• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jump on the Texas bandwagon now. Charlie Strong to Texas. Grand Slam hire

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong isn't even Patterson's first Black HC choice, it was Franklin at Vandy, but that did not go over at all...Patterson was told to go after Briles, but Patterson half-azzed it and pizzed off certain big donors in the process, and so, Briles, who was actually interested, felt Patterson WASN'T honorable in how he dealing with him and the process, so, he politely told TX to go F-themselves...the Mora thing was a red herring and just bs put out by Patterson to make it seem like he was "trying" to move away from Franklin in his search...it was never legit...Saban/Jimbo never had a real shot after the Mackster incident due to Powers not wanting "dirty recruiting"...this is really about Saban, but, Jimbo is now lumped in with him by "friends" of the Mackster and Powers wasn't going to allow any real movement toward Jimbo...threatening Powers did nothing to move him from this perch because he is not up for review again in time to make any difference when the Hire is now...so, Patterson, pizzed he could not sell Franklin, opted for Strong(he interviewed Franklin a while back, well before Strong)...Strong is Patterson's power move vs the Big Money, who are split between names like Gruden, Jimbo, Saban, etc...they are not united, therefore, lack the clout they had as one group to remove the Mackster...Strong is a quality hire, just underwhelming in comparison to who TX OUGHT to be able to hire...Patterson let it be known that Dodds didn't exactly light it up with hires after Akers and no one truly knew The Mackster would do as well as he did, so, let it play out...its almost as if he is trying to buy a couple of mulligans...also, Patterson is more concerned with Sumlin and his recruiting success at ATM than Stoops at OU...I heard he thinks there is a good chance Bob moves on soon...not sure why he thinks that...maybe its from dealing with a bunch of agents recently...this hire is ALL ON PATTERSON, and if Strong does not do well, this will reflect all on him...risky...I honestly think that OU dodge a bullet that UT did not hire Luck instead...Patterson doesn't seem to have the "grace" to run BELLMONT...he is like a bull in a china shop worried his nutsack is about to be snipped...as far as Strong, like I posted, I think this is a good but not great hire for TX IF Strong actually accepts it(he toyed with TENN last year)...I think he will improve TX and they can become a disciplined tough team, but I want to see him have to coach against better coaches than what he faced at Louisville(see Patterson at TCU)...his recruiting is not as above board as the Mackster, so, with a lot more scrutiny, we shall see how that plays out as well.

Wow, that is completely fucked up.
And I like it.
:yahoo:
Here's to power struggles.:suds:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong isn't even Patterson's first Black HC choice, it was Franklin at Vandy, but that did not go over at all...Patterson was told to go after Briles, but Patterson half-azzed it and pizzed off certain big donors in the process, and so, Briles, who was actually interested, felt Patterson WASN'T honorable in how he dealing with him and the process, so, he politely told TX to go F-themselves...the Mora thing was a red herring and just bs put out by Patterson to make it seem like he was "trying" to move away from Franklin in his search...it was never legit...Saban/Jimbo never had a real shot after the Mackster incident due to Powers not wanting "dirty recruiting"...this is really about Saban, but, Jimbo is now lumped in with him by "friends" of the Mackster and Powers wasn't going to allow any real movement toward Jimbo...threatening Powers did nothing to move him from this perch because he is not up for review again in time to make any difference when the Hire is now...so, Patterson, pizzed he could not sell Franklin, opted for Strong(he interviewed Franklin a while back, well before Strong)...Strong is Patterson's power move vs the Big Money, who are split between names like Gruden, Jimbo, Saban, etc...they are not united, therefore, lack the clout they had as one group to remove the Mackster...Strong is a quality hire, just underwhelming in comparison to who TX OUGHT to be able to hire...Patterson let it be known that Dodds didn't exactly light it up with hires after Akers and no one truly knew The Mackster would do as well as he did, so, let it play out...its almost as if he is trying to buy a couple of mulligans...also, Patterson is more concerned with Sumlin and his recruiting success at ATM than Stoops at OU...I heard he thinks there is a good chance Bob moves on soon...not sure why he thinks that...maybe its from dealing with a bunch of agents recently...this hire is ALL ON PATTERSON, and if Strong does not do well, this will reflect all on him...risky...I honestly think that OU dodge a bullet that UT did not hire Luck instead...Patterson doesn't seem to have the "grace" to run BELLMONT...he is like a bull in a china shop worried his nutsack is about to be snipped...as far as Strong, like I posted, I think this is a good but not great hire for TX IF Strong actually accepts it(he toyed with TENN last year)...I think he will improve TX and they can become a disciplined tough team, but I want to see him have to coach against better coaches than what he faced at Louisville(see Patterson at TCU)...his recruiting is not as above board as the Mackster, so, with a lot more scrutiny, we shall see how that plays out as well.

