work out- left them in a huge hole that they are still climbing out of today.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure what Dirk and Duncan are currently making. I know its substantially less than their fair market value. Each took less in their later years to try and give the team flexibility.

I have no clue how much of a difference it would have made- but if Kobe was on the books for 12M instead of 24M - the Lakers would have had a much better chance at helping Kobe go out on a high note. Both having the excess cap room- and not devoting such a large percentage of your cap to one player would have been a significant change.

As you said- the Lakers whole plan for Kobe's twilight years failed with Dwight's immaturity, and Nash's injuries. Just as in Philly after they traded for Bynum- the combination of both giving up ample assets and then not having the guys brought in work out- left them in a huge hole that they are still climbing out of today.

Yeah, not sure how much the extra cap room would have helped. Kobe coming off of major injuries and getting old was no longer the virtual guaranteed deep playoff run/finals appearance that it once was.

Had Kobe not blown out his Achilles, the Lakers may have been able to attract another top FA to replace Dwight, but with that injury, it simply wasn't going to happen. I would imagine too that it's a lot easier to put up with Kobe's famous surliness if a guy figures he'll get a finals appearance out of it.

His contract was his contract. From a business perspective, it was the right move because of the money they make just from having him on the roster and they wanted to honor him with one last monster contract. From a basketball perspective, it obviously signaled that they were going into a total rebuild.

His contract did leave enough room for another max level FA, but as I said above, no one was coming when it didn't look like adding them would mean a deep playoff run.

They probably could have spread that money over some mid-level FA's and improved enough to get into the playoffs and get bounced in the first round. Imo, that would have just put them in NBA purgatory where they were good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to win a championship and no way to improve the team via draft or FA. At least this way, they got some nice players in the past couple of drafts and have a shot at another in the upcoming draft.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not sure how much the extra cap room would have helped. Kobe coming off of major injuries and getting old was no longer the virtual guaranteed deep playoff run/finals appearance that it once was.

Had Kobe not blown out his Achilles, the Lakers may have been able to attract another top FA to replace Dwight, but with that injury, it simply wasn't going to happen. I would imagine too that it's a lot easier to put up with Kobe's famous surliness if a guy figures he'll get a finals appearance out of it.

His contract was his contract. From a business perspective, it was the right move because of the money they make just from having him on the roster and they wanted to honor him with one last monster contract. From a basketball perspective, it obviously signaled that they were going into a total rebuild.

His contract did leave enough room for another max level FA, but as I said above, no one was coming when it didn't look like adding them would mean a deep playoff run.

They probably could have spread that money over some mid-level FA's and improved enough to get into the playoffs and get bounced in the first round. Imo, that would have just put them in NBA purgatory where they were good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to win a championship and no way to improve the team via draft or FA. At least this way, they got some nice players in the past couple of drafts and have a shot at another in the upcoming draft.
i mean its just common sense ya know. Its REALLY hard to get a free agent to come to LA when such a large percentage of your cap is tied up in Bryant- who at that point was a major question mark because of his health issues.....

I mean- its tough. I dont want to blame Jimmy Buss- because how do you build a team with 24 million in basically "dead money" - how do you get a guy in his prime that wants to win- to agree to come to that situation? its unbelievably difficult as anyone with any sense would admit.

"no one was coming when it didnt look like adding them would mean a deep playoff run"----obviously this is very important and indicative of the environment in the NBA today...its very true. I have unbelievable respect for Kobe and wish we wouldve got to see one LBJ/Kobe matchup etc.....but it was not to be.

