• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe & Lakers Agree To Extension

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it was a business decision. I just thought the Lakers were always about winning a title. Nothing pays more money long term than winning. Dr. Buss must be rolling over in his grave.

Actually, Dr. Buss would approve of this move. He was all about taking care of the players. As I mentioned in another thread, Shaq would have gotten the same type of deal had he behaved more professionally.

There have been a couple of times during Dr. Buss's tenure where he "overpaid" players in there last couple of seasons just to have them remain Lakers.

This doesn't necessarily cripple their chances of being contenders, but it does make it a bit tougher. Kupchak says the Lakers have a plan, Kobe said when they made the offer that they told him that they have a plan. I can only assume that the plan was discussed with Kobe and being able to implement that plan while paying him that contract was also discussed.

I doubt we'll know what the plan is until the Lakers put it into action. Worst case scenario, whatever the plan may be doesn't work and being contenders again is postponed until about 2016. Best case, the plan works, Kobe gets a shot a ring #6 and Lakers fans get to talk all kinds of smack!!:lol:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to feel this way to. I think the front office realizes it won't get Lebron next summer and aren't interested in Melo. I think Mitch was just shoveling us some rhetoric when he says that they can still build a title contender around Kobe his last two seasons.

This deal still gives them cap flexibility in 2015 and 2016 for a couple big time players as well as locks up a major income generating player for a couple seasons. It essentially delays the rebuild by a year or so, but honestly I don't think it makes much of a difference to what the Lakers can do this upcoming summer. Lebron isn't coming whether Kobe signed for the minimum or maximum.

:agree: As I've said before, the Lakers will make a very strong case to Lebron to become a Laker (they pretty much have to), but I will be absolutely shocked if Lebron actually signed with the Lakers. I don't think him not signing with the Lakers would have anything to do with the Lakers or Kobe, but it would be more about "image" and his "brand". Lebron took an incredible amount of criticism when he left Cleveland, it effected him deeply and I don't think he wants to risk going through that again.

Can't say as that I blame him either.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Dr. Buss would approve of this move. He was all about taking care of the players. As I mentioned in another thread, Shaq would have gotten the same type of deal had he behaved more professionally.

There have been a couple of times during Dr. Buss's tenure where he "overpaid" players in there last couple of seasons just to have them remain Lakers.

This doesn't necessarily cripple their chances of being contenders, but it does make it a bit tougher. Kupchak says the Lakers have a plan, Kobe said when they made the offer that they told him that they have a plan. I can only assume that the plan was discussed with Kobe and being able to implement that plan while paying him that contract was also discussed.

I doubt we'll know what the plan is until the Lakers put it into action. Worst case scenario, whatever the plan may be doesn't work and being contenders again is postponed until about 2016. Best case, the plan works, Kobe gets a shot a ring #6 and Lakers fans get to talk all kinds of smack!!:lol:

I'm pretty sure Dr Buss would have made sure Kobe was paid but I think the terms under how he is getting that money would have been totally different. I have no clue what plan the Lakers have but it must involve a lot of praying. From what I understand of the CBA they will have a tough time putting a serious contender on the court unless someone pulls a Lebron and takes less money to play with kobe.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Dr Buss would have made sure Kobe was paid but I think the terms under how he is getting that money would have been totally different. I have no clue what plan the Lakers have but it must involve a lot of praying. From what I understand of the CBA they will have a tough time putting a serious contender on the court unless someone pulls a Lebron and takes less money to play with kobe.

I agree. Not sure what the plan is, but they are saying that there is one. I'm also going to go out on a limb and bet that the Lakers understand the cap and what they can do a lot better than you or I do, so we can only wait and see how things play out.

The only hint that I've heard is that they have cap space to sign a max FA and some solid role playing FA's. Beyond that, there hasn't been much said.

How the money was paid may have been totally different if Dr. Buss were alive, but we don't know for sure. If memory serves, the CBA has some restrictions on deferred payments, etc. For example, I think contracts like the 25 year deal Magic got back in the day are now against CBA rules. Could be wrong on that, but I believe that's what I heard back when the "amnesty Kobe" talks were happening.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also going to go out on a limb and bet that the Lakers understand the cap and what they can do a lot better than you or I do, so we can only wait and see how things play out.
Touche

How the money was paid may have been totally different if Dr. Buss were alive, but we don't know for sure. If memory serves, the CBA has some restrictions on deferred payments, etc. For example, I think contracts like the 25 year deal Magic got back in the day are now against CBA rules. Could be wrong on that, but I believe that's what I heard back when the "amnesty Kobe" talks were happening.

