• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe Bryant

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really did. That's what makes these "farewell tours" fun. Fans who have booed a guy for his whole career, show how much they appreciate what he brought to the game.

Yep! Even without the "farewell tour", places like D.C. and Atlanta always had like 40% Lakers fans in the crowd.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers roster is a mess. To many guys that just want to go one on one or jack up stupid shots. Play the young guys and Kobe Bryant please retire. You were great but I have had enough. Luke Walton the Lakers next coach. Jim Bus has to go as well.
I just don't understand why people think Luke would walk away from the Warriors to coach a star-less Lakers team next season. :scratch::noidea:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that because of the 20 years in the league or because he was better then he looked though? I'm not the only one who thought he was a bit of a ball hog. I appreciate what he has done for the Lakers though and every player has had his weaknesses, so Kobe wasn't the best passer ever, but he is in the top twenty ever.
I'm pretty sure just being in the league 20 years doesn't somehow automatically mean players accumulate assists...much less pop up on an "all-time" list. I'm willing to bet Kobe had to actually PASS the ball & the ball go through the hoop to be counted as an assist. :L

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His time as a top player is over but if he was like Pierce he'd gladly come off the bench for the next 5 years.
By glady come off the bench you mean jump team to team & hitch his old wagon to the young bucks and try to win on their backs?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why people think Luke would walk away from the Warriors to coach a star-less Lakers team next season. :scratch::noidea:

Because it's a head coaching job with the NBA's "glamour franchise." I don't think anyone doubts that the Lakers will eventually get back in the title hunt and will eventually land and/or develop a star player or 2 to build around.

What current assistant wouldn't want to become the HC that returned the Lakers to glory? Especially if they are a former Laker themselves.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's a head coaching job with the NBA's "glamour franchise." I don't think anyone doubts that the Lakers will eventually get back in the title hunt and will eventually land and/or develop a star player or 2 to build around.

What current assistant wouldn't want to become the HC that returned the Lakers to glory? Especially if they are a former Laker themselves.
I get the appeal...if they had players that were already developed and had the capabilities of what you're talking about. We all know the patience of owners to win in this league is equivalent to a toddler's attention span. Luke could be out of a job in less than two years if he decided to jump ship.
IMO sitting as assistant to the HC in the Bay is waaaay more attractive right now.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle and Clarkson are going to be very good players in the future.
Yes, I certainly see that potential.
But, Luke is having success now and leaving there to go coach the Lakers would be a regression imo.

I would agree the Lakers HC job would be attractive to a new coach that hasn't had a taste of success like the Warriors are having now. I'm just hoping the right coach comes along soon and they don't miss out on it because of being obligated to Byron.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I certainly see that potential.
But, Luke is having success now and leaving there to go coach the Lakers would be a regression imo.

I would agree the Lakers HC job would be attractive to a new coach that hasn't had a taste of success like the Warriors are having now. I'm just hoping the right coach comes along soon and they don't miss out on it because of being obligated to Byron.

It depends on what Luke wants. If he's fine with earning a few rings as an assistant, then more power to him. But if he wants to be a head coach then the Lakers job has to be appealing, especially if they end up keeping their top 3 pick. Compare the Lakers recent draft picks to a team like the Cavs, which became appealing to LBJ despite a couple of busts that were drafted, then the Lakers should be appealing to a coach like Luke who won his rings as a player under the Lakers.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on what Luke wants. If he's fine with earning a few rings as an assistant, then more power to him. But if he wants to be a head coach then the Lakers job has to be appealing, especially if they end up keeping their top 3 pick. Compare the Lakers recent draft picks to a team like the Cavs, which became appealing to LBJ despite a couple of busts that were drafted, then the Lakers should be appealing to a coach like Luke who won his rings as a player under the Lakers.
I see your point, and might agree if Luke didn't already have rings of his own as a player. I just don't think he's desperate to win in any capacity because he's already done it as a player and is now part of another winning team as a coach, albeit an assistant coach.

I think he's in a really good position right now. Because the Warriors are winning under his watch - even though he isn't getting the credit for the wins- that will earn him the ability to pick and choose when the time is right. He can sit back and wait for an opportunity; somewhat like Kerr's experience and begin his head coaching career that way.

