• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just want to see what you guys think of this

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say Indy get's Andrew Luck 1st in the draft next season. Would you trade Patrick Willis to get Andrew Luck? Yes the defense would be crazy weaker but Andrew Luck along side Harbaugh again.... does that make anyone tempted here?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Would you trade Patrick Willis to get Andrew Luck?

Hell to the yes.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It made me yawn and thus tempted to go to bed, does that count?

Okay, silliness aside, if Harbaugh can get to the playoffs with Alex Smith (assumption included) then I think he can do a lot with other QB's not named Addrew Luck. Thus, IMO, that makes Willis more valuable to our Defense than Luck would be to our Offense. Also, we know what we have in Willis, we can only speculate what we will get with Luck, so, no thanks.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a valid question and I would be very tempted. If I were a GM and knew how to judge and project talent and my HC (who knew the kid and knows a thing or two about QB's) agreed..I would pull the trigger. Franchise QB>>>franchise MLB. That said, I would cry like a baby seeing P-Will go....

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's a valid question and I would be very tempted. If I were a GM and knew how to judge and project talent and my HC (who knew the kid and knows a thing or two about QB's) agreed..I would pull the trigger. Franchise QB>>>franchise MLB. That said, I would cry like a baby seeing P-Will go....

OT: Dude! I just noticed you changed your avatar and member tag line - Effing Hilarious!!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That said, I would cry like a baby seeing P-Will go....

Many a tear were shed when the Niners traded Montana, but it was the right move. The Niners may not find a LB as good as Pwillie in another decade, but if they invest a little in draft picks(s) and / or money they could easily get a reallly good ILB. The same is absolutely not true about QBs. Getting a franchise QB is pure luck (pun intended). If you get one past round 1 you beat tremendous odds. If there's a great one everyone knows is great you have to be lucky enough to pick high enough to get him. If there's a chance to nab one you think will be great & you don't have a good / great QB you do it. JMHO.

I wanted the Niners to trade for Jay Cutler. I'd still love to have himb in SF. But if there's even a small a chance to get Luck even better.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT: Dude! I just noticed you changed your avatar and member tag line - Effing Hilarious!!!

I noticed the Avatar but the member tag line i never noticed. EPIC

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks, that shot is just so perfect. Schwartz looks like a sniveling psychopath there! Davis giggling at him is just icing.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That said, I would cry like a baby seeing P-Will go....

Many a tear were shed when the Niners traded Montana, but it was the right move. The Niners may not find a LB as good as Pwillie in another decade, but if they invest a little in draft picks(s) and / or money they could easily get a reallly good ILB. The same is absolutely not true about QBs. Getting a franchise QB is pure luck (pun intended). If you get one past round 1 you beat tremendous odds. If there's a great one everyone knows is great you have to be lucky enough to pick high enough to get him. If there's a chance to nab one you think will be great & you don't have a good / great QB you do it. JMHO.

I wanted the Niners to trade for Jay Cutler. I'd still love to have himb in SF. But if there's even a small a chance to get Luck even better.

Yep, that's why I would have to pull the trigger. Hopefully, I could use the Lombardi Trophy to catch my tears a few times.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, that shot is just so perfect. Schwartz looks like a sniveling psychopath there! Davis giggling at him is just icing.

I think he looks like he has a huge load to drop, but it's not coming out....

Doesn't he look constipated?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With rookie contracts under control you could justify trading Willis and Aldon and Iupati for the rights to Luck.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, that's why I would have to pull the trigger. Hopefully, I could use the Lombardi Trophy to catch my tears a few times.

Haha - Nice! Yes, I suppose that would work.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would that do to a team to trade away it's Captain? I'd have to assume that everyone who bought into Harbaugh and his "we're a team and a family" approach would be like, Fuck this guy.. he just traded away our Team Captain for his boy.

Comparing this to the Joe Montana thing is a bit extreme. The 49ers knew they had an MVP QB in Steve Young who just took them to the NFC Championship. That was the right decision because if you have to replace a great player, you can only do it with another proven great player. Let's not pretend the 49ers made that move on blind faith and optimism, they knew exactly what they had in Steve Young.

While the potential of adding the next great QB to the 49ers makes it seem worth it if he actually is the next great QB... but he's not the first QB to get this much hype all year long and bust out in the NFL. The 49ers would look stupid as hell to give away so much for the next Tim Couch or Matt Leinart, which is still a very real possibility for Luck.

Whatever positive things Harbaugh and Baalke put together this off season, would all be wiped away in one fell swoop if this type of trade went down. Just back to my first statement, no way the players would be OK with knowing that not even All-Pro team captains are safe on the team when a Stanford player is available.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Luck was going to have a for sure HOF type career then yeah I would. But right now he is an unknown. I think he will be great in the NFL, but there is no guarantee. Think about if the Ravens got rid of Lewis in his prime. He is the identity of that team. I think Willis is becoming that for the Niners. Yeah, he is "only" a MLB but I feel like he means more to the team and the defense than that. I wouldn't trade away Willis for anybody other than say, Aaron Rodgers. Manning/Brees/Brady are already too old to make that trade, and Luck/ Newton types still have much to prove.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would that do to a team to trade away it's Captain? I'd have to assume that everyone who bought into Harbaugh and his "we're a team and a family" approach would be like, Fuck this guy.. he just traded away our Team Captain for his boy.

Comparing this to the Joe Montana thing is a bit extreme. The 49ers knew they had an MVP QB in Steve Young who just took them to the NFC Championship. That was the right decision because if you have to replace a great player, you can only do it with another proven great player. Let's not pretend the 49ers made that move on blind faith and optimism, they knew exactly what they had in Steve Young.

While the potential of adding the next great QB to the 49ers makes it seem worth it if he actually is the next great QB... but he's not the first QB to get this much hype all year long and bust out in the NFL. The 49ers would look stupid as hell to give away so much for the next Tim Couch or Matt Leinart, which is still a very real possibility for Luck.

Whatever positive things Harbaugh and Baalke put together this off season, would all be wiped away in one fell swoop if this type of trade went down. Just back to my first statement, no way the players would be OK with knowing that not even All-Pro team captains are safe on the team when a Stanford player is available.

Great post. I agree with this.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Repped! Well Said, Three!

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about if the Ravens got rid of Lewis in his prime. He is the identity of that team. I think Willis is becoming that for the Niners. Yeah, he is "only" a MLB but I feel like he means more to the team and the defense than that.

I did think of exactly that and it made me pause but didn't change my mind. For all of his greatness, that team still needs a better QB to get to the SB. Flacco has flashes but he's not a "Franchise" QB. In my little scenario, Luck would be that true franchise QB.