---funny side note Trojan....as you said above- and i totally agree with you- its REALLY hard to get a big time free agent to sign when you have a former star with health issues possibly clogging up 25M on your cap. Its tough...... WHERE IN THE NBA IS THAT EXACT SITUATION PLAYING OUT RIGHT NOW? (cough cough, CHRIS BOSH, cough cough)...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

another very good point as well. As you have noticed- or maybe you havent- obviously ive made a point out of the Buss' finances etc--- but ill never criticize them for payroll size during a rebuild. As you said above- makes ZERO sense to sign a few mid-level guys when that will do nothing but spoil your chances in the lotto and eat up cap room for when you just might be able to make a big play for a great player later on at some point. ----this is oe of the reasons i was less than enthusiasitc about Bass and Lou...however- SOME..some...veteran stability is needed i guess.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean in a lot of ways those situations are SO annalgous

think about it.....

A. last ditch efforts to try and win with aging superstars- CHECK

B. Making major trades for win-now vets and giving up draft picks well into the future- CHECK

C. A star player with health issues side-lining a HUGE % of your cap space and restricting your options- CHECK

D. Aging star player that the team is not sure they really want to lock up long term (gasol and wade) CHECK

I mean- if you compare the Lakers of 3 years ago- to the Heat of TODAY- you get a LOT of striking similarities in how their franchises were being operated. Now i have to say- I think the Lakers- in certain ways have done the right things- i think Russell and Randle were the right draft picks (all though in hindsight i think i go Porzingis over Russell- but that is inconsequential)- where i think the Lakers have gone wrong is not leveraginng their cap room as much as they might have to acquire assets during their rebuild- i think they could replenished their picks an young players faster if they did more lin-houston type deals- or would have dealt Gasol earlier.....but regardless...

if you are being objective- how can you come to any other conclusion that the Lakers situation 3 years ago is STRIKINGLY similar to the Heats situation RIGHT NOW. I believe that last year of being competitve the Lakers won a playoff series and got swept in the 2nd round- it all started going downhill after that. IT sure seems that the HEat are in the EXACT same spot LA was in 3 ors o years ago- and i think they are looking at the some protracted rebuilding experience. Obviously no one has to agree with me- but i dont know how you could discount such striking similarities.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean its just common sense ya know. Its REALLY hard to get a free agent to come to LA when such a large percentage of your cap is tied up in Bryant- who at that point was a major question mark because of his health issues.....

I mean- its tough. I dont want to blame Jimmy Buss- because how do you build a team with 24 million in basically "dead money" - how do you get a guy in his prime that wants to win- to agree to come to that situation? its unbelievably difficult as anyone with any sense would admit.

"no one was coming when it didnt look like adding them would mean a deep playoff run"----obviously this is very important and indicative of the environment in the NBA today...its very true. I have unbelievable respect for Kobe and wish we wouldve got to see one LBJ/Kobe matchup etc.....but it was not to be.

Add to that the fact that Kobe's known to be an asshole and who's going to put up with it in that situation. :lol: The blame that falls on Buss is less about the roster and more about some of the other moves he's made. He let most of the training staff go, he hired D'Antoni when Phil was available (and completely dissed Phil to do it) and put one of his friends, who had no real experience, in charge of the scouting department. The Lakers lack of preparedness in their FA interview with LA seems to be on him too. Remember, LA was actually rumored to be leaning towards the Lakers. Imagine him and Randle in the paint together.

---funny side note Trojan....as you said above- and i totally agree with you- its REALLY hard to get a big time free agent to sign when you have a former star with health issues possibly clogging up 25M on your cap. Its tough...... WHERE IN THE NBA IS THAT EXACT SITUATION PLAYING OUT RIGHT NOW? (cough cough, CHRIS BOSH, cough cough)...

To be fair, the Bosh thing came out of nowhere and isn't even a basketball injury. It also happened after he signed his contract. In Kobe's case, the Lakers gave him that contract after the injury.

