• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe & Lakers Agree To Extension

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff about loyalty and how the Lakers can afford it because they're stupid rich (they are) is really irrelevant. Sure, that allows them to get the deal done and it doesn't really hurt them in a way it would destroy a team like say Milwaukee. But what it does do is severely limit roster flexibility for the next 2 years. What makes it a bad deal is it didn't have to be this way. First off, no team was going to come close to paying that price for Kobe so LA bid against themselves. Secondly, even if Kobe entered FA, how many teams would offer max dollars? And of those teams, hardly any would be serious threats (unless you think Kobe would sign with Cleveland or Phoenix, if you do then you well...:L ). LA could have set the price between 15 and 18 mil, still top dollar if you look around the league for all stars that are off their rookie deals. That's still a fair contract that also leaves wiggle room to fit in two other top players with some creative cap work.

This deal only leaves room for one. And if its Melo, they're toast. Melo is the type of player whose game is not going to age well. The backhalf of his max deal will be even worse than what people are so upset with Kobe's deal is now. Except Melo is actually more of the albatross many people say Kobe is (selfish, me first, doesn't make people better, etc etc) Really, the best course of action would be to sign midlevel players or Danny Granger types to 2 year deals (so they expire the same time as Kobe) as well and then hope to take advantage of some trades at a later date. You can use the cap rules to go way over and get the players you want a lot easier that way than it will be to sign them outright (damn near impossible if they max out another player and way harder than it should be right now).

Last edited by a moderator:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you Horns, people are acting like Kobe's going to limp all over the court. When he comes back he's going to be 100 and he's coming off of a great 2013 campaign.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cant stop laughing at these moves. With this, the Nash move, and the Howard bungle they have completely loss control of a plan. 8 draft picks given away, a payroll of vets over 35 who cost them over $40M next few years.......just those two, not including Gasol.

this is exactly why Howard left. There is no logic in that org

I'll take the way the Lakers have run their organization over the way the Celtics have run theirs for the past 25 years any day of the week.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look they signed him to this contract because he is a big reason why the franchise is going to get over $5 billion dollars for the next 20 years. People always complain when Sports teams treat their players like trash and don't show any loyalty. The Lakers are showing loyalty and class to one of their greatest players of all time. Besides they know, deep down, that these next few years of free agents aren't anything to get excited about (LeBron isn't coming, Melo is overrated) so they Keep Kobe and give the fans something to watch until they can go after Durant, Love, Westbrook, Kyrie etc

People don't realize this is a business move as much if not more than a basketball move.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look they signed him to this contract because he is a big reason why the franchise is going to get over $5 billion dollars for the next 20 years. People always complain when Sports teams treat their players like trash and don't show any loyalty. The Lakers are showing loyalty and class to one of their greatest players of all time. Besides they know, deep down, that these next few years of free agents aren't anything to get excited about (LeBron isn't coming, Melo is overrated) so they Keep Kobe and give the fans something to watch until they can go after Durant, Love, Westbrook, Kyrie etc

People don't realize this is a business move as much if not more than a basketball move.

My complaint is that the Dodgers had a fantastic chance to rebuild the Lakers with Kobe and Gasol as the centerpiece, but cheaper. $24 million is more then a third of the total salary cap and sucks the life out of the possibilities. If they wanted to agree, then they should have considered their options for the summer and worked something out that helped in the area. I understand what Kobe is and his importance but Buss pulled the trigger way to fast in my book - Business is Business first

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff about loyalty and how the Lakers can afford it because they're stupid rich (they are) is really irrelevant. Sure, that allows them to get the deal done and it doesn't really hurt them in a way it would destroy a team like say Milwaukee. But what it does do is severely limit roster flexibility for the next 2 years. What makes it a bad deal is it didn't have to be this way. First off, no team was going to come close to paying that price for Kobe so LA bid against themselves. Secondly, even if Kobe entered FA, how many teams would offer max dollars? And of those teams, hardly any would be serious threats (unless you think Kobe would sign with Cleveland or Phoenix, if you do then you well...:L ). LA could have set the price between 15 and 18 mil, still top dollar if you look around the league for all stars that are off their rookie deals. That's still a fair contract that also leaves wiggle room to fit in two other top players with some creative cap work.

