• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jump on the Texas bandwagon now. Charlie Strong to Texas. Grand Slam hire

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I hear, there's one stumbling block, don't know what it is. I swear, if some of those rich old bastards who are still clamoring for Saban derail this thing with Strong, I'm gonna send my ring back in a box of turds.

And the Longhorn message boards are full of idiots not happy with this possible hire. The should all JSTFU

I wouldn't worry about those "rich old bastards." Most don't know poop about football. Everyone I've talked to kind of had him as their first choice. It's a good hire.

He has a lot of work to do though. It's going to be a painful first year. As I said before, we are going to see who's right about whether Mack was a great recruiter and just couldn't coach vs all his recruiting was media hype. I hope I'm wrong, but other than 2002, I don't think Mack was that great of a recruiter and will probably take coach Strong a few years to turn it around. He has my support.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what scares me about them, they 'don't know poop about football'. Sometimes, think they just want someone to carry around like a trophy wife, who can stand around talking about useless crap for hours on end.

I'm just rambling, just hoping we get a COACH, not a PR whiz, or schmoozer. Hire someone else to do that stuff, let the coach coach.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what scares me about them, they 'don't know poop about football'. Sometimes, think they just want someone to carry around like a trophy wife, who can stand around talking about useless crap for hours on end.

I'm just rambling, just hoping we get a COACH, not a PR whiz, or schmoozer. Hire someone else to do that stuff, let the coach coach.

Be careful with the "let the coach coach" line. That is what Nebraska has right now, and it can get ugly at times. In the new age of college football, the head coach needs to be as PR savvy as much as he knows the X's and O's. Hell, some of the best coaches aren't all that X's and O's savvy as much as they hire great coaches underneath them.

I don't see Strong as that type of coach though. I think Texas got a damn good coach, and a guy who will toughen you guys up while also being able to recruit like a champ. Surprising hire by Texas, but a damn good one in my opinion.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah HuskerOC, I certainly get your point. I just don't want them to hire someone who is great at PR and TV, but who cant coach worth a flip.

It's all a gamble anyway, just hoping for something good, you know what I mean?

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC you're the poster who wrote that Strong wouldn't go to Texas.

Are you still hurting from the beating that Strong and Louisville gave your team?

Think I wtote I thought he would be a bad fit. Still do.

Honestly didnt think ut would go that road. Matbe dey ready to let their coach coach?

And hurting? Lol. Bitter that our D hasnt been able to stop a snail with a hammer siince mr. and mr. Golden arrived? Ok.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mack was great at gathering all the fractured, lost fans, and getting them to put orange shirts on and go to the stadium. That was actually a incredibly difficult job to do in Austin, Texas.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a place where people would rather spend Saturdays at the lake, or Hippie Hollow, or running the trails, or riding their bikes or resting up to go listen to some band.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be careful with the "let the coach coach" line. That is what Nebraska has right now, and it can get ugly at times. In the new age of college football, the head coach needs to be as PR savvy as much as he knows the X's and O's. Hell, some of the best coaches aren't all that X's and O's savvy as much as they hire great coaches underneath them.

I don't see Strong as that type of coach though. I think Texas got a damn good coach, and a guy who will toughen you guys up while also being able to recruit like a champ. Surprising hire by Texas, but a damn good one in my opinion.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? I'm agreeing with you 3 times today. :wtf2:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard, that the holding point is that Strong wants to meet with AD Jurich, face to face. They've talked on the phone, but Jurich is in Colorado, and is having problems catching a plane because of the weather backing things up.

And that Strong wants to do things face to face, not via phones. The bad news for Texas fans is, Jurich is supposed to be the kind of guy that can talk you into changing your mind. But I don't think that will happen. :hope:

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mack was great at gathering all the fractured, lost fans, and getting them to put orange shirts on and go to the stadium. That was actually a incredibly difficult job to do in Austin, Texas.

True but racking up lots of wins will keep that going.

It's good to have someone who can do something more with Xs and Os besides play tic-tac-toe.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah HuskerOC, I certainly get your point. I just don't want them to hire someone who is great at PR and TV, but who cant coach worth a flip.

It's all a gamble anyway, just hoping for something good, you know what I mean?

I completely get the whole PR coach thing. Hell, that is Mack in a nutshell. And he was damn good at it.

You also have to remember where Texas was at before he got there. Mack did a lot of great things at Texas. While he didn't win as many conference championships and national titles as one would like, he did win a lot of games. (Bastard had an obsession with kicking the shit out of my Huskers.)

I completely understand Texas going after a true "coach" this time. And a hard-nosed defensive guy to bring back some toughness.

I never thought Charlie Strong would go west of the Ole Miss. Kind of makes sense though. With strong Florida ties, and now a complete go at Texas, he'll have no problems recruiting. Real question is if he can handle the heat of a real major program like Texas?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely get the whole PR coach thing. Hell, that is Mack in a nutshell. And he was damn good at it.

You also have to remember where Texas was at before he got there. Mack did a lot of great things at Texas. While he didn't win as many conference championships and national titles as one would like, he did win a lot of games. (Bastard had an obsession with kicking the shit out of my Huskers.)

I completely understand Texas going after a true "coach" this time. And a hard-nosed defensive guy to bring back some toughness.

I never thought Charlie Strong would go west of the Ole Miss. Kind of makes sense though. With strong Florida ties, and now a complete go at Texas, he'll have no problems recruiting. Real question is if he can handle the heat of a real major program like Texas?

The biggest question for Texas in 2014 is the QB position and how the next HC will react to it. Standing pat is not the solution, which is what Mack did last season. Ash was severely concussed in 2013 and it's my belief that he's been hiding the symptoms for years. I doubt he will be able to play in 2014 and if by some miracle he plays he won't finish the season. That leaves us with Swoopes, who will be a true soph with little playing time and true freshman Jerrod Heard who can play well in HS Championship games, but so did Garrett Gilbert(who was a bust).

I'm hoping Strong scours the JuCo ranks and gets a QB.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest question for Texas in 2014 is the QB position and how the next HC will react to it. Standing pat is not the solution, which is what Mack did last season. Ash was severely concussed in 2013 and it's my belief that he's been hiding the symptoms for years. I doubt he will be able to play in 2014 and if by some miracle he plays he won't finish the season. That leaves us with Swoopes, who will be a true soph with little playing time and true freshman Jerrod Heard who can play well in HS Championship games, but so did Garrett Gilbert(who was a bust).

I'm hoping Strong scours the JuCo ranks and gets a QB.

This.

I know swoops hasn't played much but from what I have seen he wasnt that impressive. I seen him play at whitewright and he was solid but right now the game is too fast for him and he seems timid. Perhaps strong can change that, who knows.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas is fine at QB. Strong had no problems developing Bridgewater, a QB he recruited. I doubt he can't find himself a quality QB.

I do agree that Ash is done. I don't think he ever plays football again. Texas also has Jalen Overstreet, a Denard Robinson type guy that converted from QB last year.

The only question is his staff. I hope he keeps Duane Akina, but most likely the entire staff is toast.

Now if we can get Patterson to do something about the Bball and baseball coaches.......

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong has done alot with a little. Will be interesting to see what he can do with the quality of players he has with TexASS.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know how a black head football coach at texas is going to be accepted in a liberal city full of hippies and gays.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a couple of those big-time verbal commits just might switch to Texas to play for Strong...

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't know how a black head football coach at texas is going to be accepted in a liberal city full of hippies and gays.

Happy New Year! By the way, it's 2014.