But, building from a new beginning and seeing it through to a championship would be an awesome accomplishment and will cement his ability to coach in this league. It's a tough decision if you look at it from both sides of the coin.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah there were a couple of busts sandwiched in between KYRIE IRVING AND ANDREW WIGGINS. Teams can draft in the top 5 time after time after time and not get ONE guy that has that type of talent- let alone 2. I think Randle, Clarkson and Russell all have talent- but none have Irving or Wiggins talent.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah there were a couple of busts sandwiched in between KYRIE IRVING AND ANDREW WIGGINS. Teams can draft in the top 5 time after time after time and not get ONE guy that has that type of talent- let alone 2. I think Randle, Clarkson and Russell all have talent- but none have Irving or Wiggins talent.

Right, Randle getting 15 and 19 last night with a very limited skill set is just a fluke. Clarkson has better stats than Wiggins this year. Take the homer-goggles off, bro.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, Randle getting 15 and 19 last night with a very limited skill set is just a fluke. Clarkson has better stats than Wiggins this year. Take the homer-goggles off, bro.
Are you totally and completely insane?

If a GM traded Wiggns OR Irving for Clarkson AND RANDLE together they would get laughed out of the profession.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are just jerking his chain -- right ? Wiggins is averaging over 22ppg -- and he is a lot more than just a points guy. I like Clarks -- but Wiggins is better and will keep improving.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irving was asked about Bryant today:

Kyrie Irving was one of a handful of younger players whom Kobe Bryant name-checked in his news conference Sunday as he was elaborating on his announcement that he would be retiring after this season.

Bryant’s message was that through Irving, and others, he will be leaving the game of basketball in good hands.

It turns out that Bryant was someone Irving turned to during the 2014-15 playoffs when the Cleveland Cavaliers star was dealing with a bad knee.

“During the Chicago series he was the first person I called when I had my knee issues,” said Irving, who initially tweaked his knee in the first round against Boston and eventually required surgery to repair a fractured left kneecap suffered in Game 1 of the NBA Finals against the Warriors. “I asked him a few things. He knew a little bit about [Tom] Thibodeau's defense and how they are going to corral me and what they are going to do knowing I’m hurt, and he just told me how to be more effective in the scoring areas as well as on the defensive end. We talked for about 30 minutes and he gave me as great a talk as I needed at that time. I was in a terrible mental space, knowing I couldn’t be as effective as I wanted to be. He was the first person I called and we’ve had a great dialogue over the last few years, so it’s been great.”

After he scored a career-high 57 points in San Antonio last season, he credited Bryant for showing him the form that led to his game-tying shot that sent the game to overtime. "As long as my elbow's pointed at the rim, I feel like it has a great chance to go in," he said. "I learned that from Kobe Bryant.”

“That’s something that we all would try to emulate. That competitiveness comes with that emotion, and it translates out on the floor. You can see it even when talking in interviews. I’ve been watching interviews of Kobe since I was about 12 years old or 13, and you could just feel it in the camera when he’s looking at it. When he went down with his Achilles injury, you could just tell in his face that we weren’t there when he was shooting or running up and down the court to get 35 [points] per game, but he was putting his team in position to win and doing everything possible that no one was even aware of. All we could do was guess what he was doing, putting greatness out there on the floor. To me that was something great to see. I try to emulate that and take things from his game and turn it into my own. But he’s Kobe Bryant. There’s not going to be anybody like him.”

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you totally and completely insane?

If a GM traded Wiggns OR Irving for Clarkson AND RANDLE together they would get laughed out of the profession.

I'm sure your fanboy mind thinks that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure your fanboy mind thinks that.
its just common sense.

You dont trade guys with that kind of talent - for 4 year college players.

Just a little PERSPECTIVE for ya there bud.

Kyrie Irving is about 2 and half months older than Jordan Clarkson. Kyrie Irving has absolute ELITE talent- comes out is #1 overall.

At age 23 has 3 all star games on his resume-

Ya know how many guys in the league made the all star team at the age of 20?
1. Kobe
2. LeBron
3. Shaq
4. Garnett
5. Isiah
6. Magic
7. KYRIE IRVING

When Clarkson was in his second year at TULSA. Yah...Kyrie Irving is dealing with double teams in the NBA since the Cavs suck 18.5 pts, 5.4 assists 3.7 rebounds on 47% shooting- and Clarkson is going for 16.5 pts, 3.9 boards and 2.3 assists on 43.5% shooting AT TULSA.

