• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just want to see what you guys think of this

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Is it just me or is Andrew Luck starting to get overrated?

I think he is.

He'll probably be real good, but will he be the best QB to come out of the draft in the last ten years? That list includes in no particular order: Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, Bradford, Cutler, Freeman, Stafford, Eli, Sanchez, Flacco, Newton, etc.

He might only crack the top 5.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

That'd still be pretty good. I'd trade Willis or anyone else on the roster for a chance to get one of the 5 best QBs on that list.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That'd still be pretty good. I'd trade Willis or anyone else on the roster for a chance to get one of the 5 best QBs on that list.

What if you muck up a Superbowl caliber defense by trading Willis and then are you forced to start Bowman and Larry Grant and all of a sudden the D becomes just above average?

The trick is to get a QB on the top 10 of that list without giving up a whole lot. Alex could crack the top 10.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I am not arguing that point. If you can GUARANTEE me that Luck = Elway, than sure, lets make the trade. And it took Elway almost his entire career to get a ring before he finally went on a tear at the end.

But Todd Van Poppel was supposed to be the best pitcher in the game for years to come.

Sam Bowe was better than Akeem Olajuwan and Michael Jordan.

I believe Luck will be a stud. But I KNOW Willis is a stud. The Niners are winning right now. Let's not mess with it.

IF the Niners end up losing the next 10 games, then I will adjust my stance. But if they do as I suspect, and go something like 7-3, than I do not want to blow up the team.

Sorry Cal. You're my boy, but comparing Luck to Bowie and Van Poppel is an awful comparison. Bowie was selected AFTER Hakeem and was never healthy. Van Poppel was the 14th player taken in his draft and the SIXTH pitcher.

Again, think LeBron and Stephen Strausburg....consensus, no doubt about it, first players taken.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if you muck up a Superbowl caliber defense by trading Willis and then are you forced to start Bowman and Larry Grant and all of a sudden the D becomes just above average?

The trick is to get a QB on the top 10 of that list without giving up a whole lot. Alex could crack the top 10.

double-facepalm1.jpg

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Cal. You're my boy, but comparing Luck to Bowie and Van Poppel is an awful comparison. Bowie was selected AFTER Hakeem and was never healthy. Van Poppel was the 14th player taken in his draft and the SIXTH pitcher.

Again, think LeBron and Stephen Strausburg....consensus, no doubt about it, first players taken.

Exactly. Andrew Luck is the Calvin Johnson, Mario Williams, Ndamukong Suh, or Julius Peppers at QB. He's can't-miss like those guys, but only plays the single most important position in football.

All these comparisons are ludicrous.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll one up that. The best ILB of all time isn't the same worth to a team as a franchise QB.

Having said that, trading Montana to allow Young to become the starter was the wrong decision. I would have rather traded Young and let Montana finish his career here. At absolute worst, Montana would have accomplished what Young did.

See, you did it again. Conclusory pronouncement with no supporting reasoning.

It's really annoying.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me or is Andrew Luck starting to get overrated?

I think he is.

He'll probably be real good, but will he be the best QB to come out of the draft in the last ten years? That list includes in no particular order: Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, Bradford, Cutler, Freeman, Stafford, Eli, Sanchez, Flacco, Newton, etc.

No, he'll be the best QB in a generation. I don't think most people have ANY IDEA how fucking good he is. He calls three plays in the huddle and decides which to run at the line. He is so far ahead of any other college QB in recent memory it's scary. If he stays healthy, he's a LeBron lock to be a HOFer.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he'll be the best QB in a generation. I don't think most people have ANY IDEA how fucking good he is. He calls three plays in the huddle and decides which to run at the line. He is so far ahead of any other college QB in recent memory it's scary. If he stays healthy, he's a LeBron lock to be a HOFer.

Will there be a light show in whatever city drafts him with the 2 other big names on the team to celebrate his induction to the Hall 3 days after he signs?

THAT kind of Lebron lock?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Calling Van Poppel the #14 pick, while accurate, COMPLETELY ignore the true story.

He was Stephen Strasburg of the early 90s. He fell to the As because of sign-ability issues.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll one up that. The best ILB of all time isn't the same worth to a team as a franchise QB.

Having said that, trading Montana to allow Young to become the starter was the wrong decision. I would have rather traded Young and let Montana finish his career here. At absolute worst, Montana would have accomplished what Young did.

Warty, Montana is a God to me, yet I disagree with your statement given the predicament that the Niners were in at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I think that is the case in this situation. Montana was coming off of BACK surgery (IIRC, it was his second such surgery) and Young was the league MVP coming into the prime of his career. Were you really willing to bet the house on a QB coming off of major back surgery in his mid 30's? We got a 1st and 3rd round pick for Montana and I have happy he had another two years in him. But that was not a guarantee at the time, nor was it even close. I remember holding my breath when he was paraded out there for obvious trade bait purposes, the Niners way of saying, "see, told ya he's healthy!", hoping he didn't get hurt....not for trade purposes but rather for the sake of one of my heroes being able to finish the game without leaving on a stretcher. Young was the correct decision and if it isn't for the Cowboys, Young would have had 3+ lombardis minimum himself. If you add in the Favre/Reggie White-led Packers and maybe we would be talking about Young in similar fashion that we talk about Montana.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith only has a 1 year contract right now and if he goes cold all the sudden (which I hope he doesn't) then I think the 49ers will at least try to pursue Luck (if st louis or indy gets him).

There's been a lot of news swirling around about how we cannot possibly win the Super Bowl with Alex Smith and they might be right and they might be wrong. One thing I know is for certain, if he doesn't work out then it's clear you got to go for a franchise QB.

Football is not just skill but faith, you have to have faith that you are aquiring the right players. You can have your doubts about Andrew Luck but if you don't take that shot to trade for him then you could be watching another future legend slip by. In other words you are going to be feeling just as bad watching him destroying defenses on another team as you would if he was on your team not living up to the hype. So really it's a two edge sword and sometimes you have to pull a leap of faith, go for that trade because this is one of those players you don't want to let go.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will there be a light show in whatever city drafts him with the 2 other big names on the team to celebrate his induction to the Hall 3 days after he signs?

THAT kind of Lebron lock?

Yes...and lots of dry ice....