Paragraphs pls!

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the Big XII Mr. and Mrs. Strong.

charlie-strong-wife-victoria-strong.png

"Where all the white women at?!" LOL, I just had to say it.......

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting interesting :pop2:

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may not be "credible" coming from a Sooners fan but the hard truth is Steve Patterson is clown act. I posted this link in another thread but here goes again. And I did call a friend with the Blazers who confirmed the story is accurate. He wasn't with the Trail Blazers when all this came down but he has talked extensively with people who were.

Oregonian columnist: Texas AD Steve Patterson hated media, screamed at staff, ran Portland Trail Blazers aground | Dallas Morning News

Second point: Charlie Strong will not succeed at UT. And when that happens anyone criticizing him will be faced with being labeled as something they most likely aren't. Charlie Strong is a good coach but (a) not the quality UT should have and (b) he isn't going to handle the Big 12 which is going to upset the UT fans.

We OU fans should probably just shut up and stay out of it. Let UT be happy with hiring Strong....and we can be happy they did. Either we're wrong or they are. Time will tell.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may not be "credible" coming from a Sooners fan but the hard truth is Steve Patterson is clown act. I posted this link in another thread but here goes again. And I did call a friend with the Blazers who confirmed the story is accurate. He wasn't with the Trail Blazers when all this came down but he has talked extensively with people who were.

Oregonian columnist: Texas AD Steve Patterson hated media, screamed at staff, ran Portland Trail Blazers aground | Dallas Morning News

Second point: Charlie Strong will not succeed at UT. And when that happens anyone criticizing him will be faced with being labeled as something they most likely aren't. Charlie Strong is a good coach but (a) not the quality UT should have and (b) he isn't going to handle the Big 12 which is going to upset the UT fans.

We OU fans should probably just shut up and stay out of it. Let UT be happy with hiring Strong....and we can be happy they did. Either we're wrong or they are. Time will tell.

I disagree Goldbug. I think Strong will be a solid hire and he won't shit his pants every year when he sees Bob Stoops across the sideline. I want a coach who will bring some toughness to this program. Our current roster is full of pussies, IMO, and that came from all of the coddling and spoiling by Mack. The good thing is, Strong is inheriting a full cupboard of talent with lots of returning starters next year. He just needs to toughen up this roster.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I thought they were hiring Mora. Or Saban. Or Briles. I thought they could get anyone they wanted!

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree Goldbug. I think Strong will be a solid hire and he won't shit his pants every year when he sees Bob Stoops across the sideline. I want a coach who will bring some toughness to this program. Our current roster is full of pussies, IMO, and that came from all of the coddling and spoiling by Mack. The good thing is, Strong is inheriting a full cupboard of talent with lots of returning starters next year. He just needs to toughen up this roster.

TE98, you guys are TEXAS for God's sake! You'd be better off hiring an interim coach if absolutely necessary (but you really should have kept Mack for 1 more year) and take your time to get The Coach you really need. Strong is a good coach, I'll grant you that. But he's nowhere near the coach you think he is, he'll set you up for a lot of internal dissension and the end result is you'll be looking for another coach in 3-4 years. OU fell into the same trap and we paid dearly for it. If you guys are happy with him then the OU fans should just let it be and wish you the best. But don't expect anything to change very much in the RRSO especially with an Oklahoma program that is finally on the upswing. As for your players being soft, they aren't. They are talented and love being Horns. Their problem is the UT assistant coaches have been found wanting and that's eventually stunk the place up so bad even the UT talent level couldn't overcome it.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Sooner giving advice about who should be the next Head Football Coach at Texas can't be taken seriously.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong has a very strong overall resume and comes from the coaching trees of some of the best in college football history. He might fail because you never know, but anyone predicting that right now is pure idiocy without facts on their side.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys, Goldbug and Wishbone, crack me up. The only people that said Texas could have "anyone they want" are media talking heads. "Texas has all the money" is another one. Don't tell me you actually buy into the media frenzy? The new name every day...

