• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe & Lakers Agree To Extension

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They do have a ton of cap room regardless of the false notion.
They can sign 1 "Class A" free agent in 1 year or possibly 2 in 2015. Even with this deal the Lakers will be amongst the teams with the most cap space.

2. Teams hardly ever signs multiple top tier free agents
How many teams outside of Miami have been able to sign 2 "class A" free agents in the same season over the last 30 years? It rarely if ever happens. Maybe Orland in 2000?

2. Kobe is a 1st team all-NBA player in 2013 getting paid fair market price.
If he plays at near that level, that is the going price. They did not give 25 million to a roleplayer.

1. They can get maybe 2 along side Kobe and then have to use their exemptions to fill in roster spots.
2. Might need more examples. Boston, Miami, and Orlando...so 3 in 14 years with 30 teams over 14 FA periods...I would call that rare. 3 times in 420 chances.
3. Kobe is 35 and coming off an achilles rupture, they were bidding against themselves. $10m was market price. Expecting him to play at the level of $25m a year is ridiculous just at the age of 35 let alone coming off that injury.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That essentially put Dr. Buss in a position to have to choose between Shaq and Kobe, so Dr. Buss rightfully chose the younger more versatile player. If Shaq had been patient and acted like a professional, he would have been given a deal similar to what Kobe just got and would have retired a Laker instead of bouncing around the league stealing money from the likes of the Cavs, Suns and Celtics

Spot on Trojan! And I was sitting two rows behind Doc Buss in Hawaii when Shaq came down and yelled out to Doc....and Shaq didn't take care of himself during the offseasons coming in out of shape, suffering toe injuries due to overweight, etc. It was a no-brainer by Doc to hand the mantle to Kobe who skillfully led us to 2 more titles WITHOUT Shaq.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expecting him to play at the level of $25m a year is ridiculous just at the age of 35 let alone coming off that injury.

It's already been correctly posted that this is a "gift" from the ownership to a loyal employee who has about single-handedly help sell out Staples 308 consecutive games(until two weeks ago), put millions in their coffers, partly responsible for the TWC $5 billion contract, and not even mention concessions/apparel with Kobe having the top selling jersey in the world up until last year.

And I'll say it again, who's to say what their strategy is and know what they're doing when it comes to their future?? All folks are doing here is looking at the salary cap/luxury ramifications and the contract. Don't put it past ownership to have a plan in place even if a Lebron/Melo or any other superstar doesn't sign here. Who would have ever thought we'd get Kobe in a draft trade to couple with Shaq? There are all kinds of possible scenarios that can unfold come 2014.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They can get maybe 2 along side Kobe and then have to use their exemptions to fill in roster spots.

You mean like what the Heat have done for the past 3 seasons? You mean like Lakers did to win 5 titles in the 00's? Like the Bulls did in the 90's? Is that what you mean? Apparently, that works.

2. Might need more examples. Boston, Miami, and Orlando...so 3 in 14 years with 30 teams over 14 FA periods...I would call that rare. 3 times in 420 chances.

I think you missed his point. The point was that even if the Lakers didn't re-sign Kobe and he retired or they let him go as a free agent, chances were slim that they were going to sign 2 max players in 1 FA class anyway. This way, they keep their superstar FA AND have the cap space to add another.

3. Kobe is 35 and coming off an achilles rupture, they were bidding against themselves. $10m was market price. Expecting him to play at the level of $25m a year is ridiculous just at the age of 35 let alone coming off that injury.

I expect that Kobe will still perform at an All-Star level, but it will be different. Kobe was already in the process of changing his game to one that involved less slashing and cutting to the basket (much like MJ over his last 3 years in Chicago), so the transition shouldn't be THAT difficult since he was already changing his game.

