• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Garnett: ‘I don’t think guys from 20 years ago could play in this game’

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
his lack of athleticism would be a problem today

Marc Gasol, Joker and Nurkic aren't exactly athletic. They know how to play the angles. I expect that Laimbeer would do the same.

And people need to quit "hot tub time machining" players from the past into todays game and acting like that's how they'd play. If they were playing today, they'd be playing today's style.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's not like every big today is particularly quick. There is still room for the Lopez brothers, Mason Plumlee, Cody Zeller, etc. Heck, Boban is still in the NBA.

And there have always been elite athletes from the past. Pluck Bill Russell out of 1960 and he might be the most athletic big in the NBA today. He was a high jump champion and he ran the 400 meter dash in 49 seconds. What big today can 400 meters that fast?

Well yeah I guess that’s a different argument, you’re naming some roster fillers there, so could Bill Lambier be that today? Sure but IMO the difference making Lambier, I wouldn’t see that in today’s NBA

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah I guess that’s a different argument, you’re naming some roster fillers there, so could Bill Lambier be that today? Sure but IMO the difference making Lambier, I wouldn’t see that in today’s NBA

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how he evolved.

Granted he was a very low draft pick so his skills didn't even jump off the charts then.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Gasol, Joker and Nurkic aren't exactly athletic. They know how to play the angles. I expect that Laimbeer would do the same.

And people need to quit "hot tub time machining" players from the past into todays game and acting like that's how they'd play. If they were playing today, they'd be playing today's style.

You may be right, Joker has an incredibly unique skill set we aren’t gonna see often, think guys like Gasol are popping up less and less in the league

this kid Garza at Iowa, probably player of the year, and everyone seems split on him as an NBA player for a lotta the reasons we are discussing

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same with Blake had he not completely lost his athleticism
That first year he came to Detroit, was impressive as hell.

He had became a complete player. Now it looks like he hurts when walking. That knee doesn’t have much left in it.

Great example of a guy changing his game mid career.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be right, Joker has an incredibly unique skill set we aren’t gonna see often, think guys like Gasol are popping up less and less in the league

this kid Garza at Iowa, probably player of the year, and everyone seems split on him as an NBA player for a lotta the reasons we are discussing
His feet are heavy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lambier?

his lack of athleticism would be a problem today

everyone is an elite athlete these days
Jokic has completely changed his body. But I wouldnt exactly call him an elite athlete.

I think Laimbeer would be an All Star today just as he was then. With major adjustments.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic has completely changed his body. But I wouldnt exactly call him an elite athlete.

I think Laimbeer would be an All Star today just as he was then. With major adjustments.

Doubt it.

He could play, he was pretty skilled. And let’s not be crazy enough to think he couldn’t refrain from assaulting people when they drove the lane. That was a calculated act by him.

But I think he would be like a better, tougher version of Brook Lopez. And not early Brook Lopez, the current version. That is a pretty good player, but not an all star.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it.

He could play, he was pretty skilled. And let’s not be crazy enough to think he couldn’t refrain from assaulting people when they drove the lane. That was a calculated act by him.

But I think he would be like a better, tougher version of Brook Lopez. And not early Brook Lopez, the current version. That is a pretty good player, but not an all star.
Laimbeer would be able to adjust, he has a very high basketball IQ (and is generally a very smart guy). I'm still mad he hasn't gotten a shot to head coach in the NBA. Wish the Pistons would hire him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it.

Look at the adjustments players made when technicals started being cumulative during the season.

They all adjusted soon enough. Laimbeer wouldn’t pull his thuggery for long. If he were playing now, his Dad wouldn’t make more money than him. It’d be worth toning it down.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laimbeer would be able to adjust, he has a very high basketball IQ (and is generally a very smart guy). I'm still mad he hasn't gotten a shot to head coach in the NBA. Wish the Pistons would hire him.
I don’t want him coaching.

TBH, I really dislike almost everything about the guy. But liked that he was on our team.

Mahorn I’d support. But I’d miss him on the radio.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the adjustments players made when technicals started being cumulative during the season.

They all adjusted soon enough. Laimbeer wouldn’t pull his thuggery for long. If he were playing now, his Dad wouldn’t make more money than him. It’d be worth toning it down.

Yeah, if he came up today, he would play totally different defensively.

My guess is that he would have a few Grayson Allen type moments where you think he is somewhere between really dirty and really clumsy.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want him coaching.

TBH, I really dislike almost everything about the guy. But liked that he was on our team.

Mahorn I’d support. But I’d miss him on the radio.
you dislike that he is smart, been able to get every team he has coached to improve, and won multiple championships as a player and coach?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s gotta be at least a roster spot for him, even if it’s for 5-10 minutes a game.
sure there is a roster spot for him, just like there was a roster spot for Jason Maxiell.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a whole.

Great players could play of course.

But like Shaq especially wouldn’t be as impactful. Kobe would be fine obviously.

I think what he means is that the average guard from
20 years ago wouldn’t be anything close to an average guard today.

And I agree with that.
Shaq wouldn't be as impactful? Come on dude lmao.