• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just want to see what you guys think of this

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would that do to a team to trade away it's Captain? I'd have to assume that everyone who bought into Harbaugh and his "we're a team and a family" approach would be like, Fuck this guy.. he just traded away our Team Captain for his boy.

Comparing this to the Joe Montana thing is a bit extreme. The 49ers knew they had an MVP QB in Steve Young who just took them to the NFC Championship. That was the right decision because if you have to replace a great player, you can only do it with another proven great player. Let's not pretend the 49ers made that move on blind faith and optimism, they knew exactly what they had in Steve Young.

While the potential of adding the next great QB to the 49ers makes it seem worth it if he actually is the next great QB... but he's not the first QB to get this much hype all year long and bust out in the NFL. The 49ers would look stupid as hell to give away so much for the next Tim Couch or Matt Leinart, which is still a very real possibility for Luck.

Whatever positive things Harbaugh and Baalke put together this off season, would all be wiped away in one fell swoop if this type of trade went down. Just back to my first statement, no way the players would be OK with knowing that not even All-Pro team captains are safe on the team when a Stanford player is available.

I get your sentiment but I think it's a bit over the top. Winning fixes alot of things. No one should feel that their job is "safe", it's not a right. This is a business and the business should be to win championships. Now, obviously, if you trade that All-Pro captain and get Ryan Leaf Part Deux, the GM will lose his team and his job. So you better be right with the move.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would not trade Willis.

What I am hoping for is the Rams have the worst record in the league, then I'd be willing to trade as many draft picks as necessary to get Luck. Even if it takes 3 first rounders I would do it.

The team doesn't really have any holes that we need to fill with 1st rounders, except maybe a LT if Staley doesn't hold up or a young stud CB. Aldon is progressing nicely and we can keep a guy like Brooks across from him, so we don't need a 1st round 3-4 OLB.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That would be a real kick in the ass to Alex Smith though if he continues to have a nice year, and maybe a playoff win, and then we kick him to the curb. That would be harsh.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a real kick in the ass to Alex Smith though if he continues to have a nice year, and maybe a playoff win, and then we kick him to the curb. That would be harsh.

Wouldn't necessarily have to get rid of him or Kap immediately. Like coach says, "throw the balls out there and let 'em compete."

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your sentiment but I think it's a bit over the top. Winning fixes alot of things. No one should feel that their job is "safe", it's not a right. This is a business and the business should be to win championships. Now, obviously, if you trade that All-Pro captain and get Ryan Leaf Part Deux, the GM will lose his team and his job. So you better be right with the move.

Players shouldn't feel safe when it comes to competition for their position, but this idea is not that scenario. This is trading away a team captain and arguably the best player on the entire team for an unknown Rookie QB who just happens to be the HC's college QB. This would have a really negative impact in the locker room, in my opinion. Even though Luck being from Stanford really has nothing to do with making this trade, I think the perception that Harbaugh went out and got his boy would still be there. Especially for the players.

I think it would be naive to think this wouldn't make Harbaugh's message a little hollow to the rest of the team. Which is never a good thing, Nolan lost the team overnight once the players realized he was a two-faced punk. Luck would need to be the real deal for this trade to not destroy the team from inside. While I'd agree that it would be worth it if Luck really is the next great QB, but I wouldn't want to wager what the 49ers have now become on something that is not even close to being a sure thing. I mean, it appears as if they've finally pulled themselves out of the gutter after a decade, I'd hate for them to get greedy and go all in and bust out.

That's too much like a pitiful story of a gambling addict who finally catches a break who gets enough to cover his debt, but instantly turns around and tries to get rich and ends up right back where he started when the next game busts him out.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Players shouldn't feel safe when it comes to competition for their position, but this idea is not that scenario. This is trading away a team captain and arguably the best player on the entire team for an unknown Rookie QB who just happens to be the HC's college QB. This would have a really negative impact in the locker room, in my opinion. Even though Luck being from Stanford really has nothing to do with making this trade, I think the perception that Harbaugh went out and got his boy would still be there. Especially for the players.

I think it would be naive to think this wouldn't make Harbaugh's message a little hollow to the rest of the team. Which is never a good thing, Nolan lost the team overnight once the players realized he was a two-faced punk. Luck would need to be the real deal for this trade to not destroy the team from inside. While I'd agree that it would be worth it if Luck really is the next great QB, but I wouldn't want to wager what the 49ers have now become on something that is not even close to being a sure thing. I mean, it appears as if they've finally pulled themselves out of the gutter after a decade, I'd hate for them to get greedy and go all in and bust out.

That's too much like a pitiful story of a gambling addict who finally catches a break who gets enough to cover his debt, but instantly turns around and tries to get rich and ends up right back where he started when the next game busts him out.

