• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Knicks on Brink of Civil War With 'Melo

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me that D-Fish is as qualified as anyone to right that ship.

Quite frankly I put the blame on Phil Jackson to begin with. I recall that he has never been all that great in the general management position and clashed several times or more with Jim Buss. Not that Jim was or is the brightest block, but Jackson wanted Kobe(the future face of the Lakers and the key to three more trips to the finals) to be traded. Phil also made comments about both Carmelo and Kobe being ball hogs and not being team players and yet he resigned a player that he clearly did not like that much just to save face with the Knicks organization when he should have thought about blowing the entire team up and rebuilding.

My second complaint with Phil if I had one would be more of his insisting on controlling the head coach which is why he chose Derek Fisher. Fisher never having been a coach has zero skills in standing up to the general manager and making similar demands that most coaches make. When Phil came to the Lakers I know he had them sign Ron Harper and I think he was responsible for bringing in Horace Grant and possibly Robert Horry. Fisher had no credentials or knowledge to know how to build that team and is stuck being a yes man for Phil and there lies the problem because the Triangle is an offense that slows the game down and the NBA runs to fast to be constricted to the triangle. There needs to be some pick and rolls, screens and variations with zone defense and other offenses. The triangle can be an option in many cases, but I don't think it should be the only option.

In short the Phil Jackson era is already on it's way to being the Titanic. I like Phi, but he is not a natural born gm

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite frankly I put the blame on Phil Jackson to begin with. I recall that he has never been all that great in the general management position and clashed several times or more with Jim Buss. Not that Jim was or is the brightest block, but Jackson wanted Kobe(the future face of the Lakers and the key to three more trips to the finals) to be traded. Phil also made comments about both Carmelo and Kobe being ball hogs and not being team players and yet he resigned a player that he clearly did not like that much just to save face with the Knicks organization when he should have thought about blowing the entire team up and rebuilding.

My second complaint with Phil if I had one would be more of his insisting on controlling the head coach which is why he chose Derek Fisher. Fisher never having been a coach has zero skills in standing up to the general manager and making similar demands that most coaches make. When Phil came to the Lakers I know he had them sign Ron Harper and I think he was responsible for bringing in Horace Grant and possibly Robert Horry. Fisher had no credentials or knowledge to know how to build that team and is stuck being a yes man for Phil and there lies the problem because the Triangle is an offense that slows the game down and the NBA runs to fast to be constricted to the triangle. There needs to be some pick and rolls, screens and variations with zone defense and other offenses. The triangle can be an option in many cases, but I don't think it should be the only option.

In short the Phil Jackson era is already on it's way to being the Titanic. I like Phi, but he is not a natural born gm

Nice assessment. :suds:

Tbh.....most Knicks' fans, along w/ the owner, Fisher, some of the players apparently...and even the zen master himself knew this season was gonna be more or less a wash....and the target to start anew was the 2015-16 season.
Trouble is, unfortunately....that "wash" has turned into a spiraling full on drowning mode, and no one saw it coming to the magnitude it's become.

Don't get me wrong....I don't blame fisher totally, but w/ this kind of dynamic...and the ensuing expectations looking ahead....a veteran, seasoned coach is the ideal person for this situation....not a novice, or a yes man or a below par x's & o's tactician.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice assessment. :suds:

Tbh.....most Knicks' fans, along w/ the owner, Fisher, some of the players apparently...and even the zen master himself knew this season was gonna be more or less a wash....and the target to start anew was the 2015-16 season.
Trouble is, unfortunately....that "wash" has turned into a spiraling full on drowning mode, and no one saw it coming to the magnitude it's become.

Don't get me wrong....I don't blame fisher totally, but w/ this kind of dynamic...and the ensuing expectations looking ahead....a veteran, seasoned coach is the ideal person for this situation....not a novice, or a yes man or a below par x's & o's tactician.

