• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe & Lakers Agree To Extension

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, I am merely pointing out that Lebron took less so as to win rings. He could have taken more and been stuck on a team that could only sign perhaps one more star level talent. His choice was winning, not the money.

if your boss offers you a raise that you feel is warranted, do you negotiate down?? Kobe was offered the $ and he took it knowing his window is basically shut after next two years. Cut that salary in about half with CA taxes by the way.

If the Buss kids are willing to pay it, why rip Kobe? Oh wait, cause haters will find ANY excuse to do so. He's earned EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR ABOVE AND BEYOND what he's brought to the fans and the teams' coffers.

Dead on.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job LeBron, you helped the NBA make more cash because you were sad about not being able to get a ring. Glad Kobe understands that it's also a business. Guess it's different when you already have 5 rings and you're not desperate for validation.

Kobe was very desperate for validation against Detroit in the Finals. So much that he refused to listen to Phil while doing things his way..... desperately wanting to win a Finals MVP.

But it was a massive fail on his part. Possibly cost himself and the Lakers another ring.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't it funny how much one Knicks "fan" rides LeClown's jock so much....

2 threads today and counting...

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was talking about Kobe making too much dough when he took us to 2 titles including one over the Celtics.....Lakers have a cushion too called, TW Cable at $5 Billion over 20 years. Yeah that helps absorb any possible CBA luxury tax hits if they wanted to go over. How many teams have that type of cache??
Don't you find it strange that you're the only one who always brings this up?

After Kobe signed this latest contract, did you read or hear any NBA writers or talking heads on TV say "LA has nothing to worry about financial wise. They can spend as much as they want because of their TV deal?"

All I hear or read is just the opposite. No mention of TV deal whatsoever.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure is strange but there's $5 bill spread over 20 years for them to source....if they are willing to risk paying above and beyond it obviously comes down to fiscal restraint. Then again, to have that type of stash must be somewhat comforting, ie see Kobe's deal

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't hear it Doors because haters love to hate on Kobe. If Kobe isn't coming off of a championship season then you better believe the media is going to take it's shots.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how come those columnists and talking heads who do love Kobe and the Lakers.....haven't brought up using the TV deal to counteract the future of repeatedly spending over the cap?

You 2 are delusional about this.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how come those columnists and talking heads who do love Kobe and the Lakers.....haven't brought up using the TV deal to counteract the future of repeatedly spending over the cap?

You 2 are delusional about this.

Maybe because they brought it up plenty of times in the past and people like you dont want to accept it.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then take it from this fan who has a couple of management friends that work in the organization. They have that money and call it a day.

Shouldn't you be more concerned about your woeful Knicks who are trying to mimic the team in the next borough with their pathetic play?? How long until Woodson gets canned? When are JR and Melo gonna come to blows? Why pay hundreds of dollars to see a team tank?

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause after 42 years he's got no choice but to see what else is out there besides his doormat Knicks, the laughingstock when it comes to a big city where bball was born!

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe should have sacrificed a bit more for the team here. And I don't believe for a second that this outrageous number was the Lakers' first offer and Kobe merely accepted it. These aren't ignorant parties at either end of the table.

As for loyalty, it should be shown in the retirement years. The team needs to remain competitive and there's plenty of time for showing this 35 year old man loyalty for the rest of his life.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Red Slug, well stated. Our great of recent times, PP, the kid from Inglewood will never be forgotten for how he handled himself this year. He accepted the fact that Danny needed to rebuild, and he got KG to agree to the deal, delivering us 4 very high picks for the future.

The Truth is a legend already, but the way he helped the Celtics on the way out was huge. He will be back in a few months either as a player or a management person.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can revere PP to the highest of highs but, as a LONG TIME employee as Kobe has been to Lakers, he won't have played his entire career with Celtics.

DIfference in how Lakers take care of their own and everybody else. LOYALTY bleeds purple and gold. How many statues of former Celtics sit outside the arena? How many were extended contracts like Magic and Kobe were by the Lakers because of their LOYALTY? In this day and age, where business can be cruel, the Buss family has shown its "employees" what it means to "talk the talk and walk the walk".

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trojan, I am merely pointing out that Lebron took less so as to win rings. He could have taken more and been stuck on a team that could only sign perhaps one more star level talent. His choice was winning, not the money.

I agree and acknowledged that Lebron took less to win titles. I also pointed out that Lebron HAD to take less. We don't know if Kobe would have taken less when he signed his current contract (the one that is expiring, not the extension) because he didn't have to in order to win titles.

Basically, Lebron and Kobe did the exact same thing, they got paid as much as they could while still having a chance to win titles. Kobe was just fortunate enough to be in a position where he could get more than Lebron could.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you find it strange that you're the only one who always brings this up?

After Kobe signed this latest contract, did you read or hear any NBA writers or talking heads on TV say "LA has nothing to worry about financial wise. They can spend as much as they want because of their TV deal?"

All I hear or read is just the opposite. No mention of TV deal whatsoever.

Because they aren't talking about the Lakers finances, they are talking about the CBA. There is a difference. If there was no CBA or we were under the old CBA, the NBA writers would be talking all about the Lakers t.v. deal and how much they could spend.

The limits are there because of the CBA, not because of the amount of money that the Lakers have to spend.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Trojan: I know it's not the NCAA thread but any quick thoughts on the hiring of Sark/O's departure? My take is that Haden saw someone who is known to have a savyness on offense while having deep roots in SC glory years with Pete and strong recruiting skills. I was saddened that O didn't get the gig though as he embodied what the players certainly savored and appreciated from a HC. Bittersweet day in Trojan Nation.