Something tells me that if, after signing the monster contract he will get this off-season, Lebron suffers a major injury or potentially life threatening illness, you won't be nearly as critical as you are of the Heat and Bosh.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the worst last season by a first ballot HOF ever? Can't wait to watch him go 3 for 15 tonight.....
Kobe was overpaid by the Lakers organization. He should retired two years ago instead taking all that money when he didn't have game anymore.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add to that the fact that Kobe's known to be an asshole and who's going to put up with it in that situation. :lol: The blame that falls on Buss is less about the roster and more about some of the other moves he's made. He let most of the training staff go, he hired D'Antoni when Phil was available (and completely dissed Phil to do it) and put one of his friends, who had no real experience, in charge of the scouting department. The Lakers lack of preparedness in their FA interview with LA seems to be on him too. Remember, LA was actually rumored to be leaning towards the Lakers. Imagine him and Randle in the paint together.

To be fair, the Bosh thing came out of nowhere and isn't even a basketball injury. It also happened after he signed his contract. In Kobe's case, the Lakers gave him that contract after the injury.

Something tells me that if, after signing the monster contract he will get this off-season, Lebron suffers a major injury or potentially life threatening illness, you won't be nearly as critical as you are of the Heat and Bosh.
im not critical of the heat giving bosh the money- im merely commenting on the reality of the situation- this is something bksballer TOTALLY did not understand- it sucks bosh is hurt- i WANT him to play...i dont want ANYONE to get hurt-- THIS year- if the CAvs make the Finals and beat a GSW team without Draymond and Iguadala that would lessen the enjoyment to some extent.

its by no means the Heat's fault that Bosh is going to be a millstone around their neck in all likelihood- butjust because its not their fault doesnt change the facts of the situation.-- and i think those facts are pretty similar

i gotta say- i look at the Lakers 3 or so years ago- and the Heat of today- and see just a ton of similarities...i mean wouldnt you guys agree? its almost CRAZY how similarly they are/were positioned.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
another very good point as well. As you have noticed- or maybe you havent- obviously ive made a point out of the Buss' finances etc--- but ill never criticize them for payroll size during a rebuild. As you said above- makes ZERO sense to sign a few mid-level guys when that will do nothing but spoil your chances in the lotto and eat up cap room for when you just might be able to make a big play for a great player later on at some point. ----this is one of the reasons i was less than enthusiasitc about Bass and Lou...however- SOME..some...veteran stability is needed i guess.

I'll never understand what your deal is with the Buss' finances. They could have less money than you or I and it wouldn't matter because they have no need to dip into their own finances. The money they get for being the Lakers and in the NBA and the deal with Time Warner see to that. The whole idea of a profitable business is for the owner to never have to dip into their own pockets to keep the business running.

The thing with guys like Bass and Lou, as you said, there needs to be some kind of veteran presence on a team as young as the Lakers. Plus, these are guys who they may be able to keep as role players for when they are eventually a better team or at least to help the young guys learn to be NBA players.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not critical of the heat giving bosh the money- im merely commenting on the reality of the situation- this is something bksballer TOTALLY did not understand- it sucks bosh is hurt- i WANT him to play...i dont want ANYONE to get hurt-- THIS year- if the CAvs make the Finals and beat a GSW team without Draymond and Iguadala that would lessen the enjoyment to some extent.

its by no means the Heat's fault that Bosh is going to be a millstone around their neck in all likelihood- butjust because its not their fault doesnt change the facts of the situation.-- and i think those facts are pretty similar

i gotta say- i look at the Lakers 3 or so years ago- and the Heat of today- and see just a ton of similarities...i mean wouldnt you guys agree? its almost CRAZY how similarly they are/were positioned.

I agree. The situations are similar, but the way they got there isn't. Hopefully, Bosh will recover completely and get back to being a top player. If not, then I'd expect he'll retire. Not sure how much or when his salary would come off the books if he does retire. I don't know what the league rules are if he retires before his contract is up.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about where Kobe lands among the NBA legends of all time.

Today, we see the No 1 Active Player of all time play his final game.

Yep, you know who is still chasing....

Congrats KB24 on a great career!

Thank you for all the memories!