This deal only leaves room for one. And if its Melo, they're toast. Melo is the type of player whose game is not going to age well. The backhalf of his max deal will be even worse than what people are so upset with Kobe's deal is now. Except Melo is actually more of the albatross many people say Kobe is (selfish, me first, doesn't make people better, etc etc) Really, the best course of action would be to sign midlevel players or Danny Granger types to 2 year deals (so they expire the same time as Kobe) as well and then hope to take advantage of some trades at a later date. You can use the cap rules to go way over and get the players you want a lot easier that way than it will be to sign them outright (damn near impossible if they max out another player and way harder than it should be right now).

:agree:

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My complaint is that the Dodgers had a fantastic chance to rebuild the Lakers with Kobe and Gasol as the centerpiece, but cheaper. $24 million is more then a third of the total salary cap and sucks the life out of the possibilities. If they wanted to agree, then they should have considered their options for the summer and worked something out that helped in the area. I understand what Kobe is and his importance but Buss pulled the trigger way to fast in my book - Business is Business first

2000-2010:

10 Years
7 Finals
5 Championships

Kobe Bryant.

This was a statement signing. The Lakers did it for Magic. They did it for Kareem. They did it for Kobe. It shows the next superstar that the Lakers take care of their own.

If you don't think that is important, and we need to show him the door to bring in new talent - why don't you ask the Chicago Bulls how that worked out for them?

After 6 rings, they pushed MJ, Pippen and Phil out. What superstar with an alpha mentality wants to play for a team that so easily dishonors the legacy of a championship career?

There's a reason why Kobe will have a 20 year career, with the same team. Not even MJ can say that.

Thanks Lakers, for showing again why this franchise is the best in sports.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is 2000-2010 is the past and ended nearly 5 years ago Laker boy.

The posts about how the Lakers are loyal etc are a smoke screen statement. They were not loyal to Shaq.

If there is so much loyalty being spread around why did Kobe, despite heading towards 40 by contract end demand the highest salary?

he already has $250M from the Lakers. How about taking less money and helping the fans get the rebuild moving.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The posts about how the Lakers are loyal etc are a smoke screen statement. They were not loyal to Shaq.

If there is so much loyalty being spread around why did Kobe, despite heading towards 40 by contract end demand the highest salary?

he already has $250M from the Lakers. How about taking less money and helping the fans get the rebuild moving.

1st who say'e he demanded the highest salary, did he go up to Jim & Mitch personally & say i demand 48.5 million for the next 2 season's ?? the answer is NO it was the front office decision to offer him that money

Shaq was great but he was lazy also & embarrassed Dr. Buss by demanding money when he was already IMO done..it was a smart move to move him

2nd. You are forgetting that the Lakers have a new contract with Time Warner cable worth 5 billion dollars they are committed to fill up those Laker seats & TV ratings...Kobe is a cash machine for the Lakers & they will make alot of money in return & whatever 250$$ he has already made well it's well deserved, you make it seem like if the Lakers are about to go bankrupt & file for chapter 11...LMAO!

I'm not saying they should of gave him that contract but i understand it also & let's be realistic here LB & Melo are not coming here the best thing to do is sign Kobe now then to let him walk...or see no fans go to Staples Center...FACT!!

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2000-2010:

10 Years
7 Finals
5 Championships

Kobe Bryant.

This was a statement signing. The Lakers did it for Magic. They did it for Kareem. They did it for Kobe. It shows the next superstar that the Lakers take care of their own.

If you don't think that is important, and we need to show him the door to bring in new talent - why don't you ask the Chicago Bulls how that worked out for them?

After 6 rings, they pushed MJ, Pippen and Phil out. What superstar with an alpha mentality wants to play for a team that so easily dishonors the legacy of a championship career?

There's a reason why Kobe will have a 20 year career, with the same team. Not even MJ can say that.

Thanks Lakers, for showing again why this franchise is the best in sports.
[/QUOTE]

Times have changed. Rules have changed.

This isn't that hard, Kobe obviously chose a lot of cash vs a potential chance for ring 6 ( which was a major long shot) anyway, and he knew that.