Last edited by a moderator:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the landscape has changed regarding signing role/fill-in players. There is going to be a lot less $5+ million contracts for these types. There will be a lot more minimums being signed similar to what the Lakers were able to do last summer. Teams are no longer going to overpay for role players given the current CBA.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put this into perspective for those who are opposed to this deal -

Amare Stoudemire - 21.6m
Joe Johnson - 21.4m
Carmelo - 21.4m

Three contracts over 20m for guys who have never even played in a championship. You don't let greatness walk away to take a shot at potential hurting the Lakers brand is the last thing you want to do. The worst case scenario is the Lakers do not win a championship over the next two years, but they let a legend and Laker great play out his career in front of his home fans. The market next year has only one max deal player that would perform at the level of Kobe Bryant, so why would you let him go to sign a worse player and potentially help a team like Chicago, Dallas or San Antonio who could all sign him.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three contracts over 20m for guys who have never even played in a championship. You don't let greatness walk away to take a shot at potential. The worst case scenario is the lakers do not win a championship over the next two years, but they let a legend and Laker great play out his career in front of his home fans. The market next year has only one max deal player that would perform at the level of Kobe Bryant, so why would you let him go to sign a worse player and potentially help a team like Chicago, Dallas or San Antonio who could all sign him.

Bingo!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is 35 and coming off an achilles rupture, they were bidding against themselves. $10m was market price. Expecting him to play at the level of $25m a year is ridiculous just at the age of 35 let alone coming off that injury.

Look, it's all fine, if you view it through the right lenses. Bryant is a massive star, and the limits on individual maximum salaries ensure that every true franchise player is underpaid (by his team, anyway) for most of his career. Bryant is taking a slight pay cut here, since he's earning north of $30 million this season, but he did not take a team-friendly discount on the levels of Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and even LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh in Miami. That's cool. Bryant is right to fight for as much dough as possible. The Lakers are right, in their Lakery way, to give him that dough. He's a drawing card, a guarantee of sellouts amid falling ticket sales, and he has helped the Lakers to five NBA titles.

And Bryant, by the way, remained a phenomenal offensive player last season before his Achilles tear. He hit 51 percent of his 2-point shots, the very best mark of his career, as Kevin Pelton pointed out last week at ESPN.com. Among 106 players to finish at least 75 post-ups with a shot, drawn foul, or turnover, Bryant was the most efficient in the league, per Synergy Sports. The most efficient! At age 34! He hit 55 percent of his post-up shots and produced 1.05 points per possession from the block, per Synergy. Factor in passes from the block, and only one of those 106 players leaps past Kobe in points per possession on post-ups: Kevin Durant.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three contracts over 20m for guys who have never even played in a championship. You don't let greatness walk away to take a shot at potential. The worst case scenario is the lakers do not win a championship over the next two years, but they let a legend and Laker great play out his career in front of his home fans. The market next year has only one max deal player that would perform at the level of Kobe Bryant, so why would you let him go to sign a worse player and potentially help a team like Chicago, Dallas or San Antonio who could all sign him.

Bingo!

I find it kind of amazing that the opponents to this signing don't seem to get it. Now I will say that was quite a bit of jack to pay someone at Kobe's stage of his career, but it isn't like the Lakers have went out and cut their own throats...

As Far as the "history channel" is concerned, as one dopey troll put it, at least if they did document what the Lakers have done historically it'd make for a much better story than whatever team he'll ever follow...:lol:

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny trend that all who are saying this was a bad deal are the same guys who are Lakers and Kobe haters anyways. Pretty much says it all...

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bryant, by the way, remained a phenomenal offensive player last season before his Achilles tear. He hit 51 percent of his 2-point shots, the very best mark of his career, as Kevin Pelton pointed out last week at ESPN.com. Among 106 players to finish at least 75 post-ups with a shot, drawn foul, or turnover, Bryant was the most efficient in the league, per Synergy Sports. The most efficient! At age 34! He hit 55 percent of his post-up shots and produced 1.05 points per possession from the block, per Synergy. Factor in passes from the block, and only one of those 106 players leaps past Kobe in points per possession on post-ups: Kevin Durant.

Hmmm didn't know that. Excellent insight into how he's allowed himself to evolve as he's aged. And if he can demand double teams(we'll see), that'll only open up spot up/3 pt shooters like Meeks, Johnson, Henry, Farmar, Blake, Young, etc. I'm giddy at the prospects but, like everyone, curious/cautious as to how he'll look when he steps out on the court.