Being sensible, there are about what, 20-30 competent, experienced coaches who could POSSIBLY be in the real mix to become the new coach.

Texas gets a new AD, first one in 20-30 years or so. Texas does make a lot of money, but the big college programs also got money, so that's kind of irrelevant. The new AD makes a list. First, you put the best, the big boys, at the top. You know that it is a longshot for any of them to make a change and come. Some big money donors broached the subject with Saban last year, so you put him at the top. The best coach of this generation, so why not ask?

You narrow down the list, and you start asking agents for interviews. You are limited, as most of these guys are working on their bowl game prep, etc. A few agents and back channels say there MIGHT be a possibility of interest. So, you start setting up interviews as they become possible.

They interview Franklin several weeks ago. They interview Strong about a week ago. Briles people say he wants an interview, but the bowl prep is interfering. In the meantime, the news on one of the candidates has been really positive. His interview was good, and in the vetting, all the feedback from outside sources has been fantastic. The search firm highly recommends this one guy, out of two interviewed.

The other candidates, in line for interview, are told that UT has made a selection, and is going to proceed. The other candidates who have not had interview yet, withdraw their names from the list.

Don't understand what you guys are thinking, but this is the real world.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that you are a little worried, that somewhere, in the back of your mind, you see that this could possibly be bad news, down the road a little bit, for you. I mean, it is a possibility.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys, Goldbug and Wishbone, crack me up. The only people that said Texas could have "anyone they want" are media talking heads. "Texas has all the money" is another one. Don't tell me you actually buy into the media frenzy? The new name every day...

Being sensible, there are about what, 20-30 competent, experienced coaches who could POSSIBLY be in the real mix to become the new coach.

Texas gets a new AD, first one in 20-30 years or so. Texas does make a lot of money, but the big college programs also got money, so that's kind of irrelevant. The new AD makes a list. First, you put the best, the big boys, at the top. You know that it is a longshot for any of them to make a change and come. Some big money donors broached the subject with Saban last year, so you put him at the top. The best coach of this generation, so why not ask?

You narrow down the list, and you start asking agents for interviews. You are limited, as most of these guys are working on their bowl game prep, etc. A few agents and back channels say there MIGHT be a possibility of interest. So, you start setting up interviews as they become possible.

They interview Franklin several weeks ago. They interview Strong about a week ago. Briles people say he wants an interview, but the bowl prep is interfering. In the meantime, the news on one of the candidates has been really positive. His interview was good, and in the vetting, all the feedback from outside sources has been fantastic. The search firm highly recommends this one guy, out of two interviewed.

The other candidates, in line for interview, are told that UT has made a selection, and is going to proceed. The other candidates who have not had interview yet, withdraw their names from the list.

Don't understand what you guys are thinking, but this is the real world.

I had no idea we had so many SportsHoopla members who were in the media :rollseyes:

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could turn out to be a good hire...just it wont surprise me if 4 or 5 years he gets fired. is he gonna me given the same rope that mack brown had or will 2 or 3 straight losses to OU get him canned

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to educate the ignorant masses about Charlie Strong and his back ground.

As a graduate assistant he learned defense under these defensive coordinators

Joe Kines
R.C. Slocum

As a position coach he learned under these defensive coordinators

Zaven Yaralian
Gary Darnell
Ron Zook
Bob Pruett
Bob Davie
Greg Mattison

As a defensive coordinator he learned under these head coaches

Lou Holtz
Ron Zook
Urban Meyer

That is a varied and extensive background with many different coaches. Some of those names won't bring a bunch of credibility with the younger posters on this board, but a bunch of those guys were dominate coaches when they were in their prime only to flame out later in their careers as the game passed them by or they failed as head coaches. Charlie Strong has already been successful as a head coach. I like the hire. Nothing is guaranteed, but I think he is a safe hire and has earned the right to be a head coach at a major program. I questions anyones motives if they suggest otherwise.