• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jump on the Texas bandwagon now. Charlie Strong to Texas. Grand Slam hire

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys, Goldbug and Wishbone, crack me up. The only people that said Texas could have "anyone they want" are media talking heads. "Texas has all the money" is another one. Don't tell me you actually buy into the media frenzy? The new name every day...

Being sensible, there are about what, 20-30 competent, experienced coaches who could POSSIBLY be in the real mix to become the new coach.

Texas gets a new AD, first one in 20-30 years or so. Texas does make a lot of money, but the big college programs also got money, so that's kind of irrelevant. The new AD makes a list. First, you put the best, the big boys, at the top. You know that it is a longshot for any of them to make a change and come. Some big money donors broached the subject with Saban last year, so you put him at the top. The best coach of this generation, so why not ask?

You narrow down the list, and you start asking agents for interviews. You are limited, as most of these guys are working on their bowl game prep, etc. A few agents and back channels say there MIGHT be a possibility of interest. So, you start setting up interviews as they become possible.

They interview Franklin several weeks ago. They interview Strong about a week ago. Briles people say he wants an interview, but the bowl prep is interfering. In the meantime, the news on one of the candidates has been really positive. His interview was good, and in the vetting, all the feedback from outside sources has been fantastic. The search firm highly recommends this one guy, out of two interviewed.

The other candidates, in line for interview, are told that UT has made a selection, and is going to proceed. The other candidates who have not had interview yet, withdraw their names from the list.

Don't understand what you guys are thinking, but this is the real world.

TJ, the point we were making is Texas (in our opinions) is settling for a coach that doesn't measure up to what you could have had if UT had handled everything differently. And it's not all 20/20 hindsight on our part.....we are going on the record now. Time will tell if our predictions were wrong but they were certainly based on what we felt was the truth as we see it. Of course Sooners fans and Horns fans have a rivalry but we're all grown men who know the game of football. And we know each others' programs quite well; maybe well enough to be more objective than otherwise would be possible. We think UT is blowing the hiring of a new coach. If we're right then that will be proved in good time. And if you're correct in believing Strong will lead you back to football glory we'll be the first ones to suffer for it. Good luck to the Horns with your new coach. See you in October when we all can look forward to another RRSO that means so much to both of our football programs.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Fordman will recognize a bunch of those names on that list. Maybe not all with positive memories at Texas A&M, but I bet he knows their history that got them hired at A&M. And some of them were personally responsible for the wrecking crew years. Strong's defensive background is in elite company in college football and his defenses have backed it up over the years.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get this "Texas settled" for Charlie Strong. He was always one of the first 3-5 names that popped up when wanting a new HC.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get this "Texas settled" for Charlie Strong. He was always one of the first 3-5 names that popped up when wanting a new HC.

Any other program hires Charlie Strong and they are applauded. It's just a Texas thing as usual. Not to mention we had the audacity to want our AD to go after guys like Nick Saban and Jim Harbaugh knowing it was a big time long shot to steal them from situations just as good or better than what we could offer. A guy like Charlie Strong was always our most realistic option. And that isn't a bad thing.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the perception is texas wanted Saban, Harbaugh, Gruden, Mora, Briles, Fisher, Franklin, then Strong in that order.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the perception is texas wanted Saban, Harbaugh, Gruden, Mora, Briles, Fisher, Franklin, then Strong in that order.

What perception? Yours? Do you secretly work in the Texas front office? Other than Saban, Fisher, and Harbaugh I bet every single coach on that list could have been had. Don't be fooled by face saving statements to the contrary.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you didn't have to settle for a guy like Dooley, lol

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas gets Charlie Strong...and a new banner. Big weekend. :spy:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ, the point we were making is Texas (in our opinions) is settling for a coach that doesn't measure up to what you could have had if UT had handled everything differently. And it's not all 20/20 hindsight on our part.....we are going on the record now. Time will tell if our predictions were wrong but they were certainly based on what we felt was the truth as we see it. Of course Sooners fans and Horns fans have a rivalry but we're all grown men who know the game of football. And we know each others' programs quite well; maybe well enough to be more objective than otherwise would be possible. We think UT is blowing the hiring of a new coach. If we're right then that will be proved in good time. And if you're correct in believing Strong will lead you back to football glory we'll be the first ones to suffer for it. Good luck to the Horns with your new coach. See you in October when we all can look forward to another RRSO that means so much to both of our football programs.

Okey doke. I of course understand the point, every Texas fan wanted the 'super'hire, but I think this could turn out to be a super hire.

At the very least, the country club atmosphere of no accountability, is over. I always wanted a coach like Stoops, who is not the ceo of a country club. Our players have had a cushy, fun lives at UT, and with Strong, the entitlement era is over!