Black Adam

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmmm didn't know that. Excellent insight into how he's allowed himself to evolve as he's aged. And if he can demand double teams(we'll see), that'll only open up spot up/3 pt shooters like Meeks, Johnson, Henry, Farmar, Blake, Young, etc. I'm giddy at the prospects but, like everyone, curious/cautious as to how he'll look when he steps out on the court.

I think it's on the minds of all of us who follow the purple and gold. So far through chemistry and cohesiveness they're IMO holding their own, but that's something that can easily be disrupted by a lot of different factors...including Kobe's return. We shall see...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, it's all fine, if you view it through the right lenses. Bryant is a massive star, and the limits on individual maximum salaries ensure that every true franchise player is underpaid (by his team, anyway) for most of his career. Bryant is taking a slight pay cut here, since he's earning north of $30 million this season, but he did not take a team-friendly discount on the levels of Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and even LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh in Miami. That's cool. Bryant is right to fight for as much dough as possible. The Lakers are right, in their Lakery way, to give him that dough. He's a drawing card, a guarantee of sellouts amid falling ticket sales, and he has helped the Lakers to five NBA titles.

I completely agree Kobe earned that money, but I know they are not going to compete until his contract is off the table.

And Kobe is not going to be the offensive force he was last year, and his D will be even worse than it was. The man is old.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Tim Duncan. He took CONSIDERABLY less money so his team could contend. He was what, 10 seconds from another title last year, and will have another shot THIS year?

Kobe could stand to learn from this, as well as the Lakers FO. Unfortunately, the egos in LA will never get this. They believe they can have their cake and eat it too.

Kobe will never win another ring as a Laker.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take Tim Duncan. He took CONSIDERABLY less money so his team could contend. He was what, 10 seconds from another title last year, and will have another shot THIS year?

Kobe could stand to learn from this, as well as the Lakers FO. Unfortunately, the egos in LA will never get this. They believe they can have their cake and eat it too.

Kobe will never win another ring as a Laker.

Too bad Pop didn't leave Duncan in those last 10 seconds!

Different financial landscapes at play. Duncan doesn't generate nearly as much revenue for the Spurs that Kobe does for the Lakers.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I don't think Kobe wins anymore rings with the Lakers. I'm not sure he does even if he took less. Realistically, Kobe would have had to take a minimum contract so that the front office could sign two max players in 2014 (Lebron and someone). No way that happens.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Pop didn't leave Duncan in those last 10 seconds!

Different financial landscapes at play. Duncan doesn't generate nearly as much revenue for the Spurs that Kobe does for the Lakers.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I don't think Kobe wins anymore rings with the Lakers. I'm not sure he does even if he took less. Realistically, Kobe would have had to take a minimum contract so that the front office could sign two max players in 2014 (Lebron and someone). No way that happens.

This is true......NOBODY in SA generates money. Its the most tepid market in the NBA.

You do have a point.....but I really think the issue is Kobe more than the money. I don't think he's willing to share the spotlight, or the ball. Even if he had Lebron, and say Carmelo - with 2 seconds on the clock, and he's double teamed, he STILL isn't going to pass that ball.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't seem to have a problem sharing the spotlight last season with Dwight. He even became more of a facilitator.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't seem to have a problem sharing the spotlight last season with Dwight. He even became more of a facilitator.

Doesn't matter how many examples you give, some of these folks just simply refuse to get it. The Lakers brought in Dwight and a future first ballot HOF point guard. Both of these players were acquired with Kobe's blessing, yet they still want to cling to "Kobe won't share the spotlight or the ball"!!

At this point, trying to tell them any different is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig!!:lol:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mods can we get a how to on quoting?

Yes, but it's pretty complicated and you can get lost easily if you don't concentrate. But I'll try to make it as simple as possible. I'll do all the steps in order.

1.) Go to the post you want to quote.
2.) See the "Quote" button?
3.) Press it.