• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Smith retires

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the drama is over. 49ers now have about 12-14 mill in cap space.

Overall just a bad offseason.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's rough. Tomsula should be given a long leash next season. Hopefully with this retirement the expectations will be knocked down to achievable levels. If things don't go well next year, there are plenty of excuses.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the drama is over. 49ers now have about 12-14 mill in cap space.

Overall just a bad offseason.

I don't understand why this is so bad. We all knew this was coming the past couple of years and have drafted his replacement. DLine should be one of our least worries. Time to move on.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why this is so bad. We all knew this was coming the past couple of years and have drafted his replacement. DLine should be one of our least worries. Time to move on.
What I can't understand is why purguy felt the need to make a new thread about this.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, as I said in the other thread, I think for the long-term benefit of the team, this is probably a good thing. But man, will I miss J. Smith. Probably my favorite Niner since BY, and the only real competition is Gore and Willis.

Brutal offseason, but I kind of like starting more or less fresh this year. We're looking at a real youth movement, and committing to that is the only way we're going to chase down the Hawks any time soon. I'm excited to see what our young players can do.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as I said in the other thread, I think for the long-term benefit of the team, this is probably a good thing. But man, will I miss J. Smith. Probably my favorite Niner since BY, and the only real competition is Gore and Willis.

Brutal offseason, but I kind of like starting more or less fresh this year. We're looking at a real youth movement, and committing to that is the only way we're going to chase down the Hawks any time soon. I'm excited to see what our young players can do.

Boreland and Willis were unexpected. Maybe other than Culliver or Cox, this wasn't unexpected. I am looking forward to the season also. Alot of interesting subplots this season and I am looking forward too see how these things play out

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I can't understand is why purguy felt the need to make a new thread about this.

We already had a thread for JSmith. He probably felt this was of such importance it needed its own thread

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Class D lineman . The Cowboy will be missed on that 49ers line. A leader. Good luck to him.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,289.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody else (or else's) retired also if I remember correctly.

GoreRush

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I've been rare around here.

I will miss Harbaugh, Smith, Gore and Willis, but they had multiple opportunities to win a Superbowl, it just didn't happen. I understand what Baalke is doing. It's time for Carlos Hyde, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Dial, Tank Carradine, Aaron Lynch, Dontae Johnson and our other young guns to become the new faces of the 49ers. He's giving his draft picks the opportunity to contribute. If you're a 49er fan, you know these young cats are some ballers and they got swag. Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Aldon Smith and Navorro Bowman are the new leaders. The 49ers are younger, faster, and they're experienced. We still have plenty of talent to compete in this division.

(How do you like my optimistic act?)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree its a positive to move on but 1 year for armstead to learn from justin would benifit more.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot remember an off season so horrific as this.

Hang in there Niners fans.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry I've been rare around here.

I will miss Harbaugh, Smith, Gore and Willis, but they had multiple opportunities to win a Superbowl, it just didn't happen. I understand what Baalke is doing. It's time for Carlos Hyde, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Dial, Tank Carradine, Aaron Lynch, Dontae Johnson and our other young guns to become the new faces of the 49ers. He's giving his draft picks the opportunity to contribute. If you're a 49er fan, you know these young cats are some ballers and they got swag. Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Aldon Smith and Navorro Bowman are the new leaders. The 49ers are younger, faster, and they're experienced. We still have plenty of talent to compete in this division.

(How do you like my optimistic act?)

Gotta say, the one play that hasn't gotten enough buzz over the years in terms of Niners' exits from the playoffs is the "fumble" Bowman forced on Bradshaw in the 2011 NFCCG. Totally bogus forward progress call, particularly as Bradshaw never actually went down.

That play and Cary Williams not getting ejected are the two plays that really stick in my craw in terms of external forces having an effect.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot remember an off season so horrific as this.

Hang in there Niners fans.

It isn't that bad. In terms of players, we've had a couple of players retire or leave who old and near or at the end of their careers. We lost some players to free agency we were planning to lose and replacements were drafted. It isn't anything other teams or going to have to go through at some point with the salary cap

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall a lot of fan's on the old espn board hated the signing of Justin Smith 6 years ago. I for one and glad he proved everyone wrong.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'll cop to the fact that I didn't like it at the time. They were talking about playing him at OLB - and as I recall, kind of tried to initially - and that didn't seem like a fit at all. And I thought he was too expensive for a DE in our system. Glad I was wrong about that. He was worth every penny.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
it is hard to keep a good team together, cap issues and then age, takes its toll.

It appears Justin's shoulder injury was just too much to overcome now? So if the articles are true, we now know he wouldn't have been the same this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree its a positive to move on but 1 year for armstead to learn from justin would benifit more.

i don't discount 'mentoring' entirely, but do think it can be overrated. In Justin's case, he wasn't a 'player coach' type of guy.