I agree, that they knew this season was going to be awash with the exception of signing Carmelo who by now has figured it out and is most likely pissed(I would be) that he is stuck on a bad team that is years away from being a contender. That is also why they wanted a loser like Fisher to be the head coach. A decent coach wouldn't take the job

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, that they knew this season was going to be awash with the exception of signing Carmelo who by now has figured it out and is most likely pissed(I would be) that he is stuck on a bad team that is years away from being a contender. That is also why they wanted a loser like Fisher to be the head coach. A decent coach wouldn't take the job

Actually Phil wanted Steve Kerr, but Kerr saw right through that smokescreen and did the pragmatic thing, and look how that's turned out. He could take a nap on the bench for most of the 2nd half in some of those games and the Dubs would still win. That being said...there are a few good veteran established HC's out there whose specialty is guiding and rebuilding and gaining the players' confidence...but some of them for whatever reason are apprehensive because of James Dolan, who can be a real prick of an owner.

It is what it is...but at the end of the day, I'm still gonna support and follow my team thru thick & thin no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Am I the only one, who read TLF post sometimes, and be like, what the hell are you talking about?

"I recall Phil has never been great in the general management position." Isn't this his first year?

"Phil was responsible in bring in Robert Horry." Really???

"Phil wanted Kobe traded." When??

"In short the Phil Jackson era is already on it's way to being the Titanic. I like Phi, but he is not a natural born gm." A quarter into his first season, and his ship is sinking already??? And who was born a natural bor GM?

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil singed Melo as a asset. Now the question for him is do I trade it for future assets.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad the Lakers didn't sign Melo! As for the roster, I hear it sucks but is it that much worse than the Lakers...? I'd say the Lakers team is far worse in fact...

As for Fish... I have no doubt Melo and Smith have zero respect for him, having played against him and knowing he was average... As a Lakers fan I agree Fish is a leader, but Kobe and KD would be the only Superstars I feel would listen to him so close to his retirement... Logic man is right, I think Melo may be out followed quickly by Jr Smith or vice versa... Those 2 guys will either ball out if your rolling or kill your team if youre not...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil singed Melo as a asset. Now the question for him is do I trade it for future assets.

Also if I recall, Phil basically didn't do much in terms of pursuing Melo... Seemed like he said "if he leaves he loses money and quit on NY"...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo never has played D. Even at the Cuse is was a team zone and he hadn't gotten paid yet. This dude is all about himself.

Can't believe Phil Jackson gave this guy money. It doesn't fit his perception of championship Bball. Gotta play D to it all.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one, who read TLF post sometimes, and be like, what the hell are you talking about?

"I recall Phil has never been great in the general management position." Isn't this his first year?

"Phil was responsible in bring in Robert Horry." Really???

"Phil wanted Kobe traded." When??

"In short the Phil Jackson era is already on it's way to being the Titanic. I like Phi, but he is not a natural born gm." A quarter into his first season, and his ship is sinking already??? And who was born a natural bor GM?

No you are not.

Horry was already on the Lakers. Even if Phil did bring him in, would that have been a bad thing?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hcE6H1LpaQ]Robert Horry beats the Sacramento Kings - YouTube[/ame]

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo never has played D. Even at the Cuse is was a team zone and he hadn't gotten paid yet. This dude is all about himself.

Can't believe Phil Jackson gave this guy money. It doesn't fit his perception of championship Bball. Gotta play D to it all.

Dolan LOVES! Melo. Gotta believe offering Melo the max was discussed before Phil signed on

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil tried to get him to take a less than max contract initially.

He did take less. A whole 2 million less over the course of the contract :L

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite what Phil was hoping for.

Sure wasn't. Looks like the Phil era is not off to a great start. Didn't get his coach, his 2nd choice seems clueless, they can't win a damn game and now Melo's hurt. You just can't make this up

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Phil get stuck with most of these contracts other than Melo? I don't think he's had enough time to install his blueprint.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher is the issue

Fisher isn't helping but the roster is godawful. No one on this team plays D and most have never in their careers.