Interesting.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how it goes next summer but don't sleep on any potential trades prior to that.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be good for laker fans to watch Kobe take the cash (afterall, Kobe tweeted its just business), versus make the sacrifices players like Lebron and Bosh did, in the hopes of winning a title.

The deal probably eliminates him winning a 6th. With no draft picks, it will take a while for LA to build assets to make a true championship run. With Boston rebuilding, and the Spurs soon enough, the Heat if they resign together have a window to probably win a few more.

LBJ is already being compared to MJ. He now looks to have been given a great chance to truly challenge MJ as the greatest. Not there yet, but the path just got easier

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT could mean nothing but in the press conference kobe made it sound like there was already someone in the mix to join lakers wouldn't go into details as it would be tampering...has he already recruited melo or someone else?

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't ever underestimate Lakers brass....don't think for a second FA's didn't pay attention to how ownership treats their players - similar to Spurs. Nothing would surprise me when they build team next year including acquiring players you or I wouldn't think they could get(think Pau for one).

"Overpaying" for Kobe is not something they will lose sleep over, lol.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BAM, the best FA other than LBJ just rejected your max deal. Max deal. Then they bashed Dwight in the press after he left. These kids today are not just about the money (vs Kobe). LBJ took a major reduction to be with players he would enjoy. Your thinking 1990's.

You acquired Pau for high end expiring contracts and 1st round draft picks.

You have one valuable expiring contract in Pau today, and you could give up the two remaining picks you have through 2019. Thats a true deal opportunity at the trade deadline. Issue is last time the Grizz did this, those picks did not end up high picks.

This is basically the only trading asset Mitch has, as all those young players are unrestricted free agents. Is this the final straw? we will see

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LBJ did not take a major reduction. None of the did. They all took less money than the max, but it's not like they took Duncan-less money. If all 3 stick with their current contracts, the Heat will be facing major salary cap issues soon. What would be impressive is if they opt out next summer and resign for less money preserving Riley's ability to surround them with a competent cast.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, Lebron got paid 14million the first year in Miami and it averages to 16 million over the three years . That was while Kobe was making 30 m. This was just prior to new cap rules so he could have made a lot more . He forfeited his drose condition as a result . The difference is huge. Give Lebron credit for putting the teams chances first.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rule, Lebron got paid 14million the first year in Miami and it averages to 16 million over the three years . That was while Kobe was making 30 m. This was just prior to new cap rules so he could have made a lot more . He forfeited his drose condition as a result . The difference is huge. Give Lebron credit for putting the teams chances first.

Weak try. Kobe's deal was in place before anyone had any idea what the new CBA would be like. Lebron could not have made a lot more because there wouldn't have been money to re-sign D-Wade and sign Bosh. Kudos to the big 3 for taking less to win titles, but Kobe won 2 titles making what he does because the Lakers could afford to pay him commensurate with his value to the team and still pay to put enough talent around him to get titles.

The Heats big 3 had no choice but to sign for less if they wanted to win titles together.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, I am merely pointing out that Lebron took less so as to win rings. He could have taken more and been stuck on a team that could only sign perhaps one more star level talent. His choice was winning, not the money.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was talking about Kobe making too much dough when he took us to 2 titles including one over the Celtics.....Lakers have a cushion too called, TW Cable at $5 Billion over 20 years. Yeah that helps absorb any possible CBA luxury tax hits if they wanted to go over. How many teams have that type of cache??

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job LeBron, you helped the NBA make more cash because you were sad about not being able to get a ring. Glad Kobe understands that it's also a business. Guess it's different when you already have 5 rings and you're not desperate for validation.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it's different when you already have 5 rings and you're not desperate for validation

or that he was allowed to play the collusion game

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, I am merely pointing out that Lebron took less so as to win rings. He could have taken more and been stuck on a team that could only sign perhaps one more star level talent. His choice was winning, not the money.

if your boss offers you a raise that you feel is warranted, do you negotiate down?? Kobe was offered the $ and he took it knowing his window is basically shut after next two years. Cut that salary in about half with CA taxes by the way.

If the Buss kids are willing to pay it, why rip Kobe? Oh wait, cause haters will find ANY excuse to do so. He's earned EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR ABOVE AND BEYOND what he's brought to the fans and the teams' coffers.