#ThankYouKobe

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll never understand what your deal is with the Buss' finances. They could have less money than you or I and it wouldn't matter because they have no need to dip into their own finances. The money they get for being the Lakers and in the NBA and the deal with Time Warner see to that. The whole idea of a profitable business is for the owner to never have to dip into their own pockets to keep the business running.

The thing with guys like Bass and Lou, as you said, there needs to be some kind of veteran presence on a team as young as the Lakers. Plus, these are guys who they may be able to keep as role players for when they are eventually a better team or at least to help the young guys learn to be NBA players.
Imagine you are running the Cavs payroll this year of - what is it? like after taxes something like 150 million?

whats the time warner yearly revenue? How much do the Lakers have to write a check for in revenue sharing per year?

obviously im not expecting the to run Dan Gilbert like payrolls- and i have no clue the numbers- but i would seriously doubt that if they were running 150 million dollar payrolls and paying out tens in millions in revenue sharing that they would be operating in the black. Perhaps i am wrong about that.

Also- Perhaps when you have 7 kids sharing the franchise they - themselves- want to make some money off it-this is less consequential than the above i think.

and like i said- i would love to see the numbers- but between revenue sharing- and paying deep into the luxury tax- if they were to do that- i dont THINK you could guarantee a profit on net operations.

and i think when you see a guy like Ballmer pay 2 Bill- that these arent business bought to be profitable to these owners who are newly buying in- these are bought as their hobbies- some run them like their hobbies- guys like Gilbert, Cuban etc.--- some owners have strict edicts to their GM to stay below the tax- like Allen USUALLY does in Portland.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The situations are similar, but the way they got there isn't. Hopefully, Bosh will recover completely and get back to being a top player. If not, then I'd expect he'll retire. Not sure how much or when his salary would come off the books if he does retire. I don't know what the league rules are if he retires before his contract is up.
if he retires before his K is up it stays on the books for 1 year- if he stays retired it then comes off...

that is kind of important...if he retires this summer- then the Heat would have to carry him for 1 year- and then it comes off....

if he tries to give it a go next year- steps on the court- and something happens- and hes done in like November--- then hes gonna be on the book for that year and the ENTIRETY of the next year....so their is some strategic planning that must be done when making tht decision.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine you are running the Cavs payroll this year of - what is it? like after taxes something like 150 million?

whats the time warner yearly revenue? How much do the Lakers have to write a check for in revenue sharing per year?

obviously im not expecting the to run Dan Gilbert like payrolls- and i have no clue the numbers- but i would seriously doubt that if they were running 150 million dollar payrolls and paying out tens in millions in revenue sharing that they would be operating in the black. Perhaps i am wrong about that.

Also- Perhaps when you have 7 kids sharing the franchise they - themselves- want to make some money off it-this is less consequential than the above i think.

and like i said- i would love to see the numbers- but between revenue sharing- and paying deep into the luxury tax- if they were to do that- i dont THINK you could guarantee a profit on net operations.

and i think when you see a guy like Ballmer pay 2 Bill- that these arent business bought to be profitable to these owners who are newly buying in- these are bought as their hobbies- some run them like their hobbies- guys like Gilbert, Cuban etc.--- some owners have strict edicts to their GM to stay below the tax- like Allen USUALLY does in Portland.

Don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know that the Time Warner deal pays for literally everything and that's before adding in ticket sales, revenue sharing, etc. When the Lakers eventually are above the salary cap and paying luxury taxes again, it will cover that too. It is a deal that still has quite a few years left on it and is worth several billion dollars.

As for siblings making money off of it, they all do. But it is set up the way Dr. Buss wanted it and Jeanie has the most powerful position in the organization and she has said she will see to it that her fathers wishes are honored.

The only luxury tax edict the Lakers have is the same one they've always had...they aren't paying luxury tax for a team that can't win, but they will pay any amount of luxury tax necessary for one that can.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't remember the exact numbers, but I do know that the Time Warner deal pays for literally everything and that's before adding in ticket sales, revenue sharing, etc. When the Lakers eventually are above the salary cap and paying luxury taxes again, it will cover that too. It is a deal that still has quite a few years left on it and is worth several billion dollars.