Maybe the Lakers should have signed there new TV deal with the history channel because all Laker fans do now is talk about there past.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,203.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know Lakers may be happy with this signing but now they dont have any cap room to sign other players do they?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They do have a ton of cap room regardless of the false notion.
They can sign 1 "Class A" free agent in 1 year or possibly 2 in 2015. Even with this deal the Lakers will be amongst the teams with the most cap space.

2. Teams hardly ever signs multiple top tier free agents
How many teams outside of Miami have been able to sign 2 "class A" free agents in the same season over the last 30 years? It rarely if ever happens. Maybe Orland in 2000?

2. Kobe is a 1st team all-NBA player in 2013 getting paid fair market price.
If he plays at near that level, that is the going price. They did not give 25 million to a roleplayer.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This deal basically delays the rebuild by a year or two. I think the front office understands that they aren't getting Lebron next summer, nor Carmelo. I don't think Carmelo will even be pursued given his current salary level (assuming he wants a max extension). I can see a sort of lost season next year with a payroll below the luxury tax threshold in order to avoid the repeater tax penalties. The Lakers will still be financially successful with Kobe still being a huge draw. Then come the summers of 2015 and 2016 when players like Love and Westbrook will be available.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know Lakers may be happy with this signing but now they dont have any cap room to sign other players do they?

They will still have at least $20 million available this summer. There is certainly less flexibility now, but they do still have cap room. I don't think the summer of 2014 is when they hit big on the free agent market.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They absolutely were loyal to Shaq, Shaq was not loyal to the Lakers. Dr. Buss had every intention of re-signing Shaq until Shaq started acting the fool. The final straw was when Shaq dunked in a pre-season game and then screamed at Dr. Buss "You gonna pay me now". That essentially put Dr. Buss in a position to have to choose between Shaq and Kobe, so Dr. Buss rightfully chose the younger more versatile player. If Shaq had been patient and acted like a professional, he would have been given a deal similar to what Kobe just got and would have retired a Laker instead of bouncing around the league stealing money from the likes of the Cavs, Suns and Celtics.

You're so desperate for the Lakers future to be as bleak as the Celtics that you are seriously reaching. This contract isn't exactly the Angels signing Pujols to a 10 year deal. It leaves room for the Lakers to add a max player and some solid role players around Kobe in 2014 or 2015 and then another max player in 2016 when Kobe's contract comes off the books.

As we've seen with the Heat (and the Lakers in the past), you can alwaysa fine very good veteran players who are willing to take less to chase a ring. A championship contender can always find a Ray Allen!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st who say'e he demanded the highest salary, did he go up to Jim & Mitch personally & say i demand 48.5 million for the next 2 season's ?? the answer is NO it was the front office decision to offer him that money

Shaq was great but he was lazy also & embarrassed Dr. Buss by demanding money when he was already IMO done..it was a smart move to move him

2nd. You are forgetting that the Lakers have a new contract with Time Warner cable worth 5 billion dollars they are committed to fill up those Laker seats & TV ratings...Kobe is a cash machine for the Lakers & they will make alot of money in return & whatever 250$$ he has already made well it's well deserved, you make it seem like if the Lakers are about to go bankrupt & file for chapter 11...LMAO!

I'm not saying they should of gave him that contract but i understand it also & let's be realistic here LB & Melo are not coming here the best thing to do is sign Kobe now then to let him walk...or see no fans go to Staples Center...FACT!!

Exactly!! As Kobe said, there was no negotiation. That was the Lakers offer and Kobe accepted.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what does an LA Times reporter or anyone else in the media know about the Lakers' strategy and why they paid him the way they did??

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They do have a ton of cap room regardless of the false notion.
They can sign 1 "Class A" free agent in 1 year or possibly 2 in 2015. Even with this deal the Lakers will be amongst the teams with the most cap space.

2. Teams hardly ever signs multiple top tier free agents
How many teams outside of Miami have been able to sign 2 "class A" free agents in the same season over the last 30 years? It rarely if ever happens. Maybe Orland in 2000?

2. Kobe is a 1st team all-NBA player in 2013 getting paid fair market price.
If he plays at near that level, that is the going price. They did not give 25 million to a roleplayer.

:agree: Well stated.