That's what I hope: a Texas program of players who know they have to work.

So, we'll see. I could be wrong. But I think after the interviews, this guy was Number 1, because everyone around the Texas program knows that the culture has to change.

And I think there are few guys out there who could really do it.

But I get the gist of yall's points.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could turn out to be a good hire...just it wont surprise me if 4 or 5 years he gets fired. is he gonna me given the same rope that mack brown had or will 2 or 3 straight losses to OU get him canned

that's a good question. The deal with Mack was, he'd lose to the Sooners, then win out and go to a good bowl, and end up ranked in top 10. He had a freaky good record over the years after losing to OU.

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas gets Charlie Strong...and a new banner. Big weekend. :spy:

Not for me it aint. I'm sick & tired of a coaching change every 4 years. And during those 4 years - I have to see our coach come home with SEC lip stick on his collar. Only this time, it's a shade of Big 12.

Sorry - I just gotta vent. Not mad at Charlie - this aint about him anymore. We're all just ripped apart by the anguish & totality of this endless cycle.

Looks like we'll get the final conformation tomorrow. Apparently we've sent a plane to Coloroda to airlift Jurich out so he & Strong can have a formal face to face tonight / tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rick Perry's cronies on the UT BOR(ie Wallace Hall and others) contacted Saban without notifying the UT President and without authorization. Something they aren't supposed to do. It was part of their continuing attempt to fire Powers. Guess what? It didn't work.

AFA Harbaugh, hell yes. We fans wanted him, but we also knew he was an impossible hire. AFA Gruden, that would have been a BMD, Red McCombs. Gruden has been out of football for many years and just likes the attention. No one really knows if he was willing to put in the hours necessary to be a successful college HC.

Mora? Give me a break. Contacting him was due diligence and only that.

Briles? He wasn't even willing to interview for the job. He only wanted the job, if it was given to him. Not the way UT works. ... and it's questionable if his ethics would work at UT.

Fisher? Why would he leave FSU, when they are peaking and he's got at least 2 more years with his QB?

Franklin before Strong? That's just silly. Strong has done so much more than Franklin, it only needs to be listed for the ignorant.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember us talking about Strong after the BYU loss. I said way back then that Strong would be my #1 choice if I were a Texas fan outside of possibly Nick Saban. Florida should be kicking themselves in the ass at keeping Muschamp and not throwing all of their eggs in the Charlie Strong basket.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for me it aint. I'm sick & tired of a coaching change every 4 years. And during those 4 years - I have to see our coach come home with SEC lip stick on his collar. Only this time, it's a shade of Big 12.

Sorry - I just gotta vent. Not mad at Charlie - this aint about him anymore. We're all just ripped apart by the anguish & totality of this endless cycle.

Looks like we'll get the final conformation tomorrow. Apparently we've sent a plane to Coloroda to airlift Jurich out so he & Strong can have a formal face to face tonight / tomorrow.

Stay tuned...

Not to kick a good man when he's down.....but I am expecting Isaiah Ford to flip to VT here pretty soon with the news of Strong leaving. :whistle:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Fordman will recognize a bunch of those names on that list. Maybe not all with positive memories at Texas A&M, but I bet he knows their history that got them hired at A&M. And some of them were personally responsible for the wrecking crew years. Strong's defensive background is in elite company in college football and his defenses have backed it up over the years.

Yup, I recognize quite a few. I think this is a great hire, and a typical Texas hire. Never thought they would retread someone like Saban or a massive name. They go and get someone who has done a great job recruiting and coaching at a smaller school, who has to work to get recruits. I give the hire an A+ and think he will be on his second contract in 5 years...not looking for a new job.

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to kick a good man when he's down.....but I am expecting Isaiah Ford to flip to VT here pretty soon with the news of Strong leaving. :whistle:

Yeah - I get that - and Daniel Gresham from Texas will - well - probably stay in Texas.

BTW - the only reports we've been getting all day have been from Texas - now we're getting word from Louisville sources....U of L specifically. Charlie's gone !

I'm dissapointed & I know this will sound like sour grapes & all...but good luck against OU & that Red River thing.

Boomer !

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can keep Daniel Gresham. I've never been happier with players decommitting than when Knox and Gresham left.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Andrew Johnson, Louisville CB

@CharlieStrongUL Thanks for everything. Wish u the best of luck at Texas. U built a powerhouse program. Just pray to god we never play Texas

You don't always see guys being gracious to a coach that is leaving.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat Forde doesn't think Charlie Strong will do well with the Longhorns.

What.

A.

Shock.

Y! SPORTS