As for siblings making money off of it, they all do. But it is set up the way Dr. Buss wanted it and Jeanie has the most powerful position in the organization and she has said she will see to it that her fathers wishes are honored.

The only luxury tax edict the Lakers have is the same one they've always had...they aren't paying luxury tax for a team that can't win, but they will pay any amount of luxury tax necessary for one that can.
i just dont agree that if they were paying Dan Gilbert like payrolls combined with luxury tax bills and revenue sharing payments that they would be in the black.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he retires before his K is up it stays on the books for 1 year- if he stays retired it then comes off...

that is kind of important...if he retires this summer- then the Heat would have to carry him for 1 year- and then it comes off....

if he tries to give it a go next year- steps on the court- and something happens- and hes done in like November--- then hes gonna be on the book for that year and the ENTIRETY of the next year....so their is some strategic planning that must be done when making tht decision.

Thanks. Didn't know what the rule was. That makes sense. Hopefully, they'll get the health issue figured out one way or the other so that he and the Heat can make the best decision for both his health and that of the franchise.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i just dont agree that if they were paying Dan Gilbert like payrolls combined with luxury tax bills and revenue sharing payments that they would be in the black.

It doesn't matter if you agree or not. It doesn't change the fact that they would be. Keep in mind, when the Lakers were one of the biggest luxury tax payers in the NBA, they still always made money and that was before the Time Warner deal. The Time Warner deal covers all costs before any other revenue streams are added.

Remember, prior to Lebron returning, the Lakers were the biggest luxury tax payer in the league. A big part of the reason Gilbert and Cuban bitched and cried was because the Lakers figured out a way to improve the team and lower their tax burden. A big chunk of his NBA welfare check came from the Lakers being so far over the cap.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if you agree or not. It doesn't change the fact that they would be. Keep in mind, when the Lakers were one of the biggest luxury tax payers in the NBA, they still always made money and that was before the Time Warner deal. The Time Warner deal covers all costs before any other revenue streams are added.

Remember, prior to Lebron returning, the Lakers were the biggest luxury tax payer in the league. A big part of the reason Gilbert and Cuban bitched and cried was because the Lakers figured out a way to improve the team and lower their tax burden. A big chunk of his NBA welfare check came from the Lakers being so far over the cap.
How can you say that when you dont know the numbers too? I said- i dont know because i truly didnt know- and i dont know how you could KNOW that without the numbers.

So- what did i do?

I looked up SOME of the numbers. And again- i couldnt tell either way- just not enough info- the estate tax thing on Jerry is really fascinating though. I think its intresting how this Time Warner deal essentially SAVED the Buss' from having to sell from Estate TAx concerns- when your primary business is the Lakers- and you buy it in the 70s or whatever for peanuts- and it appreciates to be worth like a billion- when you die your gonna owe a TON on that.....i was reading where Jerry was concerned he would have to sell until this deal was secured- which leads me to believe that a fair amount is going towards those estate tax payments. average of 150M a year is a lot---after revenue sharing it falls to 100 million..after the estate tax payments- i couldnt even speculate what those would be...i have no clue how long that would be- im not sure how long you are allowed to pay that back- i know you can set up yearly payments......we shall just have to wait and see i guess.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Under its deal with Fox Sports West, the Lakers were getting about $30 million a year in rights fees, people familiar with the situation said. Some industry observers pegged the new 20-year pact at a value of $3 billion, although Time Warner Cable dismissed that figure.

A Time Warner spokesman told SBNation.com that the $3 billion figure was incorrect, but neither the cable provider nor the Lakers have revealed the deal's pricetag.

SportsByBrooks reports, and Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski confirms, that Jerry Buss, who bought the Lakers decades ago and has watched the franchise's value soar, had feared that estate taxes upon his death would put family ownership of the Lakers in danger. This deal should erase that worry.

