• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe confirms he is not at Jordans level with a tweet.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you guys seemed confused. Kobe was not a leader so it did not matter what he thought Shaq should or should not do. He didn't have the influence necessary to convince Shaq to see it his way. He was the second option and not in a position to command anything of Shaq. Its a glaring example of his lack of a likeable personality and leadership skills.

Actually, it is you who are confused. What Kobe thought, did matter. Kobe was the "heir apparent" to be the Lakers next leader and everyone knew it. The issues between Shaq and Kobe didn't start to surface until Kobe started to have more of a voice in the locker room.

Additionally, you seem to think that MJ walking into that same Laker locker room as a rookie, would somehow be able to inspire Shaq where Kobe couldn't. MJ entered the league with no more (maybe even less) fanfare than Kobe did. To assume that Shaq would have somehow listened to a younger and not yet established MJ when he didn't Kobe, is you making assumptions based on what you WANT to be true.

Simply put, Shaq was the alpha at that time and didn't even begin to consider being a 2nd option until he went to Miami. Therefore, he wasn't listening to anyone!!

This also speaks to the immaturity of Shaq as one would think that as a superstar and leader, he would be willing to listen to anyone that had an idea that would help him improve. After all, a good idea is a good idea, regardless of where it comes from.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a result of Shaq responding to Kobes aloof demeanor in a negative way. My question is what makes Kobe any different than any other rookie? Jordan went through rookie hazing as well.

Well everyone doesn't respond the same way to being called out of their name

Thats my whole point. Different people different personalities. Different leadership skills = different results.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree. Shaqs actions proved Kobes viewpoint did not count. If Kobe wanted to influence Shaq he needed to have Shaq ear. Since Shaq was the #1 option Kobe being difficult to deal with personally created an atmosphere where Shaq probably resisted any effort to even appear to conform with what Kobe wanted. In other words Kobe was trying to influence the number #1 option who basically proved Kobes viewpoint meant diddly to him.

Apparently, neither did the viewpoints of Laker coaches, trainers and ownership all of whom encouraged him to work on his game and get treatment in the off-season. I know you want to make this about Kobe, but at the end of the day, it's more about Shaq!!

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I concede you may have a point about selling books. I pose this question however. How many books would be sold if he sided with Kobe?

It wouldn't have the same effect unless he just definitely took Kobe like he did Jordan. If he would've given that 2008 response in the book, I don't think it would've had the same effect.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it started in Kobe's rookie year. This is well documented. Also, I'm not defending Kobe for doing what he did to Shaq, that wasn't cool.....but then again, I can't defend some of the things Shaq said about Kobe.
. So it's started in kobe rookie season? Yet they were celebrating and hugging winning those championships after. Whatever Shaq said about kobe after that fucked up sellout shit he pulled. Kobe deserves every bit of it. He should had gotten an ass whooping from Shaq as well.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it is you who are confused. What Kobe thought, did matter. Kobe was the "heir apparent" to be the Lakers next leader and everyone knew it. The issues between Shaq and Kobe didn't start to surface until Kobe started to have more of a voice in the locker room.

Additionally, you seem to think that MJ walking into that same Laker locker room as a rookie, would somehow be able to inspire Shaq where Kobe couldn't. MJ entered the league with no more (maybe even less) fanfare than Kobe did. To assume that Shaq would have somehow listened to a younger and not yet established MJ when he didn't Kobe, is you making assumptions based on what you WANT to be true.

Simply put, Shaq was the alpha at that time and didn't even begin to consider being a 2nd option until he went to Miami. Therefore, he wasn't listening to anyone!!

This also speaks to the immaturity of Shaq as one would think that as a superstar and leader, he would be willing to listen to anyone that had an idea that would help him improve. After all, a good idea is a good idea, regardless of where it comes from.
I think I'm pretty coherent about this. If Kobe wants to influence someone what he thinks does not mean anything if he is not in a position to make it happen. You are confused on who had more weight at the time.

I would say MJ entered the league with way more fanfare than Kobe. Where were you when the draft happened? I idolized Jordan when he was at NC as did many people my age.

Shaq didnt listen because Kobe didnt know how to influence him to listen. Again not his fault but if you combine that with Kobes personality you have an issue.

I agree Shaq was immature but how many people actually listen to someone that they dont really like that much?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, neither did the viewpoints of Laker coaches, trainers and ownership all of whom encouraged him to work on his game and get treatment in the off-season. I know you want to make this about Kobe, but at the end of the day, it's more about Shaq!!
Actually the quotes I am talking about are in regard to Kobe not Shaq. You're trying to make this about Shaq. Kobe is his own man. So no this not more about Shaq.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he hadnt retired to go play baseball he would have won those two years too, with whomever was on the team.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. So it's started in kobe rookie season? Yet they were celebrating and hugging winning those championships after.

Winning solves everything, and everybody is all "buddy,buddy" when they're winning titles

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't even think that will qualify as a book. From Shaq's book to Phil's 2 books, I bet Kobe's book will be no story, only quotes slamming Phil and Shaq, and "oh yeah we won 3 titles by the way".

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he hadnt retired to go play baseball he would have won those two years too, with whomever was on the team.

:laugh3:
:hellno:
:ss:
:loco2:

even if that was true, the fact is he did "retire". I will always have retire in sarcasm quotes in reference to Jordans retirement because I do not think it was voluntary.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant wait to hear Kobes HOF acceptance speech. Hopefully he will not try to emulate Jordan in that aspect.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:
:hellno:
:ss:
:loco2:

even if that was true, the fact is he did "retire". I will always have retire in sarcasm quotes in reference to Jordans retirement because I do not think it was voluntary.
I thought he retired because his pops was killed and they had spoke about Jordan attemptin g to play pro baseball?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why was there so much memorabilia on his pops persons?

Jordan is addicted to gambling or was.

Do we really think Jordan was above Pete Rosing?

Jordan was Sterns cash cow. He was the best in an era lacking greats. He was more publicized than any one before him, and after him until Lebron.

Do we really think Stern is above doing what ever it took to keep the NBA at the forefront of american sports?

But clearly Jordan needed to be punished but if the public found our about pete rosing (or something similar) then Jordan and all that fame and success he brought would turned immediately around on the NBA in an era where there was no other stars to carry the league.

The NBA would have never recovered from that. Maybe even Kobe or Wade or Lebron decide to play a different sport?

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously that is all speculation but for a player supposedly so determined and driven to win, it does not make much sense for him to walk away from the only thing he was great at. The game that he worked his entire life at.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously that is all speculation but for a player supposedly so determined and driven to win, it does not make much sense for him to walk away from the only thing he was great at. The game that he worked his entire life at.
I'm pretty sure its just speculation. Have you ever had anyone you were close to get murdered? I'm pretty sure that Jordan playing baseball in honor of what his father wanted was the real of it. Like you said there weren't anymore players that could challenge Jordan at the time.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I have never had a close person in my life murdered I have had several close friends die prematurely. Each one has been a life changing event in some way. Every one will react differently to a situation but...

This has a lot more detailed information of the events.

Wanna Be Like Mike? - The Fix Is In