• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just want to see what you guys think of this

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I get your sentiment but I think it's a bit over the top. Winning fixes alot of things. No one should feel that their job is "safe", it's not a right. This is a business and the business should be to win championships. Now, obviously, if you trade that All-Pro captain and get Ryan Leaf Part Deux, the GM will lose his team and his job. So you better be right with the move.

agree. winning fixes a LOT of things.

for the moment no doubt the players will be disspointed, pissed off, whatever description you want? but Luck brings us that big window for the NEXT 12 years.

two years into the trade, we'll have moved on.

again, yeah it hurts to lose P-Willie and not downplaying it, but no one player sustains winning like a franchise QB.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the consensus on Luck is so overwhelming, then he's the best prospect since Peyton Manning. if this still holds true this college season and into April, agree with this thinking.

yes, we don't know what we've got in Luck, versus knowing what we got in P-Willie. yes, it'll be VERY difficult losing P-Willie who's a huge piece of our defense. but winning consistently over time starts with a franchise QB. why has Indy been winning for so long despite the team not being so 'franchise'? why is New England still a good team despite their defense leaking oil?

i'd go ahead and take the consensus franchise QB prospect.

He's not even being talked about as a consensus franchise QB like Stafford or a Matt Ryan. He's being talked about as the BEST since Manning, maybe even since Elway.

You don't pass that up for a MLB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course, but there's no way a team would trade Luck for Willis.

i think every GM, HC, and fan in America would take Luck over P-Willie........except 49er fans. so not knocking those who chose P-Willie, its human nature.

again, for me the key was consensus franchise QB. you'll never know 100% till he plays, but his upside to the team huge.

as already mentioned you have a much better odds of finding a good MLB, than franchise QB. we of all fans should know this the best, we've had franchise QB's and then we hadn't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's not even being talked about as a consensus franchise QB like Stafford or a Matt Ryan. He's being talked about as the BEST since Manning, maybe even since Elway.

You don't pass that up for a MLB.

agree.

read an article about two weeks ago (?), said best prospect since Peyton. the writer said he polled NFL people and it was 100% unanimous.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think no doubt Indy would take Patrick Willis for Andrew Luck. Peyton Manning still is their franchise QB and one of the all time greats. Patrick Willis is one if not the best LB's/defensive players in the league. That would be a huge gain on their part because he is what you guys said, one of those special players that can make a whole entire defense better.

I also agree that it would be a slap to a lot of guys's faces to make this trade so I don't think this would even happen. It's a cool thought and if Andrew Luck turns out to be the next peyton manning, I'll cry...........

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That be a good trade for STL to do... essentially getting 2 of the top 5 picks and Marhsall to boot....

COME ON RAMS, win some games!

If the Rams ended up with the 1st overall pick and decided that they wanted to go with Luck instead of Bradford, if you were the 9ers GM and they (the Rams) contacted you would you trade YOUR 28th overall pick for the rights of Bradford??

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you guys saying that if he was a franchise guy he is worth much more than a MLB. But lets take Peyton Manning for example. When he came out people still weren't sure if it was him or Leaf. Now look how bad Leaf turned out. I know that Luck is considered better than Leaf and mentally more stable... but still... if they evaluated him to be so good and were that far off.... why couldn't the same happen to Luck?? Again... I do think Luck will be great, but you would be trading away a guy that is probably gonna be a first ballot HOF for an unknown. Now you give me Peyton Manning/Tom Brady 7 years ago and I would do it.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Peyton and Leaf were coming out and there was a lot of talk about which one should be the first overall. So many people were saying they were both "can't miss" prospects.

Are we talking about Willis, or Willis and some picks?

I knew someone was going to jump in with the "can't miss" thing. Luck isn't regarded as "can't miss;" he's regarded as "the best since Elway."

Neither Manning nor Leaf were as highly rated. Again, Luck is like LeBron or Strausburg in terms of "talent of his generation."