+1

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Suffice it to say, it wouldn't be easy to say yes or no. That's why Baalke and Harbaugh make the big bucks.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Anyone who says otherwise is thinking with their hearts, not their brains.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The same with Willis too... lol

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me add this, though. If you're the Miami Dolphins or Colts and you get the top pick. Baalke calls you up and says, "Hey, we'll give you #52" do you make the deal? I don't think so because you wouldn't give up a shot at a franchise QB for a MLB. So, conversely, if the 49ers had that chance they should take Luck.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say Indy get's Andrew Luck 1st in the draft next season. Would you trade Patrick Willis to get Andrew Luck? Yes the defense would be crazy weaker but Andrew Luck along side Harbaugh again.... does that make anyone tempted here?

Of course, but there's no way a team would trade Luck for Willis.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Luck is generally regarded as the best QB prospect of his generation. Think John Elway type sure thing. Similar to LeBron or Steven Strausburg in terms of "can't miss."

I'd make that move in a heartbeat. No worries though; whoever gets him won't be moving him...not for Willis anyway.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me add this, though. If you're the Miami Dolphins or Colts and you get the top pick. Baalke calls you up and says, "Hey, we'll give you #52" do you make the deal? I don't think so because you wouldn't give up a shot at a franchise QB for a MLB. So, conversely, if the 49ers had that chance they should take Luck.

Yeah, I guess that is the bottom line. I just hope the Rams don't wind up with the #1 pick... because they'll either get super rich by trading away the rights to Luck, or even worse, get Luck and richer by trading away Bradford. I mean god, imagine if the Rams got Luck and traded Bradford to Miami for Brandon Marshall, their #1 pick and maybe some later picks?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not trade Willis.

What I am hoping for is the Rams have the worst record in the league, then I'd be willing to trade as many draft picks as necessary to get Luck. Even if it takes 3 first rounders I would do it.
The team doesn't really have any holes that we need to fill with 1st rounders, except maybe a LT if Staley doesn't hold up or a young stud CB. Aldon is progressing nicely and we can keep a guy like Brooks across from him, so we don't need a 1st round 3-4 OLB.

In this scenario, I would guess that the Rams would trade Bradford before Luck. I wouldn't mind that either.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess that is the bottom line. I just hope the Rams don't wind up with the #1 pick... because they'll either get super rich by trading away the rights to Luck, or even worse, get Luck and richer by trading away Bradford. I mean god, imagine if the Rams got Luck and traded Bradford to Miami for Brandon Marshall, their #1 pick and maybe some later picks?

That be a good trade for STL to do... essentially getting 2 of the top 5 picks and Marhsall to boot....

COME ON RAMS, win some games!

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I remember when Peyton and Leaf were coming out and there was a lot of talk about which one should be the first overall. So many people were saying they were both "can't miss" prospects.

Are we talking about Willis, or Willis and some picks?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That be a good trade for STL to do... essentially getting 2 of the top 5 picks and Marhsall to boot....

COME ON RAMS, win some games!

If we have clinched and our playoff position isn't affected (for the sake of argument), should we let the Rams get a game or two? Ooooo, conspiracy theory!

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would that do to a team to trade away it's Captain? I'd have to assume that everyone who bought into Harbaugh and his "we're a team and a family" approach would be like, Fuck this guy.. he just traded away our Team Captain for his boy.

Comparing this to the Joe Montana thing is a bit extreme. The 49ers knew they had an MVP QB in Steve Young who just took them to the NFC Championship. That was the right decision because if you have to replace a great player, you can only do it with another proven great player. Let's not pretend the 49ers made that move on blind faith and optimism, they knew exactly what they had in Steve Young.

While the potential of adding the next great QB to the 49ers makes it seem worth it if he actually is the next great QB... but he's not the first QB to get this much hype all year long and bust out in the NFL. The 49ers would look stupid as hell to give away so much for the next Tim Couch or Matt Leinart, which is still a very real possibility for Luck.

Whatever positive things Harbaugh and Baalke put together this off season, would all be wiped away in one fell swoop if this type of trade went down. Just back to my first statement, no way the players would be OK with knowing that not even All-Pro team captains are safe on the team when a Stanford player is available.

Could not have said it better! Rep worthy!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That said, I would cry like a baby seeing P-Will go....

Many a tear were shed when the Niners traded Montana, but it was the right move. The Niners may not find a LB as good as Pwillie in another decade, but if they invest a little in draft picks(s) and / or money they could easily get a reallly good ILB. The same is absolutely not true about QBs. Getting a franchise QB is pure luck (pun intended). If you get one past round 1 you beat tremendous odds. If there's a great one everyone knows is great you have to be lucky enough to pick high enough to get him. If there's a chance to nab one you think will be great & you don't have a good / great QB you do it. JMHO.

I wanted the Niners to trade for Jay Cutler. I'd still love to have himb in SF. But if there's even a small a chance to get Luck even better.

if the consensus on Luck is so overwhelming, then he's the best prospect since Peyton Manning. if this still holds true this college season and into April, agree with this thinking.

yes, we don't know what we've got in Luck, versus knowing what we got in P-Willie. yes, it'll be VERY difficult losing P-Willie who's a huge piece of our defense. but winning consistently over time starts with a franchise QB. why has Indy been winning for so long despite the team not being so 'franchise'? why is New England still a good team despite their defense leaking oil?

i'd go ahead and take the consensus franchise QB prospect.