The TV Contract is 3 billion over 20 years. That averages out to 150 million a year- but as everyone knows that passed high school economics (hopefully MOST of us here) 150 million today is not worth 150 million 20 years from now. There is, i am sure, some kind of amortization schedule- where its something like 100 million in year one, and 300 million in year 20 and everything in between. The deal started in the '12-'13 season- so we are about 4 years in...so lets just ball park it at about 120 million.

REVENUE SHARING:

he 2012-13 season was the first full, 82-game season for the league in which the system was implemented, after the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season. For 2012-13, teams ultimately contributed a total of $131 million to the revenue-sharing pool that along with other shared revenue pushed total revenue-shared dollars to more than $200 million.

Big-market teams contributed the most: The Los Angeles Lakers paid $45 million into the plan, followed by the New York Knicks at $23 million and the Chicago Bulls at $17 million. On the receiving end, the Charlotte Hornets took in $21 million followed by the Milwaukee Bucks at $17 million. The figures came from a source familiar with the plan and have been reported previously.

Just looking at it- you take more than a third right off the top in revenue sharing.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you say that when you dont know the numbers too? I said- i dont know because i truly didnt know- and i dont know how you could KNOW that without the numbers.

So- what did i do?

I looked up SOME of the numbers. And again- i couldnt tell either way- just not enough info- the estate tax thing on Jerry is really fascinating though. I think its intresting how this Time Warner deal essentially SAVED the Buss' from having to sell from Estate TAx concerns- when your primary business is the Lakers- and you buy it in the 70s or whatever for peanuts- and it appreciates to be worth like a billion- when you die your gonna owe a TON on that.....i was reading where Jerry was concerned he would have to sell until this deal was secured- which leads me to believe that a fair amount is going towards those estate tax payments. average of 150M a year is a lot---after revenue sharing it falls to 100 million..after the estate tax payments- i couldnt even speculate what those would be...i have no clue how long that would be- im not sure how long you are allowed to pay that back- i know you can set up yearly payments......we shall just have to wait and see i guess.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Under its deal with Fox Sports West, the Lakers were getting about $30 million a year in rights fees, people familiar with the situation said. Some industry observers pegged the new 20-year pact at a value of $3 billion, although Time Warner Cable dismissed that figure.

A Time Warner spokesman told SBNation.com that the $3 billion figure was incorrect, but neither the cable provider nor the Lakers have revealed the deal's pricetag.

SportsByBrooks reports, and Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski confirms, that Jerry Buss, who bought the Lakers decades ago and has watched the franchise's value soar, had feared that estate taxes upon his death would put family ownership of the Lakers in danger. This deal should erase that worry.

The TV Contract is 3 billion over 20 years. That averages out to 150 million a year- but as everyone knows that passed high school economics (hopefully MOST of us here) 150 million today is not worth 150 million 20 years from now. There is, i am sure, some kind of amortization schedule- where its something like 100 million in year one, and 300 million in year 20 and everything in between. The deal started in the '12-'13 season- so we are about 4 years in...so lets just ball park it at about 120 million.

REVENUE SHARING:

he 2012-13 season was the first full, 82-game season for the league in which the system was implemented, after the lockout-shortened 2011-12 season. For 2012-13, teams ultimately contributed a total of $131 million to the revenue-sharing pool that along with other shared revenue pushed total revenue-shared dollars to more than $200 million.

Big-market teams contributed the most: The Los Angeles Lakers paid $45 million into the plan, followed by the New York Knicks at $23 million and the Chicago Bulls at $17 million. On the receiving end, the Charlotte Hornets took in $21 million followed by the Milwaukee Bucks at $17 million. The figures came from a source familiar with the plan and have been reported previously.

Just looking at it- you take more than a third right off the top in revenue sharing.

downloaddssadsa.jpg