• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe & Lakers Agree To Extension

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When even Lakers fans criticize the deal u know it's terrible

Well first of all they should have waited til Kobe was a free agent - then they could have signed to big time agents and went over the cap. Now they are limited. On ESPN - we used to call the guys that thought Kobe could do nothing wrong KLF's - short for Kobe Loving Faggots(or fuckers). Even those morons would have to admit that this signing was bad. 12.5 million at the best. Atleast he came down a bit in his salary though - 24 mil is not as bad as 30 even though it's still too much

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price is too high. 15 to 18 mil is fair market value and that's under the assumption he can come back off injury and play like he has. I think he can but that's beside the point. There's no rush to do the extension. At least let him play first to see what you've got.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for the Lakers getting Melo and Lebron this offseason. Good job Buss!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just unbelievable

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how Lakers brass has rewarded their superstar players over the years.....including Magic given a $25 million gentleman's agreement which was above and beyond his contract. TW Cable contract at $5 billion over 20 yrs allows them to do so.

Say what you will, I do agree that NO athlete should command this type of contract knowing their best years are behind them/coming off a major injury. Then again these are the Lakers and, if Doc Buss were still with us, he'd have inked Kobe without pause.

To the critics that are looking down on this, there's such a thing as loyalty from employer to employee and just how often does that happen in today's corporate America when it's usually a pink slip that is handed out or a pin to commemorate your 20 years with the company, to a loyal employee.

If he comes back and becomes just a role player next 2 years then they'll have to live with the contract, plain and simple. Will they be hurting financially, doubt it. Will he help recruit another superstar FA, time will tell.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ensures the Lakers won't be winning titles in the next 3 yrs

this coming from a chump who predicted we'd start the season with a 5-10 record....

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK I see the point of giving Kobe all that money. He has been the face of that franchise and he deserves that money for all the money that he has made that organization and every one knows I think the owners make too much.

That being said he doesn't need the money and he clearly doesn't care if the Lakers are good for another year.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be curious if you polled all the teams' GM's and they were in a similar financial state as the Lakers, if they were to ink him to similar $$?

As correctly stated, he's been the face of the franchise and he deserves it for all the money he's made the Lakers. The owners can spend $ anyway they see fit. To you and me, it's too much money for anyone but we don't have the stockpiles that Lakers ownership seems to have and/or believes Kobe is worth giving that type of $ at this stage of his career.

It's a gamble but since when have the Buss clan not rolled the dice?? I'll take their percentages over the years seeing what it has brought us in terms of rings and take our chances. The Howard/Nash experiment didn't work and we'll see how this contract will do next two years.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is more than worth the money. I said he shouldn't take a pay cut, the Lakers should pay luxury taxes before they cut Kobe's salary, Kobe has raked in tons of money for the Lakers franchise and will continue to do so.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bam... Kobe has proven his worth and deserves the money... Kobe's biggest weakness isn't shooting too much, it's expecting people to do what they are expected to do... He's going all out to come back for this team, they should do the same... It's a high price, but as of the last day on the job he was a top 5 player... As of what I saw in practice, he's on his way back...:nod:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lakersusc You are taking Dr. Buss's percentages and applying them to Short Buss who has done nothing but prove he is a moron. He has a mullet FFS.

And no I do not believe that other franchises would have done the same. They would have resigned him but they would not have given him $48m and sacrificed any chance of bringing in the top talent that is going to be available over the next few years.

My only issue with Kobe taking that money is that it hand cuffs the Lakers. I guess he gave up on that other ring or maybe is that arrogant.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe is more than worth the money. I said he shouldn't take a pay cut, the Lakers should pay luxury taxes before they cut Kobe's salary, Kobe has raked in tons of money for the Lakers franchise and will continue to do so.

Totally agree, but we can still make fun of the Lakers for the next 3 years as that will be the next time the Lakers even have a shot at winning.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cant stop laughing at these moves. With this, the Nash move, and the Howard bungle they have completely loss control of a plan. 8 draft picks given away, a payroll of vets over 35 who cost them over $40M next few years.......just those two, not including Gasol.

this is exactly why Howard left. There is no logic in that org

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard left because he has the mind of a 13 year old girl, with similar emotions.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To all Lakers fans who want to stand on their pedestal and preach about how the Lakers are loyal you might want to look over how much money Bryant has earned from the Lakers already. It's great that your organization is so loyal. But you might want to take a look at the ramifications that Kobe's contract will do with the CBA and your ability to add free agents.

Lebron is currently experiencing this issue in Miami. He had to leave money on the table so that they could add other pieces to make the Heat competitive and have a shot at the title year in and year out. If Lebron were to sign with the Lakers, you think he's really going to want to make considerably less than Kobe? If so, I got beach property in Alaska to sell you. If you have Kobe and Lebron on the same team, you leave yourself as a franchise very little wiggle room to add any other players.

Counting this year's contract, Kobe's career earnings in the NBA alone have netted him $279 million dollars:

Kobe Bryant NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

His situation is nowhere near Jordan's who deserved his two $30 million annual contract after playing for an average salary since the Bulls didn't want to pay him. Kobe Bryant was a great player for the Lakers and certainly help build and maintain the Lakers brand. But spare me with this whole Kobe's entitled to this money. You make it sound like he was playing for peanuts.

As a Heat fan I'm thrilled though. In no way can I see Lebron going to Cleveland or LA now.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry fellow Laker fans, but as much as I love him in purp and gold, a 35 yr old Kobe Bryant isn't worth 48 mil over the next 2 seasons imo. You don't give big contracts based off of legacy...and if Dr Buss were here, I'd bet the HOUSE that he would NOT have given THIS type of contract. When Shaq was aging, he stood on his belief that he would NOT give Shaq 30 mil a year. Imo, JERRY Buss would of talked Kobe down to a more reasonable amount. Now that Kobe's contract is at an still astronomical amount, we're looking at trying to sign just ONE of these big free agents now. Just look at it like this....if we sign Kobe to way less, we can make a run at Melo AND K Love in the future. Now, we're looking at TRYING to get Melo OR Love. I'd say either are possible, but it's an uphill climb to say the least. Lastly, the other reason this ticks me off is....who were they bidding against? They literally were bidding against themselves. Logically, no other team was giving him this money

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But let me just make this clear.....I personally think that Kobe is going to come back and BALL OUT. I think he is driven to prove people wrong and I can't wait to see it......however, 23 and 25 mil is not reasonable imo

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But let me just make this clear.....I personally think that Kobe is going to come back and BALL OUT. I think he is driven to prove people wrong and I can't wait to see it......however, 23 and 25 mil is not reasonable imo

Buss did the right thing by making the offer.
Kobe made him an astronomical amount of money.
He, out of respect wanted to make sure Kobe retired a Laker and was the leagues highest paid player.

Kobe, if he truly was most concerned about winning, should have acknowledged and thanked him for the offer, but then said that he would play for for maybe a 1/3 of what he will be getting.

They should have made some type of handshake deal to just make him some high paid executive once he does retire.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Doctor is rolling in his grave.