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think no doubt Indy would take Patrick Willis for Andrew Luck. Peyton Manning still is their franchise QB and one of the all time greats. Patrick Willis is one if not the best LB's/defensive players in the league. That would be a huge gain on their part because he is what you guys said, one of those special players that can make a whole entire defense better.

I also agree that it would be a slap to a lot of guys's faces to make this trade so I don't think this would even happen. It's a cool thought and if Andrew Luck turns out to be the next peyton manning, I'll cry...........

Were I you, I'd be loading up on the Kleenex now...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rams ended up with the 1st overall pick and decided that they wanted to go with Luck instead of Bradford, if you were the 9ers GM and they (the Rams) contacted you would you trade YOUR 28th overall pick for the rights of Bradford??

That's a better question, and I think I'd take Bradford.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you guys saying that if he was a franchise guy he is worth much more than a MLB. But lets take Peyton Manning for example. When he came out people still weren't sure if it was him or Leaf. Now look how bad Leaf turned out. I know that Luck is considered better than Leaf and mentally more stable... but still... if they evaluated him to be so good and were that far off.... why couldn't the same happen to Luck?? Again... I do think Luck will be great, but you would be trading away a guy that is probably gonna be a first ballot HOF for an unknown. Now you give me Peyton Manning/Tom Brady 7 years ago and I would do it.

Two things:

First, Peyton was never considered to be "the best since Elway," he was expected to be a solid NFL QB, as was Leaf. Luck is the consensus best QB coming out since Elway.

Second, there is a large value differential between the best MLB and the best QB....and I don't think it's particularly close. I'd hate to lose PWillie, but for Luck I'd do it...and as has been pointed out, so would every GM in football. Good grief, just look at how much the Wayduhs gave up for Palmer.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if i was the Colts, i'd take Luck and "rebuild". have to quote rebuild cause it might be too strong a description?

manning's contract might be a hinderance, don't know where it stands? but he's old enough to where you're looking ahead anyway.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

does he fit what Harbaugh wants? is he athletic and accurate?

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew someone was going to jump in with the "can't miss" thing. Luck isn't regarded as "can't miss;" he's regarded as "the best since Elway."

Neither Manning nor Leaf were as highly rated. Again, Luck is like LeBron or Strausburg in terms of "talent of his generation."

OK...so he's regarded as the best since Elway... that means dick in the NFL. And Tom Brady wasn't even on anybodies radar. All I am saying is evaluating talent is in no way an exact science.

As for Lebron and Strausburg... basketball is much easier to hit on "can't miss" guys and Strausburg has already had one season ending surgery.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

no doubt there is risk involved, there are no guarantees and this applies to ALL draft picks. but if its a consensus then its as close as you're gonna get to 'sure thing'?

yes, VERY hard to give up a MLB who's got one foot in the H-O-F, but if we're talking about the 49ers winning and competing annually for a SB.......next decade..........

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
OK...so he's regarded as the best since Elway... that means dick in the NFL. And Tom Brady wasn't even on anybodies radar. All I am saying is evaluating talent is in no way an exact science.

As for Lebron and Strausburg... basketball is much easier to hit on "can't miss" guys and Strausburg has already had one season ending surgery.

haaa, this is just a scenario that'll never happen, but i'm getting caught up in it. sorry!

anyways, one last post...........we need a franchise QB sooner or later, obviously sooner is better than later.

are you suggesting we pass on Luck and look for another prospect? someone who HAS question marks like Barkley or Landry? someone else with much less guarantee?

its goes beyond a player versus a player argument, the TEAM is much better off with a franchise QB. whats to say Luck doesn't make the HOF?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, logically you're all over the place here. Of course, nothing is a sure bet, but there isn't a GM in the NFL who wouldn't give up Willis for Luck.

Maybe the Packers, but only b/c Aaron is so young.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all we would never get Luck straight up for Willis, but since that is the question you have posed then it is an easy yes.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since i think the colts are going to have the 1st pic Manning + willis +mathis and freeny never would i hand a team a 2-3 superbowls like that ill pass