When Kyrie was winning the Rookie of the Year Award, and Rising Stars game MVP, Clarkson was still at Tulsa thinking about transferring to Mizzou.

When Kyrie Irving was STARTING THE ALL STAR GAME AND WINNING THE ALL STAR GAME MVP- Clarkson was averagiing 17.5 pts a game at Mizzou.

Clarkson looks to be a probably solid rotation guy- who can score very efficiently, doesnt really have a whole lot of playmaking ability for others, has good size, can handle the ball in a pinch- (but not be your starting PG). I like Clarkson as a player and have posted as much this year.

YOU SIMPLY CANT COMPARE HIM TO GUYS LIKE WIGGINS AND IRVING. Guys who are possible FRANCHISE players who have/will likely make multiple multiple all star games.

Andrew Wiggins is 20 years old averagining 22 a night - 10th in the league- shooting about 44% with athleticism that is INSANE. Thats about a sure-fire all star as you can get.

The whole game is to get THOSE type of guys- as much as I like Randle, and Clarkson- I suppose its more possible for Randle to make a couple all star games- but at Guard? Clarkson doesnt have a prayer. He just doesnt have that next level talent.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irving was asked about Bryant today:

Kyrie Irving was one of a handful of younger players whom Kobe Bryant name-checked in his news conference Sunday as he was elaborating on his announcement that he would be retiring after this season.

Bryant’s message was that through Irving, and others, he will be leaving the game of basketball in good hands.

It turns out that Bryant was someone Irving turned to during the 2014-15 playoffs when the Cleveland Cavaliers star was dealing with a bad knee.

“During the Chicago series he was the first person I called when I had my knee issues,” said Irving, who initially tweaked his knee in the first round against Boston and eventually required surgery to repair a fractured left kneecap suffered in Game 1 of the NBA Finals against the Warriors. “I asked him a few things. He knew a little bit about [Tom] Thibodeau's defense and how they are going to corral me and what they are going to do knowing I’m hurt, and he just told me how to be more effective in the scoring areas as well as on the defensive end. We talked for about 30 minutes and he gave me as great a talk as I needed at that time. I was in a terrible mental space, knowing I couldn’t be as effective as I wanted to be. He was the first person I called and we’ve had a great dialogue over the last few years, so it’s been great.”

After he scored a career-high 57 points in San Antonio last season, he credited Bryant for showing him the form that led to his game-tying shot that sent the game to overtime. "As long as my elbow's pointed at the rim, I feel like it has a great chance to go in," he said. "I learned that from Kobe Bryant.”

“That’s something that we all would try to emulate. That competitiveness comes with that emotion, and it translates out on the floor. You can see it even when talking in interviews. I’ve been watching interviews of Kobe since I was about 12 years old or 13, and you could just feel it in the camera when he’s looking at it. When he went down with his Achilles injury, you could just tell in his face that we weren’t there when he was shooting or running up and down the court to get 35 [points] per game, but he was putting his team in position to win and doing everything possible that no one was even aware of. All we could do was guess what he was doing, putting greatness out there on the floor. To me that was something great to see. I try to emulate that and take things from his game and turn it into my own. But he’s Kobe Bryant. There’s not going to be anybody like him.”

Very cool. I love it when the young guys ask the older vets for advice, etc. MJ has talked several times about a young Kobe asking him questions even in the middle of games during free throws, etc. So much cool stuff goes on with these guys that we fans don't get to see. Thanks for posting that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool. I love it when the young guys ask the older vets for advice, etc. MJ has talked several times about a young Kobe asking him questions even in the middle of games during free throws, etc. So much cool stuff goes on with these guys that we fans don't get to see. Thanks for posting that.
welcome.

make no mistake- IF Kyrie ever decides to leave Cleveland down the line I would put a lot of money on him going to LAL if they were good at that point. His relationship with Kobe is really good. Kobe loves Kyrie's game -but more importantly loves his attitude and work ethic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome.

make no mistake- IF Kyrie ever decides to leave Cleveland down the line I would put a lot of money on him going to LAL if they were good at that point. His relationship with Kobe is really good. Kobe loves Kyrie's game -but more importantly loves his attitude and work ethic.

Yeah, I've heard Kobe praise him several times and has referred to him as his favorite young player. I hadn't heard that story you posted re: Kyrie reaching out to Kobe and them having developed a relationship.

I really hope Kyrie's injury troubles are behind him. I love watching him play.