• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Smith retires

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is hard to keep a good team together, cap issues and then age, takes its toll.

It appears Justin's shoulder injury was just too much to overcome now? So if the articles are true, we now know he wouldn't have been the same this season.

I watched Joe Montana, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott all go on to play for other teams near the end of their careers so this isn't anything we aren't used to seeing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I watched Joe Montana, Roger Craig, Jerry Rice, and Ronnie Lott all go on to play for other teams near the end of their careers so this isn't anything we aren't used to seeing.

hey, you old fart you. haaaa

yep, i went the thru the same era.

granted this isn't quite the same, Justin is retiring period.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't discount 'mentoring' entirely, but do think it can be overrated. In Justin's case, he wasn't a 'player coach' type of guy.
I disagree, most players have said Justin helped them. Aldon mention early on in his development(on the field). I just think having him for 1 more year would of been better. We now have one of the youngest Dline's in the NFL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I disagree, most players have said Justin helped them. Aldon mention early on in his development(on the field). I just think having him for 1 more year would of been better. We now have one of the youngest Dline's in the NFL.

and fine if you disagree.

now that we know his shoulder is still bad, he wouldn't have played well in games. So what you're saying is keep him and his high cap cost, just 'mentoring'.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and fine if you disagree.

now that we know his shoulder is still bad, he wouldn't have played well in games. So what you're saying is keep him and his high cap cost, just 'mentoring'.
Yeah why not. its not like we can really spend the extra money this year. We agree to disagree. No big deal.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey, you old fart you. haaaa

yep, i went the thru the same era.

granted this isn't quite the same, Justin is retiring period.

LOL, been a fan since 1980, old and decrepit. You must be old too, lol.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah why not. its not like we can really spend the extra money this year. We agree to disagree. No big deal.

Kind of irrelevant since he doesn't want to play any longer. If he can't perform on the field, then he is just a mentor on the sideline. Sometimes that value is overrated.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I've been rare around here.

I will miss Harbaugh, Smith, Gore and Willis, but they had multiple opportunities to win a Superbowl, it just didn't happen. I understand what Baalke is doing. It's time for Carlos Hyde, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Dial, Tank Carradine, Aaron Lynch, Dontae Johnson and our other young guns to become the new faces of the 49ers. He's giving his draft picks the opportunity to contribute. If you're a 49er fan, you know these young cats are some ballers and they got swag. Kaepernick, Anthony Davis, Aldon Smith and Navorro Bowman are the new leaders. The 49ers are younger, faster, and they're experienced. We still have plenty of talent to compete in this division.

(How do you like my optimistic act?)
Looks like Bowman will be the leader on D at this time. Others might play in later as new 9ers.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, the one play that hasn't gotten enough buzz over the years in terms of Niners' exits from the playoffs is the "fumble" Bowman forced on Bradshaw in the 2011 NFCCG. Totally bogus forward progress call, particularly as Bradshaw never actually went down.

That play and Cary Williams not getting ejected are the two plays that really stick in my craw in terms of external forces having an effect.
I remember that play and won't forget it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL, been a fan since 1980, old and decrepit. You must be old too, lol.

older and more decrepit than you, i used to watch John Brodie, Gene Washington, Jimmy Johnson, Wilcox, etc.. this is mid '70's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like Bowman will be the leader on D at this time. Others might play in later as new 9ers.

we might as well let new D leaders rise up, whomever those will be? Didn't they recently write Aldon might be one?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with that and Boldin or Kap or VD will be the leader on Offense.

I just want to see how A. Smith plays now with out Smith and Willis and Ray. They say Aldon looks great. Contract year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes, we can. We can extend our own players this year, or, if we don't, we can roll the savings over into next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Reid and Bethea will probably step up. Can't really see anyone at LB other than Bowman stepping up right now, or really on the DL, but we'll see. I could see Ian Williams as a leader at some point, but he's got to stay healthy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I just want to see how A. Smith plays now with out Smith and Willis and Ray. They say Aldon looks great. Contract year.

Staley may be the primary leader on offense. Then Boldin. We need Kap to start asserting himself, though. On and off the field.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I heard, Aldon worked really hard last season also.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy has been one of my favorite players. He's unselfish and relentless. Our defense is going to miss him - guys like him don't just grow on trees.

With that said, I'm anxious to see what the younger guys can do.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy has been one of my favorite players. He's unselfish and relentless. Our defense is going to miss him - guys like him don't just grow on trees.

With that said, I'm anxious to see what the younger guys can do.

I'm pretty sad that last season was the last time we will see Cowboy throw dudes around like they are small barrels of hay.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another bum
We don't need quitters on this team. Probably a reason we never won the Super Bowl with guys like Jim Harbaugh, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, and Chris Boreland. Let's hope our young guys are Winners.

Well wish I could say that with conviction =(
I'll say it in hopes there is some truth to it though and this offseason ends up being a blessing instead of a curse.