• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Kolb is the answer

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks birds......I actually don't even take the time with this guy, his comments rarely extend past "smith is ruining the team".

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How does Alex get good Total yards, TD and many 300 yard games with the kind of team he had. For that to happen he needs at least one good WR.

What is the point of saying that. You seriously think the team could be in such a position or that if the offense were ever good enough to win 10 games Alex would be the only one causing them to lose.

I don't think this team can ever be very good with Smith as QB. That's all.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Those are counting stats, they mean nothing without factoring in attempts. If you project Alex Smith's Attempts to what Payton Manning had Smith's numbers project to have been 3638 Total Yards, 20 TD's, 20 INT.

In baseball do you also value RBI's and W's?

Baseball and football are apples and oranges but 20 TD and 20 INT is still no good.
If Smith threw 50% more this year do you think his passing rating would stay the same?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You never take the time to read anything after someone mentions Alex Smith do you?? Just like on ESPN...

He made a pretty clear point about Cassel doing well only with Charlie Weis on the Chiefs and in the perfect situation of New England. Just look at Cassel's QB rating to see that.
  • 2008 ~ 89.4 (With New England)
  • 2009 ~ 69.9 (Without Weis)
  • 2010 ~ 93.0 (With Weis)
  • 2011 ~ 65.5 (Without Weis)

As to Turner.
Aikman credits him for his Hall of Fame career. Rivers is obviously benefiting from his coaching... and only a complete fucking moron would think that turning Alex Smith from a 1 TD 11 INT guy into a 16 TD and 16 INT guy is not noteworthy. The Chargers obviously took notice when they hired him to coach up their 1st round QB.

Good for you though, for resisting the urge to say "if that passes for flourishing in Niner Land... yeesh"

Why bring up ESPN? I apologize for missing the Weissthing, that is am important factor.
About 2006...I didn't say that it wasn't noteworthy. I don't consider it flourishing. He got as lot better under Turner but I am not sure he would have ever flourished and been above average even with Norm.
What I really want to know is what point is trying to be made? What do you and Space think Alex Smith's ceiling is and what do you think his future should be with the 49ers?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks birds......I actually don't even take the time with this guy, his comments rarely extend past "smith is ruining the team".

Thanks a lot pal, I just wanted to know what your point was in regards to the 49ers QB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kolb keeps on living up to my expectations and glad the Cardinals flushed all what they traded and paid for him away for him.

Of course I say this now and he'll go off with a 500 yard 5 TD performance next week to make me eat crow.........

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kolb keeps on living up to my expectations and glad the Cardinals flushed all what they traded and paid for him away for him.

Of course I say this now and he'll go off with a 500 yard 5 TD performance next week to make me eat crow.........

Yeah all that talk about us needing to trade or sign a QB when the best QB in the division was already on our team and just needed to be re-signed.

To all those that say if Alex had left us he would not have been starter. I'm sure several teams in the NFL right now would love to have Alex Smith as their starter.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah all that talk about us needing to trade or sign a QB when the best QB in the division was already on our team and just needed to be re-signed.

To all those that say if Alex had left us he would not have been starter. I'm sure several teams in the NFL right now would love to have Alex Smith as their starter.

Mmm, baby steps, baby steps. Let's not anoint anyone, yet. Glad with the way he's playin'; I wanna see the whole season first.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW.....somehow I didn't realize until yesterday that Kolb got a 5 year, 62 million dollar contract.......hahahahahahahahahahahaha....there aren't enough hahas for that one. WTF could they possibly have been thinking, even if the contract is really only half that big it was the craziest contract in the NFL since Haynesworth, and overall the trade/contract is the worst deal in the league going back even further than that. The guy had done practically nothing in the league, its like they were paying him based on what bloggers were saying about him.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the jury is still out on Kolb. I know he has not lived up to his contract nor the trade the Cards gave up to acquire him but with no offseason and basically 4 preseason and 4 regular season games under his belt, it's a bit early to pass judgement... I am not saying that the Niners should have traded for him, what I am saying is that it's prudent not to take him for granted until we have a clearer picture on him. Is he a victim of the lockout as Wisenhunt claims or was he an overly hyped QB that was a creation of a QB friendly Eales' offensive system?

I am hoping for the latter .. :-)

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the jury is still out on Kolb. I know he has not lived up to his contract nor the trade the Cards gave up to acquire him but with no offseason and basically 4 preseason and 4 regular season games under his belt, it's a bit early to pass judgement... I am not saying that the Niners should have traded for him, what I am saying is that it's prudent not to take him for granted until we have a clearer picture on him. Is he a victim of the lockout as Wisenhunt claims or was he an overly hyped QB that was a creation of a QB friendly Eales' offensive system?

I am hoping for the latter .. :-)

What are the ingredients of a QB friendly offense?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW.....somehow I didn't realize until yesterday that Kolb got a 5 year, 62 million dollar contract.......hahahahahahahahahahahaha....there aren't enough hahas for that one. WTF could they possibly have been thinking, even if the contract is really only half that big it was the craziest contract in the NFL since Haynesworth, and overall the trade/contract is the worst deal in the league going back even further than that. The guy had done practically nothing in the league, its like they were paying him based on what bloggers were saying about him.

I know that the ability to cut players and the guaranteed payment factor somewhat mitigates the risk, but I don't understand why they needed to give him a long, rich contract. What was he going to do if they extended him three years? Quit? Phone it in? Demand trade? What were the players going to do? Quit because the FO doesn't believe in a QB that has played only a few games but was traded for a randsom? I know he could leave if you don't lock him up, but if he's good as they thought, wouldn't they then be able to extend him again? Did they think they were getting a bargain now because later he'd demand so much more? I just don't understand why people say in regards to big trades that they have to extend. I know you don't want to waste what you traded, but here, would they have if he were great? Now they *may* have wasted those picks and guaranteed money and a chance for a better QB later.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What are the ingredients of a QB friendly offense?

A QB friendly offense is an offensive system that excels no matter who the QB is behind center. Through the years, the Eagles' offense has been effective regardless who plays QB. The list of QB's that has performed well under the Eagles system yet seemed not as effective elsewhere includes Donavan McNabb, Feeley, Koi Detmer, et al.. So far it's too early to add Kolb to that list

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A QB friendly offense is an offensive system that excels no matter who the QB is behind center. Through the years, the Eagles' offense has been effective regardless who plays QB. The list of QB's that has performed well under the Eagles system yet seemed not as effective elsewhere includes Donavan McNabb, Feeley, Koi Detmer, et al.. So far it's too early to add Kolb to that list

That seems to be a heck of a system. The 49ers should try to implement one like that!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting. Where can we get one of those?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We already had one of those systems. Now, I wouldn't go as far as saying the system excels no matter who is under center... but a QB friendly system certainly doesn't fall off the map when the star QB gets injured.

I wouldn't even call it a system, as so much a QB friendly situation.

The 49ers had it when they kept winning games even with Bono or Grbac, while they moved on to the Chiefs and weren't nearly as successful as they were with the 49ers in substitution duties.

The Patriots certainly have this situation, Cassel proved it. The Eagles have this situation as well. He listed all the QBs who did well with the Eagles and haven't done quite so well away from Reid and his QB friendly environment.